Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4408344 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23925 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
Assuming that guess is correct: the only SS in this situation was the person who couldn't drive a manual car properly or safely, yet still thought she was entitled to go out on the road and put other road users at risk because of it.

It absolutely horrifies me that people are allowed out on the road while not in full control of their vehicles. If you don't know how to use the clutch you are not in full control.

I'm with you, perpetua. If you don't know how to drive a stick, you practice in a parking lot or something. It's one thing if your car has a sudden malfunction, but to intentionally go out in a car you're not able to drive properly? And then blame people around you for being upset you are blocking the rest of them because you can't drive your own car? Definitely SS.

HorseFreak

« Reply #23926 on: October 19, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
Yesterday DH drove me to "work" ( I volunteer at a charity shop ) at the local shopping centre.  Cue our encounter with a special snowflake who thought it was ok to be on his mobile phone while riding a bike.  He was weaving all over the road, including into the path of oncoming cars, turned into a car park without signalling in any way what so ever and then cut between parked cars to pull out in front of us forcing DH to apply the brakes.  Thankfully DH was watching him and was going very slowly otherwise he would have been hit.  DH muttered to himself about this person needing to get off his phone and pay attention to what he was doing and then stopped the car to let me out.  Cue this idiot being very aggressive, shouting and threatening to punch DH out and calling him a ginger offspring of unmarried parents or words to that effect.
I was really shaken up, but took DH's advice and just walked away as quickly as I could.  DH just drove away and left special snowflake shouting at himself.

A bicyclist once went completely psycho on my dad's car while we were driving up a mountain road that's part of a national park. We were driving on the correct side of the road doing the speed limit (25 mph) when Mr. Anger Issues came speeding down the WRONG side of the road directly at us going at least 50 mph. My dad stopped the car while the guy gestured and screamed at us to get out of the way. He nearly rode right into our stopped car despite having 15+ feet on the correct side to ride. He banged on the car and screamed obscenities about respecting bikes as he went by. I wish a ranger had been there because the speed limit applies to bikes as well.

mmswm

« Reply #23927 on: October 19, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
Many, many years ago my DH and I were at a party with my work colleagues.  One of them became extremely inebriated.  Since she lived relatively close to us, we volunteered to drive her home, but she insisted that she had to drive her car home.  We said one of us would drive her until we discovered it was a stickshift, which neither of us knew how to drive.  So we followed her home (should have insisted on taking her home and picking up the car later, but we were young and she was a supervisor...). 

She was doing pretty well driving herself until we reached the place where the two lane country highway became a four-lane divided highway.  You guessed it, she immediately drove onto the wrong side of the road.  It was extremely fortunate that it was about 2 am and traffic was very light.  We drove alongside her in the correct lane, honking and flashing our lights for all we were worth until, at the next opportunity, she moved over into the right lane.  It scared years off our lives, and we weren't that old to begin with!

We decided right then that we'd learn to drive a stickshift as soon as possible.  It was a year or so later, when we were in the market for a second car, that we decided to buy one with a manual transmission.  Learning to drive it was very interesting.  The salesman taught DH just enough to enable him to drive the car home.  He then left it with me, with a quick explanation of how to change gears, and told me to practice while he went to work for a little while.  I drove the car around the neighborhood for almost half an hour before I remembered that I needed to depress the clutch when I changed gears.   When I told DH what I'd done, I thought he was going to faint.

When that car was ready for the junkyard, we bought a car with an automatic transmission to replace it.  However, not long before our sons reached driving age, we bought another stickshift so that they could learn how to drive one.  They loved the car and one son still owns a stickshift himself.  It's been a number of years since I've driven one, but I think could pick it up again pretty easily.

This is exactly why my father insisted that we learn to drive a stick if we wanted to learn how to drive. He wanted to make sure we were *never* in any situation where we might make unsafe decisions because of a vehicle we couldn't drive.

Of course that didn't help the other night when I had to leave my own car in a parking lot because I was in no shape to drive.  My companion could drive a stick, but we had both cars, so we left my car and went back for it the next day.  That particular parking lot is pretty much the only one in the county I'd feel safe leaving my car, which is one of the reasons that place is my primary hang out.

