Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5365466 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24300 on: November 07, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
Helping "less fortunate people in impoverished areas or villages" one tattoo at a time

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2361710

Other` posters are not kind.

How would that help anyone? I see this as someone with a lot of tattoos, I've got a half sleeve, Partner has a half sleeve and a full sleeve, we both love tattoos, I think they're beautiful (when done properly). But I've never thought "Oh, that poor person doesn't have enough food to eat, I think a bugs bunny tattoo would really help them". I have no idea how he's going to bring all the equipment with him. Including the needles he'd need. A lot of needles...

Well at least he isn't asking for anyone to give him money to buy a plane ticket for this little adventure.

I guess there is always a bright side to everything. Lol. You are a much more charitable person than I glitter. ;)

I ve come to the conclusion that the reason he's asking strangers instead of his family for advice on where to go is because they've already told him he's cracked.

I thought for sure when I clicked on the link it'd be a "I want to go to a impoverished country and tattoo people! To help! Please donate to my cause", I was actually a little relived.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #24301 on: November 07, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
For the rear-ending one,

not too long ago, I was at a very familiar intersection, but not in the usual left turn lane that I drive daily.

I was planning to go straight, but the sun was BLINDING and I could not see the light.  The car to my right began to move (red on right ok) and the car to my left also moved (left turn signal just went on), so I took my foot off the brake and went {crunch} into the grey vehicle in front of me. 

she had a tire as a bumper, (think like how Jeeps often have a tire in back) and there was NO visible damage to her, and only a bit to my hood.

It was my fault.  She called her parents and her mom came out.  Mom suggested that the police be called, since it was her DD's first accident. 

we both drove away, completely fine, but I did get a ticket. 

did not even reach my deductible to hammer out the hood.  No bumper damage, nothing for the radiator (the closest thing to the front.) 

But, found out they tried to claim all sorts of damages and physical injuries after.  So, I guess it was good I had a police report, because otherwise I could not have proved there was no damage.  yes, I took pics at the scene.

So I got a ticket, but not crazy expenses for medical and repair of two vehicles.  Yay for the police report!

The worst part was telling my DD, who just got her driver's license a few months ago.

My last accident was years before her birth. 

:( :-[ :-X

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #24302 on: November 07, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
I thought for sure when I clicked on the link it'd be a "I want to go to a impoverished country and tattoo people! To help! Please donate to my cause", I was actually a little relived.

Ditto. It's kind of sad, that's the first thing that came to mind. I think I'm losing my faith in humanity.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Shalamar

« Reply #24303 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »
then drove off chatting into a device which she was holding in her hand which is illegal in this city.

Midnight Kitty, I'm confused - I've never heard of a GPS you talk into, and where do you live that GPS's are illegal?

CuriousParty

« Reply #24304 on: November 07, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »
then drove off chatting into a device which she was holding in her hand which is illegal in this city.

Midnight Kitty, I'm confused - I've never heard of a GPS you talk into, and where do you live that GPS's are illegal?

I'm not Midnight Kitty, but I have seen GPS's that are voice-activated or can be voice-controlled, and in many states now it is illegal to use any hand-held device while driving. So the GPS per se isn't illegal (my parents have one installed in their dashboard and they ask for directions using voice prompts - which I don't think does any good for their driving, but isn't illegal) but the holding of it in the hand and talking to/looking at it may violate distracted driver laws.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24305 on: November 07, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »

I'm not familiar with all the different types of mobile electronic devices, but the law here is that you must use a "hands-free" device.  In fact, your hands must not be on the device when the engine is running.  Even if you pull over to the shoulder to punch one button, you have violated (the strict interpretation of) the law.

This woman had some device with a screen and a suction cup in one hand and what might have been tablet or smart phone in the other.  The 2 devices were connected to each by at least one cord and she was talking into the one that looked like a small tablet.  It looked like she was wrestling with the electric cord octopus while talking into something and driving.  There were empty stalls for on street parking into which she could have pulled.  Instead, she blocked the only access (both entrance and exit) to the beverage container redemption center (a very busy place) and drove off holding the device into which she was talking.  Even if the GPS was designed to be voice operated (hands-free), she violated the law by holding it while driving.

eta: Yes, CuriousParty, it's that way here.

My smart phone has a navigator ap.  It has a map on the display, but I have it give me voice directions.  I get it started before I turn the engine on, then put my phone on the console (out of my way and out of my sight) and drive off with my navigator talking in my ear.  Even though I am not using the headset "hands-free" option, I am operating my mobile device in hands-free mode and I am not holding it in my hands while driving, so I'm good.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:31:50 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24306 on: November 07, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »
But, found out they tried to claim all sorts of damages and physical injuries after.  So, I guess it was good I had a police report, because otherwise I could not have proved there was no damage.  yes, I took pics at the scene.

