Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296861 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24480 on: November 22, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
My cousin shared this on fbook, saying he thought it was funny.  I read it and well, I'm not laughing.

http://www.tickld.com/t/423186

If I read it right, it was supposed to be "Babe, what are you talking about, I've been here the whole time. You weren't just with", and then she's supposed to go " ??? But, but...we were talking and...." and then he's supposed to go "Gotcha!" and she goes "You stupid blah blah blah, I thought I was going crazy" and he laughs and laughs. And then she gets him back by making him think he's shrinking or something. But he didn't let her in on the joke, and she had a panic attack. Though the whole thing reads as totally fake. If someone tried it on me I'd probably believe they'd just gotten over there first and said something about racing a bus.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24481 on: November 22, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
The open on Thanksgiving thread reminded me of when I worked at a hotel and had to work holidays and one SS we got to deal with who could not handle that.

Our boss would try to give you one or the other off. Either you go Christmas off or you go Thanksgiving off. You picked which was better for you. Honestly I was more willing to work Christmas because several of my co-workers had little ones that still believed in Santa and all that jazz, I'd work the early morning shift while everyone else slept at my house. And then he'd be extra nice and you'd get the day off after the holiday (so the Friday or the 26th) if you worked that holiday.

Then we hired this SS girl. Her schedule was picky right off the bat. She didn't want to work Sundays. So the boss gave her Sundays and Mondays off. But she couldn't work Wednesday nights either, even though she was night shift. Which meant she worked on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (which mean training her for morning shift in addition to night shift) and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. But then her husband didn't like her working Saturday nights because it was too dangerous to come when people might be out drinking (we got off at 11pm), but she couldn't work Friday mornings because she had a class or something. So she'd work a mid day shift that no one else got on Saturdays so she could get home early enough. Then the holidays happened.

For Halloween we'd dress up and hand out candy to guests. She wouldn't participate in this, at all. When people asked for the candy she refused because it went against her religion. So she got Halloween off. Then she had to have all of Thanksgiving weekend off because they were traveling, which was fine enough people volunteered for it. Then she got scheduled for Christmas and had a meltdown fit! How dare we expect her to work on such a holy holiday!!! She needed to be at CHURCH!!!!

I was working Christmas and didn't want to put up with her so I asked one of my fellow co-workers if he'd mind taking her shift for me (not for her, but for my sanity), and I'd bring him in a breakfast (he'd already worked Thanksgiving so he was supposed to get Christmas off). Luckily it was a very early 5 hour shift, he'd be home before his family even woke up and he was down with the breakfast bribe. So she got Christmas off. But had to work Christmas Eve and the day after. I always got Christmas Eve off. Always, it was a standing agreement. I'd work just about any other shift but we did a big family thing on Christmas Eve (we've since changed it), my boss had zero problem with this. Once I had to work during the day for a co-worker who got sick at work but I didn't mind that. So come the 23rd she's working on someone taking her next day's shift. She just has to have Christmas Eve off! No one will cover it for her (she never took a shift for anyone, threw hissy fits and wasn't a team player, no one was going to help her out), finally she comes to me. "Glitter, take my Christmas Eve shift", I say no. Just no. She says "Oh come on! I've got family stuff to do!", I tell her so do I. She actually says "Real family Glitter! Not your "special" family, I need to be with my parents and grandparents!", I say "As do I. I'm taking your shift, you should have put in a request". She stamps her foot (no really!) and says "I doubt your parents still talk to you, you're just making it up! I'm going to Becky!", Becky was not our manager. They did attend the same church and Becky had gotten her the job but worked in another department. Becky comes out and asks if I'll take it as a favor to her. I tell no, I have plans. Becky says ok and relyes this information to SS.

SS comes in the next day and apparently spends the entire night bad mouthing me and making some degratory comments about how she knows my family disowned me (I have no idea how she got this idea, appaerntly in her world all gay people get disowned by their family...what a sad world). One by one everyone reported her to HR. She got written up and talked to.

