Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5532672 times)

Yarnspinner

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23865 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
A big 'ol roll of the eyes to the SS acquaintance who decided that the best response to a minor disagreement  was to cut me off and un-friend me on FaceBook.... who threw a tantrum that I didn't notice the un-friending until it was pointed out to me... and then threw another tantrum when my response to the news of the un-friending was "I really don't care".   

The cut direct.  Un-friending.  These do not mean what I think that you think they mean....

And this is a grown woman in her late 30s with two kids by the way... not a middle school tween, behavior notwithstanding.
I had my FB account hacked, and it sent out emails supporting a political position I definitely do not support. Friends who knew me well were amused by this, and posted notes joking about the change in my politics. Another friend, who DOES support that position, jumped on one of those posters, criticizing her politics. I posted a note saying that it was just a joke about my politics, and that surely Another Friend would have been struck by the incongruity of me espousing that position, since upon many, many occasions we had discussed politics and didn't she think it was amusing to imagine me making such a 180 turn?
Apparently it wasn't amusing to her, because she unfriended me. I am not distraught.

My grandmother was part of the donkey party her whole life, and my uncle who gave her eulogy joked that he knew she was slipping when he went through her register and saw she'd donated money to the elephant party because she would have never done that before the Alzheimer's set in. 

Even the family members who were part of the elephant party had to chuckle at that one simply because it really was so out of character for Grandma. 

A friend cut me (and two other friends) off because she did not like our politics.  In order to prove that we were wrong, she sent us a very snide email she had received (filled, I might add with half truths about our candidate and turning her candidate into a saint).  There were fifteen points criticizing my party and celebrities connected with it.  Almost all of it was taken out of context.

So one friend and I decided to answer the fifteen points with actual research and facts.

And that was the last we ever heard from her.  All emails went unanswered.

The really wild thing here...the two people she cut off with me?  They belong to HER party.  It was just that their party candidate that year was, well, less than stellar.

Belle

« Reply #23866 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
Here's a closed-doesn't-actually-mean-closed snowflake:

http://q13fox.com/2013/10/15/teacher-ticketed-for-trying-to-take-students-to-national-park/?hpt=us_bn10#axzz2hjmV1Wm5

<snip>This weekend, Sanders was hosting some international students from Japan. She wanted them to see the park, so she did a quick check on the National Park Service website to see if she could go.

“I didn’t see anything saying I could not,” she said. “When I got to the park, there was a partial barricade. But there was a full lane open.”

There was a sign on the barricade, but Sanders was confused by the use of the word ‘facility.’

“I thought that meant the gift shop and the restrooms and the ranger station, I didn’t think it meant the waterfall and the path. It didn’t occur to me that I was breaking the law, at all.”

But within minutes, a park ranger showed up and wrote her and several other visitors $125 tickets for ‘violation of closure.’

I actually wanted to look it up to see if it’s a real law I violated, or if it’s just to communicate a point,” Sanders said.

Really?

I would give her the benefit of the doubt. The last I heard there were several states and local governments who were planning to re-open the national parks using their own funds. The lack of tourism was killing their economy, so it was better for them to temporarily provide the funds than to keep them closed. It looks like Utah has re-opened some of their parks, and both the Grand Canyon and the Statue of Liberty are open, for a few examples. If I were the teacher, I would have assumed the local or state government had partially re-opened the park (e.g., the trails, but perhaps not the shops).

I can see me doing the same thing she did. (Actually, now that I think about it, I did do something similar last May. I was planning on going down a road that was scheduled to close 6:30 am due to a local festival. Festival directions explicately gave this road as a potential route, with the note that it would close at 6:30am. I arrived at 5:30 am to find a barricade blocking one lane, but not the other. I paused, saw a cop parked on the road, and decided I would pull up to her and make sure I was ok to drive on it. I thought the barricade was there in preparation for the 6:30 close. Before I could even get a word out, she started yelling at me. Oops!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:00:27 PM by Belle »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23867 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
We've had several provincial parks closed here because of budget cuts.  You are no longer allowed to drive in; there are no rangers; there are no programs being run; the washroom facilities are locked.  But you are still allowed to walk in and use the trails, beaches, whatever natural amentities are available, basically at your own risk.  And you no longer have to pay for it!

So a visitor to the area, I could understand.  But not a local.

Because of the federal government shutdown in the US, all national parks are closed.  This has been widely discussed in every form of news media - tv, radio, online, print - so it's odd that she hadn't at least heard of it.

