Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5532780 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24840 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
We have horrible traffic here in Honolulu, but usually merging is as smooth as a zipper closing: One car from the right lane, then one from the left.  Very efficient & predictable. 8)
Do they still have daily accidents at the Punahou off-ramp?  Or has it been redesigned in the 40 years since I left there?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

doodlemor

« Reply #24841 on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »

We have horrible traffic here in Honolulu, but usually merging is as smooth as a zipper closing: One car from the right lane, then one from the left.  Very efficient & predictable. 8)

That's what we encountered outside the Mall of America in Minnesota a few years back.  Also, since most people seemed to know how the system worked, there were no pushiness and jockeying for better positions.  The system seemed both safer and quicker to me.

KB

« Reply #24842 on: December 15, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Actually, cars are supposed to drive in the disappearing right lane until the line between them and the lane to their left changes from long to short dashes.  Then merge to the left.  From a traffic engineer's perspective, merging far in advance of the end of the lane wastes capacity, but this is only relevant in stop & go traffic.  If both lanes are free flowing, then flow on over whenever it is convenient. ;)

Some time ago I read a really interesting book all about the efficiency of cars on the road:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194

It sounds like a strange subject, but Tom Vanderbilt made it fascinating. If anyone is interested, I suggest you read it!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24843 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
The folks who refuse to merge until the last possible minute.

Really, it's not a construction thing, this is something that is just part of driving down this road, it goes from a four lane road to a two lane road. (two lanes going each way to one lane each way just before a bridge) and it's been that way the whole four years I've lived here, folks.

Which means please stop waiting till the LAST possible minute to merge? Traffic is going slow enough on that road today, we surely don't need anyone backing it up further because they're trying to get in and couldn't do it earlier!
Actually, cars are supposed to drive in the disappearing right lane until the line between them and the lane to their left changes from long to short dashes.  Then merge to the left.  From a traffic engineer's perspective, merging far in advance of the end of the lane wastes capacity, but this is only relevant in stop & go traffic.  If both lanes are free flowing, then flow on over whenever it is convenient. ;)

What bothers me is the ones speeding up in the vanishing lane - then driving down the shoulder, honking their horns at the rest of the traffic, apparently under the delusion that they have to let in at the HEAD of the column or that someone should come to a dead stop to let them in after the merging point.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24844 on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
Do they still have daily accidents at the Punahou off-ramp?  Or has it been redesigned in the 40 years since I left there?
Punahou off-ramp has been redesigned and reconstructed.  I haven't heard of an accident there in 20 years.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24845 on: December 16, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
I felt like a SS last week.  They are doing a lot of highway construction which involves closing several lanes in both directions and, apparently, on every major thoroughfare so there is no route unaffected by lane closures or detours.  I drive clear across the island twice a week to see my mare.  I was driving home.  2 lanes of a 4 lane highway were closed (just in my direction).  As I merged onto the highway, I saw a construction sign saying something about using the shoulder lane, but I didn't see the whole message.  I looked at 2 lanes backed up for miles and, about half a mile ahead, I could see the brake lights of a vehicle in the shoulder lane.  I felt like a SS as I drove down the empty shoulder lane past all these cars practically parked in the 2 remaining lanes.  When I caught up to the vehicle in the shoulder lane I could see that all 3 lanes were gridlocked, including the shoulder lane, as we passed the police officers.  I surmise that driving in the shoulder lane was legal and, for some unknown reason, people chose to leave the shoulder lane open so I could slip through.  The 2 closed lanes opened up about 100 ft. later, so I wasn't delayed much at all.

I was very happy to hear on this morning's news that the highway construction work will be pausing for the holidays, so no more lane closures until December 30.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24846 on: December 16, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
I may have been SS, but I refused to drive on campus during commencement ceremonies Friday. The roads were closed on and off from 7 AM to 9 PM. I have so much work to do during the last four days of work, I did not think it was a good use of my time.

Student SS: When applying for school, you are asked to list every college you have attended. We won't make a decision on your file until all of those transcripts are in, so don't contact us having a fit because you haven't been admitted yet. You have been sent emails (months ago) and a letter explaining it as well as it being available to you on your student access page.

Four more days of work this year.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24847 on: December 16, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Had to mail something at the post office today.  The line was literally out the door.  (Well, the first of the two doors, anyway!)  It was an interesting observational study in human behavior.

The way it's set up, there's a main window with three employee stations on the left, there's a long counter down the middle with forms and whatnot, along which the queue forms, and then there's a "store" to the right with all sorts of postal supplies and cards.  There's a cash register and a little desk in the store, but it's not usually manned the rest of the year.  Everyone was waiting in a single line down the middle of the room, along the counter.  Only two of the employee windows were open, and it was their two slowest employees (usually the staff at this post office is great), so the line wasn't going as fast as it could have, but it was still moving at a reasonable clip.

The trouble started when a third employee came to the little counter at the store.  She very clearly announced "I'll take the next person in line - if you're not picking up mail or packages, I can do everything else right here."  The latter half of the line immediately ran over to her counter.  The employee reminded them that she called for the next person in line (i.e. NOT THEM) and everyone will be gotten to shortly.  She helped the proper person, then someone from the back of the line had a quick question, and then the next time I turned around (I was pretty near the front of the line at this point) it was absolutely ridiculous.  A lady and her young son were demanding to be helped next, someone else was trying to pick up a package (something the employee had explicitly said she couldn't do), and everyone seemed determined to split into two lines, despite the employee's announcement that we should stay in one queue.  The store counter was roughly halfway back, so I can understand why everyone who was just coming in the door got confused - there was one clear line (where it normally is) and then two or three half-lines strung out around the store area.  Some people were purposely trying to stand in between the two, I guess to claim space in both.  I think the employee just gave up trying to keep order and started helping whoever came up to her counter next.

