Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5732259 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24195 on: November 01, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
I've noticed a reduction in those groups and increase in remote airplanes flying down the mall corridors.

Ugh, the remote helicopters and airplanes! There is a mall near me where they take outward delight in launching those things right in front of your face. Since I never see anyone react with anything but annoyance and anger, and I have never seen any of these things sell, I can only assume they are getting paid to be part of a mall obstacle course.

I've often thought that, if one of those got too close to hitting me, I would grab it like Godzilla, walk off and deposit the airplane somewhere the vendor couldn't find it. Or on the desk of mall management.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24196 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
2 SS ToT'ers last night. Actually their parents.

SS #1: ToTing doesn't really get going around here until about 6, but around 5:30ish you'll get a few little bitty ones coming around. So we usually start setting up around then. We sit out front with all the candy and are in our costumes. We but up some scary stuff/playing scary sounds CD/ect, so we're still setting all that when the bitty ones come by. So it surprises me when there is a pounding (and I mean pounding) on my door at 5. I come downstairs, look through my peep hole and hey there's a kid and a parent. I figure they're just starting earlier, she looks about 5 or 6. So I open the door (I had a small bowl of candy by the door so I grab that) and mom snaps at me "Come on, come on, I don't got all day!", oh no that's not going to happen. I talk to the kid, "What a pretty costume who are you?", no response and mom says "Uh, excuse you, I'm teaching my kid not to talk to strangers, just give her the candy and lets go!", I grab one piece of hard candy and toss it in the kid's bag and mom says "That's it?! You better give her more!", and I say "Halloween is a participation holiday. You're not having your child say Trick or Treat, thank you, or engage with me at all. You banged on my door while I was still getting ready. So this all the participation I'm choosing to give based on your participation. Have a nice evening" and closed the door. Her parting shot was "I bet your neighbors will be more generous!", not likely, they set up from 6pm-8pm, and those are the only candy hours they have. I did feel bad for the kid, and her costume was cute.

SS#2: Now we've wrapped up passing out candy, it's 8:30 and all the kids have gone home for the most part. So we head inside. This time we get banging and doorbell ringing...repeaditly. I figure it's teenagers, grab the left over candy and toys and open the door. It's mom with 6 little kids. They say the line, I start handing out the candy and toys we got (yeah we went overboard this year), and the mom starts in on me "I can't believe everyone is done already! We had other things to do tonight!" I tell her people in the community are usually out from about 6-8, later when it falls on a weekend. Mom snaps "Well, that's just to (censored) bad! This is for them! You all better stay out until you're sure every kid has come!" then one of the kid's is say "Look! Look! I got a bouncy ball!" mom snaps "What?! Hello, lady, it's candy night. Give them freakin candy or we're leaving!!", apparently she didn't realize they were getting candy as well. The kids were nice, said thank you she was still going off about how I should hand out better candy and she'd hand out full sized candy when I said "have a nice night" and closed the door.

Everyone else was great last night! Lots of cute costumes, very polite kids, and nice adults too. Adults in costume got candy from us too. Cause I love when adults dress up to take the kids out.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24197 on: November 01, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »

Are you sure those were regular moms and not mafia wives ?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24198 on: November 01, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Wonder if "her kid" gets upset at seeing pictures of women in their underwear at clothing stores. After all, those are family stores too...

I may have posted about this a while back, but...this reminds me of the town I grew up in. The downtown used to be, when I was growing up, very picturesque, with mom and pop stores, and so on. Now, due to rising rents, etc, its basically an outdoor mall. With stores you'll find in any shopping mall.

A few years back, there was quite an uproar from some parents with small children. Not sure if one started it, and it snowballed or it was a group effort, but they were complaining about a certain women's store that sells underthings and other items of that nature. with the initials VS. And how terrible it was, and obscene, and so on, to have mannequins, dressed in their merchandise, which was QUITE skimpy. It just wasn't right for their widdle pweshuses to have to see that while they were out and about with mom and dad!  Really?

First of all, store management doens't decide what to put where, that comes from corporate, and secondly, if you take your kids to the mall, you're going to see the same thing. Third, they aren't nekkid.  It was interesting to read letters in the local paper, on both sides of the argument. Some were incensed that this was there for their kids to be exposed to, and others told them to get over themselves! I think it finally died a slow death.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24199 on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
TeamBhakta wrote:

"I've often thought that, if one of those got too close to hitting me, I would grab it like Godzilla, walk off and deposit the airplane somewhere the vendor couldn't find it. Or on the desk of mall management."

