Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5640116 times)

Jones

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23880 on: October 16, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.
Perhaps a stick shift and they had a clutch issue? I used to have that problem a lot when I was a teen learning to drive. Honking made it worse, as I recall; I think my record was killing the engine 4 times in a row.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23881 on: October 16, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
We've had several provincial parks closed here because of budget cuts.  You are no longer allowed to drive in; there are no rangers; there are no programs being run; the washroom facilities are locked.  But you are still allowed to walk in and use the trails, beaches, whatever natural amentities are available, basically at your own risk.  And you no longer have to pay for it!

So a visitor to the area, I could understand.  But not a local.

Because of the federal government shutdown in the US, all national parks are closed.  This has been widely discussed in every form of news media - tv, radio, online, print - so it's odd that she hadn't at least heard of it.

Except that now the states are being allowed to eat the costs to reopen some of them.

I learned that this past weekend.  Our priest likes to walk along the canal path and that is open, but the bathrooms are locked because there's no one to service the restrooms.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Aunt4God

« Reply #23882 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #23883 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
I'd like to nominate the bicyclist my husband almost smooshed last night. 

We were at an unusual intersection last night; instead of 4 corners, there are 6 (three roads intersecting) due to having two perpendicular roads and a third road being set at a diagonal.

Our light turned green and DH proceeded to make a right turn.  A bicyclist who decided red lights simply didn't apply to him sailed through the intersection from the street that was on the diagonal.  He came from our right and we never even saw him until he was right in front of us.  Dh had to slam on his brakes and we could hear the guy giving his compliments.   ::)

I can understand blowing lights and intersections when there isn't traffic but traffic was especially jacked up last night due to an accident on one of the highways.  I guess he likes to live life on the wild side.

Shalamar

« Reply #23884 on: October 17, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.

I'm convinced that, along with "NOVICE DRIVER" signs, we need ones that say "NEW TO DRIVING STICK.  PLEASE CUT ME SOME SLACK."  That happened to me once when I was trying to exit a below-ground parking garage that had a steep incline.  I was fairly new to driving stick, and the car kept stalling.  It didn't help that the guy behind me was RIGHT behind me, and I was terrified that my car was going to slide backwards right into him.  He starting honking furiously at me.  I got out and explained the situation to him, saying "Do you think you could get my car out for me?  I'd really appreciate it!"  His attitude magically changed from "Stupid women drivers" to "I'll save you, little lady", and he got my car up the ramp with no problems.

(I resisted the temptation of getting into his car and honking at HIM while he did so.  :) )

Jocelyn

« Reply #23885 on: October 17, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.

I'm convinced that, along with "NOVICE DRIVER" signs, we need ones that say "NEW TO DRIVING STICK.  PLEASE CUT ME SOME SLACK." 
My first stick shift, I lived in a town that, as my father observed, was hillier than San Francisco. It just takes a while to learn how to use the clutch to start up again on a hill. I finally learned how to heel-and-toe.

One of the funniest stories I ever heard involved a very young driver in a stick shift, on a hill...with a cop car behind him. I can't do it justice telling it in text, but the boy involved eventually rolled his car back until it hit the cop car.  He looked in the rear view mirror to see 'what appeared to be a decapitated police officer, having some sort of seizure'. He finally hat to get out of his car and go back and ask the cop to quit laughing long enough to drive his car to the top of the hill. Whereupon the cop discovered that the boys hadn't registered the car yet...and had just 'borrowed' the license plate off their mother's car to go cruising.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23886 on: October 17, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
O/T but I have to ask. In the USA do you have to sit a separate test for automatics and manual cars?

In the Uk a passing a test in a "stick" means you can drive both, but if you pass in an automatic you have a different license and are not legally allowed to drive a stick.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #23887 on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »
O/T but I have to ask. In the USA do you have to sit a separate test for automatics and manual cars?

In the Uk a passing a test in a "stick" means you can drive both, but if you pass in an automatic you have a different license and are not legally allowed to drive a stick.

That's far too sensible for Texas. Of course, the bar is set pretty low here, where you can buy beer in gas stations.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23888 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »

Not as far as I am aware, although laws to vary by state. Many people these days never learn to drive a stick at all.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23889 on: October 17, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

Not in any state that I've heard of. Here it is hard to even find manual cars anymore.

We want to teach our kids and have polled every friend or relative we know and no one has a stick. So now we are wondering if it's even necessary unless they go on The Amazing Race.

***Can't even get a rental unless it's a high end sports car.

nuit93

« Reply #23890 on: October 17, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

The majority of cars sold in the U.S. are automatic, and most driving schools (aside from some private ones) only teach automatic.  You can take the test in an automatic and be legally allowed to drive a stick but many people have a hard time finding someone to teach them.

Jones

« Reply #23891 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
Difficulty in obtaining a manual may vary based on type of area. I live in an agricultural area, and have used many manual transmission vehicles in my life (cars, variety of trucks--some work-owned, and a Rav 4, whatever that classifies as). My 2007 Vibe, my current vehicle, is a manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. Gives me a lot more control.

Anyhow, yes I think in my town there are more automatics than manual, but there are a lot of manual transmissions too.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23892 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
No separate license here in Canada, either.  Very few people drive stick any more.  I had difficulty finding a stick when I was shopping a month and a half ago.  If I'd been buying a car, I might have had an easier time but I was buying a CUV.

I learned to drive on an old Ford F150 that was three on the tree.  (Which means it only had three gears plus reverse and the shifter was on the steering column.  They haven't made them since the 80's, I don't think.)

Shalamar, I'm not sure I could have resisted in your shoes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #23893 on: October 17, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
What's a CUV?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Browyn

« Reply #23894 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
What's a CUV?

CUV: crossover utility vehicle