Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5242686 times)

dawbs

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24630 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Live. She was letting people pet it. Next to the meat counter in the food market.

It was definitely a raccoon, not a skunk, although a skunk wouldn't have been any less weird - they aren't indigenous to the UK either, and I've never seen one, not even in a zoo, despite what the live action remake of 101 Dalmations would have you think.
From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #24631 on: December 02, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Live. She was letting people pet it. Next to the meat counter in the food market.

It was definitely a raccoon, not a skunk, although a skunk wouldn't have been any less weird - they aren't indigenous to the UK either, and I've never seen one, not even in a zoo, despite what the live action remake of 101 Dalmations would have you think.
From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

My dad had a pet raccoon as a boy. Then it tried to drown his dog (whited because it might upset animal lovers). That raccoon didn't last long, considering how many guns Dad had.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

BarensMom

« Reply #24632 on: December 02, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »

My dad had a pet raccoon as a boy. Then it tried to drown his dog (whited because it might upset animal lovers). That raccoon didn't last long, considering how many guns Dad had.

Please tell us the story! 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24633 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
We are never going to agree about this, so I will just say I would be happy if store clocks were set to the atomic clock. I use my cell phone which gets its time by sattelite, too. If I get there early for a reason, it's really annoying to still be standing outside after a store's posted opening time, especially when it's five or more minutes later, which happens. I don't make a scene, but I still don't appreciate it.

Accidents and last minutes mishaps happen which can delay store/restaurant openings. You might be irritated but I guarantee you they aren't looking out the door at people waiting to get in and saying "well the ehell with them; we'll open five minutes late just to show them".

Just out of curiosity you haven't stayed at a hotel here in Tucson,  ordered a cab for the AM to the airport then called the front desk screaming that you're going to be late and where is it when it isn't here at 5:30 only it's only 5:25 have you?
I agree with this. It's usually a glitch with getting employees ready or something else going on inside.

And it could even be a software glitch. Though our corporate telecom system and our servers are all set to atomic time, the server OS has a glitch that allows minute seconds loss over time. So to re sync, we have to down the servers and manually reset the time clock on the server every few months to correct the 1 or 2 minute time loss.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24634 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »

Please don't.  I don't think animal deaths are amusing.

BarensMom

« Reply #24635 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

Not about shooting the poor raccoon, just the part about how the raccoon was trying to drown the dog.  Unless the dog was a Chihuahua, how is that possible? 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24636 on: December 02, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »

I don't think it's amusing either, but it IS interesting.  The raccoon and dog part, I mean.  There are a lot of interesting things I don't find amusing but do read about.

Hillia

« Reply #24637 on: December 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
Going by Where the Red Fern Grows, (whited) the raccoon lures the dog into water too deep to stand in, then crawls onto the dog's head so it can't swim.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24638 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one?

It is possible that she has one for a "good" reason - if the mom was run over/killed and wildlife rehabers had to raise the babies, or if she was injured and then unable to be released in the wild then it is possible that she was kept as a pet. But taking it out to a shop is over the top. And my understanding is that even raised from bottle baby raccoons aren't really good as pets, although there could be exceptions and I could be wrong.

Fi

« Reply #24639 on: December 02, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
Raccoons are not indigenous to Europe though.

They appear to have become popular as an exotic pet but get abandoned when they're too big or not so cute and Spain, at any rate, has a feral population now. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/22/madrid-raccoon-parrot-plague

Rabies isn't a problem in the UK or Ireland but is an issue in Spain, at least where feral raccoons are concerned.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24640 on: December 02, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one?

It is possible that she has one for a "good" reason - if the mom was run over/killed and wildlife rehabers had to raise the babies, or if she was injured and then unable to be released in the wild then it is possible that she was kept as a pet. But taking it out to a shop is over the top. And my understanding is that even raised from bottle baby raccoons aren't really good as pets, although there could be exceptions and I could be wrong.

But there are no wild indigenous raccoons in England. We don't have them. I've never heard of them even as abandoned pets, I have to say, and a brief zip around the internet finds one or two sightings but very few. So it really isn't likely to be a wildlife rescue, it must have been a pet right across the board. If it's a zoo animal being hand raised - possible but unlikely, I'd have said - why would you take it into a city centre, effectively loose (it might have been collared, I couldn't see, but it wasn't in a carrying box) and then go shopping?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24641 on: December 02, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
Sir, you have been banned from our theater. You snuck all seven of your friends into movies TWICE, and then threatened to throw the popcorn maker at my co - worker (a completely ridiculous thing to threaten, since I'm pretty sure moving that would be listed under the Labors of Hercules, but a threat is a a threat). What on earth would POSSIBLY make you think that, when you showed up with your friends last night, that we WOULDN'T call security and spend the rest of the night doing a stakeout for your idiot, SS self? You might as well go home, because we aren't fooled that easily.

Madam, I appreciate that freshly popped popcorn is delicious. Believe me, I've had our popcorn enough times to know. However, the time to ask for a totally new batch to be popped just for you is not near 11 o'clock at night. We're trying to close down everything, and we have to bag up all the extra popcorn. Yes, we'll do it, because our GM told us to, but it won't make us feel any goodwill towards you. One medium bag is not going to even make a dent in the amount of corn we had to pop for you, and an almost cold machine takes 10 minutes to pop, so one person has to watch that for 10 minutes when they could have been doing something else, like cleaning out theaters, wiping down counters, or re - stocking.  >:(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24642 on: December 02, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
...    - why would you take it into a city centre, effectively loose (it might have been collared, I couldn't see, but it wasn't in a carrying box) and then go shopping?

Because the woman who had it was an attention 'horror'?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24643 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

But there are no wild indigenous raccoons in England. We don't have them. I've never heard of them even as abandoned pets, I have to say, and a brief zip around the internet finds one or two sightings but very few. So it really isn't likely to be a wildlife rescue, it must have been a pet right across the board. If it's a zoo animal being hand raised - possible but unlikely, I'd have said - why would you take it into a city centre, effectively loose (it might have been collared, I couldn't see, but it wasn't in a carrying box) and then go shopping?

Maybe she is an immigrant and brought the raccoon with her? I would take all my animals with me if I had to move to another country. But it is a stretch. And bringing it to a store makes me think they can't be a rehabber because I would hope they would be smart enough not to do that. Okay so I got nothing. ;-)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24644 on: December 02, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
I have kids who all want exotic animals as pets.  Giraffes, bushbabies... either they think they *are* one, or they want one, quite desperately.  Unlike many of these special snowflakes, I'm sure they'll grow out of it by age 10 or so.
Grandson #3 was just devastated a few years ago at Xmas when he didn't get the pet he wanted. He was going to LOVE it and teach it to be NICE.  He wouldn't LET it eat people!  

He wanted a godzilla.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~