I got to the front of the line then (the regular line) and mailed my packages from one of the other two employees, so I didn't get to see if the problem was resolved, but the whole thing could have been avoided if people had just stopped and looked for a moment before getting territorial!

greencat

« Reply #24848 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
I avoid campus AND the major shopping/dining centers in the area during the weekend prior to classes starting and the first two days of classes, during football games, and during commencement. 

My kitten has been a bit of a snowflake lately.  If I'm not sitting in a way that provides her with a proper lap, she stomps all over me and meows at me until I sit up so she can sleep on my lap.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24849 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
A whole blizzard of snowflakes at my grandson's Winter Concert this year.  We got there late and could find seats only at the back.  Heard less than half of it, because the people around us all talked constantly.  When did the rule become "I'm not interested in this part, because my kid isn't in it.  So that means I can talk with my neighbor in a normal conversational volume."? 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24850 on: December 16, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
The folks who refuse to merge until the last possible minute.

Really, it's not a construction thing, this is something that is just part of driving down this road, it goes from a four lane road to a two lane road. (two lanes going each way to one lane each way just before a bridge) and it's been that way the whole four years I've lived here, folks.

Which means please stop waiting till the LAST possible minute to merge? Traffic is going slow enough on that road today, we surely don't need anyone backing it up further because they're trying to get in and couldn't do it earlier!

This was stop and go traffic on this particular day.  Usually it's not.  The first two times I took that route I honestly forgot about the merge and did it last minute myself but since traffic was light on those days and not many were on that road, it really wasn't that big of a deal.  Now it's a weekly thing, I get over to the right as soon as I can cause I know I'll have to be in that lane anyway.

Last week both lanes were crawling as they headed towards the bridge, though the left lane (the one that had to merge with the right) was moving a bit faster.  When I got to the merging point I found it was mostly because the people in the right were trying to shove over. 

As in not content to take turns, which would make sense, to zipper it, but more like "Oh you're letting the Honda in, well you have to let me in too now!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24851 on: December 17, 2013, 03:14:41 AM »
I hope we haven't bachi'ed (jinxed) the "zipper" merges here.  The next time I hit this situation (likely to be day after tomorrow), I'll find everyone trying to get ahead of the other car because then they WIN!  ::)

Honestly, if people thought of how they can drive so traffic will flow smoothly and acting accordingly, we could relieve much of the rush hour frustration.  I'd be the first to admit that it is hard to change lanes here.  It seems that, when people see my directional signal, they accelerate to block my lane change.  This is especially frustrating when I only want to pass through their lane on my way to the exit and no one will let me in.  Our car has several large dings.  DH & I seem to take turns hitting concrete columns and other immovable objects.  I won't fix them because I feel it tells other drivers a message - You better let me merge; Does it look like I care? >:D

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #24852 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
People around here are terrible about closing the gap as soon as you hit your turn signal.  I hate to say it, but I 'm out of the habit of signaling for lane chances because of it.  I have to remind myself to signal when I'm out of this area.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

hjaye

« Reply #24853 on: December 17, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
I ran into a Mr. I’m more important than anyone else last Saturday.
My wife and I went to our favorite mall to get all our Christmas shopping done.  One of the stops was a store that sells nice memento items that you can have engraved.  I purchased something for my grandson, told them what I wanted engraved and left to finish my shopping.  When I came back, I discovered they had made a mistake on the engraving, no big deal, they’ll re-do it, and it will be ready in 30 minutes.
I come back in 30 minutes, the person that had helped me was assisting someone else, another employee tried to help me, couldn’t find my item, and I was willing to wait for the employee who helped me to finish with their customer.  After waiting about five minutes, another man walked into the store and got in line behind me. 
Now he did not know I was waiting on a specific employee as far as he knew, I was next in line for the next available employee.  The employee that had assisted me when I first walked in but wasn’t able to find my item came out from the back room.  Before she had a chance to say anything,  the man behind me got her attention and said “Hey, I’m just here to pick something up.  I ordered it yesterday and said I’d be in today to pick it up.”  He then started describing the item.
The store employee went to look for his item and he went and stood at the counter while she was looking through the completed orders.
I didn’t say anything because I knew there wasn’t anything she could do for me, but this guy didn’t know that.  As far as he knew, he had cut in front of me because after all, he was just there for a pickup, I couldn’t possibly be there for the same thing.  I must have had a much more complicated transaction and therefore he should be served before me.
I hate that he feels like he got away with something, that he somehow was deserving of being waited on before me.  Now if he got the attention of the employee I was waiting on,  that would have been a different story……………….. >:D

magicdomino

« Reply #24854 on: December 17, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
People around here are terrible about closing the gap as soon as you hit your turn signal.  I hate to say it, but I 'm out of the habit of signaling for lane chances because of it.  I have to remind myself to signal when I'm out of this area.

I use that tendancy.  When the other car speeds up, there is often enough gap behind them for me to move over.