Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5654627 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24660 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
The one horribly disgusting creepy thing raccoons do which has prevented me from ever looking at them in a positive light (whited out because it's gross and y'all can't un-read it - I'm warning you . . .)

When I got a tour of the Body Farm in Knoxville, a grad student was doing a research project on what wild animals do to human remains left outdoors.  Raccoons will actually go and make several shallow bites in the body, so they can come back the next day and lick out the resulting maggots.  Otherwise the maggots only congregate around soft tissue they can reach (mucus membranes, eyes, etc.) and they're harder to get to.

Raccoons creep me out now - they're EVIL.

Where I'm different: I read that and thought in admiration, "Wow, raccoons are even smarter than I thought!"

And my first thought was "Raccoon Apocalypse!!!" :P

My first thought was, they are ingenious, and then the heard of raccoons following the zombies.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #24661 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »

I wanted a pet tiger as a kid. Ok, a small part of me kind of still does. However that's the illogical part of my brain that I generally ignore. My logical brain knows it's a ridiculous pet and I'd have no clue how care for one and it might eat my dogs. I do have a tiger tattoo though. I call it my pet tiger.

I'd totally be buying him a huge stuffed Godzilla and explain that a live Godzilla was just far too big to fit in his house. But Godzilla sent this one especially for him to love and take very good care of. Or I'd get him a dog and name it Godzilla. Or Dogzilla.
You could have a toyger...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/photogalleries/cats-toygers/

On the pet raccoon issue, my Granny had a pet raccoon when my Mom was a kid. He was found as a baby and she had him fixed while still young so he never really developed anti-social tendencies.  He did ride the family coon dog like a horse.
And, to keep the post OT, he would sneak up behind ladies on the couch back and steal hairpins without their noticing...this was in the days of the beehive, so there were many pins to be had. He also stole jewelry.  All to be found in the box he made his nest in, though.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24662 on: December 02, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »
The salt water croc story gave me an idea for Brett. He and Cam have both presented their parents with plans to redo the back yard to hold pet tigers/lions. We joke they are going to grow up and have houses with rockwalls, ziplines, and wildlife park. (They already own a wildlife refuge  through our family.

Neighbors of my sister have a wiener dog that is untrained and escapes all the time. It has tried to bite sis's elderly dog in its own yard. 

Yesterday Loren and a friend were riding their bikes. Family let wiener dog out. He chased the girls on their bikes - and bit Loren. She had on long pants. She had a Technicolor bruise and 5 puncture marks. The dog had all its shots, paper work to back that up. The wound has been treated. Loren is on antibiotics. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Lauds

« Reply #24663 on: December 03, 2013, 04:04:54 AM »
There was a supermarket in New Zealand that opened automatically on a public holiday when no staff were there. People went in, but only some were honest enough to use self-checkout.

I remember that! In fact, if I'm remembering correctly it was rather local to me. I think it was probably Easter Sunday because I was working and it would have been one of the few days supermarkets close. So why would people try to go to the supermarket on a day they should know it will be closed?

Margo

« Reply #24664 on: December 03, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »
Bill's tiger reminded me of a story of my grandmother's. Her Aunt and Uncle found a half-grown tiger in their kitchen in London, once.

It was during the London Blitz, and presumably the tiger had escaped as a result of the bombing.

Apparently my great-great-aunt took the view that a tiger in the kitchen was no excuse for not making the morning tea as usual, (possibly, like many of the family, she was not a morning person, and hadn't woken up enough to really register it until she'd had her first cup of tea)
And after that, took the view that if it hadn't tried to bite her while she made the tea, it probably wasn't going to, and she was not going to let a little thing like a tiger in the kitchen stopping her from going around her normal routine.

I think they called London Zoo in the end to get the tiger removed, but they never did find where it had come from.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24665 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Maybe she is an immigrant and brought the raccoon with her? I would take all my animals with me if I had to move to another country. But it is a stretch. And bringing it to a store makes me think they can't be a rehabber because I would hope they would be smart enough not to do that. Okay so I got nothing. ;-)

Not into England, with its quarantine laws. In fact, considering that raccoons are common carriers for rabies in North America, I'm surprised it was able to be imported at all.

I saw a documentary about raccoons in Japan. Apparently a lot of people bought them due to a cutesy TV show, and then released them when they showed their true wild nature, creating a really destructive feral population.