Hillia

« Reply #23928 on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »
When my mom got her driver's license in the 40's, part of the test was to drive part way up a hill, stop completely, turn the ignition off, then start up again and continue up the hill. You were only allowed to roll back a few inches, if that, or you failed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23929 on: October 19, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
Can discussion about learning to drive stickshift get it's own thread please?  Thanks.

Jocelyn

« Reply #23930 on: October 19, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

Assuming that guess is correct: the only SS in this situation was the person who couldn't drive a manual car properly or safely, yet still thought she was entitled to go out on the road and put other road users at risk because of it.

It absolutely horrifies me that people are allowed out on the road while not in full control of their vehicles. If you don't know how to use the clutch you are not in full control.
Perpetua,
People don't go from not knowing how to drive a stick, to mastering all situations, in 1 lesson. Nor can you find every situation in an empty parking lot.
For that matter, people who drive automatics have a time between their first attempt and mastery. It's simply not possible to get all the experience you need off-road. You need to practice in traffic before you master the skills of driving in traffic.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #23931 on: October 19, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

Perpetua,
People don't go from not knowing how to drive a stick, to mastering all situations, in 1 lesson. Nor can you find every situation in an empty parking lot.
For that matter, people who drive automatics have a time between their first attempt and mastery. It's simply not possible to get all the experience you need off-road. You need to practice in traffic before you master the skills of driving in traffic.

Each car is also unique. I've only ever driven manuals because I'm from the uk.  Even I stall it now and then.  New clutch changes the bitting point, or a borrowed/new car were you don't know the bitting point/ bitting point has changed. Having a blond moment and not realizing you were in second not first gear.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

mmswm

« Reply #23932 on: October 19, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
Can discussion about learning to drive stickshift get it's own thread please?  Thanks.

Done. :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130584.0

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #23933 on: October 19, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
Thank you!  As someone who doesn't drive I was interested, but it really does need it's own thread.  Lots of good info.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23934 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
It's definitely a bonus having a manual transmission truck when SS people tell you they're *going* to borrow it to move or pick up large stuff.

Manual transmission or not, they'd find out very quickly what I thought of them telling me they were borrowing my truck.  No one "tells" me they're taking anything of mine.  When my dad had a mid sized pickup he told me that people were always asking to borrow it to move.  He loaned it to me because I was family (and he also knew I'd take good care of it and return it with a full tank even if it wasn't full when I borrowed it).

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23935 on: October 19, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
Some SS joggers this morning.  They were jogging along a sidewalk and turned into the parking lot of a strip mall that I was turning into.  Upon making the turn, all three of them slowed down to a walk and spread out to occupy the entire car lane, trapping me and about five other cars behind me.  I couldn't move forward until they had moved enough for it to be safe.  Being honked at multiple times because some idiots can't seem to figure out that "road" does not equal "place to hang out and start stretching" makes me very irritated!

Coruscation

« Reply #23936 on: October 19, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
Smokers on the train. My mother came to visit me recently and her train was late. As the train door opened, the guard stood at the doorway and yelled at everyone to get back, refusing to let them out. She was quite brusque and shut the door in their faces after my mum got out.

Mum told me the story afterwards. They were meant to have two smoke breaks on the trip but they were instructed to make them short. Most of the smokers didn't stop at one cigarette and delayed the train, which could not leave until they were back on board. (Long distance train, they all had luggage which would have to be found and removed if they did not return.) There was a long announcement that because of the delay, the second smoke break was cancelled so they could try to make up time. The ten people who were at the entrance were the smokers who got up anyway, fully intending to push their way off the train and get their smoke break anyway.

I do feel sorry for any smoker who obeyed instructions at the first stop since they were punished for the others actions but most of them were totally willing to put their own need for a cigarette over several hundred people being on time.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23937 on: October 19, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
There's something rather...distasteful about this girl. How she's rubbing it in how she's rich and doesn't want to apologies for it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/stop-hating-me-because-im-rich-new-york-college-student-rachael-sacks-write-essay/story-fnixwvgh-122674325062

And her use of the word "like" gets on my nerves.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23938 on: October 19, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »
There's something rather...distasteful about this girl. How she's rubbing it in how she's rich and doesn't want to apologies for it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/stop-hating-me-because-im-rich-new-york-college-student-rachael-sacks-write-essay/story-fnixwvgh-122674325062

And her use of the word "like" gets on my nerves.

I get "Page not found."

AngelicGamer

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.