Just before New Year's Eve we have a staff meeting. There are a few parties going on, we're going to have a couple cops on property just to make sure nothing goes wrong, all the plans, ect, ect. New Year's Eve was the best to work, it was like a night long party. In the middle of the staff meeting she stands up and says "I'm telling you now, I am not working New Year's Eve. My husband won't allow it, and I don't like all this drinking anyways so I'm not doing it. Make me and I'll be the on in HR" (our HR manager was there, shaking her head). She got the night off, not a big deal, more people wanted to work then didn't want to work. Then she demanded valentine's day off because she was MARRIED and it's a married people's holiday (quick, someone who's married try that on your boss! you get valentine's day off because you're married, let me know how that works out). Unfortunately that one was a no-go because other people were taking vacations, in school, ect and no one wanted to swap with her. So, hissy fit the whole day (I got to work with her), why didn't anyone understand! People like me were supposed to work valentine's day since we'd be alone forever (huh?) and people like her were supposed to be with their husbands! I did talk to the HR manager, just in "she's not doing her job" talk. The final straw came when our boss didn't give her Easter off. He didn't even know it was Easter because he didn't celebrate Easter (considering the hysterics around Christmas he would've just given it to her), but as it was he needed her to work. She threw a fit. A screaming, yelling fit. She called him a few derogatory names and then started shouting about religion and stormed off. She was let go. Finally. We threw a party.

Mollie

« Reply #24482 on: November 22, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
The open on Thanksgiving thread reminded me of when I worked at a hotel and had to work holidays and one SS we got to deal with who could not handle that.

Our boss would try to give you one or the other off. Either you go Christmas off or you go Thanksgiving off. You picked which was better for you. Honestly I was more willing to work Christmas because several of my co-workers had little ones that still believed in Santa and all that jazz, I'd work the early morning shift while everyone else slept at my house. And then he'd be extra nice and you'd get the day off after the holiday (so the Friday or the 26th) if you worked that holiday.

Then we hired this SS girl. Her schedule was picky right off the bat. She didn't want to work Sundays. So the boss gave her Sundays and Mondays off. But she couldn't work Wednesday nights either, even though she was night shift. Which meant she worked on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (which mean training her for morning shift in addition to night shift) and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. But then her husband didn't like her working Saturday nights because it was too dangerous to come when people might be out drinking (we got off at 11pm), but she couldn't work Friday mornings because she had a class or something. So she'd work a mid day shift that no one else got on Saturdays so she could get home early enough. Then the holidays happened.

For Halloween we'd dress up and hand out candy to guests. She wouldn't participate in this, at all. When people asked for the candy she refused because it went against her religion. So she got Halloween off. Then she had to have all of Thanksgiving weekend off because they were traveling, which was fine enough people volunteered for it. Then she got scheduled for Christmas and had a meltdown fit! How dare we expect her to work on such a holy holiday!!! She needed to be at CHURCH!!!!

I was working Christmas and didn't want to put up with her so I asked one of my fellow co-workers if he'd mind taking her shift for me (not for her, but for my sanity), and I'd bring him in a breakfast (he'd already worked Thanksgiving so he was supposed to get Christmas off). Luckily it was a very early 5 hour shift, he'd be home before his family even woke up and he was down with the breakfast bribe. So she got Christmas off. But had to work Christmas Eve and the day after. I always got Christmas Eve off. Always, it was a standing agreement. I'd work just about any other shift but we did a big family thing on Christmas Eve (we've since changed it), my boss had zero problem with this. Once I had to work during the day for a co-worker who got sick at work but I didn't mind that. So come the 23rd she's working on someone taking her next day's shift. She just has to have Christmas Eve off! No one will cover it for her (she never took a shift for anyone, threw hissy fits and wasn't a team player, no one was going to help her out), finally she comes to me. "Glitter, take my Christmas Eve shift", I say no. Just no. She says "Oh come on! I've got family stuff to do!", I tell her so do I. She actually says "Real family Glitter! Not your "special" family, I need to be with my parents and grandparents!", I say "As do I. I'm taking your shift, you should have put in a request". She stamps her foot (no really!) and says "I doubt your parents still talk to you, you're just making it up! I'm going to Becky!", Becky was not our manager. They did attend the same church and Becky had gotten her the job but worked in another department. Becky comes out and asks if I'll take it as a favor to her. I tell no, I have plans. Becky says ok and relyes this information to SS.