Except that now the states are being allowed to eat the costs to reopen some of them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

carol1412

« Reply #23868 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
Here's a closed-doesn't-actually-mean-closed snowflake:

http://q13fox.com/2013/10/15/teacher-ticketed-for-trying-to-take-students-to-national-park/?hpt=us_bn10#axzz2hjmV1Wm5

<snip>This weekend, Sanders was hosting some international students from Japan. She wanted them to see the park, so she did a quick check on the National Park Service website to see if she could go.

“I didn’t see anything saying I could not,” she said. “When I got to the park, there was a partial barricade. But there was a full lane open.”

There was a sign on the barricade, but Sanders was confused by the use of the word ‘facility.’

“I thought that meant the gift shop and the restrooms and the ranger station, I didn’t think it meant the waterfall and the path. It didn’t occur to me that I was breaking the law, at all.”

But within minutes, a park ranger showed up and wrote her and several other visitors $125 tickets for ‘violation of closure.’

I actually wanted to look it up to see if it’s a real law I violated, or if it’s just to communicate a point,” Sanders said.

Really?

I would give her the benefit of the doubt. The last I heard there were several states and local governments who were planning to re-open the national parks using their own funds. The lack of tourism was killing their economy, so it was better for them to temporarily provide the funds than to keep them closed. It looks like Utah has re-opened some of their parks, and both the Grand Canyon and the Statue of Liberty are open, for a few examples. If I were the teacher, I would have assumed the local or state government had partially re-opened the park (e.g., the trails, but perhaps not the shops).

I can see me doing the same thing she did. (Actually, now that I think about it, I did do something similar last May. I was planning on going down a road that was scheduled to close 6:30 am due to a local festival. Festival directions explicately gave this road as a potential route, with the note that it would close at 6:30am. I arrived at 5:30 am to find a barricade blocking one lane, but not the other. I paused, saw a cop parked on the road, and decided I would pull up to her and make sure I was ok to drive on it. I thought the barricade was there in preparation for the 6:30 close. Before I could even get a word out, she started yelling at me. Oops!)

So the park is closed and no one is being paid to staff it, but a ranger shows up in just a couple of minutes?  :o

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23869 on: October 16, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
She was totally an SS who decided that because the website didn't specifically say "Olympic National Park is closed because of the government shutdown", that it wasn't actually closed and she could go if she wanted to.  Her exact words were “I didn’t see anything saying I could not,”

If she actually did go to the park website then she would have been redirected to the NPS shutdown notice page.  The very first sentence is "Because of the federal government shutdown, national parks are closed"  Further down the page, they request that everyone honor the park closures until the shutdown is over.

On that page there is also a list of specific national parks that have been opened due to states offering to cover operating costs.  So far only Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New York, North Carolina/Tennessee are the states that are covering the costs for some parks to open.  The shutdown notice page is being updated daily with the list of parks that states are opening. 

At many of the national parks there are rangers on duty, but the rangers who are responsible for customer facing and non essential duties have been furloughed.  So the roads need to be kept partially open so staff can enter and exit.

Hillia

« Reply #23870 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
She was totally an SS who decided that because the website didn't specifically say "Olympic National Park is closed because of the government shutdown", that it wasn't actually closed and she could go if she wanted to.  Her exact words were “I didn’t see anything saying I could not,”

If she actually did go to the park website then she would have been redirected to the NPS shutdown notice page.  The very first sentence is "Because of the federal government shutdown, national parks are closed"  Further down the page, they request that everyone honor the park closures until the shutdown is over.

On that page there is also a list of specific national parks that have been opened due to states offering to cover operating costs.  So far only Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New York, North Carolina/Tennessee are the states that are covering the costs for some parks to open.  The shutdown notice page is being updated daily with the list of parks that states are opening. 

At many of the national parks there are rangers on duty, but the rangers who are responsible for customer facing and non essential duties have been furloughed.  So the roads need to be kept partially open so staff can enter and exit.

Some park rangers are certified peace officers, so they're considered law enforcement - my understanding is that law enforcement personnel are considered essential and are not affected by the shutdown.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23871 on: October 16, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »
I'm nominating the person in front of me in the left-turn lane, who ignored the green turn arrow and just sat there until the arrow turned red, then sneaked forward and turned left through a tiny gap in the oncoming cars!

