Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5642965 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24765 on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »

Hi, still kind of new and on page 1010 but would like to share a SS story about my mom with you.

This is Special Makusyourhouseahotelus.....

My mom is Japanese, important to the story, and I was reared in Hawaii, my Dad was in the Navy.  Growing up, we always had visitors from Japan staying with us.  Either relatives or people my mom meet in Wakiki at her job and brought home that then came to visit every year.  She is very social and likes to help and be the generous "lady of the manor". 

So, she meet this crafty woman (CW) from Japan that came to Hawaii and bought crafts and stuff to sell in her store in Japan.  My mom let her stay with her to save on her hotel room.  CW would come every few months on her shopping trips and on one she asked my mom if a friend of hers could come and stay also.  My mom said sure the more the merrier.  My mom worked full time as a barber and it was understood that they were on their own for entertainment and transportation but could eat anything in the house.  My mom would sometimes take them places but it depended on her schedule.  So, CW started to bring a couple of people each time to stay and this went on for a few trips.  Till the hammer fell,  one couple that came asked my mom if their breakfast was included in the price of their stay.  My mom was like  :o.  She found out that CW was charging people to stay at my mom's house and pocketing the money.  My mom kicked her out (she did let the nice couple stay and made sure that they told all their friends in Japan about CW).

What makes CW extra snowflakey is she asked my mom what she was going to tell the other couples she had lined up to stay at my moms house that  had already paid.   And she offered my mom $100 for the other couples that had stayed previously.  My mom said she tried calling many times and each time hung up on her.   

:o :o :o There surely must be a word beyond chutzpah...

I think the thread has a winner...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mollie

« Reply #24766 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »

Hi, still kind of new and on page 1010 but would like to share a SS story about my mom with you.

My mom is Japanese, important to the story, and I was reared in Hawaii, my Dad was in the Navy.  Growing up, we always had visitors from Japan staying with us.  Either relatives or people my mom meet in Wakiki at her job and brought home that then came to visit every year.  She is very social and likes to help and be the generous "lady of the manor". 

So, she meet this crafty woman (CW) from Japan that came to Hawaii and bought crafts and stuff to sell in her store in Japan.  My mom let her stay with her to save on her hotel room.  CW would come every few months on her shopping trips and on one she asked my mom if a friend of hers could come and stay also.  My mom said sure the more the merrier.  My mom worked full time as a barber and it was understood that they were on their own for entertainment and transportation but could eat anything in the house.  My mom would sometimes take them places but it depended on her schedule.  So, CW started to bring a couple of people each time to stay and this went on for a few trips.  Till the hammer fell,  one couple that came asked my mom if their breakfast was included in the price of their stay.  My mom was like  :o.  She found out that CW was charging people to stay at my mom's house and pocketing the money.  My mom kicked her out (she did let the nice couple stay and made sure that they told all their friends in Japan about CW).

What makes CW extra snowflakey is she asked my mom what she was going to tell the other couples she had lined up to stay at my moms house that  had already paid.   And she offered my mom $100 for the other couples that had stayed previously.  My mom said she tried calling many times and each time hung up on her.   

If you had repeated in front of your Japanese grandmother what your mother said to CW - would your grandmother have washed out YOUR mouth with soap and then washed out your mother's mouth with soap, too? For using those words in front of her grandchild?

I know that my German grandmother had her three sons trained - none of them (even the one who'd been in the Navy) ever used "military language" in front of his mother or his nieces & nephews or his own kids.  (One of whom went into the Navy & retired a while back.)

Even after I went into the Air Force and learned "military language" - I never used those words around Grandma...

What bad words and military language?

bloo

« Reply #24767 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »

If you had repeated in front of your Japanese grandmother what your mother said to CW - would your grandmother have washed out YOUR mouth with soap and then washed out your mother's mouth with soap, too? For using those words in front of her grandchild?

