Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5538757 times)

alkira6

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24120 on: October 29, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
We had an inservice today.
How to use certain apps in educational settings. How to take care of your Ipad, how to install find your Ipad. Discussion on how cracked screens will be handled. Basically unless there are extraordinary circumstances we are responsible for 1/2 the fee - but the ones owned by the school  came with big grip cases. (Nearly as protective as otter cases). If the cracked screen is from another program (there are 3 staff developments each summer that regularly issue multiple Ipads and other equipment) the school is still willing to pay 1/2 the fees

Then they issued 2 more Ipads to every classroom teacher, 1 to every specials teacher (PE, Art, Music ).

What was the main topic of conversation - how unfair the cracked screen policy was and how the school should pay for big grips for all issued ipads. (I have 7 Ipads from 2 other programs. I paid for the cases.)

Or they could stop complaining and find a grant/tech supplement/program that pays for stuff.  If nothing else, I know of 2 teachers who bought otter boxes with Donors Choose funds.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #24121 on: October 30, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »
Special Snowflake of the "I'm going to interrupt your day and I'm going to get offended that you don't like it!" type

I frequently drop by a nearby shopping mall for groceries. After shopping, I like to take the longer way out to walk around the mall and get some exercise. Unfortunately down the other end of the mall is a cosmetics stand with the most obnoxious staff.

Encounter 1:
Young man (in horribly over-excited tones): "Oh My GOD! I just LOVE your style!"
Me: "No thank you."

(Uh yeah, cos Mumsy-MiddleAged-Corporate is so cutting edge. That total overblown fakey-nice nice tone pretty much soured me on the guy immediately).

Encounter 2:
Same young man: "Good morning, Madam!"
YM: "Can I just ask, what do you use on your face here?" [gesturing on his own face to refer to a patch of really blotchy skin on my own face]
Me: [shook my head silently and kept walking]

(That's a great marketing technique, ignore my boundaries and then remind me of the horrible state of my skin, thanks a lot).

Encounter 3:
Young woman: "How are you today Madam?"
Young woman (loudly, to young man): " "HOW... ARE... YOU". It's a question, how can you answer with "No thank you". "HOW.. ARE.. YOU.." It's not difficult!"

(That's right, precious, mock your potential customers refusal to bow to your desire to interrupt their busy day by loudly whining about them within their earshot).

I know she was talking to him because I could see her out the corner of my eye and so could see who she was directing the comment to.

The most annoying thing is that they keep moving the stand around, so it's not like I can predict where they're going to be on any given day I happen to drop by.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:56:38 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Pen^2

« Reply #24122 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:12 AM »
Yarnspinner, tell her it's her lucky day - the realtor put up pictures online!  http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Can't...breathe...laughing...too...hard...

I will never look at garden chairs the same way.

::Pulls away from the site's gravitational pull::

Wh--what year is it?!

::On page ten::

Where's the Older Posts button?  There has to be an Older Posts button!  It can't be over!

:( I can't access it at work. It says it's a malware site.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that's the same reason that comes up for FB too, which is blocked.

Was coming back to comment on Slartibartfast's original post.  A friend sent me a link to the site originally and I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Yes, the photos are crazy, but the blogging raises them to an art form of hilarity!  It really does hurt to laugh after a bit.

At one point DD and I were laughing so hard and making such weird noises that the dog got worried and had to check on us :)

LOLOLOL oh man, that site is amazing, I'm near tears!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS GENIUS!!

(Also, why do so many houses seem to have toilets in the middle of their living rooms!???)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24123 on: October 30, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »
Well, when house hunting, we did happen to come across one house with a shower and toilet in a den, and the real estate agent explained that the seller's wife had been very depressed and didn't want to leave that room so they put in some plumbing so she could at least maintain some personal hygiene.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24124 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
Special Snowflake of the "I'm going to interrupt your day and I'm going to get offended that you don't like it!" type

I frequently drop by a nearby shopping mall for groceries. After shopping, I like to take the longer way out to walk around the mall and get some exercise. Unfortunately down the other end of the mall is a cosmetics stand with the most obnoxious staff.

