Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5395605 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24255 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »
I drive with my headlights on, all the time. Someone told me that he had a lot of close calls, with people pulling out in front of him, until he started doing this. Apparently some car colors sort of blend in with the pavement, and people just don't recognize it as an oncoming car.

I do this, too!  It makes it really easy to remember to turn the lights off, and to have the lights on when you need them, because they're just on all the time.  It's very rare that I *ever* drive without lights, day or night.

KB

« Reply #24256 on: November 05, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
I drive with my headlights on, all the time. Someone told me that he had a lot of close calls, with people pulling out in front of him, until he started doing this. Apparently some car colors sort of blend in with the pavement, and people just don't recognize it as an oncoming car.

I drive with my headlights on all the time. I started doing that after I had five cars try to merge into the lane where I was in the course of two weeks. Since having them on all the time, it hasn't happened once. (That said, my car turns the lights off when the ignition is off, so I don't have to worry about a flat battery from it.)

Iris

« Reply #24257 on: November 05, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »
We have a different kind of SS driver around here. The ones that drive with their fog lights on all the time. Basically if it is dark enough to turn on their normal beams, they turn on their fog lights. Which are blinding to all other drivers. So sure, perhaps you can see better (although I doubt it because of the way they are pitched) but it won't help to clearly see the car that is running off the road because the driver can't SEE!

It is actually illegal to have them on unless it is foggy, so I guess it goes a little further than just SS-ness, but gee I wish police would start enforcing that law.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #24258 on: November 05, 2013, 12:59:26 AM »

This is actually the law in Denmark for that very reason - and I love it! It only takes a visit out of the country to realize what a huge difference it makes.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #24259 on: November 05, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »
I nominate the woman in the parking lot in my grocery store tonight. The first row of spots was almost full, with just two spots left that happened to be next to each other, while the second row was completely empty. This woman was driving a truck, pulled into the middle of those two spots, got out and checked her parking, nodded her head as if to congratulate herself, and walked into the store.

Margo

« Reply #24260 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
I had one a few days ago - I was driving home, when an ambulance came up behind me - lights, sirens, the full works. Of course I pulled over to let it pass, as did the cars in front of and behind me, except one guy who decided to use the opportunity to overtake a bunch of people, by barrelling along behind the ambulance.  There's no way he couldn't see the row of cars all pulling back into the traffic.. I suppose we should be grateful he at least gave way to the ambulance itself.

I saw another at the weekend - 2 lane road narrowing to one lane, lots of warning, bug sign telling people to merge in turn (with diagrams showing what they meant) Everyone was taking turns except one guy who decided to pull out of him lane,  drive all the way to the front and push in, rather than take turns like everyone else. (Happily for everyone but him, the entire queue noticed, and tightened up a bit. He was let in by the person ahead of me, who had been 2 cars behind him when he pulled out to queue jump :-)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24261 on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
Margo wrote:

"I had one a few days ago - I was driving home, when an ambulance came up behind me - lights, sirens, the full works. Of course I pulled over to let it pass, as did the cars in front of and behind me, except one guy who decided to use the opportunity to overtake a bunch of people, by barrelling along behind the ambulance.  There's no way he couldn't see the row of cars all pulling back into the traffic.. I suppose we should be grateful he at least gave way to the ambulance itself."

It's certainly possible he's an SS, but I tend to give a pass to this sort of thing because it's also possible that he's close to the person in the ambulance and is actually following them to the hospital.  Still not safe, but a lot more understandable.

Virg

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24262 on: November 05, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Margo wrote:

"I had one a few days ago - I was driving home, when an ambulance came up behind me - lights, sirens, the full works. Of course I pulled over to let it pass, as did the cars in front of and behind me, except one guy who decided to use the opportunity to overtake a bunch of people, by barrelling along behind the ambulance.  There's no way he couldn't see the row of cars all pulling back into the traffic.. I suppose we should be grateful he at least gave way to the ambulance itself."

It's certainly possible he's an SS, but I tend to give a pass to this sort of thing because it's also possible that he's close to the person in the ambulance and is actually following them to the hospital.  Still not safe, but a lot more understandable.

