Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5419477 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24645 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
We have a family joke that I would love to have a manatee in my bathtub. Just a joke. After all, I don't have a bathtub big enough.  ;D

SS: We have an employee that is a conspiracy theorist, hypochondriac and extremely nosy. All of these things would be fine, but she insists on sharing her every thought. Which she did today, at the staff meeting, in front of the big boss and a new consultant.  :o

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24646 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
The one horribly disgusting creepy thing raccoons do which has prevented me from ever looking at them in a positive light (whited out because it's gross and y'all can't un-read it - I'm warning you . . .)

When I got a tour of the Body Farm in Knoxville, a grad student was doing a research project on what wild animals do to human remains left outdoors.  Raccoons will actually go and make several shallow bites in the body, so they can come back the next day and lick out the resulting maggots.  Otherwise the maggots only congregate around soft tissue they can reach (mucus membranes, eyes, etc.) and they're harder to get to.

Raccoons creep me out now - they're EVIL.

cwm

« Reply #24647 on: December 02, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Yes, Slarti, that is disgusting, and they are evil.

That being said, I'd totally love to tour a place like that. I'm just that weird.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24648 on: December 02, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
We are never going to agree about this, so I will just say I would be happy if store clocks were set to the atomic clock. I use my cell phone which gets its time by sattelite, too. If I get there early for a reason, it's really annoying to still be standing outside after a store's posted opening time, especially when it's five or more minutes later, which happens. I don't make a scene, but I still don't appreciate it.

Accidents and last minutes mishaps happen which can delay store/restaurant openings. You might be irritated but I guarantee you they aren't looking out the door at people waiting to get in and saying "well the ehell with them; we'll open five minutes late just to show them".

Just out of curiosity you haven't stayed at a hotel here in Tucson,  ordered a cab for the AM to the airport then called the front desk screaming that you're going to be late and where is it when it isn't here at 5:30 only it's only 5:25 have you?
I agree with this. It's usually a glitch with getting employees ready or something else going on inside.

And it could even be a software glitch. Though our corporate telecom system and our servers are all set to atomic time, the server OS has a glitch that allows minute seconds loss over time. So to re sync, we have to down the servers and manually reset the time clock on the server every few months to correct the 1 or 2 minute time loss.

There was a supermarket in New Zealand that opened automatically on a public holiday when no staff were there. People went in, but only some were honest enough to use self-checkout.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #24649 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
The one horribly disgusting creepy thing raccoons do which has prevented me from ever looking at them in a positive light (whited out because it's gross and y'all can't un-read it - I'm warning you . . .)

When I got a tour of the Body Farm in Knoxville, a grad student was doing a research project on what wild animals do to human remains left outdoors.  Raccoons will actually go and make several shallow bites in the body, so they can come back the next day and lick out the resulting maggots.  Otherwise the maggots only congregate around soft tissue they can reach (mucus membranes, eyes, etc.) and they're harder to get to.

Where I'm different: I read that and thought in admiration, "Wow, raccoons are even smarter than I thought!"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Fi

« Reply #24650 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »

Where I'm different: I read that and thought in admiration, "Wow, raccoons are even smarter than I thought!"

Me too!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24651 on: December 02, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Maybe she is an immigrant and brought the raccoon with her? I would take all my animals with me if I had to move to another country. But it is a stretch. And bringing it to a store makes me think they can't be a rehabber because I would hope they would be smart enough not to do that. Okay so I got nothing. ;-)

Not into England, with its quarantine laws. In fact, considering that raccoons are common carriers for rabies in North America, I'm surprised it was able to be imported at all.

I saw a documentary about raccoons in Japan. Apparently a lot of people bought them due to a cutesy TV show, and then released them when they showed their true wild nature, creating a really destructive feral population.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Tosca

« Reply #24652 on: December 02, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
I have kids who all want exotic animals as pets.  Giraffes, bushbabies... either they think they *are* one, or they want one, quite desperately.  Unlike many of these special snowflakes, I'm sure they'll grow out of it by age 10 or so.
Grandson #3 was just devastated a few years ago at Xmas when he didn't get the pet he wanted. He was going to LOVE it and teach it to be NICE.  He wouldn't LET it eat people!  

He wanted a godzilla.

