Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5104344 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23730 on: October 05, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
You know our next question:  Did he leave the soiled diaper on the shelf?  :-\

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23731 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »

So after several attempts to explain that organically grown mushrooms are grown in sterilized horse manure and therefore NOT Vegan friendly, he gave up and sold them what they asked for.

There are many different types of veganism and many different reasons to go vegan. Not all vegans are vegans due to the ethical implications, many are due to the health benefits and so are still very happy to use leather and manure. Others will use manure as it is a byproduct of the animal living and does not affect the animal to have it collected, and so fits into their ethical viewpoint.

The women asked your husband for mushrooms, not his opinion of their veganism. I think he was quite rude to argue with them about it and to judge them on whether their view of veganism is the right one.

I thought vegans use zero animal products, otherwise they are some form of vegetarians.  I'm not arguing, it's just what I always thought.  Perhaps I need to research more.

Anyway, from the way the girls acted, they are still rude SS.  If they know what they are talking about, it's easy to say "Thanks for the information, but it's fine.  I still want the mushrooms."

StarFaerie

« Reply #23732 on: October 05, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

So after several attempts to explain that organically grown mushrooms are grown in sterilized horse manure and therefore NOT Vegan friendly, he gave up and sold them what they asked for.

There are many different types of veganism and many different reasons to go vegan. Not all vegans are vegans due to the ethical implications, many are due to the health benefits and so are still very happy to use leather and manure. Others will use manure as it is a byproduct of the animal living and does not affect the animal to have it collected, and so fits into their ethical viewpoint.

The women asked your husband for mushrooms, not his opinion of their veganism. I think he was quite rude to argue with them about it and to judge them on whether their view of veganism is the right one.

I thought vegans use zero animal products, otherwise they are some form of vegetarians.  I'm not arguing, it's just what I always thought.  Perhaps I need to research more.

Anyway, from the way the girls acted, they are still rude SS.  If they know what they are talking about, it's easy to say "Thanks for the information, but it's fine.  I still want the mushrooms."

I'm not saying they were right or not rude but according to the OP, he "tried to explain why organically grown mushrooms were not Vegan friendly but they would not listen.  Just got louder and shriller, demanding  he give them "organically grown prtabela mushrooms because we are Vegan and we NEED them!!"" and "made several attempts to explain". This to me means that they persisted in asking for what they wanted and he, instead of just giving it to them, argued with them. If I was asking for something and the shop assistant kept telling me why I was wrong and refusing to get them for me, I'd get a bit upset too.

He also seems to have decided that he knows everything about living a vegan lifestyle and what it means to them individually, as he decided that "By the way they acted they had no clue what was involved in actually following a Vegan lifestyle, especially since he noted they were also both carrying purses of a brand that only uses leather to make their  products"

The women were pretentious and rude to declare that they needed it because they were vegan, and he was right to give them the knowledge that they were grown in horse manure, but I don't think it is SS to insist on being served what you asked for.

Without getting too deep into it, there are as many types of vegans as there are other types of vegetarians and I have seen vegans having stand up fights about whether honey is vegan or not, let alone manure. Living a life with no impact on any animal and which does not use any animal products can be almost impossible, so a line must be drawn somewhere and it seems to be drawn at many different places for different people (if horse manure is not OK, what about the worm castings that are naturally in the soil, is that also bad, and so on). If you want to know more there are many excellent websites and forums.

(BTW, I'm an omnivore, I just know a lot of vegans so I spent quite a bit of time looking into it to make sure I could cook for them, and then found out how complex it is and so have had to talk specifically with each to find out where their line is drawn)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:57:22 PM by StarFaerie »

andi

« Reply #23733 on: October 05, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
Hmm - never looked at it that way. Why it's always good to get new perspectives.

StarFaerie

« Reply #23734 on: October 06, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »
Hmm - never looked at it that way. Why it's always good to get new perspectives.

You are a lovely person :) I read back what i wrote and saw it could be seen as aggressive, so was going to change it. And then I saw your post. Seriously, you are just nice.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23735 on: October 06, 2013, 04:29:58 AM »

You are a lovely person :) I read back what i wrote and saw it could be seen as aggressive, so was going to change it. And then I saw your post. Seriously, you are just nice.

...and this is what keeps me coming back here, folks.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

faithlessone

« Reply #23737 on: October 06, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »
Bridezilla
http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2013/10/todays-batsht-crazy-bride-does.html

Goodness, I just want to shake all the brides who think this way. Have a wedding YOU CAN AFFORD. If you need your guests to pay for the wedding, you've spent too much money.

And anyone who calls out their guests for "coming for free" should be consigned to a very Special area of eHell.

Jones

« Reply #23738 on: October 06, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
There is a thread on that very exchange going on right now. It's sad that the guest had already attended the wedding, and therefore couldn't simply bow out when finding out about the monetary "requirement".

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #23739 on: October 06, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
I like this grandma, she handled the situation well, and I hope the man learned something!

http://notalwaysright.com/capable-of-handicapping-the-capable/32138
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23740 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Where is the wedding thread?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Editeer

« Reply #23741 on: October 06, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23742 on: October 06, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
I like this grandma, she handled the situation well, and I hope the man learned something!

I just saw that one. thought it was great how she handled it.

squeakers

« Reply #23743 on: October 06, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »

No handicapped plate/ placard ? Grandma should have turned him in.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Psychopoesie

« Reply #23744 on: October 06, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

No handicapped plate/ placard ? Grandma should have turned him in.

It's a good story - go grandma! However, like a lot of the not always right ones, I do wonder about it.

The grandma had to park further away and walked with a cane yet managed to catch up with the young guy who stole her parking spot?

It is possible if he parked there to wait for someone, perhaps, that she would have caught up with him. Maybe he got out of the car to wait and that's when the grandma had a chance to talk with him.

Still, I'm suspicious of the ones that have storybook endings like this.