Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5080918 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24210 on: November 01, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »

I am pretty sure that spaying anything in someone's face without permission is illegal ...

And disgusting!  :-\

raininshadows

« Reply #24211 on: November 01, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
Special Snowflake from a while ago: the story of the Crazy Ambulance Driver, as he has since become known in our family.

There's an expressway (think mini-freeway) that goes past a hospital; we use it fairly often (the expressway, not the hospital). It has a concrete barrier between northbound and southbound traffic. As we're driving, on the right side of the road and at a reasonable speed, we hear sirens. I look around to see where they are and if we need to pull over. It's on our side of the road, and so we get ready to move over... and then, at an intersection, the driver crosses to the other side of the road and keeps driving, against the flow of traffic. This was at about 12:30 on a Monday, so not exactly commute time, and there wasn't much traffic on either side. He passes us, with a concrete barrier between where we are and where he is, and we keep going. He turns into the hospital parking lot (I'm still not sure how he managed the turn) in front of us, and we never saw him again.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24212 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
The ambulance reminded me of the crazy bus driver.

We were driving along in our city, in our little hatchback, and we went through a yellow light (because suddenly slamming on the brakes is a traffic hazard, especially when you're out of the intersection before it goes red... and three other cars *behind* you also go through...)  There was a bus on the opposite corner, still red for him when we went through.

All of a sudden we see the bus barreling up behind us.  The avenue we were on was two lane, and were in the right lane.  The bus pulls up beside us, and the driver opens the door to yell at us!  He's entirely focused on us, not even watching the road, screaminng at us how "lucky" we were that he didn't drive right through us!  I can only assume that he wanted to turn right on red, and thought that hiss wishes alo gave him the right of way over cars that were still going through.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at his bus ID number, or we would have called to complain, not only about his behavior, but his actually leaving the route to chase us down.  As it is, we pulled into the nearest parkinng lot, because we honestly expected him to run us off the road.

weeblewobble

« Reply #24213 on: November 01, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »
I have had a few SS salespeople.  One guy came up behind me in a mall as I was walking, head down a bit looking at my cell phone trying to figure out where X store was to buy a specific present for someone. I'm a surgical-strike kind of person.  I know what I want, how much it'll be, in and out and gone to the next place.  I also don't go to malls until I have at least a few places to stop so - I have a plan.  This guy comes up behind me, grabs my elbow- nearly made me drop my phone - and when I whipped around, he says, "Since you refuse to say hello, the least you can do is come over and look at my lotions! You could really use some!"  I came very, very close to hitting him, and I could certainly make an argument for legally being able to do so.

Wow, he just used all of the manipulative, misogynist pick-up artist tactics on you. 

"Since you refuse to say hello," - accusing you of being rude, hoping to put you in a position of proving you are not rude.

"the least you can do is come over and look at my lotions!" - using a phrase like "the least you can do" puts you on the defensive and is meant to put you in the "seeking approval" position.

"You could really use some!" - "negging" or saying something negative about your appearance/personality in order to, again, put you on the defensive and seek his approval by complying.

GOOD FOR YOU for not falling for it.

EMuir

« Reply #24214 on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

I am pretty sure that spaying anything in someone's face without permission is illegal

I'm pretty sure that if you're spaying anything in the face, you're doing it wrong.

:o  :P

LazyDaisy

« Reply #24215 on: November 01, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Special Snowflake from a while ago: the story of the Crazy Ambulance Driver, as he has since become known in our family.

There's an expressway (think mini-freeway) that goes past a hospital; we use it fairly often (the expressway, not the hospital). It has a concrete barrier between northbound and southbound traffic. As we're driving, on the right side of the road and at a reasonable speed, we hear sirens. I look around to see where they are and if we need to pull over. It's on our side of the road, and so we get ready to move over... and then, at an intersection, the driver crosses to the other side of the road and keeps driving, against the flow of traffic. This was at about 12:30 on a Monday, so not exactly commute time, and there wasn't much traffic on either side. He passes us, with a concrete barrier between where we are and where he is, and we keep going. He turns into the hospital parking lot (I'm still not sure how he managed the turn) in front of us, and we never saw him again.
I wouldn't call that SS actually. Around here ambulances will cross over to the wrong side at intersections (or before) if they see the way is not already clear for them. They don't wait for it to become clear and risk delay. Other drivers sometimes do crazy things like stop in the middle of the road instead of pulling out of the way or continuing on until they can pull over. I once saw an ambulance with lights and sirens get stopped behind a car in the right turn lane -- everyone else at the intersection had stopped but the right turn car should have proceeded to let the ambulance through. It took several bursts of the horn to convince them to go already.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Rohanna

