Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5731574 times)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24585 on: November 30, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
This may have been posted here before, but the self-righteous vegan stories reminded me of the post. It's got to be one of my favorite PAN of all time.

Where the roommate decides to become a vegan, and will no longer tolerate animal products in the shared house:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/07/06/self-righteous-vegan/
Notice, that says ROOMMATE, not mother, not landlord, not anyone that has any right to demand a roommate change her diet.

Where the same vegan tries to make a cat live on a vegan diet, but the cat does not consent:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/02/05/hard-out-there-for-a-vegan-cat/

I've seen the first one before, but that second one... wow. Thank goodness she took the cat to a vet to find out that a vegan diet would mean starvation for the poor animal. And the language she uses is pretty patronising. "Since you have a primitive diet, would you mind adopting it? Do any of your little meat-eating friends want a cat?" What a great friend to have   ::)

I figured she tried to put it on a vegan diet, it got sick, and that's why she took it to the vet. And took it to another when she didn't hear what she wanted. And probably another after that.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24586 on: November 30, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
EvilMK just wants to smack her with a clue-by-four! >:D

Why did she agree to share space with such a "primate" person in the first place?  I remember when my xSIL joined a cult & started treating my brother like a lower life form whose purpose was to enable her enlightenment.  Same attitude. >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24587 on: November 30, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
This may have been posted here before, but the self-righteous vegan stories reminded me of the post. It's got to be one of my favorite PAN of all time.

Where the roommate decides to become a vegan, and will no longer tolerate animal products in the shared house:
Notice, that says ROOMMATE, not mother, not landlord, not anyone that has any right to demand a roommate change her diet.

Where the same vegan tries to make a cat live on a vegan diet, but the cat does not consent:
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/02/05/hard-out-there-for-a-vegan-cat/

This reminds me of the time I moved into a new apartment. The building was small, only 4 apartments in it. The building was "L" shaped, and the kitchens were set up so that they faced the courtyard that was in the angle of the L. This meant that if you were cooking with the kitchen windows open, all the neighbors could smell what you were cooking. And of course, cooking odors wafted through the shared hallways in the building as well.

My second day there, my next-door neighbor knocked on my door and introduced herself. She made a point of reminding me that the building was smoke-free, which was fine. Then she went on to add that she was vegan and she knew I wouldn't mind not cooking meat, eggs or any other animal products in my kitchen, as the smell made her sick.

Since the landlord had mentioned nothing about this, I told her I'd have to check with the landlord. She just repeated that she knew I wouldn't want to make her sick, and left.

A quick phone call to the landlord got him spitting mad. He'd apparently been dealing with this request from my neighbor to all new tenants for the past two years, and at least one tenant had moved because of her harassment. He told me to cook what I wanted, when I wanted.

I mean, if she'd been pregnant and the smell of cooking meat made her throw up, I'd have done something because there'd have been a time limit. But not cook any animal product for the next *year* until the lease was up? Simply not happening.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24588 on: November 30, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #24589 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24590 on: November 30, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
I've got one from thanksgiving!

So, aunt and uncle host thanksgiving every year. It is awesome. Wonderful food. And they make a lot so we can all take home leftovers. In order to tell you this years story, I must tell you last years story. Everyone get some popcorn, you might need it.

So last year not everyone was there for thanksgiving. My cousin actually was working during thanksgiving (his shift ended at seven but we  ate ate like... four) So aunt did let everyone take leftovers like usual, but knew we would be considerate considering cousin hadn't had any of the meal yet.
Or rather, she assumed everyone would be considerate. She didn't count on Cousin Greedy and her Clan. Her Clan consists of herself, her husband, and her then 11 year old daughter.
Everyone grabbed what they wanted, within reason of course. Not Cousin Greedy. No siree.
Her and her husband descended upon the food and started clearing it out. Aunt actually had to step in and say "Leave some for Cousin for when he gets off shift."
Greedy's Husband chimed in with "Well what does he eat, we'll leave some of that for him." everything down to what type of cheese cake he liked so they could take the rest!(it was an assortment)

I tell you that story to tell you this one...

So this year, like every year we get leftovers. My mom asked me what I would like. I answered nothing because well, I'd had my fill.
Everyone went to get leftovers, and when Aunt reminded Cousin Greedy to leave some for other people, she left some for other people alright... a scant teaspoonful of sweet potatoes. What if someone else had wanted some? They also descended like locusts upon everything else.

At least this year cousin was actually at Thanksgiving dinner, otherwise he would have had nothing to come home to!

