Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5102447 times)

Iris

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24105 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:13 AM »
Yarnspinner, tell her it's her lucky day - the realtor put up pictures online!  http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Can't...breathe...laughing...too...hard...

I will never look at garden chairs the same way.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #24106 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »
At ours, there are shortcuts, but you have to find a store map or ask a sales person to notice them.
At ours the shortcuts are on storemaps, but the actual shortcuts are hidden - made to look like dead ends by shelving racks etc. You won't see them until you are right on top of them.  I gave up and used argos for the cheap furniture bits - it's the same kind of price (and quality) and has a magazine not a warehouse.

I would like to add special snowflake publictransportus. I was walking past the local station yesterday, which was closed due to the weather. There was a gentleman in a suit arguing with the station manager that he had to get to work and that they had to provide a train and he did not understand why there were all these cancellations. This despite the rather large tree that was clearly visible a way down the track, lying on the rail line. The rail replacement bus stop was less than twenty feet away, but apparently that was not good enough.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #24107 on: October 29, 2013, 04:33:36 AM »
My SS today was a fellow driver who flicked his cigarette out of his car window.  I glared at him (because BOY, do I hate it when people think that the world is their personal garbage can), and he glared right back.  If I could have hopped out, retrieved his cigarette, and flicked it back in his window, I would have.

We have Uber Special Smoking Snowflakes here in Australia... who are flicking cigarettes out of their car windows, in bushfire season, in and around the areas where just the other week we had terrifying out-of-control fires. One of the talk radio stations is running a campaign to have people take down their rego numbers and call them in to both the station and the police, and although I cordially despise that station (I'm forced to listen to it at work, since it's the only one our workroom supervisor will put on) I'm cheering them on for that!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24108 on: October 29, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
I hope the mods will allow a very brief off-topic detour. On the matter of IKEA, I would like to know why you can't turn around and go back the way you came. It sounds like you can't but I cannot figure out why. What's stopping you? (I've never been in one.)

I'm not sure what you mean ... the IKEAs I've been in have a big maze-like showroom where you walk by lots of  "rooms" of furniture, which then leads you to the warehouse/shopping area.  I don't know why you couldn't turn around and leave if you chose to.  There's usually a shortcut if you don't want to walk through the showroom.

Amara, you can walk the other way but there's no point to it. Think of the store as being laid out horseshoe shaped on two floors, with no short link on the top floor between the horseshoe ends. I came in on the ground floor of the left hand end. I had to go up to the top floor for kitchenware - that's where the 'rooms' are - and walk all the way to the other end of the horseshoe which is where kitchenware is. At that other end, there are stairs down, but there's no till, and there's no entrance or exit to the outside. I went down and then walked all the horseshoe back again through the flatpack warehouse to the tills, which are under the way-in stairs and go out through a different door. You can't get to the tills from the way-in stairs, there's a barrier. You can go just through the ground floor warehouse/tills bit without going upstairs, if you know what you want, although you still have to walk one horseshoe because it's closed off so that on the ground floor you can't get into the left hand end of the horseshoe, you go along a corridor to the other end, but the kitchen stuff is only available upstairs.

It's quite deliberate so that you go past everything, but I agree with whoever said to pick the visit time carefully. I went during the football world cup, and there was only me and one other couple there, I think. That was lovely. Their stuff is generally excellent and the prices are good, but they keep costs down by having very little by way of service.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24109 on: October 29, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
Yarnspinner, tell her it's her lucky day - the realtor put up pictures online!  http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

::Pulls away from the site's gravitational pull::

Wh--what year is it?!

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #24110 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
Sadly, it used to be a quite common attitude that anyone with a physical difference was somehow subhuman and disgusting to be around, and 'normal' people should be protected from having to see a wheelchair, or crutches, or someone with spastic movements.  Karen Killilea was born premature in 1940 and developed cerebral palsy.  Her parents had to take her to 23 doctors before finding one who did not advise sending her to an institution, even though her condition was manageable and her intellectual and emotional development perfectly normal.  She tells of going on an outing with her parents and seeing a group of children from an institution, all using various assistive devices and with various issues.  People around them had no problem talking loudly about how disgusting it was that 'those people' were out in public where they could be seen, and how rude their caregivers were to impose them on everyone else.

Some people have never gotten past this viewpoint.
There was also a mention about people who said that "only wicked, evil people would have a child like that", I guess as a punishment from Deity.  ???

Huh. How things change.

I remember a lady at church who had a daughter(Annie, we were nearly the same age and had Sunday School together.) with... Something. (Never asked what exactly. Her daughter looked a bit "off" and was mute except for some whimpering or hissing noises, but seemed to love "visiting" with people talking to her.)