There are several states within the US we can't move to with our pet snake. I imagine the regulations are much more restrictive for wild animals being kept as pets.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24666 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
We have a family joke that I would love to have a manatee in my bathtub. Just a joke. After all, I don't have a bathtub big enough.  ;D

SS: We have an employee that is a conspiracy theorist, hypochondriac and extremely nosy. All of these things would be fine, but she insists on sharing her every thought. Which she did today, at the staff meeting, in front of the big boss and a new consultant.  :o

If you got a manatee, I'd hope you owned lots of air freshener.  ;) Some manatees used to swim behind my college and you don't want to be nearby when one of them surfaces to pass gas.   :-X

Yes, the Romaine to methane conversion as DH calls it. I love them regardless.

MindsEye

« Reply #24667 on: December 03, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

You could have a toyger...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/photogalleries/cats-toygers/

That toyger looks a LOT like one of the color/pattern variations seen in bengal cats (the orange stripe pattern...)

bloo

« Reply #24668 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

Ah. This would explain why teenagers do. not. make. good. pets! ;D

I could easily envision a raccoon trying to drown a dog. They're adorable and mean and vicious and nasty when they feel threatened.

A large raccoon almost killed my SFIL's 100 lb. Husky/Shepherd mix when the dog decided to corner it. You do not want to get in the middle of a raccoon/dog fight. Fortunately the dog realized he met his match and was able to get away from the raccoon. But it was ugly and scary.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24669 on: December 03, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
Okay, before someone says we need to take the raccoon stories off this thread, I have to tell about the super special snowflake raccoons in my little part of the world.

To commence: nothing bothered them.  Nothing.  My family had a garden in which we grew corn for the local dairy farmers (all of them related to us somehow).  The raccoons would settle right down in the middle of the field and chow down no matter what Dad did.
He had the corn seed treated with something that wouldn't bother the cows but would put the crows and raccoons off.  Nope, they developed a taste for it.  He set out pie pans that would bang together whenever the wind blew, set out bright lights in the field, set the dog on them and left a radio going at all hours to frighten them away.  The raccoons dismantled the pans, apparently bought sunglasses, made friends with the dog and enjoyed the oldies playing on the local channel.  I had visions of them under the lights trying to get a tan. 

When eating the corn got old, of course they went after the garbage.  My parents made sure they bought the metal  garbage cans that had some sort clipping device that was supposed to keep the lid on no  matter what.  These cans were pretty heavy to start and since we were stuffing in a week's worth of garbage, they were heavier still.  It was all my brother and I could do to lug them to the street on trash night.

Not only were the raccoons able to tip the cans over, but once they were over, they fiddled with the locking device until they opened it and spread the trash around. 

One tried to attack my car in broad daylight.  I was on a tiny country lane and this critter came charging out of the brush growling at the car.  I was afraid for my tires.

But nothing beat the Mama and Babies who lived next door when I first moved to the Big City.  They lived in the roof of the neighbor's house (yeah, he was kind of like living next to Ellie Mae and the rest of the Clampetts).  Mama would leave the house every night and come over to our yard, push the lids off the garbage and sort through it.  I sat on the porch one night and watched her...all she needed was a little stringed shopping bag over her arm as she picked items out and examined them, then tossed them to one side and selected something new.  And she and I looked at each other and I nodded to her as if we were shoppers in the supermarket choosing crisp apples.....funniest little critter.

I don't want one for a pet, not ever, but I have respect for the little monsters and can't help admiring them.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24670 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »
So I did look it up and apparently England has a problem with raccoons ever since they decided that you don't need a license to have one as a pet anymore (that happened in 2007). So the raccoon was probably a pet.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #24671 on: December 03, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
From the now-defunct Learn From My Fail website:

When bringing your raccoon-proof trash cans inside, make sure there isn't already a raccoon inside before removing the lid. Raccoons can jump surprisingly high.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24672 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
So I did look it up and apparently England has a problem with raccoons ever since they decided that you don't need a license to have one as a pet anymore (that happened in 2007). So the raccoon was probably a pet.

OK, pet. I'll buy that it's a pet and it's simply that I've never come across anybody who owned one before. I did say at the beginning that it wasn't my business why she had it. But she had no business having it in the fresh meat section of the market. Keep your pets away from my food, lady.