Oh yes, yes, yes!!! Police reports are so very nice to have.

My very first accident, I was pulling out of my parking space at my apartment complex, didn't see a little car zip up behind me and I hit it. Opps. No damage to my car, but damage to his. The guy said "We were honking at you but you just kept coming out", which, odd cause at the time I didn't have my radio on I would've heard the horn. No big deal we're both calling our insurance companies, everyone is fine. Well as I'm getting my info out of my car random neighbor comes up to me and quietly says "You need to phone the police. He saw you baking out but kept on coming and even drove closer to your car, I'll tell the police what I saw", so I called the police. Originally because it was on private property the guy I hit said "Don't call the police, they can't do anything". Well, they couldn't do much, they didn't ticket either of us, but they did give me a police report and I had the photos I took. My insurance company decided he was as much at fault as I was because had he just stopped (especially since even he said, I saw you coming out), the accident could've been avoided. Apparently he'd done this move before as well.

My second accident was the fault of the guy in front of me. He hit the guy in front of him, which caused me to him and the person behind me to hit me. When we all get out of our cars he starts saying "We need to move the cars, we need to move the cars", well no, because we were already pulled to the side of the road and the person behind me had those safety triangles which she set out so people knew to go around us. And then the first guy comes to tell us he'd already called the police, they were on their way, and make sure everyone was ok. For a guy who'd just gotten in an accident he was pretty calm and relaxed. The guy who caused it says to him "Hey, help me tell these women we gotta move these cars" and the guy says "We aren't impeding traffic, so moving the cars would be leaving the scene of an accident, so no, we aren't moving the cars", he started the lets move sales pitch with me again and said, very firmly, "No, if the cop wants us to move, we'll move. But until then, no", he called me a rude name in spanish and went to sit in his car. Cop shows up, I'm not at fault, woman behind me isn't at fault and the first car isn't at fault. We can all go, no tickets needed and luckily all cars drivable though banged up.

Guy who caused the mess tried to sue me! Damage to his vehicle (front and rear), claimed I was uninsured (nope), I'd messed up his back, and filed a false insurance claim. I handed my lawyer the police report and my photos and all of a sudden the lawsuit went away.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24307 on: November 07, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »

I'm not Midnight Kitty, but I have seen GPS's that are voice-activated or can be voice-controlled, and in many states now it is illegal to use any hand-held device while driving. So the GPS per se isn't illegal (my parents have one installed in their dashboard and they ask for directions using voice prompts - which I don't think does any good for their driving, but isn't illegal) but the holding of it in the hand and talking to/looking at it may violate distracted driver laws.

I took Midnight Kitty's comment to mean that she *thought* the woman was talking into her cell phone but couldn't prove it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24308 on: November 07, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
I apologize if I've posted this one before, but my friend was at the mall, parked her car, and then some woman either next to her or a couple cars down, tried to claim my friend had hit her car while she was parking!!! 

Um no, first of all, she would have KNOWN if she had hit something, and secondly, my friend had a "normal" size car, the woman claiming she had been hit had an SUV, and the paint she claimed was from my friend's car was bright orange, when her car is dark green. and the supposed "dent" on the other woman's car was more in line with HER backing out, and into something, such as a pole. And higher than the bumper of my friend's car.

So....I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, either they exchanged info, even though my friend knew she was not at fault, or the woman simply took my friend's license plate and called her insurance. But friend's insurance had to do an investigation, which showed there was NO way my friend could have hit her car. We speculated she did it herself, and maybe was afraid of what her husband or someone else might say? So she concocted thsi story about my friend to try and cover up.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24309 on: November 07, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
I took Midnight Kitty's comment to mean that she *thought* the woman was talking into her cell phone but couldn't prove it.
Sort of ... I don't know what she was talking into, but she was holding it and that is against the law. ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shalamar

« Reply #24310 on: November 07, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
NOW I get it.  Thanks, ladies!

And yes, that woman was a very SS.  Sheesh.

beach_bum

« Reply #24311 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
I have my very own special snowflake!   >:(

Some background:

I have my own business and I rent out shop space in the town I live in.  In my lease, it specifies that I have 2 designated parking places.  One is directly behind my shop and the other is across the parking lot.  The building houses 3 business and 4 apartments.  Next door is a very large bar that is in a building NOT owned by my landlords.  Parking behind the buildings is very limited but there is street parking.  At least twice a week I arrive to find someone in my parking spot directly behind my shop despite the signs stating "NO PARKING" the sign also states the state statute and that violators will be towed. When I find a vehicle in my spot, I print out a note letting them know that they are in my spot and I have noted their vehicle and license plate and I will have them towed at their expense next time.  I usually don't have repeat offenders.  ;) (/background)

