Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5229654 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24720 on: December 04, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Very few movies are worth me going immediately to see them.  I usually wait a few days then go.  Otherwise, its easier to buy on demand with cable, sit at home with my own food and drink, when I want etc to watch a newer release.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24721 on: December 04, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
I'm mostly the same way but if there's a movie out with Johnny Depp, that gets seen first chance I get! :) Preferably opening weekend. 

Other movies I can generally wait till they come out to DVD.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24722 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
Movie SS.

My husband convinced me that seeing the new Thor movie on opening weekend was a thing to do.  This visit just convinced me that movies aren't worth it anymore. 

Let your husband know, that after a few weeks, nothing about the movie changes. Same actors, same story lines, same everything. Except less people because apparently many people do not know about this little secret.

I saw Thor Thanksgiving Weekend and the theater was practically empty. Pretty sure it was still the same movie.

My husband and I both want to see Frozen, and I really wanted to see Thor. So when we went to the movies on Thanksgiving weekend, I worked really hard to convince him that we should go see Thor.

Smart man that he is, he agreed with me, and we both patted ourselves on the back for our deductive reasoning skills when we saw the gaggle of small children clearly there to see Frozen. The theater for Thor was still relatively full, but not jam-packed (and we were there early enough to get seats we were happy with).

I like watching movies like Frozen with kids in the audience, and I don't mind their audible reactions, but not on opening weekend! We'll go this weekend or the weekend after instead, and it will be much nicer. :)

greencat

« Reply #24723 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
We've had an interesting little flurry of snowflakes calling my work lately:

One rather horrid woman who called us multiple times in an hour because she believed that the particular permutation of numbers in her son's student ID number had cursed him to fail all his classes.  She wanted it changed and wouldn't take no for an answer.  No was the only answer she got, because we don't change those identifying numbers.  She has, apparently, been calling us about this for weeks - this time she just called three times in ten minutes.

The misguided flower who had stumbled on our chat support.  She needed information from the another department.  However, she kept opening new chats and asking variations on the same, horribly misspelled and grammatically challenged, queries - despite repeated instructions on how to contact the correct department and that the chat help does not ever reach that department.

The many special snowflakes who are suddenly desperate to fill out the optional and anonymous evaluation forms that were available to them for two weeks and just closed yesterday.  Especially the girl who kept repeating to me, today, December 4th, that she only got the message about the evaluations...two weeks ago.

redcat

« Reply #24724 on: December 05, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
HorseFreak - she sounds like the moms at my som's school during morning car pool. Giant "no left turn" signs and there they sit blocking traffic to make illegal, unsafe turns or driving the wrong way down the road

I always have just the slightest bit of sympathy for some of these people, because I find those "No Left Turn" signs don't tell you how to get on that road in another way.  If you don't know the road layout in that area it can be really difficult to get where you want to be if you are only being told what not to do without also being told what to do instead.  There used to be a "No Right Turn" junction near where I lived.  But there was also a large sign showing how to get onto that road another way, at the junction just before the "No Right Turn" junction, which was "No Right Turn at Next Junction, Turn left, turn right, turn right, go straight on"!

GreenHall

« Reply #24725 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
We've had an interesting little flurry of snowflakes calling my work lately:

*snip*

The many special snowflakes who are suddenly desperate to fill out the optional and anonymous evaluation forms that were available to them for two weeks and just closed yesterday.  Especially the girl who kept repeating to me, today, December 4th, that she only got the message about the evaluations...two weeks ago.

Let me guess - the message, received two weeks ago, plainly stated the last day possible to do this, but she is still asking after?

cwm

« Reply #24726 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
One of my co-workers (S) has a person she's working on a file for. She's been working in this line of work for about 3 decades now. She knows what she's doing. She's one of the best people I know here. She's twisting the numbers and making it as easy as possible for him, but he HAS to do a certain program. That is, with his situation, the only way to get things to work.

Our company works with several other companies to do this type of work. He's a member of two of our client companies. So he called in through the one she's not helping him with, trying to get a better deal. Except that company has worse deals than the one he was going with, and the salesperson who talked to him noticed that the client already had a file with us with S as the salesperson! He came and told S about the conversation, and sure enough within two minutes, the person is trying to call S and have her try things this way, or do it that way, or what about if we do this, or how about this way? Well, no. It breaks several federal laws, or he'll owe more money, or he'll have to pay for other things he doesn't want, or various other problems with the file.

He won't give up. S has explained things to him, including why we set up the file exactly like we did (price is higher, but includes a lot of money off of it as a gift, so he doesn't have to pay for a product he doesn't want and gets the right amount of money in the end), why he can't do any other way, and has basically told him that he needs to trust her 30 years of expertise. And oh by the way, the guidelines on everything are going to change at the start of the new year, and if he wants to get this deal before everything changes, we need his paperwork back.

