Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5517646 times)

Yarnspinner

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24600 on: December 01, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »
I'm going to have to ask my boss if we can post a notice saying "Depending on the number of customers, employees cannot assure that your purchase will be gift wrapped 10 minutes from the store closing time". (that's a bit wordy but meh).
See, I do gift wrap in an upscale department store. It takes time, even if I'm the faster wrapper I still can't work magic, something that some customers seem to think.
If you show up 4 minutes from closing time with two huge boxes, we're going to tell you it's not possible. (we're not paid overtime, we've already had a long day filled with some bad customers, it's 8pm and we just want to go home. I'm not sure we're actually allowed to work past the store closing or that the customer can be on the premises.)
Moaning "they should put a notice that gift wrapping won't be available 15min before the store closes" " will get you a "from what planet are you from" look. It's 7:55pm, what on earth were you expecting?, at 7:45 we would have done them (well, not that day, we already had a customer with multiple gifts to do).

We get some reality challenged customers, thankfully very few who gets nasty with us, but the ones that get surprised that their 25+ boxes will take a while to wrap, or who asks us to wrap three boxes together but they don't match one way or the other (3 different heights, widths, lengths...) and are puzzled when we tell them it's not going to be possible, are meet with a "we're not actually Santa's little magical workers"* look.

*That's the nice version of the thought, people working in retail or with difficult customers will know what we really think deep down.

Oh, yes, the you're-not-closed-until-I-say-you're-closed snowflake. 

Depending on the day, the library closes at 6 p.m., 8 p.m. or 5 p.m.  We are open seven days a week (not that the staff really likes this idea, but a lot of us sign up for the seventh day because we need the money).  Our times are posted in the paper, on our website and on our front doors. 

Showing up at five of eight on my late shift and screaming "You can't be closing!  I need to write a ten page term paper for tomorrow!  I need your computers NOW!"  Does not make the computers come back up. 

They are shut down by a special program at quarter to the hour to encourage all the game players to go home.  Even if I WANTED to bring the computers back up (and I don't) the program is locked and maintained by--wait for it--a company in another state.

Also, YOU have been here since noon, playing Candy Crush and NOW you think you should get started on your homework? 

Apparently, the correct answer is always "You are racist."

Even though the lights are out, everyone has left and the security guard is indicating the door and, oh, yes, you're the one who made this time management decision.....I'm racist because I want to go home.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24601 on: December 01, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »
Sighting at the mall today. I hate mall shopping near the holidays, but when I have to go, I will arrive at opening, get what I need and vamoose.

So today I arrived a few minutes before opening and was standing outside Nordstrom,, waiting for
For them to open the doors. Inside, between the inside and outside doors, was someone from the cleaning staff, doing the windows. Customers outside started grumbling as it was exactly 10, so WHY weren't they being let in yet!  The woman cleaning then unlocked the door, and came out to clean the outside of the doors, and everyone tried to rush in. She said no, not open and security is the only one who can let customers in. Well, cue the whining, and where is he, and could she  go GET him?

She said I'm sorry, no. They were not happy, but really? The poor woman has nothing to do with store operations.... And I'm sorry, but it won't kill you if the doors aren't opened until 10:02. It's also possible their clock said 10. Added sighting: the couple with their small dog. I'm sorry, but when did it become ok to bring your pet to the mall?

kckgirl

« Reply #24602 on: December 01, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
I applaud the cleaning woman's backbone. I also think the store should open at 10, not 10:02. That really annoys me when I get to a store early so I can get in and get out (usually because I have somewhere else to be).
Maryland

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24603 on: December 01, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
Added sighting: the couple with their small dog. I'm sorry, but when did it become ok to bring your pet to the mall?

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?

When the party of five stops in the doorway of the shop I'm trying to get into, to have a lengthy argument about who is buying what for whom for Christmas, including a sixth person by mobile phone so that everything has to be repeated loudly, and thereby blocking the entire access, the Free Range Hippy Chick tends to go all hawkish and want to beat one of them to death with her own roll of Christmas wrapping paper. <Sigh> Just one of them? Please? As an example to the others?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24604 on: December 01, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
I applaud the cleaning woman's backbone. I also think the store should open at 10, not 10:02. That really annoys me when I get to a store early so I can get in and get out (usually because I have somewhere else to be).

