Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5515671 times)

Amara

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24675 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
If I recall my history correctly, Hitler loved animals   :-\

I believe he loved dogs and feared cats. 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #24676 on: December 03, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »

Dog? Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a raccoon. Raccoons are not indigenous to England and I've never seen one other than in a zoo. Why did she have one? Not my business. But why did she have one, uncrated, in a food market? As you say, when did that become OK?
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a puppet? My sister has one (she was a grade school teacher) that was extremely lifelike. If not...I don't get it. Considering the rabies quarantine for dogs and cats, I can't imagine how you'd get a raccoon into Britain.

Live. She was letting people pet it. Next to the meat counter in the food market.

It was definitely a raccoon, not a skunk, although a skunk wouldn't have been any less weird - they aren't indigenous to the UK either, and I've never seen one, not even in a zoo, despite what the live action remake of 101 Dalmations would have you think.
From experience (watching other people in my family; I've never tried this myself!), Racoons do. not. make. good. pets.
After they reach sexual maturity they almost all inevitably become absolutely impossible to deal with.
(That and in a lot of the US, it's illegal to have them as pets.  And if the inspector finds out you keep the pet racoons in your barn, your milk looses it's grade A rating--which would be why there are no longer pet racoons in my extended family)

My dad had a pet raccoon as a boy. Then it tried to drown his dog (whited because it might upset animal lovers). That raccoon didn't last long, considering how many guns Dad had.

Please tell us the story!

I'm sending a PM to Baren'sMom, since she asked for the story. If anyone else wants it, they can PM me. I don't want to freak anyone out unless they asked for it.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #24677 on: December 03, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
Raccoons are mean.   MEAN.   And vicious.  Yes, they are the cutest things ever invented, especially little fat raccoon babies, but they are mean!!!!   My dogs are medium size, 40 lbs dogs, and I'm sure a raccoon could take them if it wanted to.

My computer skills are miserable -- would wish to do much more quoting-and-linking, than I have the knowledge and ability to do. Anyway -- one tends to regret that raccoons are both sweet and lovable, and vicious and nasty. Raccoons being bothersome in the UK -- my country -- as mentioned in PPs, is a new thing on me; but increasingly, "nothing surprises".

Fi in post #24649, mentions a raccoon problem in Spain. That also, is new to me; but have been aware for some time, that Germany has considerable raccoon troubles. (I'd do links, if I had that skill on this site; as things are, would just say, Google "raccoons -- Germany", and plenty will show up on the subject.)

Hoping for not being jumped-on for "Godwining" this thread -- Adolf has already been mentioned -- and stuff being discussed here, is reckonably about the less-nasty aspects of those people... I understand that Hermann Goering, who was both a keen hunter and a keen conservationist / nature buff, was instrumental in the mid / late 1930s, in bringing into Germany and having some releasing-into-the-wild done, of raccoons: he considered that they would be a good game-type animal for hunting, and also a cool additional species for central Europe's wildlife.  The introduced raccoons did well; plus, many were in captivity in conservation centres / reserves, pending future release as and when appropriate -- World War II chaos of various kinds, resulted in numerous captive raccoons getting out and joining their counterparts already there in the wild.  It is gathered that at the present time, Germany has a population of well over a million wild raccoons, concentrated in the central parts of the country, and making a considerable nuisance of themselves in various ways.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24678 on: December 03, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
In light of the information in this thread, you'd better believe that the next time the SyFy channel takes submissions for their next TV movie, I'll be making sure that flesh-eating Nazi raccoons are on the list.

Virg

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #24679 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
It could be bigger than Sharknado, depending on the casting.   >:D

nayberry

« Reply #24680 on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
It could be bigger than Sharknado, depending on the casting.   >:D

only way to be bigger than sharknado is to get someone really bad at acting in it :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24681 on: December 03, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
"My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go"

My go to for this is always going to be "and the family resemblance is outstanding."

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24682 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
"My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go"

My go to for this is always going to be "and the family resemblance is outstanding."

I do tell people I treat my dogs as my children, and I see them as my kids. In that, I take care of them, I research their food, I worry about their emotions, and I love them (and spoil them, oh they have it good). However, I'm not insane enough to actually think they should be treated as humans. They eat out of bowls on the floor. I don't think I'll have my future child do this. Well maybe. But just the toddler years.  ;)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24683 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »

I do tell people I treat my dogs as my children, and I see them as my kids. In that, I take care of them, I research their food, I worry about their emotions, and I love them (and spoil them, oh they have it good). However, I'm not insane enough to actually think they should be treated as humans. They eat out of bowls on the floor. I don't think I'll have my future child do this. Well maybe. But just the toddler years.  ;)

Heck, MY kids eat their food out of bowls on the floor half the time - it's not really worth trying to get an 18-month-old to sit politely in a chair for something like Cheerios  ;D

GreenHall

« Reply #24684 on: December 03, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »

A family friend's third-born considered kibble a fine snack.  (Apparently the further you get from first born, the more likely things like this are to be allowed by the parents.) 

cwm

« Reply #24685 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »

Heck, MY kids eat their food out of bowls on the floor half the time - it's not really worth trying to get an 18-month-old to sit politely in a chair for something like Cheerios  ;D