« Reply #24216 on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
My husband is a medic- they are allowed to drive pretty much at their discretion if they are on certain types of "codes".... that's a large part of the reason that drivers should respect the "pull over as soon as safely possible" rule that most places have- just because you *think* you aren't in the way doesn't mean that you actually aren't. The driver may have experienced difficulties at that intersection before, and the call he was on serious enough, that they made the split decision to cut over like that. There really are calls where seconds can mean life or death, and an experienced medic has more than enough practice in reading traffic to judge if he has room to gun it and go.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #24217 on: November 01, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

We were driving along in our city, in our little hatchback, and we went through a yellow light (because suddenly slamming on the brakes is a traffic hazard, especially when you're out of the intersection before it goes red... and three other cars *behind* you also go through...)  There was a bus on the opposite corner, still red for him when we went through.

All of a sudden we see the bus barreling up behind us.  The avenue we were on was two lane, and were in the right lane.  The bus pulls up beside us, and the driver opens the door to yell at us!  He's entirely focused on us, not even watching the road, screaminng at us how "lucky" we were that he didn't drive right through us!  I can only assume that he wanted to turn right on red, and thought that hiss wishes alo gave him the right of way over cars that were still going through.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at his bus ID number, or we would have called to complain, not only about his behavior, but his actually leaving the route to chase us down.  As it is, we pulled into the nearest parkinng lot, because we honestly expected him to run us off the road.

If this was recent, you might still be able to complain. When I went to leave a comment on a King County Metro bus driver a few weeks ago, the form had room not only for the bus ID number but for the route number, location and time, and anything I could give them to describe the driver ("short woman with brown hair" or "older white man" or whatever I happened to remember). Depending on the frequency of service, "route 23, Main Street and Third Street, westbound at 4 p.m. on October 30" might be enough for them to know who the driver was, even if the only thing you remembered about the driver's appearance was that he was male.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24218 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »

If this was recent, you might still be able to complain. When I went to leave a comment on a King County Metro bus driver a few weeks ago, the form had room not only for the bus ID number but for the route number, location and time, and anything I could give them to describe the driver ("short woman with brown hair" or "older white man" or whatever I happened to remember). Depending on the frequency of service, "route 23, Main Street and Third Street, westbound at 4 p.m. on October 30" might be enough for them to know who the driver was, even if the only thing you remembered about the driver's appearance was that he was male.

This was well over a decade, and three cars ago!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24219 on: November 01, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
I nominate the SS in the SUV who doesn't know how rude it is to beep your horn to get people to come out. Particularly early in the morning or late at night.

Nomination also goes to the people who have loud conversations underneath our window early on weekend mornings.

When we lived in West Texas my room was in the front of the house a new neighbor with young teens moved in. They had a carpool taking them to school. I never noticed the honking till one day when I had been up all night ill. It felt like I had just gotten to sleep when I got blasted out of bed by the horn. Then it went again. It went a couple more times before I got out of the front door. I stormed over told the woman to stop honking. Went up and I admit it I banged on the door hard. Kid came out.

I don't really remember what I said - but I'm pretty sure it was blunt about not waking the whole blasted neighborhood and ringing the bell instead because there are sick people around.

Either the girl or her ride complained to the parents - which resulted girl being frog marched to our house to apologize for not being ready and causing the "ride" to blow her horn. I wasn't home for that. It didn't happen again and MOm said the girl was always on the porch waiting for her ride. The girl was always nice.

Just to note - we car pooled. MOm basically gave the kid we were picking up a minute. If they weren't out the door I got out and knocked. One time someone's older brother honked at my house - he never did it again after dealing with Mom and Dad.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kaymyth

« Reply #24220 on: November 01, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
TeamBhakta wrote:

"I've often thought that, if one of those got too close to hitting me, I would grab it like Godzilla, walk off and deposit the airplane somewhere the vendor couldn't find it. Or on the desk of mall management."

You can't do that.  It would be very wrong.

It was King Kong that grabbed planes.   ;D

Virg

Yes, Godzilla smashed them or destroyed them with his awesome atomic breath!

"Godzilla took a bite out of Optimus Prime
Like Scruff McGruff took a bite outta crime." 