Virg

And if someone you're with is being taken by ambulance, they will TELL you not to follow. My mom had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance a couple times, and I said to her, not really meaning to do so "i'll follow you" and was quickly corrected and told please don't as its dangerous. When what I really meant was I'll come up right now to be with you in the ER, not that I'd follow right behind them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24263 on: November 05, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
Margo wrote:

Virg

And if someone you're with is being taken by ambulance, they will TELL you not to follow. My mom had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance a couple times, and I said to her, not really meaning to do so "i'll follow you" and was quickly corrected and told please don't as its dangerous. When what I really meant was I'll come up right now to be with you in the ER, not that I'd follow right behind them.

When I was taken by ambulance (although not full lights/sirens), my husband actually got there first. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24264 on: November 05, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
All of this talk of headlights just reminds me of having to explain to my new to the state friend why exactly during a dust storm you pull to the side and turn off your lights. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's so hard to see that people mistake any lights (even hazards) as a moving vehicle and try to follow said vehicle, that is stopped but you can't tell, and boom, accident. If you pull to the side, and turn off your lights, when people also pull to the side they'll see a stopped car with their own lights before they turn them off. He refused to believe me. Made no sense to him. The PSAs they run over and over and over again during monsoon season also didn't faze him. So he got caught up in a dust storm (my first lesson was how to stop the signs and choose not to drive during one, also ignored), couldn't see, pulled to the side and put on his hazards. And got hit by another car.

I'm not sure if that'd count as SS...but he listens to me now.

Snooks

« Reply #24265 on: November 05, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
When I walked home from work I wore a high visibility vest because cyclists don't pay any attention round here and I was always convinced one was going to plough into me.

I heard a man from the AA years ago recommend if you turn on your windscreen wipers to turn on your lights too.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24266 on: November 05, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
Parking SS today.  I was *almost* centered in my space.  The gap between vehicles on my passenger's side was quite roomy enough for anyone else to get in & out.  There was no one on the driver's side.

When I came back out with my shopping - there was someone on the driver's side who was so close that our side mirrors must have just missed hitting each other.  There was plenty of space on the other side for the driver to get in & out - but they apparently didn't have a passenger...and I was able to get between the two vehicles only because I slid in sideways and probably have dust from their vehicle on the back of my pants...

Seriously - if they had been two fingers' width closer to my vehicle, I would have been climbing in the passenger side and trying to get into the driver's seat like a contortionist...as it was, I was holding my door so that my knuckles rubbed the paint on the side of their car instead of the edge of my car door...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #24267 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
I had one of those 'close parkers' a couple of years back.

I have a Landrover - it's a high vehicle, which is the only reason SS managed to park so close without hitting mirrors.  At the time I was on crutches, and I needed a bit of room to get in.  No way could I climb in from the passenger side and get over to the driver's side, due to a knee brace and pain.

Older lady parked next to me while I was putting groceries in the back.  She was so close, the step on my car was about an inch from her passenger door - so about 6-8" max between doors.  She got out.  I just stood there, on my crutches, and looked at her like she had a second head...  She eventually got the idea that she'd caused a problem, and offered to move the car a bit.  I thanked her very much.  (I was very polite, I thought!  Skarky Julian wanted to respone 'Ya think?!')

Iris, we also get the fog-lights-or-no-lights crowd down here.  It drives me batty.  The no-lights crowd come out during the fogs and rain over winter - and for some reason they're usually silver or white cars, so the hardest to see in a heavy fog.  The fog-lights crowd come out on clear nights, and dazzle everyone that's trying to watch out for kamikaze potential road kill. 

andi

« Reply #24268 on: November 05, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
With car lights, I was always told "you use lights to BE seen, not so you can see".  Makes sense in all types of weather and light conditions

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24269 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Oh here's another one from the parking lot at Walmart.  Now, I was parked in a spot about a third of the way from the store ... not super close, not very far.  When I finished shopping and got into the car to start it up, someone came from about four spots further up (away from store) and then *STOPPED* in the middle of the aisle so close that I could not back out.  Why?  Because the people that they were with had come out of the store, and so they popped the trunk and loaded up the vehicle in the middle of the aisle.  And they weren't hustling to get done, either.