Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5527001 times)

Redsoil

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24570 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
Getting back to the kid that was hurt, this confused me...

"He will be spending months regaining his muscles. He is a sporty kid and will have to be out of contact sport for a few months."

Uh, he got stitches?  What does that have to do with regaining his muscles?  I did a face plant into our fireplace and got stitches above my eye and in the middle of the forehead.  I was back in action pretty much as soon as we got home from the ER. 

Am I missing something?  Did he injure something else?

My guess is that he probably also suffered a concussion and has been ordered to stay way from a lot of sports for a while. Therefore, he will lose muscle condition that he will have to work to regain.

A concussion will keep you out of contact sports for a week maybe two.  If he has that serious of a brain contusion that he can't do contact sports for months and months, then yeah that's different.  However, had he not been up there in the first place, it wouldn't have happened

I don't have a dog in the should be-shouldn't be on the wall, but had to address this. We are learning more and more about concussions every day, and the current knowledge is clear that the old suggestion of a week or two of rest from contact sports is insufficient. For even mild concussions the recommendations now lean toward comprehensive brain rest (no contact, no significant exercise, even no intensive studying/academic work) for a week or two, then modified activity for a period of time. How long depends on a lot of individual factors, including history of concussion, severity of impact, age, gender, etc. I have seen many individuals with "mild" concussion (though now the language is changing to call it what it is - a traumatic brain injury) who are still on restrictions months after the incident.

This is your friendly PSA on concussion. Please see a real life medical professional for actual advice :)

And anyone who is wondering how anyone keeps an active, school age child on that kind of restriction, all can say is there are a great many parents deserving of great sympathy. And maybe a drink.

CuriousParty - you beat me to it!  There is a lot more research being done on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (concussion), along with the outcome of cumulative effects on children who are not given sufficient time to rest the brain before sustaining further knocks in sports.  I know the US is supposed to have implemented much more stringent regulations on concussion injuries and return to sport, but I'm not sure where many of the Aussie states stand on this issue.  It's entirely possible the child's medical professional is up on the latest research - to avoid brain stimulation and possibility of further knocks/jostling - thus, the time away from sport. 

I do think the mother is a idiot for not keeping the child off a war memorial (VERY disrespectful!) and for banging on in the media the way she has.  You can bet she's doing neither herself nor her son any favours in how they are viewed by the community at large.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

kckgirl

« Reply #24571 on: November 29, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
The person, who, even though he received a 1 hour guarantee card, was mad because we were out of TVs and he couldn't get one that minute.

That would make me mad, too, if I had a guarantee that it would be there and it wasn't. If they cannot actually guarantee its availability, they shouldn't offer the guarantee.
Maryland

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24572 on: November 29, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »
I'm telling this story because something similar happened one time when I went to buy yarn, and bought up all of one color.  The wave of Déjà vu almost knocked me down.

A few days ago, I went to the craft store to pick up two cross stitch bookmarks and five different shades each of blue and purple.  I had decided to change the color of the rose design on the bookmark; my mom wanted purple, and I prefer blue.  There were only two bookmarks left.  There was a woman in the aisle, but she was way at the other end of it, looking at something else.  No one was showing interest in the bookmarks, so I took them and went to pick out the embroidery floss.  The woman saw that I had the last two bookmarks, gave me a dirty look, and muttered, "Greedy..."

I pretended I hadn't heard her.  If she was looking at the bookmarks, I wouldn't have touched them.

I was at a yarn warehouse sale one day.  There was one other shopper - a mother with a young daughter, maybe 4 or 5.  Daughter was trying to talk her mother into buying all sorts of purple coloured yarn to make her something.  After they moved on to another area, I started looking at this particular bin that had a lot of purple in it.  In the end, I did grab one bag of 10 balls of purple yarn, along with two bags of other colours.  The little girl got so mad and stomped her foot saying something like, 'I want all the purple yarn; you can't have it.'  It was all I could do not to burst out laughing.  Her poor mom was so embarrassed but I gave her a smile to let her know I was more amused than anything and headed off to the cash with my purchases.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #24573 on: November 29, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
The person, who, even though he received a 1 hour guarantee card, was mad because we were out of TVs and he couldn't get one that minute.

That would make me mad, too, if I had a guarantee that it would be there and it wasn't. If they cannot actually guarantee its availability, they shouldn't offer the guarantee.

That's not how it works for this particular deal, or I, too, would be mad.