Encounter 1:
Young man (in horribly over-excited tones): "Oh My GOD! I just LOVE your style!"

(Uh yeah, cos Mumsy-MiddleAged-Corporate is so cutting edge. That total overblown fakey-nice nice tone pretty much soured me on the guy immediately).

Encounter 2:
Same young man: "Good morning, Madam!"
YM: "Can I just ask, what do you use on your face here?" [gesturing on his own face to refer to a patch of really blotchy skin on my own face]
Me: [shook my head silently and kept walking]

(That's a great marketing technique, ignore my boundaries and then remind me of the horrible state of my skin, thanks a lot).

Encounter 3:
Young woman (loudly, to young man): " "HOW... ARE... YOU". It's a question, how can you answer with "No thank you". "HOW.. ARE.. YOU.." It's not difficult!"

(That's right, precious, mock your potential customers refusal to bow to your desire to interrupt their busy day by loudly whining about them within their earshot).

I know she was talking to him because I could see her out the corner of my eye and so could see who she was directing the comment to.

The most annoying thing is that they keep moving the stand around, so it's not like I can predict where they're going to be on any given day I happen to drop by.

Learn to stare them down and dare them to approach you. In our mall there was a kiosk with the pushiest sales people. For a year I tried the polite no thank you, avoiding eye contact, and even pretending I didn't realize they were speaking to me. Now when I round the corner, I make a point of catching their eye and glaring. I found they usually turn away pretty quickly. I know it's not nice but if I were interested in your product I would approach you. I don't need to be yelled to across a mall.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #24125 on: October 30, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »
Well, when house hunting, we did happen to come across one house with a shower and toilet in a den, and the real estate agent explained that the seller's wife had been very depressed and didn't want to leave that room so they put in some plumbing so she could at least maintain some personal hygiene.

Like....just out in the open? Would it have been easy to build walls around it to make a real bathroom?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24126 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
kherbert05 wrote:

"What was the main topic of conversation - how unfair the cracked screen policy was and how the school should pay for big grips for all issued ipads. (I have 7 Ipads from 2 other programs. I paid for the cases.)"

I'm having trouble understanding who's responsible for what.  Are you saying that the teachers will be responsible for half the repair cost if an iPad in their class gets cracked, or is it the school that's half responsible, or both?  If teachers are being held responsible for repairing stuff that costs hundreds of dollars, I can see why they'd balk at that.  I certainly wouldn't want iPads in my classroom if I was going to be held financially responsible for damage the students did to them.  Would it be reasonable to force teachers to pay for textbooks that the kids ripped, or make the teacher pay halfsies if a student decided to destroy a smartboard?  And also, why should teachers be paying for protective cases for school iPads?  If the school can't afford to protect them properly, they shouldn't be distributing them anyway because that's just asking for more repair costs.

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24127 on: October 30, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

Like....just out in the open? Would it have been easy to build walls around it to make a real bathroom?

Well I guess, but they were pretty much in the open.  It's been years since then but I think there were at least doors separating this room from the rest of the house, but other than a shower curtain, there really wasn't much to divide the utilities from the rest of the room.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

wheeitsme

« Reply #24128 on: October 30, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »

Encounter 3:

"No..Thank..You.." "It's a statement, and a polite response to an unsolicited annoyance."  (Possibly adding)  "However, since it means so much to you, next time I will make abundantly and stridently clear when you ask "How are you" just how annoyed I am by your solicitations"  >:D

cwm

« Reply #24129 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

Encounter 3:

"No..Thank..You.." "It's a statement, and a polite response to an unsolicited annoyance."  (Possibly adding)  "However, since it means so much to you, next time I will make abundantly and stridently clear when you ask "How are you" just how annoyed I am by your solicitations"  >:D

I think now whenever some random pushy-salesperson in the mall comes up to me and asks how I am, my new go-to mental response will be, "Annoyed by random solicitations, thanks for asking." I may or may not actually say it, but it'll run through my head.