My mother-in-law got my son a 5 metre long saltwater crocodile one Christmas.  The zoo in my state has an adopt-an-animal programme.  We explained to him that the croc was too big to fit in our house so it had to stay in the zoo, but it was his pet crocodile.  He was as pleased as a dog with two tails.

Next visit to the zoo, we spent a lot of time with His Pet Crocodile, and all other visitors were loudly informed of his ownership.  So cute.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24653 on: December 02, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
I just hope he doesn't get too close...

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24654 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
Maybe she is an immigrant and brought the raccoon with her? I would take all my animals with me if I had to move to another country. But it is a stretch. And bringing it to a store makes me think they can't be a rehabber because I would hope they would be smart enough not to do that. Okay so I got nothing. ;-)

Not into England, with its quarantine laws. In fact, considering that raccoons are common carriers for rabies in North America, I'm surprised it was able to be imported at all.

I saw a documentary about raccoons in Japan. Apparently a lot of people bought them due to a cutesy TV show, and then released them when they showed their true wild nature, creating a really destructive feral population.

Why not into England, with its quarantine laws? If the raccoon makes it through quarantine then it should be able to enter - just like any other mammal that has a risk of carrying rabies. The law is very strict, but it doesn't forbid animals from coming over. Or at least I can't find anywhere where there is a list of animals that may never enter England - just ones that have to go through the quarantine process. And since rabies is transmitted from an infected animal once the raccoon is through quarantine it isn't any more of a rabies danger then any other animal out there.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #24655 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »

And my first thought was "Raccoon Apocalypse!!!" :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24656 on: December 02, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
Why am I seeing raccoons following the zombie horde?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #24657 on: December 02, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
A few years ago, I encountered a SS raccoon. It was sleeping in my deck box, and I found it when I opened the box to get out the birdseed for the birds and squirrels. Mr. SS Raccoon roused up but had no interest in leaving said box, so I rapped on the box with a stick.
Mr. SS Raccoon exited the box, and then started to waddle across the lawn. Then he turned around and came after me. I charged back into the house, but I have no doubt that he would have bitten me if he'd caught me.While it took him awhile to wake up, when he did, he was HISSED. He obviously reconsidered his drowsy plan of just leaving quietly, and decided to fight me for custody of the deck box.
SS Raccoon: he showed up where he wasn't wanted, ate everyone else's food, and then wouldn't leave when his hostess told him to go!  ::)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24658 on: December 02, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
A few years ago, I encountered a SS raccoon. It was sleeping in my deck box, and I found it when I opened the box to get out the birdseed for the birds and squirrels. Mr. SS Raccoon roused up but had no interest in leaving said box, so I rapped on the box with a stick.
Mr. SS Raccoon exited the box, and then started to waddle across the lawn. Then he turned around and came after me. I charged back into the house, but I have no doubt that he would have bitten me if he'd caught me.While it took him awhile to wake up, when he did, he was HISSED. He obviously reconsidered his drowsy plan of just leaving quietly, and decided to fight me for custody of the deck box.
SS Raccoon: he showed up where he wasn't wanted, ate everyone else's food, and then wouldn't leave when his hostess told him to go!  ::)

Technically you weren't the hostess. He was just a mooch ;)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #24659 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »
I wanted a pet tiger as a kid. Ok, a small part of me kind of still does. However that's the illogical part of my brain that I generally ignore. My logical brain knows it's a ridiculous pet and I'd have no clue how care for one and it might eat my dogs.

My step-father* had a 'pet tiger' for a while.  He was a publican at a pub in England.  One of his friends trained big cats for a circus, and had a young tigress who, while trained, was too young to perform, so he farmed her out to Bill for a couple of months.

The tigress used to nap behind the bar, and apparently she was very well behaved and no trouble at all.

One day a bunch of rowdy bikers came in, had a wee bit too much to drink and got troublesome.  Bill asked them to leave.  Bill was a scrawny little guy, probably weighed 100lb soaking wet, so you can imagine the response to that.  So he demanded they leave.  The response was 'Who's gonna make us?  You??!' 

'No, her!'  With that he called the tiger, who hopped up onto the bar and roared.

According to Bill, they were out of there so fast they almost left a few of their number behind!

*Bill was a delightful, charming gentleman who could tell a tale or 20 on just about any subject.  I suspect there have been certain 'stretchings of the truth' in some of his stories.  He was, without doubt, a 'rogue'.  This particular story I have no idea about, but I do know he was a publican at one stage.