I don't know if it was so much her spine but the fact I suspect if SHE let customers in, there would be consequences. As for opening times, I am willing to cut stores a little slack. It could have been their clock said 10, and they are required to go by that. I didn't look at the time since I keep my watch fast, but I'm not concerned over a minute or two.

Dr. F.

« Reply #24605 on: December 01, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
Added sighting: the couple with their small dog. I'm sorry, but when did it become ok to bring your pet to the mall?

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?

When the party of five stops in the doorway of the shop I'm trying to get into, to have a lengthy argument about who is buying what for whom for Christmas, including a sixth person by mobile phone so that everything has to be repeated loudly, and thereby blocking the entire access, the Free Range Hippy Chick tends to go all hawkish and want to beat one of them to death with her own roll of Christmas wrapping paper. <Sigh> Just one of them? Please? As an example to the others?

Raccoon? Seriously?!? Wow. I assume they don't have rabies over there, but that would be my first thought here.

If I were on the jury at your wrapping-paper-vigilante trial, I would certainly vote for Justifiable Homicide. If they're not stopping at the entrance, it's at the exit. I was leaving Home Depot today and a man stopped exactly in the middle of the exit doors to do something on his phone. His wife and small child then stationed themselves across the rest of the opening, to make sure no one could escape until the man was done, apparently. A polite, "Excuse me," got me glared at.

Jocelyn

« Reply #24606 on: December 01, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

magicdomino

« Reply #24607 on: December 01, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Raccoons aren't being bred for pets, either.  I could maybe see a skunk -- there are pet skunks (scent glands removed, in case you are wondering) bred for that purpose. There are domesticated foxes too, from a Russian scientific experiment with the excess animals sold to the pet trade.  http://www.domesticfox.com/#!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24608 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
In the US, people keep Australian animals as pets. This is illegal in Australia.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8539562

I personally can't imagine it, poor things. :(

And that guy who has the red kangaroo is just asking for trouble. They can seriously injure you with their tail, claws and back legs.

Bluenomi

« Reply #24609 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
You're not kidding, an adult kangaroo is not going to be a good pet. Annoy one of them and you could be in serious trouble.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24610 on: December 01, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »
Kangaroos can stand on their tail and kick you with both legs.

Just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SO-XpbaycM

I have heard people breed them for pets in places in the US. Seriously...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:41:15 PM by Katana_Geldar »

BarensMom

« Reply #24611 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »
FYI, most Nordstrom's are dog-friendly.  Heck, my personal shopper is disappointed if Baren doesn't come with me.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #24612 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »
I can vouch for kangaroos being dangerous.  My only scar from my time as a zookeeper is from a Kangaroo bite.  I worked with Arabian Oryx, Bonteboks, Sika Deer, Bongos, Havalenas, Cheetahs, Rhinos, and Zebras.  All of them were dangerous in their own way (the Arabian Orxy attempted to kill me every morning).  But the roo was the only one who managed to injure me (I had to pin her down for her shots).

I love animals, but there are certains ones that should not be domesticated.  Admire them, love them, but leave them in their proper habitat!

**Edited because I do know the proper form of there!**
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:00:23 PM by magiccat26 »
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24613 on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

Jocelyn

« Reply #24614 on: December 01, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »
I can vouch for kangaroos being dangerous.  My only scar from my time as a zookeeper is from a Kangaroo bite.  I worked with Arabian Oryx, Bonteboks, Sika Deer, Bongos, Havalenas, Cheetahs, Rhinos, and Zebras.  All of them were dangerous in their own way (the Arabian Orxy attempted to kill me every morning).  But the roo was the only one who managed to injure me (I had to pin her down for her shots).

I love animals, but their are certains ones that should not be domesticated.  Admire them, love them, but leave them in their proper habitat!
Amen! Even domesticated species like dogs and cats can do a lot of damage if they're undersocialized and have some motivation to attack. I ended up in the ER after Benedict got his foot caught in the recliner. He's a lovely cat, very well socialized...but he was scared and in pain and all he knew was that I was trying to hold him still (while I freed his foot) when his instincts were all flight or fight. I got chomped several times. The ER wanted to call Animal Control and I told them absolutely no way, there was no risk of rabies, and he was an indoor cat only, so they didn't need to do anything they'd normally do if a cat of unknown history were responsible for the bite.