Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5631854 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24825 on: December 13, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »
Got a charmer this morning  ::)  I've recently started poking at writing occasional fanfiction - I'm looking at it like a writing exercise, for the most part (to justify not working on things I might get to sell!), but it's fun to have pre-made characters to play with instead of having to develop all those relationships before messing with them.  Last night I got a silly little idea for a Harry Potter/Sherlock piece, so I got up and wrote it, posted it, and went back to bed.

This morning I got feedback:

I can see where you are trying to go with this story but I just can't see Sherlock get so much wrong !

Plus are you try to make this a comedy or something else, because I didn't chuckle at all !

It felt like you were about to change your mind half way through this story !

Any way this were be better of has may be Mystery plus well...that up you !

You could do Drama where it builds up slow !
Or
Adventure with fighting in it !
Or
Romance where Harry slowly falls in love with Severus and eventually Snape loves him back !
Or
Supernatural/ Fantasy where Harry came into his magical inheritances and he is afraid what everyone will say or do !
Or even
Crime Harrys been kidnap but nobody knows yet !

There are so many ideas here and I do hate to nag but could you try doing one of these instead !

[Commenter'sName] who will leave it up to you and anyone else to decide what to do with these ideas !

So, in summary, "I don't like your story and you should change it to be something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT that's much longer and more involved and involves different characters and also a different genre entirely and I'll "leave it up to you" but totally take my advice."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24826 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »
Must be in love with the exclamation mark!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24827 on: December 13, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
Must be in love with the exclamation mark!

!, I love you truly,
Truly, I do!

I really cannot imagine anyone taking writing advice from this person. I think what they're trying to say is, "You didn't write the story I would have written, if I had ever actually sat down to write a story."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #24828 on: December 13, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
I'd be more likely to accept 'constructive criticism' (ha ha...) from someone who has a better grasp of proper sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar.  ::)

cwm

« Reply #24829 on: December 13, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
I'd be more likely to accept 'constructive criticism' (ha ha...) from someone who has a better grasp of proper sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar.  ::)

Or someone who actually has ideas to offer that don't work out to writing an entirely different story.

Luckily I don't have so many problems on AO3 with weird commenters like that, but fanfiction.net had a ton. I learned to disregard any "constructive criticism" that could apply equally to three different stories I had written. If it reads like a form email, I don't have to take it seriously. That's the beauty of being a fanfiction author.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #24830 on: December 13, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
I used to be on a panel to select good stories for a fan fiction site and idid suggest constructive criticism to help the author, but only limited as these were meant to be the good ones. But there are limits on what I'd do, if it required lots of changes I'd just reject it saying it had too many problems. I was an editor, not a creative writing teacher.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24831 on: December 13, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Counter to the above, the people who will not let merging traffic in. I try to be considerate, pace myself at the same speed, but some drivers consider it their purpose to speed up and keep merging cars from getting in. Ugh!

Couple that with people who use the freeway entrance ramp as their own personal Sunday drive lane, doing 40-50 mph at the bottom, while trying to merge with people who are doing 70, and messing up the flow of traffic for the rest of those on the ramp.

Iris

« Reply #24832 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
I have to nominate my Parents-in-law at DDs' end of year concert a few nights ago. It started out slow with FIL making his loud "Mmmmmm"s that he makes every time he has a thought but isn't allowed to say it. I know they irritate DH but they tend to amuse me, as he reminds me of a little kid in church who has been told not to talk on pain of spanking but can't quite restrain himself. Also it is an informal concert and it is extremely common to see and hear the odd quiet passing remark ("Aren't they cute!" "Oh, I love those costumes" etc) throughout the entire audience.

However, as the concert progressed he and MIL started making more and more passing remarks that ended with them having a running conversation for the last few acts. DH did all he could to shush them but they were cheerfully oblivious and kept it up.

The really snowflakey thing is that when some people sat down behind us early on and started conversing during an act, MIL was the first to turn and glare at them.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Dr. F.

« Reply #24833 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
It just infuriates me SO MUCH when people abuse emergency numbers. Someone could die trying to get through to the emergency services, while call operators are stuck dealing with idiots like this. I really hope that the people in the hash brown case also get into trouble for wasting police time. Police are busy enough as it is without SS who cannot identify what is an emergency and what isn't.
Note: this is specific to my county.  Others may have different regulations.

Not only is the 911 operator and the police dispatcher (some places they are different people) tied up with this, but the dispatcher in the family says that when someone calls and wants the police, they MUST send someone, no matter how ridiculous and trivial.  They can't say "Really? McD's didn't give you any hashbrowns?  DO NOT waste our time with nonsense like that!" 

Now in this case when the other customer and the manager called about the aggressive customer, THAT was an emergency.  He was already behind the counter and screaming at them.  If he'd gone full-on berserk, he could have caused serious injury to someone.

At one point, I heard (read in the LA Times), that the most common 911 call in Orange Co. California was for directions to Disney World. Yes, I can understand that with several small kids in the car that that can feel like an emergency, but it really isn't.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24834 on: December 14, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
I don't know if I was the snowflake or not. I'd like to believe that I wasn't, but I'm not that sure anymore.

I got on a very full bus today, but didn't want to wait another hour so I got in anyway. After a couple of stops I could go further in the back  instead of standing directly in front of the door so I did. Upon which I discovered that at the back of the bus there were 3 open places. This  child was sitting in the middle of two, so I asked/told him "can I sit please". He did say something that I didn't understand, but moved anyway. Five minutes later it became clear to me what he had said, namely that there was someone sitting there, but he was talking with some other kids. Allow me to explain. A school was coming back from an outing and there were about 15 children and 2 or 3 teachers.