My niece is almost 2, and who needs a bowl for Cheerios on the floor? They're just going to be spilled anyway. We'll give her a granola bar and Sis will find pieces spread throughout the apartment. Same thing with Kix, animal crackers, graham crackers, and veggie stix. There's no hope for them.

mmswm

« Reply #24686 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
So there's this coffee shop within walking distance of our house. This morning we decided to walk the doggies up to the coffee shop and treat ourselves. Now obviously, doggies aren't allowed inside (in less they're service animals and ours are not), so Partner goes in to get our coffees and pastry and I wait outside with the dogs. Well a SS comes along and wants to know why I'm just standing outside with my dogs. I tell her Partner is inside getting our stuff since dogs can't go in. She's carrying a little dog with her (tiny thing) and tells me "Well, my dog goes where I go and they'll just have to deal with it" and in she walks. I loath these people. There have been many times I've had to pop into a store but have the dogs with me, I don't like leaving them tied up outside or in the car for too long (never in the summer, but our winters are very nice), so I usually take them back home. But then in the store I get to see the "My dog doesn't count because I'm carrying him/her" no, your dog counts, it's not a service animal. If I can't take in my dogs, who are small but don't fit in my purse, you can't take in your purse dog.

Anyways SS walks in with dog in hand and goes to the counter, I can see inside the window. I can't hear what's said but she comes out screaming they just lost a customer and she's telling all her friends! And I hear the owner hollar "Good! Keep your friends and their dogs out of my cafe!", which made me laugh. According to Partner the girl on the register saw the dog and said "Oh, what a cute dog, but I'm sorry we can't allow animals in here, in less it's a service animal", the owner jumped in and said "Let me get your order really quickly and I'll bring it outside to you, but she's right we really can't have animals in here", which I think is great customer service. Well SS lost it. She started screaming "My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go" at which point the owner says "Good, dog goes outside, you go outside!", and the SS responded in a calm rational manner and apologized for her behavior. Just kidding, she called the owner several terrible words, including calling him Hitler (right, mass genocide is the same as not letting a dog into a cafe), telling him he was an "animal hater" and then the parting shot of "I'll tell everyone I know, know about you".

Now here's the real kicker, he loves animals. Has 5 dogs of his own, bakes dog treats to hand out to customers with dogs and if you sit out on the little patio with your dog will bring out a dish of water for the dog. But he will not allow dogs in his cafe because they serve food and it's a hygiene issue. He'll ask you to step outside and he'll bring your order out to you. If you start throwing a fit, he tosses you out.

We love this place.

I could possibly be considered an SS for something similar, but not quite.  There's a gas station a few blocks from my house.  I like to walk to the convenience store from time to time, and my large dog likes to come with me.  Actually, the dog goes and visits the store on his own from time to time as part of his morning rounds. He hangs out at the loading docks at the plant nursery to "keep an eye on things", then wanders to the gas station to get his treats that the owner always gives him, then makes his rounds through the nursery itself and then comes home.  Now, before anybody fusses at me for a free roaming dog, he never has to go out on any roads to do this.  My house is completely surrounded by the nursery, and the nursery property boarders the gas station property. Both the nursery owner and the gas station owner are fond of the dog because he's big and intimidating and he makes his rounds at times when the potential for bad stuff to happen is high (still dark, but high traffic).  Over at the nursery, he gets snarly if the truckers dare to mistreat the women who work the docks and at the gas station he just watches the customers to make sure nobody tries to hurt the employees (who are mostly women).  Okay, so my dog is a little protective of women.  This is not a bad thing.

Anyway, when I walk up there, he's leashed.  When I initially began bringing him along, I'd do my business through the night window, since I didn't want to bring the dog in the store.  After some time, the manager told me it was okay to bring him inside, since he's well loved by all the staff and very well behaved.  I'm not allowed to take him over to the cafe area, but I can go in and grab my soda and smokes, both of which only require me to walk the three feet from the door to the cashier.  Of course I wouldn't dream of bringing him inside if I didn't have express permission, but somebody who didn't know the back story would have no idea about that and could possibly think I was SS.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #24687 on: December 03, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

My niece is almost 2, and who needs a bowl for Cheerios on the floor? They're just going to be spilled anyway. We'll give her a granola bar and Sis will find pieces spread throughout the apartment. Same thing with Kix, animal crackers, graham crackers, and veggie stix. There's no hope for them.

Same for my dog - she has a perfectly good bowl but her food is spread out to every corner/hiding spot in the apartment.   I always have to use the vacuum hose when I clean to get under/behind her hiding spots and suck up hard bits of food she is "saving"

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24688 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
Ran into the local big box hardware store last night, a man was standing in an aisle looking at something, with a small dog in his arms. I thought of this thread. It's not the first time that I've seen dogs there either.

wheeitsme

« Reply #24689 on: December 03, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
Ran into the local big box hardware store last night, a man was standing in an aisle looking at something, with a small dog in his arms. I thought of this thread. It's not the first time that I've seen dogs there either.

The big box hardware store near us welcomes well behaved dogs on leash.  The workers even keep treats in their aprons.  :D