SS comes in the next day and apparently spends the entire night bad mouthing me and making some degratory comments about how she knows my family disowned me (I have no idea how she got this idea, appaerntly in her world all gay people get disowned by their family...what a sad world). One by one everyone reported her to HR. She got written up and talked to.

Just before New Year's Eve we have a staff meeting. There are a few parties going on, we're going to have a couple cops on property just to make sure nothing goes wrong, all the plans, ect, ect. New Year's Eve was the best to work, it was like a night long party. In the middle of the staff meeting she stands up and says "I'm telling you now, I am not working New Year's Eve. My husband won't allow it, and I don't like all this drinking anyways so I'm not doing it. Make me and I'll be the on in HR" (our HR manager was there, shaking her head). She got the night off, not a big deal, more people wanted to work then didn't want to work. Then she demanded valentine's day off because she was MARRIED and it's a married people's holiday (quick, someone who's married try that on your boss! you get valentine's day off because you're married, let me know how that works out). Unfortunately that one was a no-go because other people were taking vacations, in school, ect and no one wanted to swap with her. So, hissy fit the whole day (I got to work with her), why didn't anyone understand! People like me were supposed to work valentine's day since we'd be alone forever (huh?) and people like her were supposed to be with their husbands! I did talk to the HR manager, just in "she's not doing her job" talk. The final straw came when our boss didn't give her Easter off. He didn't even know it was Easter because he didn't celebrate Easter (considering the hysterics around Christmas he would've just given it to her), but as it was he needed her to work. She threw a fit. A screaming, yelling fit. She called him a few derogatory names and then started shouting about religion and stormed off. She was let go. Finally. We threw a party.

And of course, insulting the person you are asking a favor of always works so well. I am sure that if you didn't have parents and grandparents to see, you would be willing to do backflips in order to accomodate her request, right?

Firecat

« Reply #24483 on: November 22, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
Wow, Glitter, she was a Super Special Snowflake, wasn't she? I don't blame you for throwing a party when she was let go; I'm just surprised that your boss put up with her for so long!

By contrast, way back in my undergraduate days, I worked a security job on campus. So we worked holidays, all kinds of weird hours (lots of evenings and overnights, for example). And one year, Christmas happened to fall on a day that I usually worked.

However, I also happened to know that one coworker really liked the holiday shifts, because he liked the money. And long about November, that coworker and I were getting back into the office after working a shift, so I asked him "Hey, want a Christmas shift?"

The trainee I had with me looked at me like "oh, yeah, like anyone's going to agree to that..." and the coworker's response was "yeah, yeah, gimme, gimme, gimme!" So we filled out the shift change request on the spot. I was happy, coworker was happy, trainee was...bemused. Sometimes it's in a) knowing who to ask and b) getting there first!

cwm

« Reply #24484 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
When I worked retail for one year, I ended up needing abdominal surgery the day before Thanksgiving. It was scheduled before the work schedule was out for that week, and as I wasn't going to be in to work the next few days, I called the manager. I told him I needed Black Friday off, and before I could even explain why, he interrupted me with, "Sorry, we just went over this in the meetings the past few days, nobody is getting that day off. If you need a specific shift talk with someone to switch once the schedule comes out. Nobody's getting that day off." I had to wait a full minute while he explained that everyone had to be there. When he finally finished I said, "Well, that's nice, but I think recovering from surgery would count as a good reason to miss work. I'll be two days out of surgery at that point, and the doctor said I'm likely to need a week. Sorry, I won't make it."

Everyone at work was giving me dirty looks when the schedule came out and I wasn't on it for the day before Thanksgiving, Black Friday, or that entire weekend. I had to go and explain to all of them that I wasn't just making it hard for them, I was honestly having surgery. Some of them still didn't believe me until I came back to work with the scars to prove it!

nuit93

« Reply #24485 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »

She sounds like a such a sad person.  I almost feel bad for her.