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM

Not really SFW and definitely violent...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:15:55 PM by Kaymyth »

StarFaerie

« Reply #24221 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »

I am pretty sure that spaying anything in someone's face without permission is illegal

I'm pretty sure that if you're spaying anything in the face, you're doing it wrong.

http://meninblack.wikia.com/wiki/Ballchinian

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #24222 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »

http://meninblack.wikia.com/wiki/Ballchinian

Snerk!!
But that's not spaying.... >:D

perpetua

« Reply #24223 on: November 02, 2013, 04:02:58 AM »
There's a furious letter writing campaign going on in my area at the moment opposing a certain brand of supermarket that wants to set up a "local" shop (a smaller version of it's supermarket shop, think like a combo of a newsagent and off license). It's mainly being run by a group of residents who are living accross the road from the proposed site, who would apparently rather it stayed empty than gain a mini-market than most people in the area really quite want, as that area doesn't really have anything nearby that fills that purpose. The would-be investors have tried to handle any possible complaints by making sure the shop front is tasteful, unobtrusive, etc, nope, they just don't want it.

The campaign is called "Say No to Sainsburys!". Most of the residents who want the supermarket refer to it as "Say No to Snobbery".

I don't know. These places are really handy for bread and milk and late night chocolate, but they can pose a danger to the smaller local traders who can't compete on price and people feel strongly about that so I'm not sure its entirely SS not to want one there. Case in point: Tesco recently opened up an Express (or Extra, I'm not sure of the difference) in my local high street and there was much the same feeling locally (although I don't think we had a letter writing campaign!) but in this case the damage seems to have been self-limiting, because hardly anybody ever uses the place. It's most odd; it's bang in the middle of a high street, two minutes away from the station and therefore on the main route home for a lot of people but the place is almost always empty. You might get a few picking up dinner in there at rush hour, but that's about it. I went in there at 10am on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and I was the only person in there. I'm not sure I can see it lasting if it's that underused.

I have mixed feelings about it - I'm quite glad it's there (see 'late night chocolate'!) but I'm also glad that people don't seem to be using it for every day stuff and so our very good quality independent traders like the fishmonger and the veg shop don't seem to be suffering too much and are therefore likely to stay open.

So in this case, I think the community has done the right and non-SS thing: voted with their feet and let the chips fall where they may.

Cherry91

« Reply #24224 on: November 02, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
There's a furious letter writing campaign going on in my area at the moment opposing a certain brand of supermarket that wants to set up a "local" shop (a smaller version of it's supermarket shop, think like a combo of a newsagent and off license). It's mainly being run by a group of residents who are living accross the road from the proposed site, who would apparently rather it stayed empty than gain a mini-market than most people in the area really quite want, as that area doesn't really have anything nearby that fills that purpose. The would-be investors have tried to handle any possible complaints by making sure the shop front is tasteful, unobtrusive, etc, nope, they just don't want it.

The campaign is called "Say No to Sainsburys!". Most of the residents who want the supermarket refer to it as "Say No to Snobbery".

I don't know. These places are really handy for bread and milk and late night chocolate, but they can pose a danger to the smaller local traders who can't compete on price and people feel strongly about that so I'm not sure its entirely SS not to want one there. Case in point: Tesco recently opened up an Express (or Extra, I'm not sure of the difference) in my local high street and there was much the same feeling locally (although I don't think we had a letter writing campaign!) but in this case the damage seems to have been self-limiting, because hardly anybody ever uses the place. It's most odd; it's bang in the middle of a high street, two minutes away from the station and therefore on the main route home for a lot of people but the place is almost always empty. You might get a few picking up dinner in there at rush hour, but that's about it. I went in there at 10am on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and I was the only person in there. I'm not sure I can see it lasting if it's that underused.

I have mixed feelings about it - I'm quite glad it's there (see 'late night chocolate'!) but I'm also glad that people don't seem to be using it for every day stuff and so our very good quality independent traders like the fishmonger and the veg shop don't seem to be suffering too much and are therefore likely to stay open.

So in this case, I think the community has done the right and non-SS thing: voted with their feet and let the chips fall where they may.

The area that the Sainsburies wants to set up in could actually quite do with it being set up though - there's no local businesses in the area for quite a way, so it would be used. It's right in the middle of several residential areas, which is why it's rather odd that no one has proposed setting up a mimi-market before