(There was no evidence that it was a seeing-eye raccoon, a hearing-aid raccoon, or... OK, sorry, it's been a bad day, the garage people belong on the 'never shopping there again' thread, I have the mother of all headaches, and I'm losing my grip.)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24673 on: December 03, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
So there's this coffee shop within walking distance of our house. This morning we decided to walk the doggies up to the coffee shop and treat ourselves. Now obviously, doggies aren't allowed inside (in less they're service animals and ours are not), so Partner goes in to get our coffees and pastry and I wait outside with the dogs. Well a SS comes along and wants to know why I'm just standing outside with my dogs. I tell her Partner is inside getting our stuff since dogs can't go in. She's carrying a little dog with her (tiny thing) and tells me "Well, my dog goes where I go and they'll just have to deal with it" and in she walks. I loath these people. There have been many times I've had to pop into a store but have the dogs with me, I don't like leaving them tied up outside or in the car for too long (never in the summer, but our winters are very nice), so I usually take them back home. But then in the store I get to see the "My dog doesn't count because I'm carrying him/her" no, your dog counts, it's not a service animal. If I can't take in my dogs, who are small but don't fit in my purse, you can't take in your purse dog.

Anyways SS walks in with dog in hand and goes to the counter, I can see inside the window. I can't hear what's said but she comes out screaming they just lost a customer and she's telling all her friends! And I hear the owner hollar "Good! Keep your friends and their dogs out of my cafe!", which made me laugh. According to Partner the girl on the register saw the dog and said "Oh, what a cute dog, but I'm sorry we can't allow animals in here, in less it's a service animal", the owner jumped in and said "Let me get your order really quickly and I'll bring it outside to you, but she's right we really can't have animals in here", which I think is great customer service. Well SS lost it. She started screaming "My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go" at which point the owner says "Good, dog goes outside, you go outside!", and the SS responded in a calm rational manner and apologized for her behavior. Just kidding, she called the owner several terrible words, including calling him Hitler (right, mass genocide is the same as not letting a dog into a cafe), telling him he was an "animal hater" and then the parting shot of "I'll tell everyone I know, know about you".

Now here's the real kicker, he loves animals. Has 5 dogs of his own, bakes dog treats to hand out to customers with dogs and if you sit out on the little patio with your dog will bring out a dish of water for the dog. But he will not allow dogs in his cafe because they serve food and it's a hygiene issue. He'll ask you to step outside and he'll bring your order out to you. If you start throwing a fit, he tosses you out.

We love this place.

nuit93

« Reply #24674 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
So there's this coffee shop within walking distance of our house. This morning we decided to walk the doggies up to the coffee shop and treat ourselves. Now obviously, doggies aren't allowed inside (in less they're service animals and ours are not), so Partner goes in to get our coffees and pastry and I wait outside with the dogs. Well a SS comes along and wants to know why I'm just standing outside with my dogs. I tell her Partner is inside getting our stuff since dogs can't go in. She's carrying a little dog with her (tiny thing) and tells me "Well, my dog goes where I go and they'll just have to deal with it" and in she walks. I loath these people. There have been many times I've had to pop into a store but have the dogs with me, I don't like leaving them tied up outside or in the car for too long (never in the summer, but our winters are very nice), so I usually take them back home. But then in the store I get to see the "My dog doesn't count because I'm carrying him/her" no, your dog counts, it's not a service animal. If I can't take in my dogs, who are small but don't fit in my purse, you can't take in your purse dog.

Anyways SS walks in with dog in hand and goes to the counter, I can see inside the window. I can't hear what's said but she comes out screaming they just lost a customer and she's telling all her friends! And I hear the owner hollar "Good! Keep your friends and their dogs out of my cafe!", which made me laugh. According to Partner the girl on the register saw the dog and said "Oh, what a cute dog, but I'm sorry we can't allow animals in here, in less it's a service animal", the owner jumped in and said "Let me get your order really quickly and I'll bring it outside to you, but she's right we really can't have animals in here", which I think is great customer service. Well SS lost it. She started screaming "My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go" at which point the owner says "Good, dog goes outside, you go outside!", and the SS responded in a calm rational manner and apologized for her behavior. Just kidding, she called the owner several terrible words, including calling him Hitler (right, mass genocide is the same as not letting a dog into a cafe), telling him he was an "animal hater" and then the parting shot of "I'll tell everyone I know, know about you".

Now here's the real kicker, he loves animals. Has 5 dogs of his own, bakes dog treats to hand out to customers with dogs and if you sit out on the little patio with your dog will bring out a dish of water for the dog. But he will not allow dogs in his cafe because they serve food and it's a hygiene issue. He'll ask you to step outside and he'll bring your order out to you. If you start throwing a fit, he tosses you out.

We love this place.

If I recall my history correctly, Hitler loved animals   :-\