Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5416694 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #23940 on: October 19, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
Better link: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/co-ed-don-hate-rich-article-1.1489621
What an interesting assumption! She assumes that people are looking at her and judging her for being 'a little princess spending Daddy's money', instead of assuming they are looking at her because she is enchanting to look at.

Hillia

« Reply #23941 on: October 19, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
And like, a total attention...hog.  Her last piece?  I'm a chronic solo Scrabble player. 

Guess what, sweetie?  No one cares.  Toddle along, now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23942 on: October 19, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
Better link: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/co-ed-don-hate-rich-article-1.1489621
What an interesting assumption! She assumes that people are looking at her and judging her for being 'a little princess spending Daddy's money', instead of assuming they are looking at her because she is enchanting to look at.

Or that they're thinking "Oh, that poor girl.  She can only afford junk food.  So sad."

Erich L-ster

« Reply #23943 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

marcel

« Reply #23944 on: October 19, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

Assuming that guess is correct: the only SS in this situation was the person who couldn't drive a manual car properly or safely, yet still thought she was entitled to go out on the road and put other road users at risk because of it.

It absolutely horrifies me that people are allowed out on the road while not in full control of their vehicles. If you don't know how to use the clutch you are not in full control.
I disagree with you on several points. First of all, having problems with your car, does not in any way mean that the person copuld not drive the car properly or safely. stuff happens.

Second of all OP was SS for honkin a lot. Honking, when not to prevent an immediat danger (and in case of imediate danger you usualy do not have the time and reactionspeed to honk) or a modest honk for a person stopped at a green light, is unnecesary and SS. I am personaly of the opinion that the horn is one of the most useless and most abused features on cars.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #23945 on: October 19, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
I am nominating the person ahead of me in the left-turn-arrow governed lane earlier today.  The light turned green.  They lurched forward a few feet - so they obviously saw it - and then stopped.  There was nothing in the road that would have caused them to pause.

I honked a lot and they finally moved.

I'm sorry, but I would call you the SS in that situation.  The way you described it, it sounds like they were in a stick.  If they were new to it, or if something was wrong, it's very easy to have it stall after lurching forward a little like that.  You "honking a lot" made it no easier on that driver trying to get going again.  I was always so nervous while learning to drive a stick that I would have a driver react that way to me.  A little patience and giving the other person the benefit of the doubt goes a lot longer than laying on your horn.

Assuming that guess is correct: the only SS in this situation was the person who couldn't drive a manual car properly or safely, yet still thought she was entitled to go out on the road and put other road users at risk because of it.

It absolutely horrifies me that people are allowed out on the road while not in full control of their vehicles. If you don't know how to use the clutch you are not in full control.
I disagree with you on several points. First of all, having problems with your car, does not in any way mean that the person copuld not drive the car properly or safely. stuff happens.

Second of all OP was SS for honkin a lot. Honking, when not to prevent an immediat danger (and in case of imediate danger you usualy do not have the time and reactionspeed to honk) or a modest honk for a person stopped at a green light, is unnecesary and SS. I am personaly of the opinion that the horn is one of the most useless and most abused features on cars.

Agree with marcel.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23946 on: October 19, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »

Or that they're thinking "Oh, that poor girl.  She can only afford junk food.  So sad."
But maybe she's, like, a mind reader?  Because I, poor worthless peasant  that I am, don't live in NYC and don't even recognize the name of the store.   I assume, from Miss Princess's tone, that it is a pricey handbag/shoe store.  I, you see, would be looking at her and wondering "Mulberry?  What's that?  Some sort of bargain basement?"   Because her clothes aren't any different from the kind of stuff you see in Sears or Target.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23947 on: October 19, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
I'd probably be thinking that wearing shorts with nylons underneath defeats the purpose.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Addy

« Reply #23948 on: October 19, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I'd probably be thinking that wearing shorts with nylons underneath defeats the purpose.