On one hand I do feel a little bit guilty, but on the other hand I was thinking "people were standing thisclose to eachother and you expect to have a seat but not use it? That struck me as snowflakey, but I'm sure they saw me as the snowflake one. I'm sure they do because after I became aware of what I did the boy and his teacher came to sit behind me and I heard them talking about me being rude.

I don't know, I probably was in their eyes. I didn't mean to, but I wouldn't be happy either if someone took my seat and consider them rude as well. BUT I don't feel this applies to a bus (especially when people are packed like sardines), I think the teacher should have explained that when in public you can't assume your seat/table/... stays yours when you are not occupying it for a long period of time instead of berating me behind my back.

This is a public bus you're speaking about? No, you can't save seats when it's crowded, in my book. The rudeness was committed by the teacher in sniping at you.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24835 on: December 14, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »
The folks who refuse to merge until the last possible minute.

Really, it's not a construction thing, this is something that is just part of driving down this road, it goes from a four lane road to a two lane road. (two lanes going each way to one lane each way just before a bridge) and it's been that way the whole four years I've lived here, folks.

Which means please stop waiting till the LAST possible minute to merge? Traffic is going slow enough on that road today, we surely don't need anyone backing it up further because they're trying to get in and couldn't do it earlier!

And don't forget the people who get in the right turn lane that turns into a turn lane going into a parking lot instead of the second right turn (or straight) lane that goes into the right straight lane.  Because so many of them are making a right turn, then cutting across two extra lanes of traffic (instead of just one) to get to the left turn lane (across from the parking lot entry) to get to a road that goes to two hotels, three restaurants, and a couple of smaller shopping areas....with an eye doctor, a dentist, and other specialty shops. 

I'm turning right to go straight for two miles to get to the library & extension campus of a couple of colleges.  I stay in the straight or right lane and I don't know how many people have tried to go through me to get to that left turn lane or in front of me to go down the street part of the way to the library...but if I had a dollar for every near miss, I could make a dent in my Christmas shopping list!

In 2000 until 2002, I was working where I drove home using an interstate highway that went from four lanes to two lanes after leaving larger town....and every single time, it seemed that the vehicle in the lane that was going away wanted to get in front of me, so they would keep going & going until they were on the shoulder honking at those of us in the continuing lane to let them merge to the right...when if they'd braked slightly at some point, they could have merged like a zipper.  But they wanted in "at the front" instead of where they were in traffic already...

I see it a lot when traveling - no one wants to merge smoothly - they want to "jump ahead" of the rest of the traffic to minimize the time they spend, not realizing that they are the ones clogging the arteries of traffic and causing at least some of the slowdowns...  Lots of the slowdown, if they cause an accident....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:53:06 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #24836 on: December 14, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
It just infuriates me SO MUCH when people abuse emergency numbers. Someone could die trying to get through to the emergency services, while call operators are stuck dealing with idiots like this. I really hope that the people in the hash brown case also get into trouble for wasting police time. Police are busy enough as it is without SS who cannot identify what is an emergency and what isn't.

Not only is the 911 operator and the police dispatcher (some places they are different people) tied up with this, but the dispatcher in the family says that when someone calls and wants the police, they MUST send someone, no matter how ridiculous and trivial.  They can't say "Really? McD's didn't give you any hashbrowns?  DO NOT waste our time with nonsense like that!" 

Now in this case when the other customer and the manager called about the aggressive customer, THAT was an emergency.  He was already behind the counter and screaming at them.  If he'd gone full-on berserk, he could have caused serious injury to someone.

At one point, I heard (read in the LA Times), that the most common 911 call in Orange Co. California was for directions to Disney World. Yes, I can understand that with several small kids in the car that that can feel like an emergency, but it really isn't.

Well, it's about 3 days cross-country to Florida! 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24837 on: December 14, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »

I'd plan for a week if you wanted to stop anywhere to sightsee....three days pretty much gives you time to pull over for sleep, fuel, and grab something to eat in the car...which would make driving that distance with kids in the car asking "are we there yet?" feel like an eternity.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

purplerainbow

« Reply #24838 on: December 14, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »

I'd plan for a week if you wanted to stop anywhere to sightsee....three days pretty much gives you time to pull over for sleep, fuel, and grab something to eat in the car...which would make driving that distance with kids in the car asking "are we there yet?" feel like an eternity.

Don't forget regular toilet breaks too! Especially with small kids in the car. Oh, and allow extra time for traffic, too.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24839 on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:26 AM »
The folks who refuse to merge until the last possible minute.

Really, it's not a construction thing, this is something that is just part of driving down this road, it goes from a four lane road to a two lane road. (two lanes going each way to one lane each way just before a bridge) and it's been that way the whole four years I've lived here, folks.

Which means please stop waiting till the LAST possible minute to merge? Traffic is going slow enough on that road today, we surely don't need anyone backing it up further because they're trying to get in and couldn't do it earlier!
Actually, cars are supposed to drive in the disappearing right lane until the line between them and the lane to their left changes from long to short dashes.  Then merge to the left.  From a traffic engineer's perspective, merging far in advance of the end of the lane wastes capacity, but this is only relevant in stop & go traffic.  If both lanes are free flowing, then flow on over whenever it is convenient. ;)

We have horrible traffic here in Honolulu, but usually merging is as smooth as a zipper closing: One car from the right lane, then one from the left.  Very efficient & predictable. 8)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius