Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5646331 times)

Jules1980

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24735 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
"My dog is my child! If it were a baby you wouldn't make me go outside!! My dog goes where I go"

My go to for this is always going to be "and the family resemblance is outstanding."

MY response would be, "No, I wouldn't but if it were a baby, you wouldn't make it gooutside either."

BB-VA

« Reply #24736 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
Yarnspinner, tell her it's her lucky day - the realtor put up pictures online!  http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

I’m a little behind, but this made me laugh so much. I work in mortgage and just happened to come across a document today that specified, “A full kitchen consists of an area that is separate from the bath area and includes…” to which I wondered Who the heck does that? I’ve been doing this for 10 years and I’ve seen some weird stuff, but never have I ever seen a kitchen/bathroom combo. Well. Now I have.

Actually, it is a very old design.  Ancient Roman homes often had the WC next to the bathroom,  It made disposal of kitchen refuse much easier.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24737 on: December 06, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
That's if they had one at all. Your average ancient Roman might use the public loos.

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
« Reply #24738 on: December 07, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Ah yes, "I before E except after C.  Or when you're running a feisty heist with your weird beige foreign neighbours called Keith and Sheila".

Never thought about the fact that the rule can apply to names also. I love learning new things or new ways of thinking about things.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24739 on: December 08, 2013, 12:44:04 AM »
This bride-to-be ended a column about wedding prices by taking a swipe at other brides. The last sentence is such a gem  ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/magazine/the-wedding-fix-is-in.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:46:32 AM by TeamBhakta »

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24740 on: December 08, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
This bride-to-be ended a column about wedding prices by taking a swipe at other brides. The last sentence is such a gem  ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/magazine/the-wedding-fix-is-in.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

I thought that was an excellent article about economics.   

She's right - bridezillas who are willing to pay anything for their perfect day does mean that there is a perception that vendors can charge a premium for weddings, even when supplying the same services.  I've also read elsewhere that some vendors justify the extra pricing simply because of the hassle of dealing with bridezillas!

I don't see anything special snowflakey about that article at all.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Ereine

« Reply #24741 on: December 08, 2013, 02:15:12 AM »
But does wanting to have blue napkins make someone a bridezilla? It might make them victims of consumerism or really detail-oriented but if that's bridezilla then anyone who cares about any detail of their wedding would be one.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #24742 on: December 08, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »
I had some extremely specific desires and requirements for my wedding. I guess in her eyes, that makes me a bridezilla even though I didn't throw any tantrums about it... and holding out for what I really wanted instead of accepting something that was mostly OK actually saved me quite a lot of money in the end. ;)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24743 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »
But does wanting to have blue napkins make someone a bridezilla? It might make them victims of consumerism or really detail-oriented but if that's bridezilla then anyone who cares about any detail of their wedding would be one.

I didn't think she was suggesting that having a colour preference - or in fact any preferences about your wedding day - made a person a bridezilla, it was just another example of how the costing works and that being less flexible / more customised means more money.    It's not bridezilla to want a specific napkin type.  It would be bridezilla to have a 100% definite view on how each and every specific detail of the wedding should be AND be willing to bankrupt yourself/fiancé/parents or throw a gigantic tantrum to create the exact vision you had pictured.   I think her point was that for *most* other events there would be more compromise, but the whole "it's myyyy daaaay" mentality means that they can charge more, because they convince people that because it's your wedding you should spend double to get the perfect shade of blue instead of just everyday blue.   Even though most of us don't feel that way at all - we have ideas about how our wedding should be, but we end up compromising on *some* details.   I say this as somebody who had many very specific views on my wedding, and sadly had to compromise on some details - although it was still an amazing church wedding, formal sit down dinner for 180 guests, and a very Cinderella gown that I flew internationally to purchase!  It was big budget and great. So I'm certainly not one of those people who enjoys mocking big weddings. I had one, loved it, and don't regret a cent we spent  :)   But I wasn't a bridezilla, I accepted that there were some tiny things that I had to compromise on to keep the budget under control.  (And free up more money for the things that were *really* important to me - and which cost more than they should because wedding costs are inflated.  >:(   I shopped around but it is true that some things cost more just because they're for a wedding!)

I can see how that connection could be made from what she wrote (between napkin choice and bridezillas), I just interpreted it very differently.     I honestly had to come back and double check the link after I read the article as I thought I must have read the wrong article!

Ereine

« Reply #24744 on: December 08, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »
She says nothing about people who aren't willing to compromise, she just says that people who want something specific (and mentions just blue napkins, not even that they have to be a special shade) are bridezillas (as in people "who want their weddings to be the special day they always dreamed of") who are driving up the prices. Maybe your interpretation is what she means but I don't get that idea at all. Which is probably true, if you've always wanted your princess wedding then you're probably less likely to haggle or care about the price.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24745 on: December 08, 2013, 07:53:43 AM »
She says nothing about people who aren't willing to compromise, she just says that people who want something specific (and mentions just blue napkins, not even that they have to be a special shade) are bridezillas (as in people "who want their weddings to be the special day they always dreamed of") who are driving up the prices. Maybe your interpretation is what she means but I don't get that idea at all. Which is probably true, if you've always wanted your princess wedding then you're probably less likely to haggle or care about the price.

The bolded is what I thought the whole point of the article was.     Not necessarily a criticism of those of us who want a particular princess wedding (like I said, I had one!) just that this means vendors can justify a higher price.    Perhaps taking a dig at bridezillas at the end there undermined her point.    :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24746 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »
I think the wedding industry itself is responsible for bridezillas, particularly when they rely so much on the emotional, wish-fulfilment side of having a perfect day. This is why some places are slow to tell you full prices, or even prices at all. It's also seen completely normal to fork out $1000+ on a wedding dress that you will only wear once. My entire outfit was less than that.

BB-VA

« Reply #24747 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
I am a big fan of Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta and SYTTD: Bridesmaids.  It is an education in human nature sometimes to watch these people interact (although I still hope to see a bridesmaid get fired).

I am not knocking people who want expensive dresses or big weddings, but after watching these two programs, I am very glad that I paid for my own wedding dress and I went alone to pick it out.
LOTS less stress, for sure!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24748 on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
Last night, my family attended a Christmas program with a full orchestra, mass choir and a guest celebrity narrator. In order to attend, you had to have passes to the place where it was held and either pay extra for priority seating or wait in a 30 minute line for seats.

SS#1: Woman in front of me who either checked USA Today for updates on her phone while holding it up, so that was the only thing I could see the way the theatre seating is, tried (didn't seem to know how to and had to ask her husband or son for help) to take pictures constantly or sang off key the entire show.

SS Group: A group of teenagers that were roughhousing in the line, and knocked an elderly lady down, then did not apologize or help her up. Once they were seated behind us, they talked loudly the entire time.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24749 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »

I thought that was an excellent article about economics.   

She's right - bridezillas who are willing to pay anything for their perfect day does mean that there is a perception that vendors can charge a premium for weddings, even when supplying the same services.  I've also read elsewhere that some vendors justify the extra pricing simply because of the hassle of dealing with bridezillas!

I don't see anything special snowflakey about that article at all.

I don't see the need to refer to someone as a bridezilla because they are willing to pay a premium for something they really want. I do think the law of supply and demand has taken over the industry some. But it also can mean that if your flexible then you can get discounts. Don't need the trendy blue cocktail napkins, then yeah for you, you can get the discount oragne ones. Prefer a Saturday wedding but willing to have a Sunday afternoon? Then yeah for you because you are going to get a great deal.