You can't do that.  It would be very wrong.

It was King Kong that grabbed planes.   ;D

Virg

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24200 on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
Wonder if "her kid" gets upset at seeing pictures of women in their underwear at clothing stores. After all, those are family stores too...

I may have posted about this a while back, but...this reminds me of the town I grew up in. The downtown used to be, when I was growing up, very picturesque, with mom and pop stores, and so on. Now, due to rising rents, etc, its basically an outdoor mall. With stores you'll find in any shopping mall.

A few years back, there was quite an uproar from some parents with small children. Not sure if one started it, and it snowballed or it was a group effort, but they were complaining about a certain women's store that sells underthings and other items of that nature. with the initials VS. And how terrible it was, and obscene, and so on, to have mannequins, dressed in their merchandise, which was QUITE skimpy. It just wasn't right for their widdle pweshuses to have to see that while they were out and about with mom and dad!  Really?

First of all, store management doens't decide what to put where, that comes from corporate, and secondly, if you take your kids to the mall, you're going to see the same thing. Third, they aren't nekkid.  It was interesting to read letters in the local paper, on both sides of the argument. Some were incensed that this was there for their kids to be exposed to, and others told them to get over themselves! I think it finally died a slow death.

But not the underwear!!! Children must not every see....UNDERWEAR!!!! Do you know what happens if a small child sees a lacy bra? Do you!? Cause, I don't so I'm just wondering if anyone actually said what would happen.

Cherry91

« Reply #24201 on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
There's a furious letter writing campaign going on in my area at the moment opposing a certain brand of supermarket that wants to set up a "local" shop (a smaller version of it's supermarket shop, think like a combo of a newsagent and off license). It's mainly being run by a group of residents who are living accross the road from the proposed site, who would apparently rather it stayed empty than gain a mini-market than most people in the area really quite want, as that area doesn't really have anything nearby that fills that purpose. The would-be investors have tried to handle any possible complaints by making sure the shop front is tasteful, unobtrusive, etc, nope, they just don't want it.

The campaign is called "Say No to Sainsburys!". Most of the residents who want the supermarket refer to it as "Say No to Snobbery".

Carotte

« Reply #24202 on: November 01, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
There's a furious letter writing campaign going on in my area at the moment opposing a certain brand of supermarket that wants to set up a "local" shop (a smaller version of it's supermarket shop, think like a combo of a newsagent and off license). It's mainly being run by a group of residents who are living accross the road from the proposed site, who would apparently rather it stayed empty than gain a mini-market than most people in the area really quite want, as that area doesn't really have anything nearby that fills that purpose. The would-be investors have tried to handle any possible complaints by making sure the shop front is tasteful, unobtrusive, etc, nope, they just don't want it.

The campaign is called "Say No to Sainsburys!". Most of the residents who want the supermarket refer to it as "Say No to Snobbery".

Hehe, letter writting campaign, that gave out your general location quite easilly :).
I've seen small Sainsbury that are quite well integrated, they look like any other shop in the street.
Those people are just complaining to complain I guess. Maybe they should try to get them going on all the chrismasy stuff that pop up before november.

They already have chocolate advent calendars here, I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster for kids. You either buy them now when they ask, and tell them they can't have it for another month (=unhappy kid), or don't buy it and have a possible unhappy kid.

HelenB

« Reply #24203 on: November 01, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

SS #1: ToTing doesn't really get going around here until about 6, but around 5:30ish you'll get a few little bitty ones coming around. So we usually start setting up around then. We sit out front with all the candy and are in our costumes. We but up some scary stuff/playing scary sounds CD/ect, so we're still setting all that when the bitty ones come by. So it surprises me when there is a pounding (and I mean pounding) on my door at 5. I come downstairs, look through my peep hole and hey there's a kid and a parent. I figure they're just starting earlier, she looks about 5 or 6. So I open the door (I had a small bowl of candy by the door so I grab that) and mom snaps at me "Come on, come on, I don't got all day!", oh no that's not going to happen. I talk to the kid, "What a pretty costume who are you?", no response and mom says "Uh, excuse you, I'm teaching my kid not to talk to strangers, just give her the candy and lets go!", I grab one piece of hard candy and toss it in the kid's bag and mom says "That's it?! You better give her more!", and I say "Halloween is a participation holiday. You're not having your child say Trick or Treat, thank you, or engage with me at all. You banged on my door while I was still getting ready. So this all the participation I'm choosing to give based on your participation. Have a nice evening" and closed the door. Her parting shot was "I bet your neighbors will be more generous!", not likely, they set up from 6pm-8pm, and those are the only candy hours they have. I did feel bad for the kid, and her costume was cute.