Marzipan

« Reply #24130 on: October 30, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
[(And I believe that ikea shopping and furniture building is like a rite of passage or a test for young couples, I mean, I was this close to try and lock my SO in one of their kitchen cabinet, but I didn't, and we're still going strong!)
[/quote]

My DH first said he loved me in an Ikea.
One of the best times to go is Halloween!!  Very few people are there.
Most big box, family type stores are also deserted!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #24131 on: October 30, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »

Encounter 3:

I like to derail them -
Sales Person: Hi! How are you? (or similar)
Me: (distractedly) Uh, fine...say have you seen a guy go by carrying an anaconda? He's about yeah tall (holds hand up around 6'5"), shaved head?
Sales Person: No.  (Starts looking around.)
Me: (continuing distractedly) OK, I guess he'll catch up in a bit... (wandering away)

I've yet to have anyone remember to do their sales spiel on me.

For the extra pushy, I also find that responding politely, but smiling toothily whilst looking at their jugular is also quite effective.

I look like an ordinary person, so it really unsettles them.

sevenday

« Reply #24132 on: October 30, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
I have had a few SS salespeople.  One guy came up behind me in a mall as I was walking, head down a bit looking at my cell phone trying to figure out where X store was to buy a specific present for someone. I'm a surgical-strike kind of person.  I know what I want, how much it'll be, in and out and gone to the next place.  I also don't go to malls until I have at least a few places to stop so - I have a plan.  This guy comes up behind me, grabs my elbow- nearly made me drop my phone - and when I whipped around, he says, "Since you refuse to say hello, the least you can do is come over and look at my lotions! You could really use some!"  I came very, very close to hitting him, and I could certainly make an argument for legally being able to do so.  Instead, I looked him in the eye and said, "Let go!"  (He didn't, and I followed up with this, in the middle of which he did let go): "I am going to file a complaint against you for grabbing my arm like that.  You never, ever touch a person without their explicit permission.  I didn't hear you trying to flag me down.  I'm deaf.  I HOPE you get fired."   For the record, I know I was abrupt and rude in saying what I said, but I was a bit frightened and angry. I did follow that up with a prompt visit to the mall security office, where I filed a complaint against that guy.   The security officer told me that the mall has at least one complaint a week about someone (not just that stall) grabbing or otherwise stopping guests. 

Another time a woman came up to me with a perfume bottle and proceeded to spray me in the face with it, twittering on about how it was a lovely seasonal scent and I'd be the hit of the party, blah blah.  I honestly don't know what else she was saying, because I was too busy pawing at my face.  I'm allergic to something that's in a lot of perfumes, and I was having a reaction.  I didn't speak to her then, but after washing my face in a bathroom, I did file a complaint against her with mall security, then to the company itself.  Never really heard back from the company other than a form letter. 

When I do visit malls, I just keep my gaze forward (or to the sides, looking at shops) - Since I'm deaf, I really don't always know if people try to flag me down.  Once in a while I'll have someone move toward me a bit, but I just sidestep them and keep going.  I don't feel like it's rude to ignore them.  If anything, a simple head shake should be enough to get them to DROP IT and move on to someone else.  I get that sometimes customers can be convinced to buy, but I would think a salesperson would be more willing to expend time and energy on a more likely customer - i.e. someone that walks up to the stall on their own to browse.

Shalamar

« Reply #24133 on: October 30, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
WOW, Sevenday.  That's unbelievable.  I don't think you were rude at all, by the way.  I'd be frightened and angry if someone grabbed my arm that way.

While we're (sort of) on the subject of people not understanding personal space, I'd like to nominate the person standing behind me at an intersection today.  I was waiting for the light to change so I could cross.  I suddenly became aware of someone RIGHT behind me (if I'd stepped backwards even a little bit, I would've stepped on his foot).  Thinking it was someone I knew (I know several people who'd think it was funny to get right up in my grill that way), I whipped my head around - only to be staring right into the eyes of a complete stranger (who, it must be said, looked just as startled as I felt).

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24134 on: October 30, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
I've seen the other side of that- where I used to work we had a lovely deaf lady on staff. Customers who come up and compain about her sometimes- "I tried to get that lady to help me and she ignored me!"

"Did she look like (described co-worker)."

"Yes!"

"Oh, she's deaf, if she can't see you, she won't notice you trying to flag her down."

The looks people would get when they realized were priceless.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas