Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5536105 times)

MrTango

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24150 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
This guy comes up behind me, grabs my elbow- nearly made me drop my phone - and when I whipped around, he says, "Since you refuse to say hello, the least you can do is come over and look at my lotions! You could really use some!"  I came very, very close to hitting him, and I could certainly make an argument for legally being able to do so. 

I'd have hit him and then called the cops on him.  I have no tolerance for people intentionally touching me without my consent.  Grabbing someone from behind is a great way to get hurt (or killed, depending on the circumstances).

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24151 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
A very stupid snowflake took a flying run from the local hs into bumper to bumper traffic on the main road. He's very lucky nobody's car killed him :o It's especially messed up because recently *death warning* a student a few miles away had been hit by two different cars, in an area where students often unsafely ran into the streets

I just ran into a news article the other day about a kid who ran into the street and got hit by a car (hit and run) on his 7th birthday (he survived and was fine, barely injured).  The news article was focused on the horrible driver, the "bad man," etc.  I saw the security footage they're posting.  The kid came *running* full out into the road from behind a parked car!  I have no idea if the driver was going over the speed limit, and obviously he should have stopped (although, given that the boy's injuries mostly amounted to his foot being run over, it's *possible* that the driver didn't even see the boy/realize he was hit), but really, I think the boy and his family are kind of special snowflakes for putting all the blame on the driver, when, unless the driver was really speeding, the boy seems mostly at fault.  And, seriously?  I have a 6-year-old.  What was the boy *thinking* to run out into traffic like that?  Hadn't his parents taught him about that?  I can't imagine my 6-year-old *ever* just deciding it was a really fun thing to bolt out into traffic.  Nor the 5-year-old, either!

MindsEye

« Reply #24152 on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
@ Mommy Penguin

In the city where I attended university, if you (general you) run out into traffic or are otherwise improperly crossing the road (against the light, not at a crosswalk, etc) and get hit by a car... you would be the one to get a ticket, even if you were injured.  The driver of the car, as long as they weren't doing anything illegal like speeding, would have no consequences. 

gingerzing

« Reply #24153 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »
A very stupid snowflake took a flying run from the local hs into bumper to bumper traffic on the main road. He's very lucky nobody's car killed him :o It's especially messed up because recently *death warning* a student a few miles away had been hit by two different cars, in an area where students often unsafely ran into the streets

I just ran into a news article the other day about a kid who ran into the street and got hit by a car (hit and run) on his 7th birthday (he survived and was fine, barely injured).  The news article was focused on the horrible driver, the "bad man," etc.  I saw the security footage they're posting.  The kid came *running* full out into the road from behind a parked car!  I have no idea if the driver was going over the speed limit, and obviously he should have stopped (although, given that the boy's injuries mostly amounted to his foot being run over, it's *possible* that the driver didn't even see the boy/realize he was hit), but really, I think the boy and his family are kind of special snowflakes for putting all the blame on the driver, when, unless the driver was really speeding, the boy seems mostly at fault.  And, seriously?  I have a 6-year-old.  What was the boy *thinking* to run out into traffic like that?  Hadn't his parents taught him about that?  I can't imagine my 6-year-old *ever* just deciding it was a really fun thing to bolt out into traffic.  Nor the 5-year-old, either!

Mother  Penguin - perhaps the kid's parents are like the lady who just moved into my mother's cul de sac.  Mom was driving down her street (barely a block so probably 20 mph) and one of the new kids comes zipping out.  Mom commented to the new lady and the lady told my mom that "well, my kids have the right away"  When my mother mentioned that this is the road, the lady still said that her kids have the right away and cars shoudl watch for THEM.    For some reason, she is teaching these children that they have the "pedestrian right away" in all situtations.  Yeah, my mother was not impressed. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24154 on: October 31, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
@ Mommy Penguin

In the city where I attended university, if you (general you) run out into traffic or are otherwise improperly crossing the road (against the light, not at a crosswalk, etc) and get hit by a car... you would be the one to get a ticket, even if you were injured.  The driver of the car, as long as they weren't doing anything illegal like speeding, would have no consequences.

Except for the horrible nightmares from severely injuring or killing someone.  I always feel sorry for truckers who end up killing someone because that someone does something stupid like backing up in the live lanes of the freeway.  Even though they managed to only kill the person winning the Darwin Award, it must be horrible for those poor guys (and gals) to live with.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BarensMom

« Reply #24155 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
In Santa Rosa recently, a 13-year old boy had a toy AK-47 (with orange tip removed) and pointed it at a police officer.  The police officer shot him dead.  Now, a great many people are protesting and "demanding justice" for this kid. 

The kicker was that a passing driver saw the kid with the gun, rolled down the window, and told him to put it away because there was a police car coming.

mmswm

« Reply #24156 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
@ Mommy Penguin

Except for the horrible nightmares from severely injuring or killing someone. I always feel sorry for truckers who end up killing someone because that someone does something stupid like backing up in the live lanes of the freeway.  Even though they managed to only kill the person winning the Darwin Award, it must be horrible for those poor guys (and gals) to live with.

I have a good friend who's a trucker who just went through this, though in this case the other driver was trying to get hit by a truck.  He doesn't actually know if the other driver eventually survived (he was alive but with severe head and chest trauma when he was transported from the scene).  That was two weeks ago.  My friend is driving again, but he's still an emotional wreck.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24157 on: October 31, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
A singer out on tour in a bus (living quarters while being driven from place to place) was in one of these accidents and the man was killed by the bus.

The singer has apologized to the family - but the news article did mention that it was dark and the man was wearing dark clothing when HE walked in front of the bus.  I haven't seen a follow up as to whether the guy was drunk or what else might have contributed to the accident.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24158 on: October 31, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
People in dark clothing have NO idea how invisible they are to someone in a car. Esp. in NYC, where few people drive, we think of the streets as being "well lit" (and they are--but...you're wearing black), pedestrians impinge on the roadway all the time, and everybody wears black.

I didn't realize it until *I* was driving in NYC.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24159 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
^^If it is the incident I heard about, the victim was arrested previously for walking down the middle of the road.  Impeding traffic, I think the charge was.  I feel badly for the singer and the driver of the bus.  Not exactly the kind of publicity you want.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MindsEye

« Reply #24160 on: October 31, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
In Santa Rosa recently, a 13-year old boy had a toy AK-47 (with orange tip removed) and pointed it at a police officer.  The police officer shot him dead.  Now, a great many people are protesting and "demanding justice" for this kid. 

The kicker was that a passing driver saw the kid with the gun, rolled down the window, and told him to put it away because there was a police car coming.

I saw that article... the second kicker is that the kid also ignored the officers yelling at him to drop the gun.

I feel sorry for the officers.  The kid, not so much.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24161 on: October 31, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
We have kids who live nearby and are really, really stupid about riding their bikes into the street.  See, ours is a through street with a great deal of curb parking and traffic due to the fact that there's a popular ice cream shop across the street and a lot of trucks go up and down this street as well.  And not everyone does the speed limit. 

I live right next to an alley and the kids would set up a ramp for their stunt bikes and without even looking for oncoming traffic (hard to do anyway with cars and houses) they'd ride their bikes off the ramp and into the street or they'd just go forth without looking for traffic at all.

Another neighbor gave them a lecture about it but it didn't stop them.  I'm not hoping they'll get hurt, but I'm sure one day it will happen and I would not be surprised if the kids whine "But we're just kids!! Bikes have the right of way!"

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

z_squared82

« Reply #24162 on: October 31, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
We have kids who live nearby and are really, really stupid about riding their bikes into the street.  See, ours is a through street with a great deal of curb parking and traffic due to the fact that there's a popular ice cream shop across the street and a lot of trucks go up and down this street as well.  And not everyone does the speed limit. 

I live right next to an alley and the kids would set up a ramp for their stunt bikes and without even looking for oncoming traffic (hard to do anyway with cars and houses) they'd ride their bikes off the ramp and into the street or they'd just go forth without looking for traffic at all.

Another neighbor gave them a lecture about it but it didn't stop them.  I'm not hoping they'll get hurt, but I'm sure one day it will happen and I would not be surprised if the kids whine "But we're just kids!! Bikes have the right of way!"

As I always say, the pedestrian/biker might have the right of way, but if a pedestrian/biker and a car get in a fight, the car wins. Period.

Speaking of special snowflakes in an alley, I remembered a double encounter from a while back. I was at a party, standing outside on the back porch. The back porch overlooked a cobblestone alley, abutted by yards and detached garages. There was room for exactly one car, but I have no idea if it was a one-way alley. Some geniuses decided to set up a game of corn hole in the alley (corn hole being a game where you toss bean bags at angled wooden boards). So, special for setting up their game in the alley when they could have set it up in the grass of the backyard. They were soon chased out of the alley by Special Snowflake 2, in a car, who couldn’t be bothered to wait for them to move, and so just drove over the boards. No one was hurt. I feel confident alcohol was involved all around. (It was a big drinking weekend in my city.)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #24163 on: October 31, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

I'm not going to call kids--or even adults--special snowflakes for having the audacity to act as though the speed limit applies to trucks near a popular ice cream shop. "Reckless," perhaps, but the special snowflakes are the truck drivers who assume that speed limits are for other people, or other kinds of vehicle. Also, if one truck speeds down a city street, I blame the trucker. If lots of trucks do, it's time for the city to either start enforcing the speed limit, or redesign the street in ways that reduce traffic speeds.

OK, if the speed limit sign on the interstate says "60" you can usually get away with going 65 or 70. That doesn't make it okay to go 40 on a street that is posted as 25 or 30, in a neighborhood with sidewalks and children. It seems that a lot of people assume that the "real" speed limit is always ten mph more than is posted, even on residential streets, or curved exit ramps.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24164 on: October 31, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »
People in dark clothing have NO idea how invisible they are to someone in a car. Esp. in NYC, where few people drive, we think of the streets as being "well lit" (and they are--but...you're wearing black), pedestrians impinge on the roadway all the time, and everybody wears black.

I didn't realize it until *I* was driving in NYC.

We have this issue here our (small) town. Heading out of town, toward the country (and my house), with little lighting, there is also a curve and lots of people like to walk in that area for some reason, in dark clothing, at night, half in the road. This road is a State Route, so it's fairly well travelled, as well. The worst I would say are those on bicycles that don't have reflectors.