SS#2: Now we've wrapped up passing out candy, it's 8:30 and all the kids have gone home for the most part. So we head inside. This time we get banging and doorbell ringing...repeaditly. I figure it's teenagers, grab the left over candy and toys and open the door. It's mom with 6 little kids. They say the line, I start handing out the candy and toys we got (yeah we went overboard this year), and the mom starts in on me "I can't believe everyone is done already! We had other things to do tonight!" I tell her people in the community are usually out from about 6-8, later when it falls on a weekend. Mom snaps "Well, that's just to (censored) bad! This is for them! You all better stay out until you're sure every kid has come!" then one of the kid's is say "Look! Look! I got a bouncy ball!" mom snaps "What?! Hello, lady, it's candy night. Give them freakin candy or we're leaving!!", apparently she didn't realize they were getting candy as well. The kids were nice, said thank you she was still going off about how I should hand out better candy and she'd hand out full sized candy when I said "have a nice night" and closed the door.

Everyone else was great last night! Lots of cute costumes, very polite kids, and nice adults too. Adults in costume got candy from us too. Cause I love when adults dress up to take the kids out.

But...she's teaching her child to take candy from strangers?   :o

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24204 on: November 01, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »

Fourth, if they WERE nekkid, it's not like the mannequins are anatomically correct, complete with all girly bits, right?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24205 on: November 01, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »

But...she's teaching her child to take candy from strangers?   :o

I had that thought as well. Though I guess as long as mom is with you demanding the stranger hand over the candy, it's ok. Just don't speak to the stranger.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24206 on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
TeamBhakta wrote:

"I've often thought that, if one of those got too close to hitting me, I would grab it like Godzilla, walk off and deposit the airplane somewhere the vendor couldn't find it. Or on the desk of mall management."

You can't do that.  It would be very wrong.

It was King Kong that grabbed planes.   ;D

Virg

Yes, Godzilla smashed them or destroyed them with his awesome atomic breath!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24207 on: November 01, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »

I am pretty sure that spaying anything in someone's face without permission is illegal ...

And disgusting!  :-\

raininshadows

« Reply #24208 on: November 01, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
Special Snowflake from a while ago: the story of the Crazy Ambulance Driver, as he has since become known in our family.

There's an expressway (think mini-freeway) that goes past a hospital; we use it fairly often (the expressway, not the hospital). It has a concrete barrier between northbound and southbound traffic. As we're driving, on the right side of the road and at a reasonable speed, we hear sirens. I look around to see where they are and if we need to pull over. It's on our side of the road, and so we get ready to move over... and then, at an intersection, the driver crosses to the other side of the road and keeps driving, against the flow of traffic. This was at about 12:30 on a Monday, so not exactly commute time, and there wasn't much traffic on either side. He passes us, with a concrete barrier between where we are and where he is, and we keep going. He turns into the hospital parking lot (I'm still not sure how he managed the turn) in front of us, and we never saw him again.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24209 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
The ambulance reminded me of the crazy bus driver.

We were driving along in our city, in our little hatchback, and we went through a yellow light (because suddenly slamming on the brakes is a traffic hazard, especially when you're out of the intersection before it goes red... and three other cars *behind* you also go through...)  There was a bus on the opposite corner, still red for him when we went through.

All of a sudden we see the bus barreling up behind us.  The avenue we were on was two lane, and were in the right lane.  The bus pulls up beside us, and the driver opens the door to yell at us!  He's entirely focused on us, not even watching the road, screaminng at us how "lucky" we were that he didn't drive right through us!  I can only assume that he wanted to turn right on red, and thought that hiss wishes alo gave him the right of way over cars that were still going through.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at his bus ID number, or we would have called to complain, not only about his behavior, but his actually leaving the route to chase us down.  As it is, we pulled into the nearest parkinng lot, because we honestly expected him to run us off the road.