Only thing I ever heard anyone say about the lady was that "The Lord knows which women should have a daughter like Annie... She's a blessing." Annie used to sway along with the hymns and the minister made sure to put one of her favorites in every service.

Her mom called her a blessing too. I just any imagine someone being nasty about a person like Annie, or Annie's mother.

My uncle was born in the late 1940's with Down Syndrome. My understanding is that most DS kids at that time were institutionalized and never seen again. Grandma wouldn't hear of it and home-schooled Uncle. He could read and write, and he was very witty and kind.

When he was a kid in the 50's, the other mothers would make their kids get out of the public pool when he got in. Like their kids would catch it or something.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24111 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »

Wh--what year is it?!

::On page ten::

Where's the Older Posts button?  There has to be an Older Posts button!  It can't be over!

shadowfox79

« Reply #24112 on: October 29, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
My uncle was born in the late 1940's with Down Syndrome. My understanding is that most DS kids at that time were institutionalized and never seen again. Grandma wouldn't hear of it and home-schooled Uncle. He could read and write, and he was very witty and kind.

When he was a kid in the 50's, the other mothers would make their kids get out of the public pool when he got in. Like their kids would catch it or something.

Pauline Parker, of the Parker-Hulme murder case, had a younger sister who was institutionalised for having Down Syndrome.

At least one journalist speculated that this proved Parker came from "bad stock". What a lovely thing to imply about a mother who's just been murdered.

cwm

« Reply #24113 on: October 29, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »

Wh--what year is it?!

Where's the Older Posts button?  There has to be an Older Posts button!  It can't be over!

:( I can't access it at work. It says it's a malware site.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that's the same reason that comes up for FB too, which is blocked.

fountainof

« Reply #24114 on: October 29, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »
On the IKEA stuff, I go at odd times like when it opens or weekday evenings and walk the "wrong" way all the time, sure you need to go off in the side isles a bit but if say I just want a rug I go in the warehouse way as rugs are near the end of the maze.  But I love the place, at ours you skip the show rooms and enter the stock area on the bottom floor where you can follow all the arrows or shortcut through all going the right way or enter the warehouse if you just want warehouse goods.  I look up what I want at home and go to the store with the isle and bin number already.  I can be in and out in 1/2 hour.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #24115 on: October 29, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
I can't, but that's because I have to go into the kitchen area and play with the soft-close drawers.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24116 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
If I want big stuff, I'll check it on the website, and just go to the warehouse bit - but what I really love is the kitchen stuff, and that isn't in the warehouse. The only place you can get it is in the display bit.

Can we nominate the whole IKEA set-up as being SS?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24117 on: October 29, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

Wh--what year is it?!

Then again, I'm pretty sure that's the same reason that comes up for FB too, which is blocked.

Was coming back to comment on Slartibartfast's original post.  A friend sent me a link to the site originally and I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Yes, the photos are crazy, but the blogging raises them to an art form of hilarity!  It really does hurt to laugh after a bit.

Iris

« Reply #24118 on: October 29, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

Wh--what year is it?!

Was coming back to comment on Slartibartfast's original post.  A friend sent me a link to the site originally and I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Yes, the photos are crazy, but the blogging raises them to an art form of hilarity!  It really does hurt to laugh after a bit.

At one point DD and I were laughing so hard and making such weird noises that the dog got worried and had to check on us :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Carotte

« Reply #24119 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
If I want big stuff, I'll check it on the website, and just go to the warehouse bit - but what I really love is the kitchen stuff, and that isn't in the warehouse. The only place you can get it is in the display bit.

Can we nominate the whole IKEA set-up as being SS?

It's not SS, it's marketing. Ikea is the only store to do a 200% on purchase budget. Meaning that if you planned on buying for 20$ of stuff you'll most likely end up with 40$ worth of stuff.
They're smart and apply every trick in the book, since that even works for those who where not planning on buying anything and find out that hey, a new mug, or a vase, or a mini cactus and oh yeah, pot holders.  ::)
Ours have everything in the warehouse portion, and like many you either turn left entering on the ground floor (past the kiddy ball park) and get in by the cash registers/flatpack storage, or up the stairs and straight left, down the stairs in the kitchen/wharehouse bit.

(And I believe that ikea shopping and furniture building is like a rite of passage or a test for young couples, I mean, I was this close to try and lock my SO in one of their kitchen cabinet, but I didn't, and we're still going strong!)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:03:28 PM by Carotte »