I still would have thrown a party when she left though.  I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24486 on: November 22, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
When I worked retail for one year, I ended up needing abdominal surgery the day before Thanksgiving. It was scheduled before the work schedule was out for that week, and as I wasn't going to be in to work the next few days, I called the manager. I told him I needed Black Friday off, and before I could even explain why, he interrupted me with, "Sorry, we just went over this in the meetings the past few days, nobody is getting that day off. If you need a specific shift talk with someone to switch once the schedule comes out. Nobody's getting that day off." I had to wait a full minute while he explained that everyone had to be there. When he finally finished I said, "Well, that's nice, but I think recovering from surgery would count as a good reason to miss work. I'll be two days out of surgery at that point, and the doctor said I'm likely to need a week. Sorry, I won't make it."

Everyone at work was giving me dirty looks when the schedule came out and I wasn't on it for the day before Thanksgiving, Black Friday, or that entire weekend. I had to go and explain to all of them that I wasn't just making it hard for them, I was honestly having surgery. Some of them still didn't believe me until I came back to work with the scars to prove it!

This reminded me of a friend of mine who normally wasn't a SS but in this instance was.

My sister was a manager of a large retail department store and they often hired seasonal staff. My friend needed some additional income and my sister hired her for the season starting in mid October. All seasonal staff were hired with the knowledge they'd need to work black Friday, all weekends, Christmas Eve, the day after Christmas, New Years Eve, New Years Day, and Jan 3rd of that year because that was when the store closed early and they did year end inventory.

Friend first came and asked Sis if she could have Black Friday off because her full time job had offered to let her have Wed before Tday off and she decided she'd like to go home for the holiday. Sis told her no but she'd schedule her for the late shift so that she could work from 1 to 9pm and could drive in that morning. Friend wasn't thrilled but didn't complain too much.

Next friend asked if she could have a Saturday off to attend her company party. Sis offered to reschedule her for a morning shift so she could attend but friend declined because she said she'd be too tired after working a full Saturday to go anyway.

Then friend asked if she could have a half morning Xmas Eve shift so she could leave early by 1pm. Sis said no, that all seasonal employees were required to work till closing on Xmas Eve but that the store would be closing by 4pm. Friend got really pouty. Sis got very ticked.

Friend works on NYE but calls in sick on NY's Day and again on inventory day. Sis is really, really ticked now but the season is over and she just leaves it alone because this was a friend of mine and she knew she'd be around her in social situations. Sis didn't tell me about the issues until the next year.

Why does Sis tell me about the issues the next year. Because friend calls sis up the next October and asks if she can come back as a seasonal employee. This was Sis. :o >:( ::)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24487 on: November 22, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
People think they can work during the holiday season and have holidays off?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24488 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
And of course, insulting the person you are asking a favor of always works so well. I am sure that if you didn't have parents and grandparents to see, you would be willing to do backflips in order to accomodate her request, right?

Why yes of course! The best way to get me to do a favor is to insult me while asking me to do it!

I think she saw I'd swap around a lot with other people and figured I'd just do this for her. She might have thought I was a push over (I'd ran into this with a prior co-worker), she was very surprised that in fact I did favors for people who were nice and did favors in return for me. I actually have a lovely spine, and I have no issue saying no to people.

When I had trained her (I'd been there awhile and the boss often had me help train people) she kept telling me she knew how to do all of this she had finished college after all and was going to be a teacher. Ok, great. I didn't get why she kept telling me she had finished college (I mean good for you, but it's not like you cured cancer), until someone pointed out to me she'd heard I was still in college and we were the same age (I was in grad school getting my PhD). The theory was that she was trying to tell me she was smarter then me. My word, if you wanna rub my nose in how brilliant you are start by telling me you're brilliant. A lot of people finish college. I started turning around on her "Oh, you went to college, you know how this works, right?" and force her to admit that no she needed help. She really looked down on our supervisor. A wonderful woman, kind, helpful, but she'd never been college and in fact had dropped out of high school to support her family. So SS was always talking down to her, which I always thought was just stupid, this woman had worked her way up from a part-time housekeeper to second in command at the front desk, she knew everyone. She's now the general manager of the hotel. I don't know what happened to SS. I'd heard she was pregnant and going to be a stay at home mom, which seems like a good fit for her. Though I doubt her kid(s) will care she graduated from college.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24489 on: November 22, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »

I'd been teaching his son in reading about silent e, and how it makes vowels say their name rather than their short sound (e.g. hop vs hope, sit vs site, etc.) which is useful, since there are literally hundreds of such words in English, including a lot of very common ones.

