Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5233449 times)

mumma to KMC

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24240 on: November 04, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
In addition to those who don't wear clothing that allow drivers to see them, I'd also like to nominate drivers who do not turn their lights on when driving through a torrential South Georgia summer downpour. I've come upon a few drivers that I didn't know were there until I was right on top of them, because of their lack of lights.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #24241 on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
In addition to those who don't wear clothing that allow drivers to see them, I'd also like to nominate drivers who do not turn their lights on when driving through a torrential South Georgia summer downpour. I've come upon a few drivers that I didn't know were there until I was right on top of them, because of their lack of lights.

Those people bother me too. I have a really hard time seeing at night for various reasons (mostly just eye-strain), and I've had to deal with people driving without lights on when it's 10 p.m. and/or raining like Goliath's girlfriend just broke up with him. This isn't rocket surgery:

1. If your lights don't work, try to get them fixed ASAP.
2. If they do, you need to flick the lever. Truly, it's not that hard to do in any car I've ridden in, standard or automatic.

I told my mom a long time ago that the auto industry should make it standard that headlights come on when windshield wipers are used for longer than, say, 3-5 minutes.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24242 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

I told my mom a long time ago that the auto industry should make it standard that headlights come on when windshield wipers are used for longer than, say, 3-5 minutes.

Many of the newer cars do--my FIL had one that turned the lights when the wipers were on. And he had one that turned the lights on when sensors detected less ambient light.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #24243 on: November 04, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »

Many of the newer cars do--my FIL had one that turned the lights when the wipers were on. And he had one that turned the lights on when sensors detected less ambient light.

That's awesome! I wish my car had that capability. :)

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

lilfox

« Reply #24244 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »

Mine does - it works great, unless you live in a place that is very gloomy during 6+ months of the year and/or has very slanting sunlight during morning/evening times.  Then you are the snowflake whose headlights seem to be on, off, on, off every few minutes depending on how the light is hitting the sensors.   ::)   :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24245 on: November 04, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »
My headlights have an auto feature so they come on when they sense it is dark enough for them.  But they don't come on when the windshield wipers get turned on.  I'm going to mention that when I have my appointment on Thursday to put on my snow tires.  My Dad's Sebring had an auto feature that not only put the lights on when it was getting darker but would turn them on with the windshield wipers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24246 on: November 04, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
I think you can get after market lights that will do this

Xandraea

« Reply #24247 on: November 04, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Mine does - it works great, unless you live in a place that is very gloomy during 6+ months of the year and/or has very slanting sunlight during morning/evening times.  Then you are the snowflake whose headlights seem to be on, off, on, off every few minutes depending on how the light is hitting the sensors.   ::)   :)

I've been this person! I turned up the sensitivity on my automatic lights, so they come on when it's gloomy or raining.  Drive under a bridge for more than a second, lights on. My windshield wipers are also automatic and are so sensitive, it's awesome. They don't work together however, so if it's not dark enough, yet raining, the wipers come on and I have to turn on the lights. It's the law in my state that if your wipers are running, your lights must be on as well (this assumes grayer/darker surroundings come with rain).  Don't get me started on all the drivers who drive without lights when it's significantly past twilight. I passed two in one night, a small black sporty car and a 7-passenger dark van, both on the interstate, no streetlights, and they had no lights on at nearly midnight.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24248 on: November 04, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
They may have simply forgotten. Even without streetlights to psych them out (in NYC, your headlights don't really illuminate the road, so I've forgotten to turn them on), they maybe just thought the reason they couldn't see if that it was dark.

Not every case of bad driving is a case of Special Snowflake. Brain farts aren't enough to qualify for SS status.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24249 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I've been this person! I turned up the sensitivity on my automatic lights, so they come on when it's gloomy or raining.  Drive under a bridge for more than a second, lights on. My windshield wipers are also automatic and are so sensitive, it's awesome. They don't work together however, so if it's not dark enough, yet raining, the wipers come on and I have to turn on the lights. It's the law in my state that if your wipers are running, your lights must be on as well (this assumes grayer/darker surroundings come with rain).  Don't get me started on all the drivers who drive without lights when it's significantly past twilight. I passed two in one night, a small black sporty car and a 7-passenger dark van, both on the interstate, no streetlights, and they had no lights on at nearly midnight.

I used to live in a state where that was the law. It struck me as so sensible that I've kept with it long after moving away. :)

Auto lights can get you in trouble, though. My car had automatic headlights -- if the car was on, the lights were on automatically. Eventually I sold that car and bought a car without the feature. The first time I had to drive with the headlights, I was getting into my car at night, but in a very brightly lit parking lot, so it wasn't obvious that my lights weren't on. I'm lucky I didn't get hit turning out onto the street before I realized it!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24250 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »
Don't get me started on all the drivers who drive without lights when it's significantly past twilight. I passed two in one night, a small black sporty car and a 7-passenger dark van, both on the interstate, no streetlights, and they had no lights on at nearly midnight.
When we lived in a certain European country, it was common for people not to turn on their headlights.  They believed that it would run down the battery, and that it was discourteous to other drivers to blind them with oncoming lights.   A co-worker of DH was nearly killed when she and her DH pulled out in front of a car that they couldn't see, a dark-colored car running at night without lights, on a country road.  There was never a time that we drove at night without multiple cars blinking their high-beam lights at us; the Datsun's lights were considerably brighter than the local cars' lights, so they thought they were on high instead of normal.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24251 on: November 04, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
The anti-snowflake. When I lived in Sugar Creek there was a runner that ran just before dawn - with Houston heat that is understandable.

His shorts/warm up pants and shirt were lined with reflective tape, and so were his shoes. During certain times of the year it looked like a headless ghost was running down the street but you could always see him clearly.

On my way to school there was an older couple that walked on the wrong side of the street, in dark clothes, at dawn. I mentioned it to the school safety officer ( a police officer in the city). He said he would talk to the person that patrolled that area that shift. THe next time I saw the couple they were on the correct side of the street, in light clothes, wearing reflective vests, and carrying flashlights.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JoW

« Reply #24252 on: November 04, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
Auto lights can get you in trouble, though. My car had automatic headlights -- if the car was on, the lights were on automatically. .....
My car has that feature and its driving me batty.  The always-on lights are much dimmer than the normal head lights.  So if its dark outside I still need to turn on the headlights.  But when you are in the garage and start the car the light on the garage wall looks like the headlights are on.  I can't tell you how many times I've driven half way to work with just the dim daytime lights on.  And now that daylight saving time is over I'll be doing it in the evening, too. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #24253 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »
I drive with my headlights on, all the time. Someone told me that he had a lot of close calls, with people pulling out in front of him, until he started doing this. Apparently some car colors sort of blend in with the pavement, and people just don't recognize it as an oncoming car.

Years ago, I gave my dad a mesh vest that had reflective stripes on it. It was designed for runners, and was light and airy enough to be comfortable on a hot day, and loose enough that he could wear it over a jacket on colder days. It was intended for runners. I wish everyone who's going out exercising would get one.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24254 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
Years ago, I gave my dad a mesh vest that had reflective stripes on it. It was designed for runners, and was light and airy enough to be comfortable on a hot day, and loose enough that he could wear it over a jacket on colder days. It was intended for runners. I wish everyone who's going out exercising would get one.

I've got one of those. I got it for dog walking, but it's come in very handy after I took up running. I seem to run in the dark most of the time.