Tuesday I arrived at the shop to find the entire parking lot filled with construction vehicles and other various trucks and lots of double parked cars (the landlord was having work done on one of his buildings and didn't bother to let any of us know.  GRRR!!).  A vehcile was on my spot, one that I had noted before as being in my space and had received a notice.  The construction guys apologized for the lack of parking and for being in the spots they weren't supposed to be in.  I accepted their apologies and went on my way.  After 5 hours, they were gone but the car remained so I deduced that the car wasn't with the construction group.  I phone my landlord and got his voicemail.  The message I left asked him what the towing companies name and number was because I had someone I assumed had abandoned their car in the lot.  I waited a few minutes and then just started phoning local tow companies myself.  Per the towing company, I had to have the local police come out and tag the car as abandoned and then then they could tow it.  So I waited.  In the meantime the landlord shows up to tell me that the car belonged to a friend of his daughters.  They had received my letter in the past and had complained to him about it!  But, you know, didn't bother to stop actually parking there!   So the landlord came and moved the car because the he (the illegally parked car guy) was doing favors for the landlord. The landlord even tried to make me feel guilty for reporting it to the police like I'm supposed just give up my parking spot for his daughter's friends.

SheltieMom

« Reply #24312 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
Yesterday was my second fender-bender in a week.  A guy backed into me in a parking lot on Halloween, and then yesterday afternoon a woman rear-ended me at a red light.  AFTER we were stopped.  Her excuse?  "The light turned green and I thought you were going."

Both accidents were enough to leave marks on my car but not enough to chase after drivers who might or might not have insurance  :-\  (I'm worried if I file a claim for a few hundred dollars, and they aren't insured, I'll end up having to pay for the work AND my rates will go up . . .)  Luckily my car isn't exactly new anymore, so I guess I should get used to it having a few scratches and cracks  >:(

On the plus side, the guy behind the lady yesterday was a police officer.  Who very nicely put his lights on to keep traffic out of our lane while I got the lady's information, and came and checked to make sure we were both okay.  He was still talking to her when I left, so I don't know if she got a ticket for distracted driving or what . . .

I'm not sure about where you live, but in my state you have to carry uninsured/underinsured motoer coverage. Which basically covers you if someone who doesn't have insurance, or doesn't have enough insurance, to fix what happened. Since you weren't at fault, your rates shouldn't go up. My friend just had to deal with that after being hit because the driver of the other car had hit a second car and didn't have enough insurance to repair both cars. It might be something worth looking it. Also in my state, if you rear-end someone, you're pretty much always at fault. There are few cases where it's determined it's not your fault, but usually you rear-end someone, you're getting the ticket. And still people tailgate....

Love the "I thought you were going!", your car wasn't moving but she thought what...you were moving and she just wasn't seeing it? At least she knew you'd have to be moving...some people seem to think one car can pass through another.
We have to have uninsured motorist coverage, too. Unfortunately, you still have to pay the deductible which may be as much as $500.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24313 on: November 07, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
Ambrosia Hino used to drive a car with a clutch (manual transmission).

Leaving the credit union in her current and our previous home some eleven or twelve years ago, she was car #2 at a stop light.  When the light went green but before car #1 started moving yet - she had her foot off the brake and on the clutch with her hand on the gear shift getting ready to go...when car #3 crunched into her rear bumper, causing some damage.

Girl driver tried to claim that since Ambrosia Hino's brake lights were off that she thought that she was MOVING - never mind that the car in front of her hadn't moved yet because the light had literally just changed...

Police were called and girl driver in vehicle #3 was not happy to get ticketed.  Because it wasn't her fault if the brake lights were off...and now she was going to have to tell her daddy about the ticket (high school age or just graduating, both of them, at the time).

I've also been told that the guy who came over the hill and around the curve didn't see any turn signal on the stopped vehicle in front of him so he thought it was moving...and hit the old Ford pickup (Ute to the Auussies) hard enough to buckle his hood & leave the engine trying to climb into his lap...I was stopped to make a turn across the oncoming lane, the elderly couple in the older solid metal vehicle were stopped behind me (ditches on both sides of the road a meter or so - just over a yard - deep - no shoulder to try going around stopped traffic).

He was towed and they drove away - bumper was solid metal and you could tell that something had hit it - but the dent was not enough to realize that the other car was about a third of a meter/a foot shorter than it had been before the impact.

He also complained about having just picked it up at the body shop the night before...I did wonder how often he had accident from driving too fast in residential zones or too fast for conditions...both of which terms the police officer seemed to have used LOUDLY.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #24314 on: November 07, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
Wow!  Really bad drivers.