The dirty word? "nude"   ...

I loved your story, but I'm sitting here wondering what a 'nud' would be?   ;D

I take it that some words were just random words without a "no silent e" counterpart?

Of course there's the fact that for many of us, "nude" doesn't fit the silent-e-makes-vowels-say-their name "rule." I pronounce it "nood" not "newd"; (to keep it on topic) how about "rude"? Pretty much all of those "rules" are worthless in English. It would be fine if there were just a couple of exceptions but there are almost as many exceptions as examples that conform.  I may be weird, but I think i-before-e is another worthless one; who needs a "rule" that has two exceptions built in and lots of counter-examples, even to the exceptions? But perhaps I should rein in my irritation and stop being so scientific about it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24490 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

I'd been teaching his son in reading about silent e, and how it makes vowels say their name rather than their short sound (e.g. hop vs hope, sit vs site, etc.) which is useful, since there are literally hundreds of such words in English, including a lot of very common ones.

I take it that some words were just random words without a "no silent e" counterpart?

Of course there's the fact that for many of us, "nude" doesn't fit the silent-e-makes-vowels-say-their name "rule." I pronounce it "nood" not "newd"; (to keep it on topic) how about "rude"? Pretty much all of those "rules" are worthless in English. It would be fine if there were just a couple of exceptions but there are almost as many exceptions as examples that conform.  I may be weird, but I think i-before-e is another worthless one; who needs a "rule" that has two exceptions built in and lots of counter-examples, even to the exceptions? But perhaps I should rein in my irritation and stop being so scientific about it.

So that it rhymes with (for example) "wood" and not "food"?  That's a new one for me, seriously!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24491 on: November 22, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

So that it rhymes with (for example) "wood" and not "food"?  That's a new one for me, seriously!

I think it's more the difference between "food" and "ewwwww!"

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #24492 on: November 22, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »

I think it's more the difference between "food" and "ewwwww!"

Ahhh.  THAT makes a lot more sense, yes.

Pen^2

« Reply #24493 on: November 22, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »

As someone who teaches this sort of thing, and who has observed literally hundreds of children learn and practice such rules before picking up a book and being able to read it for the first time, let me assure you that there are several extremely useful rules in English, where it's much easier to learn a single rule and a dozen exceptions than to just memorise the spelling and pronunciation of several hundred otherwise easy-to-learn words. I before e is not such a rule--it's often used as an example of English spelling rules and it's a terrible one, because the exceptions greatly outnumber the adherents. It's out of date and isn't even taught here or in Australia any more, nor has it been for decades, because it's so useless. Actual rules like whether or not a c is soft (basically always unless it's followed by an e, i, or y) are tremendously useful, and their exceptions are terribly few and often not words a child would even know. Silent k and g is another rule we teach: if a word starts with kn/gn, then the k/g is silent. The exceptions are incredibly few, and aren't words that even the majority of adults would know.

Here, "nude" is pronounced "nyood", if that helps. And I didn't go into detail because I felt it wasn't relevant to my original post, but the magic e and u actually has two options: u can either say "yoo" or just "oo" depending on the word. There is a reason for this which is technical and irrelevant here. But of the two options, only ever one is an actual word, and the other is gibberish, so you always know what to go with. I have lists of all English words (found in the dictionary, anyway) for each rule (typically hundreds or thousands depending on the rule) and all their exceptions (often a few dozen at most). So let me please assure you that there are not "almost as many exceptions as examples that conform" at all.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #24494 on: November 22, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
To quote comedian Brian Regan:

"I before E except after C
And when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh
And on weekends and holidays and all throughout May
And you'll never be right no matter what you say!"