What Wal-Mart was offering was, if you got to the store in the first hour and they were out of what you wanted, you would get a guarantee card wherein you get that item for the Black Friday price but it will have to be delivered/picked up at a later date.  They card guarantees the item at the Black Friday price is all.  He wasn't guaranteed the item that day.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Jocelyn

« Reply #24574 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

It would be nearly impossible for a store to predict how many customers might choose to respond to their ad. This policy was intended to respond to the objections from past years, of people who lined up early, and only the first X were able to get the hot item. People were literally killed in the stampedes to be in the first X. I think that telling everyone who's there within the first hour that they will get their item at the sale price- maybe not today, but in the next week or so- is a better way of dealing with it. Hopefully, no one will be tramped in a mad rush this year.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #24575 on: November 29, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »

What Wal-Mart was offering was, if you got to the store in the first hour and they were out of what you wanted, you would get a guarantee card wherein you get that item for the Black Friday price but it will have to be delivered/picked up at a later date.  They card guarantees the item at the Black Friday price is all.  He wasn't guaranteed the item that day.

Thank you for explaining this better than I did. I sometimes manage to miss important points when I am explaining things.

Our store's sales were the best yesterday since the store opened. When I heard how many TVs we had, I didn't think in a million years we would have sold out of them. We had so many people in the one hour, the guarantee cards had to be photocopied.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:01:44 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

Chip2

« Reply #24576 on: November 29, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
I'm telling this story because something similar happened one time when I went to buy yarn, and bought up all of one color.  The wave of Déjà vu almost knocked me down.

A few days ago, I went to the craft store to pick up two cross stitch bookmarks and five different shades each of blue and purple.  I had decided to change the color of the rose design on the bookmark; my mom wanted purple, and I prefer blue.  There were only two bookmarks left.  There was a woman in the aisle, but she was way at the other end of it, looking at something else.  No one was showing interest in the bookmarks, so I took them and went to pick out the embroidery floss.  The woman saw that I had the last two bookmarks, gave me a dirty look, and muttered, "Greedy..."

I pretended I hadn't heard her.  If she was looking at the bookmarks, I wouldn't have touched them.

I was at a yarn warehouse sale one day.  There was one other shopper - a mother with a young daughter, maybe 4 or 5.  Daughter was trying to talk her mother into buying all sorts of purple coloured yarn to make her something.  After they moved on to another area, I started looking at this particular bin that had a lot of purple in it.  In the end, I did grab one bag of 10 balls of purple yarn, along with two bags of other colours.  The little girl got so mad and stomped her foot saying something like, 'I want all the purple yarn; you can't have it.'  It was all I could do not to burst out laughing.  Her poor mom was so embarrassed but I gave her a smile to let her know I was more amused than anything and headed off to the cash with my purchases.

When I was stationed on Okinawa in the '80s I went to the Kadena AFB BX to do some shopping. I went by a random aisle and there were at least a dozen women opening zipped bags, half-pulling out the contents, and throwing the bags back on the shelves. Being curious, I stepped into the aisle and grabbed a bag that was half-hidden behind a column, opened it, and found a mink blanket with a pretty cool tiger design. (Apparently most of the other blankets had a really ugly deer design and were being rejected.) I said, "Cool!" and decided to buy the blanket. A couple of the women who'd been ransacking the aisle saw me and said something; I ended up being yelled at in at least three different languages. Didn't bother me; I bought the blanket and still have it.  ;D

Oh, if you're wondering what a 'mink' blanket is:  http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Collection-Tigers-Hidden-Blanket/dp/B004DK874O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1385748220&sr=8-7&keywords=mink+blanket

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #24577 on: November 29, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
^
My son has one of those with the eagle, globe, & anchor on it. It has such a nice soft feel to it!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24578 on: November 29, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
I felt like a little bit of a snowflake today. There is a new bbq equipment business opening in town. They held a grand opening today, with a live band and tables of free food. I was there with my sister, BIL and parents. What you were supposed to do was pick up a plate, the owners would fill it with beans, slaw, smoked bbq and then you moved further down to get condiments + drinks at the end of the table. There was maybe 15 long tables for people to eat at. There was a big cooker / kettle thing at the drink station and at some point they started letting people have Brunswick stew from it. So most people that were eating a sandwich got up, stood in line for a bowl of stew and took it back to their table.

After we finished eating, the owners started dishing out ribs (in addition to the sandwiches, stew, etc). BIL and I said "Well, I'll go back up there if you go with me." BIL said "Should we take our used plates ?" I said "No, we should probably grab a clean plate at the line." So BIL gets in line, asks for ribs and the owner puts some on BIL's plate. Then I asked if I could please have ribs. The owner asked if I'd already gone through the line for a sandwich. I said yes. He gave me some spiel about "It's one plate per person. We're going to have lots of people and we can't have people eating seconds, etc." And then he gave ribs to all the people behind me in line, who I had seen eating sandwiches and stew, the same as me. BIL is a hulk sized guy and was wearing a distinctive cartoon shirt; so it's not like the owner could've missed handing BIL a sandwich earlier.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #24579 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »
I nominate the people wandering through WalMart last night with their dog. And I don't mean a service dog*. It was some mutt they took turns holding while wandering around together and separately. Black Friday crowds are not appropriate for the average dog.