I'm not sure this sort of thing is truly a Special Snowflake. I think it's just someone who had a brain fart.

cwm

« Reply #23872 on: October 16, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
Actually, PastryGoddess, add South Dakota to that list. They've opened Mount Rushmore back up to the public as well.

Still, this woman is an SS. Minimal amounts of rangers on staff are essential employees. They need to be there to spot fires, to watch for people coming in so they can be turned away, they need to be there to make sure nobody gets in and vandalizes the facilities, making it more expensive for the parks to be re-opened in the future. Also, some people live inside national parks, and even with the parks shut down, they have to have access to their homes, so all the roads may not be blocked off all the time.

Addy

« Reply #23873 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

I have to say, I find the wording used on that page quite vague. "In the meantime, we respectfully request that you honor all park closures. With more than 20,000 National Park Service employees furloughed, the staff that remain on duty are focused on protecting park resources and human life and safety and cannot provide the visitor services that you have come to expect from us for nearly 100 years."

Using the words "request that you honor" park closures makes it seem like an option. And the second line there is using classic JADE moves. I can see someone saying to themselves, "oh, the problem is that there are no services available, but we don't need them anyway." I guess maybe they were trying to soften the blow but I think it would have been clearer to outright state that the parks are closed, no one is allowed in and anyone who does enter is breaking such-and-such a law and will be charged. Because, you know, if it's written there in black and white, everyone will read it and understand.  ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23874 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »

I have to say, I find the wording used on that page quite vague. "In the meantime, we respectfully request that you honor all park closures. With more than 20,000 National Park Service employees furloughed, the staff that remain on duty are focused on protecting park resources and human life and safety and cannot provide the visitor services that you have come to expect from us for nearly 100 years."

Using the words "request that you honor" park closures makes it seem like an option. And the second line there is using classic JADE moves. I can see someone saying to themselves, "oh, the problem is that there are no services available, but we don't need them anyway." I guess maybe they were trying to soften the blow but I think it would have been clearer to outright state that the parks are closed, no one is allowed in and anyone who does enter is breaking such-and-such a law and will be charged. Because, you know, if it's written there in black and white, everyone will read it and understand.  ::)

Well I do understand the "request that you honor" wording.  I am on the executive committee of the Trail Patrol for the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club.  We maintain ALL of the trails in Shenandoah as well as several trails in 2 national forests.  There are through hikers on the AT who are being allowed to enter into Shenandoah, Harpers Ferry, and the C&O canal.   However, trail angels cannot get to them so they are going longer without support and assistance.  Also as cwm says, there are people who live in or next to the park.  They may have trails on their property that allow access to the park without going through an entrance station.  With the national forests, trailheads are often a parking area on the side of the road found only by plugging in a GPS coordinate. 

Many of the rangers who are responsible for patrolling sections of the park are all furloughed.  So if someone goes into the park and gets injured, it will take that much longer for them to get help.  And that's if they are even able to get a radio or cellphone signal at all.

Yay South Dakota...If only Virginia would get it's act together.

MrTango

« Reply #23875 on: October 16, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »
This morning on one of the morning shows, I heard people talking about ways they deterred sales people who came by unsolicited.  Some of things seemed to be a bit snowflakey from what I can recall.   If a salesperson or other solicitor rings my doorbell, I will kindly turn them away - I do not need a new vacuum (have 1 already), hear your political speech (not a political person here), or you trying to tell me about your religion (happy with my choice of Deity and faith).
I keep a hand-and-a-half sword near the front door. Oddly enough, people are strangely reluctant to peeve a person who has a large and lethal-looking sword within arm's reach.

That sounds like a fabulous idea.  Unfortunately, the entryway of my house is too confined to safely wield a bladed weapon.  I keep a Maglite (3 D-cell batteries) within reach of the front door.  It's the same Maglite that I kept on my belt when I was a security guard.  Fortunately, in all of that time, I've never had to use it for self-defense except in training situations.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23876 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
After a very unsettling experience in the summer, I now keep my baseball bat beside the front door.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23877 on: October 16, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
I keep an aluminum tee ball bat by my front door and another in my car. They are both hot pink and easy to see.

clio917

« Reply #23878 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
In regards to the Nat'l Park closures, the road that runs through that part of Olympic National Park is a regular state highway (and as far as I know, the only main road in that area of the penninsula), so I think the road is open to driving, you just aren't allowed to stop at any national park property (pretty much anything on the side of the road). I can understand the lady's confusion, it's a messy situation.

greencat

« Reply #23879 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.