Am I missing something? ???  What words were said to CW?  I read it over and over and don't see any foul language.

Not just you...

Me three. :-\

Four. Vor, could you clarify?

And Bobbie, welcome and Oh. Mah. Gah.  :o

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #24768 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
I think VorFemme is asking Bobbie about what her mom said - was the language used of the type that a grandmother might not approve of?

Because I imagine that the words Mom used on her SS CW would NOT have been either eHell or Grandmother approved...
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Minmom3

« Reply #24769 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:33 PM »
And yet, fully justified, given the abuse just discovered!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Bobbie

« Reply #24770 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »

I know that my German grandmother had her three sons trained - none of them (even the one who'd been in the Navy) ever used "military language" in front of his mother or his nieces & nephews or his own kids.  (One of whom went into the Navy & retired a while back.)

Even after I went into the Air Force and learned "military language" - I never used those words around Grandma...

I wasn't there in person, but my mom said she told her to leave.  There are not many swear in Japanese like there are in English.  My Dad wasn't involved in the kerfuffle as they spoke only Japanese and he doesn't speak the language.  I don't think I need my mouth washed out  as I was not present.  My Ba-chan, my Japanese grandmother, passed away when I was very young and would have backed my mother.  It brings shame to the family and you lose face if you take advantage of your host.   I put that my Dad was in the military because that was how a 6'4" white Missouri man meet a 4'10" Japanese woman and got to live and still live in Hawaii.     
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:34:42 PM by Bobbie »

Otterpop

« Reply #24771 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
I still don't get where the language inquiry came from?  But I'll bet the "friend" regretted burning that connection.  Your mother was more than gracious to her and her "guests."

This happened to me today:  Guy and his wife were in the grocery check-out line ahead of me.  Wife is at the register, he is behind her and their cart is behind both of them.  All three are spread out several feet past the conveyor belt so no one else could unload their groceries.  (Normal procedure is to put your cart ahead so it can be loaded with your purchases, others behind you can unload onto the conveyor belt).  I wait several minutes while the wife fumbles through her purse then starts to write a check.  I eventually lean over their empty cart and start to unload my full one as the store is getting busy and I've got to get out of there.  Guy plants his foot in front of the wheels and nudges his cart back further.  I look at him and continue to unload over his empty cart, puzzled about why they needed to take up the entire line.

Finally they are checked out and begin to leave.  I wheel my cart up ahead of me and place a divider bar down for the next person to start loading.  Three of us are now using the conveyor, getting our business done.  Guy turns back and I shoot him a look that says "See, this is how it's done.  Everyone shares."  I hope he figures it out next time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:37:28 PM by Otterpop »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #24772 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
*snips quote tree*

Thanks for the welcome.  I am sorry  I offended a long time member.

It's alright, I don't think you offended anyone. We just weren't clear on what VorFemme was trying to say. :) It makes more sense now.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

NyaChan

« Reply #24773 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
*snips quote tree*

Thanks for the welcome.  I am sorry  I offended a long time member.

It's alright, I don't think you offended anyone. We just weren't clear on what VorFemme was trying to say. :) It makes more sense now.

Oh Bobbie I don't think anyone is offended!  I thought you wrote a great post - it always amazes me how greedy people can be!

cwm

« Reply #24774 on: December 10, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
Mom ran into TWO at the Minute Clinic the other day. Minute Clinic is set up so you first see an underling (some sort of nursing assistant, not sure if CNA or CMA) and then the Licensed Nurse Practitioner.

Minute Clinic opens at 10. There are two computer kiosks that people use to check in. When mom showed up at about 9:50, there was a man sitting in the waiting area and a woman at one of the kiosks. Mom went to the other kiosk and started checking in. Woman finished and went to sit in the waiting area, man stood up and went to a kiosk. The underling came in and started to open the rooms. The man stands and says, "Excuse me, but I was here before her (motioning to woman in the waiting area) but she registered before me. Can I still get seen first?"

Underling says no, sorry, we go by the computer list. Man is upset and mom said he sat back down in stony silence, shooting glares at the woman as he finished registering. Underling calls woman over.

Woman: I'm extremely busy, and I have somewhere I need to be by 10:30. I need to be out of here by then. Can you guarantee that I'll be out of here by 10:30? Because if you can't, it's not even worth my time being here, and I don't know why I even bothered. So are you going to guarantee that I'll be gone by 10:30?
Underling: I'm sorry, ma'am, I can't guarantee any timeframe at this point.
Woman huffs off, muttering about how ridiculous it is, and she has places to be, why does she even bother with places like this.

So mom, who got there third, was actually the first patient seen.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24775 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

:o :o :o There surely must be a word beyond chutzpah...

It applies if you use the classic definition- "that quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan."

Welcome, Bobbie!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24776 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »

My mom is Japanese, important to the story, and I was reared in Hawaii, my Dad was in the Navy.  Growing up, we always had visitors from Japan staying with us.  Either relatives or people my mom meet in Waikiki at her job and brought home that then came to visit every year.  She is very social and likes to help and be the generous "lady of the manor". 

What makes CW extra snowflake is she asked my mom what she was going to tell the other couples she had lined up to stay at my moms house that  had already paid.   And she offered my mom $100 for the other couples that had stayed previously.  My mom said she tried calling many times and each time hung up on her.   

Am I missing something? ???  What words were said to CW?  I read it over and over and don't see any foul language.

I was hypothesizing - based on what I had seen in my own extended family...well, heard.  Uncle Sailor learned not to use bad language in front of his mother BEFORE he ever joined the Navy.  Peach switches apparently are even more educational than lye soap in that regard.

But the "scene" of a tiny little Japanese grandmother washing her grandchild's mouth and her daughter's mouth out with soap...just seemed to be one that would follow the OP's scene in a movie.  And I wanted to know if it had....

Since she says that her maternal grandmother had already passed away...it didn't happen.

Did your mother's extend hospitality to the people CW had already collected money from or just broadcast her shameful behavior to the current people staying with her who WOULD pass it along back where CW lived?

Because that story flabbered my ghast...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:50:57 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mal

« Reply #24777 on: December 11, 2013, 04:48:14 AM »
I was standing in line in a ladies' room and a woman behind me asked me to save her spot while she ducked out for a moment.

I... wha..?
How would I even explain that to those who come in after she leaves / upon her return?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24778 on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
Just before a final exam yesterday, there were two groups of students.

Group A: Loud, talking students standing out in the hall.
Group B: Quiet and studying students in the classroom, reviewing notes or just meditating before the exam.

We had at least 10 group B students in the room, and all the sudden 4 of the group A students walk in, talking very loudly. I asked if we could possibly keep the conversations on a low level, as some of us were trying to get ready for the exam. I received a glare, but the loudest student replied in the affirmative and talked quietly after that. I guess it is easy to walk into a room and not realize that there is zero noise in it, while talking very loudly and excitedly, but still rather SS to me.

Ginger G

« Reply #24779 on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
The man stands and says, "Excuse me, but I was here before her (motioning to woman in the waiting area) but she registered before me. Can I still get seen first?"

The same thing happened to my (now retired) boss and I last year at the credit union.  Boss was getting ready to retire so we had to make a visit to the credit union to get my name on a small checking account we maintain so I could sign checks, etc.

There was a sign in sheet for those that needed to meet with bank employees other than the tellers.  We dutifully signed in and at down to wait our turn.  A man who had already been sitting there, jumped up and put his name on the list.  When the bank employee came out to call the next name on the list, he jumped up and demanded to be seen next since he was there before us... and they actually took him first!    Boss and I were pretty annoyed, not so much that he didn't see the list and sign in the way he was supposed to, he was just so rude and demanding about it.