*It very clearly was not a service animal by the way they acted and how they treated the dog.

kckgirl

« Reply #24580 on: November 29, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »

Thanks for explaining. I would be ok with getting something at the Black Friday price, even if I had to wait a bit for more to come in.
Maryland

mmswm

« Reply #24581 on: November 29, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Some employee at Walmart last night tried to sandbag one of the Black Friday deals.  Unfortunately, that employee underestimated my father and his willingness to get involved when he sees an injustice.

Our Walmart handled limited item doorbusters by handing out wristbands to the first X number of people in line for that item, with X being the number of that item they had in stock.  You did have to stay in line though, so you couldn't get there super early and grab wristbands for all the highly wanted items.  Anyway, my parents got in line for one particular item.  They got their wristbands, which were numbers 11 and 12 out of 14.  Two people got in line behind them and got the last two.  So the wait begins.  My parents and the people around them proceed to spend the next six hours getting to know each other. 

The designated time rolls around and they start handing out the items.  My parents get theirs, the woman behind them gets hers, and then they get to the last guy with a wristband.  They are short an item.  The guy who's getting shafted is not happy.  My dad notices and starts questioning the employee and asks for a manager on the guy's behalf.  At first the manager took the "too bad, so sad" attitude, and Dad brought up the fact that the little wrist band could be interpreted as a contract, and failing to fulfill their end of said contract could result in legal troubles.  I don't know if he was bluffing, as I'm not an expert with Florida law, but it was enough to get the manager worried.  As all this is going on, Dad's overhearing pages on the radio the manager is carrying about other lines being short an item or two.  This gets the manager into action.  He tells the guy to wait while he goes and investigates. 

About a half hour later, the manager comes back with the guy's item and a cart full of all the other "missing" items. Turns out that one or more employees had plucked out some of the higher demand items and tried to hide them in the stock room so they could purchase them later. Now, I realize that working at a store like that on a day like this has to stink, but you still have to follow the rules.  Unfortunately for those employees, if the management ever finds out who did it, they're going to get fired.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24582 on: November 30, 2013, 02:30:57 AM »
Today's driving special snowflake:

<bg>My wife and I are in the process of moving.  I have back issues that cause pain if the car takes a turn faster than the turn is designed for, so we tend to keep to the posted speed limit.  We have made a number of trips and know the route fairly well.

There is an area of road where it goes from 55 mph to a blind 45 mph turn to a warning sign for bridge construction @ 25 mph then to the 25mph very quickly and there is a stoplight or flagger because the bridge is one lane right now.</bg>

A car had been coming up behind us, gaining very quickly.  Given when the car first appeared in the rear view mirror I figure it was going about 70 mph.  It got on our tail just as we entered the blind 45 mph turn, buried its nose in our tail through the turn and then sped up to pass us as soon as we were coming out of the turn.  It was a green SUV with a man driving, a female passenger in the passenger front and two children in the back.

We slowed down because 1. the 25 mph zone was less then 100 feet ahead and 2.  There was a car stopped at the stoplight.  3.  Other cars were approaching in the lane the green SUV was passing in.  The driver of the green SUV zipped into the correct lane then slammed on the brakes.  Luckily he stopped before he rear ended the Cadillac stopped at the light.

As we all waited at the light, I noticed that the green SUV had just been purchased (it still had the temporary paper plate in the window) and it made me wonder - "Who drives like a maniac in an unfamiliar car while transporting their family?"

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #24583 on: November 30, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
This may have been posted here before, but the self-righteous vegan stories reminded me of the post. It's got to be one of my favorite PAN of all time.

Where the roommate decides to become a vegan, and will no longer tolerate animal products in the shared house:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/07/06/self-righteous-vegan/
Notice, that says ROOMMATE, not mother, not landlord, not anyone that has any right to demand a roommate change her diet.

Where the same vegan tries to make a cat live on a vegan diet, but the cat does not consent:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/02/05/hard-out-there-for-a-vegan-cat/
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Pen^2

« Reply #24584 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
This may have been posted here before, but the self-righteous vegan stories reminded me of the post. It's got to be one of my favorite PAN of all time.

Where the roommate decides to become a vegan, and will no longer tolerate animal products in the shared house:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/07/06/self-righteous-vegan/
Notice, that says ROOMMATE, not mother, not landlord, not anyone that has any right to demand a roommate change her diet.

Where the same vegan tries to make a cat live on a vegan diet, but the cat does not consent:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/02/05/hard-out-there-for-a-vegan-cat/

I've seen the first one before, but that second one... wow. Thank goodness she took the cat to a vet to find out that a vegan diet would mean starvation for the poor animal. And the language she uses is pretty patronising. "Since you have a primitive diet, would you mind adopting it? Do any of your little meat-eating friends want a cat?" What a great friend to have   ::)