I'd be thinking that is one of the most ill-fitting and unflattering outfits I have ever seen.

What I would like to know is what kind of look these women were giving her that she was immediately able to divine their contempt of her. That must have been one heck of a glare.

Ereine

« Reply #23949 on: October 19, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »
Smokers on the train. My mother came to visit me recently and her train was late. As the train door opened, the guard stood at the doorway and yelled at everyone to get back, refusing to let them out. She was quite brusque and shut the door in their faces after my mum got out.

Mum told me the story afterwards. They were meant to have two smoke breaks on the trip but they were instructed to make them short. Most of the smokers didn't stop at one cigarette and delayed the train, which could not leave until they were back on board. (Long distance train, they all had luggage which would have to be found and removed if they did not return.) There was a long announcement that because of the delay, the second smoke break was cancelled so they could try to make up time. The ten people who were at the entrance were the smokers who got up anyway, fully intending to push their way off the train and get their smoke break anyway.

I do feel sorry for any smoker who obeyed instructions at the first stop since they were punished for the others actions but most of them were totally willing to put their own need for a cigarette over several hundred people being on time.

There was a woman here who got left behind in a similar situation, while her ten year old child was in the train when it left. She went to the media about how unfair it was, how her daughter was so traumatized (apparently she just called her father, who called the train company) and how was she to know that if a train is delayed it's going to leave as soon as possible and there won't be time for a smoke break. It was a very busy station and it was impossible to know which people on the platform belonged to which train and if they were going to come back so the train just leaves (it seems that our trains are harsher too, they don't care about people's luggage, it would just be taken to lost and found at the end, if it wasn't stolen, unless the owner contacted the train, I guess that they'd probably put it in a safe place then).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23950 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
She does sound like a piece of work, but I can understand the underlying sentiment.  I spent several years in elementary through middle school refusing to wear flattering-looking or even new clothes, because my school was very homogeneous middle class and I, as a doctor's daughter, got quite a few snotty comments about being the "rich girl" from my peers.  This is despite my parents taking a fantastic attitude about money (we never knew how much dad earned, we always had enough for what we needed and a smattering of what we wanted but we were by no means spoiled, and my parents were careful to make sure we learned early on to make purchasing decisions based on quality and usefulness and not advertising/peer pressure/brand names/etc.)  I learned to never talk about money, ever, and to lie about how much things cost sometimes because people would judge me for them if I didn't.  (My sister and I shared a new car in high school, for example - we did get a fantastic price because my grandfather was a VP at GM, so the cost of a new car wasn't that much more than a used car.  We paid for gas, but my parents paid for the car.  I told everyone I was putting part of my summer job money toward the car, because that's what all my friends did . . .)

So yeah, long story short, I'm not trying to apologize for her - but I don't think she should have to defend her financial circumstances, either.  I'll admit I'm not comfortable with the tone of some of the comments here, in the "poor little rich girl" vein - she chose an irritating way to express her opinion, and she may well be spoiled/bratty/etc., but bullying about one's financial situation can go both ways.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23951 on: October 20, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
 Wonder if she realizes her look is about 20 years old...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_10aFhip_TXQ/SmiFfbDpzkI/AAAAAAAAAk4/pwP2ehCnu2k/s1600-h/Babysitters+Club.jpg

When I see girls wearing pantyhose under shorts, I think of this.

Iris

« Reply #23952 on: October 20, 2013, 01:46:47 AM »
She does sound like a piece of work, but I can understand the underlying sentiment.  I spent several years in elementary through middle school refusing to wear flattering-looking or even new clothes, because my school was very homogeneous middle class and I, as a doctor's daughter, got quite a few snotty comments about being the "rich girl" from my peers.  This is despite my parents taking a fantastic attitude about money (we never knew how much dad earned, we always had enough for what we needed and a smattering of what we wanted but we were by no means spoiled, and my parents were careful to make sure we learned early on to make purchasing decisions based on quality and usefulness and not advertising/peer pressure/brand names/etc.)  I learned to never talk about money, ever, and to lie about how much things cost sometimes because people would judge me for them if I didn't.  (My sister and I shared a new car in high school, for example - we did get a fantastic price because my grandfather was a VP at GM, so the cost of a new car wasn't that much more than a used car.  We paid for gas, but my parents paid for the car.  I told everyone I was putting part of my summer job money toward the car, because that's what all my friends did . . .)