Mom managed to get some stuffing, lasagna and turkey though. At least its something, right?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24591 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
If I was the hostess, I'd quit offering leftovers.  Or I'd prepackage them myself and dole them out.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #24592 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Seconded. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24593 on: November 30, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
We've been doing it the same way for years. It's just that Cousin Greedy is well, greedy. She's the only one. Just one family of three, ruining it for the rest of us.

Amara

« Reply #24594 on: November 30, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
I wonder why the hosts continue to invite Cousin Greedy. Or why they don't just station a police officer in the kitchen.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24595 on: November 30, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
I wonder why the hosts continue to invite Cousin Greedy. Or why they don't just station a police officer in the kitchen.

Because she's faaaaaaaaaaaamily. And that is a good idea. I will take that under advisement if we have Christmas here this year!

kckgirl

« Reply #24596 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
We've been doing it the same way for years. It's just that Cousin Greedy is well, greedy. She's the only one. Just one family of three, ruining it for the rest of us.

I agree with a previous poster. If you invite Cousin Greedy (I wouldn't), don't let everybody pack their own leftovers. Say you want some actually left over for yourself. Have them wait in the living room and pack their to-go container with a reasonable amount for their family, and give it to them. You don't have to let them just descend on it and take everything just because that's what they want.
Maryland

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24597 on: November 30, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
I had a SIL who "helped clear the table" and an Oneida Heirloom stainless soup spoon had to be replaced when we had the money again (she used the cheapest lightweight tableware from the grocery store or WalMart - and replaced the entire set for a few dollars - she mentioned that to me at some time, I don't think that it was that day, though).  It took until the next day to finish putting away all the dishes (three dishwasher loads plus hand washing) - so I didn't know that a spoon was missing until after the trash was picked up...

I politely declined offers to "help" from guests after that - just a mention that I wanted to stack things up for washing later & put up the food before joining everyone in the living room for conversation & dessert (if the kids were old enough to trust not to turn cake or pie upside down so that it dropped on the carpet). 

My prize for Thanksgiving Bingo was extra whipped cream on my dessert...it worked!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24598 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »

This reminds me of the time I moved into a new apartment. The building was small, only 4 apartments in it. The building was "L" shaped, and the kitchens were set up so that they faced the courtyard that was in the angle of the L. This meant that if you were cooking with the kitchen windows open, all the neighbors could smell what you were cooking. And of course, cooking odors wafted through the shared hallways in the building as well.

My second day there, my next-door neighbor knocked on my door and introduced herself. She made a point of reminding me that the building was smoke-free, which was fine. Then she went on to add that she was vegan and she knew I wouldn't mind not cooking meat, eggs or any other animal products in my kitchen, as the smell made her sick.

Since the landlord had mentioned nothing about this, I told her I'd have to check with the landlord. She just repeated that she knew I wouldn't want to make her sick, and left.

A quick phone call to the landlord got him spitting mad. He'd apparently been dealing with this request from my neighbor to all new tenants for the past two years, and at least one tenant had moved because of her harassment. He told me to cook what I wanted, when I wanted.

I mean, if she'd been pregnant and the smell of cooking meat made her throw up, I'd have done something because there'd have been a time limit. But not cook any animal product for the next *year* until the lease was up? Simply not happening.

That would have tempted me to cook liver.   I don't even LIKE liver.

Carotte

« Reply #24599 on: December 01, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
I'm going to have to ask my boss if we can post a notice saying "Depending on the number of customers, employees cannot assure that your purchase will be gift wrapped 10 minutes from the store closing time". (that's a bit wordy but meh).
See, I do gift wrap in an upscale department store. It takes time, even if I'm the faster wrapper I still can't work magic, something that some customers seem to think.
If you show up 4 minutes from closing time with two huge boxes, we're going to tell you it's not possible. (we're not paid overtime, we've already had a long day filled with some bad customers, it's 8pm and we just want to go home. I'm not sure we're actually allowed to work past the store closing or that the customer can be on the premises.)
Moaning "they should put a notice that gift wrapping won't be available 15min before the store closes" " will get you a "from what planet are you from" look. It's 7:55pm, what on earth were you expecting?, at 7:45 we would have done them (well, not that day, we already had a customer with multiple gifts to do).

We get some reality challenged customers, thankfully very few who gets nasty with us, but the ones that get surprised that their 25+ boxes will take a while to wrap, or who asks us to wrap three boxes together but they don't match one way or the other (3 different heights, widths, lengths...) and are puzzled when we tell them it's not going to be possible, are meet with a "we're not actually Santa's little magical workers"* look.

*That's the nice version of the thought, people working in retail or with difficult customers will know what we really think deep down.