Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5649436 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24615 on: December 01, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
In defense of Nordstrom...while a customers watch may say 10 02, the computer that turns on the registers may not say the same time and the store opens by the stores time.  I loved the special snowflakes that would YANK on our doors before or after closing then shout "My watch says..."  Well, your watch can sing opera for all I care, the store clock has our open and close time, and we were set to the NWS NOAA time.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #24616 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
In defense of Nordstrom...while a customers watch may say 10 02, the computer that turns on the registers may not say the same time and the store opens by the stores time.  I loved the special snowflakes that would YANK on our doors before or after closing then shout "My watch says..."  Well, your watch can sing opera for all I care, the store clock has our open and close time, and we were set to the NWS NOAA time.

Stealing the bolded!

Vita brevis, ars longa

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24617 on: December 01, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
I have kids who all want exotic animals as pets.  Giraffes, bushbabies... either they think they *are* one, or they want one, quite desperately.  Unlike many of these special snowflakes, I'm sure they'll grow out of it by age 10 or so.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #24618 on: December 01, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
I have kids who all want exotic animals as pets.  Giraffes, bushbabies... either they think they *are* one, or they want one, quite desperately.  Unlike many of these special snowflakes, I'm sure they'll grow out of it by age 10 or so.

I still want the same pet I wanted as a kid, but my husband keeps whining 'no, Sweetheart, stop trying to put a trap door on the front porch, you can't have a shark tank in the basement.'

He's such a meanie.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #24619 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:58 AM »
My desire for an exotic pet lasts about a minute...until I Google it and read all the special instructions etc. I end up being terrified both for myself as well as for the imaginary animal that common sense has now explained I am not in any position to care for. So to all the adorable chinchillas, cool lizards, and cuddly-looking marmosets out there: don't worry - you're awesome, but I don't want you any more than you want me. :P

PS: IMHO any person who gets ANY pet and doesn't care for it (or doesn't think they have to) should be kenneled and strictly (re)trained until they can behave like decent human beings. >:(
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

kckgirl

« Reply #24620 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:12 AM »

We are never going to agree about this, so I will just say I would be happy if store clocks were set to the atomic clock. I use my cell phone which gets its time by sattelite, too. If I get there early for a reason, it's really annoying to still be standing outside after a store's posted opening time, especially when it's five or more minutes later, which happens. I don't make a scene, but I still don't appreciate it.
Maryland

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24621 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:49 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Live. She was letting people pet it. Next to the meat counter in the food market.

It was definitely a raccoon, not a skunk, although a skunk wouldn't have been any less weird - they aren't indigenous to the UK either, and I've never seen one, not even in a zoo, despite what the live action remake of 101 Dalmations would have you think.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #24622 on: December 02, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »

We are never going to agree about this, so I will just say I would be happy if store clocks were set to the atomic clock. I use my cell phone which gets its time by sattelite, too. If I get there early for a reason, it's really annoying to still be standing outside after a store's posted opening time, especially when it's five or more minutes later, which happens. I don't make a scene, but I still don't appreciate it.

As someone who was on the company end of opening five to ten minutes late during the holiday season in 2008 at Borders, it wasn't anything that could be helped.  Our problem was a combination of poor management - only me on cashier until 2 and one person dedicated to floor until the same time with two stockers* floating - and a truck being early by three hours on the Monday after Thanksgiving.  *facepalm*  That truck was usually unloaded with five of the stockers and a manager, so extra help was needed, plus it had all of my cash wrap items to do set up.  It took us an extra two minutes pass usual opening to get up there and I would have unlocked the door, save for three people pounding on the door.  Sorry, us two are going to wait until the sole manager there can get back up front and deal with the pounders.  Said pounders turned into yellers and 911 was called.  That was a fun morning.   ::) 

Our regulars (newspapers/magazines/coffee people) gave the pounders the side eye and calmly waited to the side until they could get by safely.  I think, if the pounders hadn't started, the regulars would have rung the front doorbell.  They knew where it was just in case we slipped up and started late, but our regulars were awesome.  They never minded waiting or ringing because it was the one time that we would ring up one of their things at half price due to wait.  Usually got them to buy a book or an extra magazine they wouldn't have normally because we'd take it off of the highest price item instead of lowest.  I swear they kept our numbers up during the non holiday times and my CS numbers too.

*I loved the stockers but good luck getting them to come up to register when help was needed, even during the holidays.  It's when all but one of them disappeared into the back until a manager ordered them to get their lazy bacon-fed knaves up there.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #24623 on: December 02, 2013, 05:18:04 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Live. She was letting people pet it. Next to the meat counter in the food market.

It was definitely a raccoon, not a skunk, although a skunk wouldn't have been any less weird - they aren't indigenous to the UK either, and I've never seen one, not even in a zoo, despite what the live action remake of 101 Dalmations would have you think.

I saw a skunk in a zoo in the UK.  There were some very confused American tourists wondering aloud why it was there and why I was looking at it, I don't think they knew it wasn't an indigenous animal so I can see why it might have seemed odd!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:55:59 AM by RingTailedLemur »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #24624 on: December 02, 2013, 05:34:01 AM »

Accidents and last minutes mishaps happen which can delay store/restaurant openings. You might be irritated but I guarantee you they aren't looking out the door at people waiting to get in and saying "well the ehell with them; we'll open five minutes late just to show them".

Just out of curiosity you haven't stayed at a hotel here in Tucson,  ordered a cab for the AM to the airport then called the front desk screaming that you're going to be late and where is it when it isn't here at 5:30 only it's only 5:25 have you? 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #24625 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:18 AM »
SS at Workitus.

Consultant X is retiring in 3 weeks time.  I have to say, I am relieved.  He has had me in (quiet and private) tears a few times recently with OTT demands and he has a rather demeaning way of speaking to people. 

Anyway. Coworker has organised a Christmas party at a local Chinese restaurant. I was instantly a fan, I love Chinese food, it's lovely! Consultant X however? His response (in front of coworker): "Well at least it's not at that ghastly place we went to last year with those horrible cocktails!" Same coworker organised last year's party too! Consultant X immediatey compounded his SS "The world owes me a living" attitude with "Although I must say, a Chinese restaurant isn't very Christmassy, is it?"

The real SS thing about this is he will complain about decisions other people make because he will not make a decision himself.....!!!  ::)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

kckgirl

« Reply #24626 on: December 02, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
Just out of curiosity you haven't stayed at a hotel here in Tucson,  ordered a cab for the AM to the airport then called the front desk screaming that you're going to be late and where is it when it isn't here at 5:30 only it's only 5:25 have you?

Sorry, I've never even been to Tucson, and I'm quite grateful that I've never had to rely on a taxi to pick me up for the airport after all the stories I've heard about them not showing up.
Maryland

dawbs

« Reply #24627 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »

From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #24628 on: December 02, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

My dad had a pet raccoon as a boy. Then it tried to drown his dog (whited because it might upset animal lovers). That raccoon didn't last long, considering how many guns Dad had.

Vita brevis, ars longa

BarensMom

« Reply #24629 on: December 02, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »

My dad had a pet raccoon as a boy. Then it tried to drown his dog (whited because it might upset animal lovers). That raccoon didn't last long, considering how many guns Dad had.

Please tell us the story!