So yeah, long story short, I'm not trying to apologize for her - but I don't think she should have to defend her financial circumstances, either.  I'll admit I'm not comfortable with the tone of some of the comments here, in the "poor little rich girl" vein - she chose an irritating way to express her opinion, and she may well be spoiled/bratty/etc., but bullying about one's financial situation can go both ways.

And if people expect her to defend her financial circumstances, then they're rude and bullies. That didn't happen here, though. This post just riffed off a look two women supposedly gave her which could have been indigestion as far as she knows.

Also, the reality is that if someone posts a blog about the problems associated with being lucky enough to be born into a wealthy family then that would be an interesting look into someone else's life and I would read that with interest. The moment they start looking for sympathy, though, they will have to look really *really* hard because I've been poor and I've been comfortable (though never wealthy) and although yes, there are real problems that come with more money they are nothing, nothing compared to the problem of worrying about the basic necessities of life. We can expect our friends to listen to our problems without saying "Yeah, but some people don't have enough food, you whinger!" but surely she should know by now that the internet is not populated by her friends. Overall I suspect she's not a bad person, just young and perhaps a unaware of what life is like for most people.

As to her clothes, meh. I wouldn't dress that way and I wouldn't spend a lot of money on clothes that seem from the photo to be equivalent to the Target version, but I'm not her and it's her money and her body so whatever floats her boat.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23953 on: October 20, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »
Smokers on the train. My mother came to visit me recently and her train was late. As the train door opened, the guard stood at the doorway and yelled at everyone to get back, refusing to let them out. She was quite brusque and shut the door in their faces after my mum got out.

Mum told me the story afterwards. They were meant to have two smoke breaks on the trip but they were instructed to make them short. Most of the smokers didn't stop at one cigarette and delayed the train, which could not leave until they were back on board. (Long distance train, they all had luggage which would have to be found and removed if they did not return.) There was a long announcement that because of the delay, the second smoke break was cancelled so they could try to make up time. The ten people who were at the entrance were the smokers who got up anyway, fully intending to push their way off the train and get their smoke break anyway.

I do feel sorry for any smoker who obeyed instructions at the first stop since they were punished for the others actions but most of them were totally willing to put their own need for a cigarette over several hundred people being on time.

There was a woman here who got left behind in a similar situation, while her ten year old child was in the train when it left. She went to the media about how unfair it was, how her daughter was so traumatized (apparently she just called her father, who called the train company) and how was she to know that if a train is delayed it's going to leave as soon as possible and there won't be time for a smoke break. It was a very busy station and it was impossible to know which people on the platform belonged to which train and if they were going to come back so the train just leaves (it seems that our trains are harsher too, they don't care about people's luggage, it would just be taken to lost and found at the end, if it wasn't stolen, unless the owner contacted the train, I guess that they'd probably put it in a safe place then).

She is the one that left the kid on the train. Someone obviously taught the child to handle a mix up like that. Good job to them.

I think you area is easier not harsher about the luggage. The luggage has to be taken off if owner isn't on board sounds like anti-terrorism rules not being nice and giving the passenger his/her luggage rules.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Ereine

« Reply #23954 on: October 20, 2013, 03:59:01 AM »
Terrorism isn't really an everyday concern here. Also the way the trains are set up it can be impossible to know if the luggage has been abandoned or if the owner has spent the whole trip in the restaurant car (which isn't smart as there can be thieves but it happens) and the employees can't really keep track of every suitcase at every station.