We haven't seen any paperwork back. S keeps getting calls and emails from him. The record was 10 a day, on a Friday when her phone message and email said she was out of the office and wouldn't be returning until the next week. He was then mad and yelled at her (I could hear it from my desk, she sits across the aisle from me) because she didn't get back to him immediately, and he was ready to move forward, he just wanted her to try out a few more things on his file first.

Jocelyn

« Reply #24727 on: December 05, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
Student SS:
Student called our department admin and informed her that she HAD to save a place in the class for her, because the there was only one place left and student did not enroll for 4 more days.
Uh..that's the whole point of having staggered enrollment- so the upperclassmen get a chance at the classes they need to graduate!
Fortunately our admin has a very sturdy spine, and is not afraid to tell students that they are asking for something that they're not going to get.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24728 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
I had a trifecta of iowntheroadSS's today.

First one; not even out of my complex. I was turning left from the "parking lot/alley" onto the main road in my complex. another car, coming down the road, turning left where I was but he cut it short, and tried to turn where I was. I get they are not true "roads" but the rules still apply; stay to the right, and its two way.

Second one: little you know what in a loud, little souped up car. tailgating me down the main road (traffic moves slow, so no one really can go fast). Finally gets over in the lane next to me, but I had to laugh since 2 lights up, who do I see next to me again, yup, little car.

Third one: i had to pop into the supermarket on my way in. I turned off the road, and it goes in, and around to the parking lot. Other side is for exiting. Someone coming to leave was again driving on the WRONG side.  Seriously?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24729 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
This morning on the way to work SS Iowntheroadus.  I live on a one way street.  It's one way from the beginning of the street until the end of it.  All of the cross streets have very large DO NOT ENTER signs on them.  Just as I pull off to go down the street, SS turns onto my street going the wrong way.  I refuse to move, as I'm going the correct direction.  SS honks their horn at me.  I put my car in park and sit there looking at them.  After about 5 min SS does a 10 point u-turn and drives back the correct way down the street and pulls over.  I put my car in drive again and as I go past them, I see a lovely lady glaring at me.  She then blasts her horn at me until I turn off. 

I hope to diety she's not a new neighbor

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24730 on: December 06, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
A group of special snowflake students (I suppose) who were gaming in the study lounge during finals week. Gaming using dice, having very loud conversations discussing what just happened during that move and then recording the move in spreadsheets on their laptops. This is a fairly small room, completely enclosed. Sound echos terribly, they were sitting right next to each other and yelling. We asked them not to yell, got glared at and then they continued yelling.

There were two, then three of them. We had four people reviewing as a study group for our final exam next week. We ended up moving because we could not hear each other over the dice slamming on the table and the yelling.

SS kitten. My lovely Abyssinian, Mocha, must be part raccoon. When I left for a meeting, I checked the water dish and food dish. When I came back three hours later, the suede and crinkly cat mat was wadded up in the water dish. It is completely saturated.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #24731 on: December 06, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
Babbage, who I mentioned in another thread is an abby.  He lives to get under small rugs and then run across the floor with them, rather like superman.  He also likes to do the same thing with visitors coats if they leave them on the backs of chairs.  He once managed to get a pair of husbands underpants around his face and rushed out to show us how clever he was.  Visiting elderly aunt ignored the display so he jumped on her lap in case she was short sighted. 

He has a toy box, and if left alone for more than half an hour, we make sure that a selection of toys are left out in the hope he will amuse himself with them.  Has she managed to empty your waste paper basket, or ironing basket yet?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24732 on: December 06, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
This article claims you should gift new parents with amusement park memberships, play waiter for an evening or research mom 'n' baby events for them.  ???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karyn-thurston/7-relational-gifts-to-give-parents-of-young-children_b_4392843.html?ref=topbar

MissRose

« Reply #24733 on: December 06, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
This article claims you should gift new parents with amusement park memberships, play waiter for an evening or research mom 'n' baby events for them.  ???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karyn-thurston/7-relational-gifts-to-give-parents-of-young-children_b_4392843.html?ref=topbar

Rolls eyes at some of the suggestions....

Can I have someone gift me with a trip to Disney World ... alone....  >:D (and I have no kids )....

Pen^2

« Reply #24734 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »

They almost got it right. What you should do is gift new parents with amusement park memberships and babysitter coupons.

Step 1: Hire a babysitter for 12 hours.
Step 2: Go to the amusement park for 12 hours.
Step 3: Thank whoever got you the gift because it was fantastic.