Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5757967 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24855 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
People around here are terrible about closing the gap as soon as you hit your turn signal.  I hate to say it, but I 'm out of the habit of signaling for lane chances because of it.  I have to remind myself to signal when I'm out of this area.

I use that tendancy.  When the other car speeds up, there is often enough gap behind them for me to move over.
In my experience, the car behind speeds up to keep up with the car in front and there's still no way for me to move over. :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #24856 on: December 17, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
People around here are terrible about closing the gap as soon as you hit your turn signal.  I hate to say it, but I 'm out of the habit of signaling for lane chances because of it.  I have to remind myself to signal when I'm out of this area.

I use that tendancy.  When the other car speeds up, there is often enough gap behind them for me to move over.
In my experience, the car behind speeds up to keep up with the car in front and there's still no way for me to move over. :-\

It happened to me once that I got to the literal end of the merge lane and nobody would let me in. I couldn't get up to speed because in front of me was a few yards of shoulder then a giant pillar holding up a bridge.

Perhaps it wasn't the politest thing to do, but I sat there with my blinker on and put my hand on the horn and blared it until someone let me in. I was not going to wait for the next hour while rush hour traffic cleared up. I actually had people flipping me off as they passed me (understandable, in a way, I was making a big racket after all), but it still took at least two full minutes for someone to let me in.

Pen^2

« Reply #24857 on: December 17, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »
Parents who try to get free teaching for their kids at the cost of the teacher and other kids >:(

I'm a teacher at a tuition centre. I typically arrive 15-20 minutes early before class starts, so I can get the room set up and photocopy worksheets and all the rest of it at my leisure. I gather the woman who was here before I came tended to arrive right on the dot. So over the last two weeks, a few parents have cottoned on to the fact that I arrive slightly early, and have started taking advantage of it. They'd just arrive 10 minutes early and I'd be there, so they'd get 10 free minutes of teaching for their kid. Once or twice I can understand--it's hard to time arrivals with traffic and weather and so on. But once it happens consistently, I have to arrive earlier and earlier so that I have enough time to properly prepare for the class. If I'm there 20 minutes early and a parent drops their kid off and vamooses without a word, then I'm hardly going to let the kid (some only 3 years old) stand outside unattended while I photocopy. It ends up being a stressful bit of juggling to get everything ready. I was starting to arrive almost an hour early (it's a 90 minute class) just to have enough time to do 5 minutes of photocopying before kids started arriving.

There were only a few main culprits. One parent actually dropped his daughter off for her class, knowing that there was a second class after hers ended, and then "forget" to pick her up until the second class was scheduled to end. Coincidence, my foot. He was actually quite unhappy when he asked what she covered that day, and I told him what she had done in the first class, and that she had not worked but merely been kept busy with colouring in the second. I can't believe he had the nerve to complain!

After that, I spoke with a few other people in our organisation, and we ended up putting up signs which stated that there is no admittance into the classroom until, at the earliest, 5 minutes before their class is scheduled to begin, and that any children left unattended outside their class time (again, with a 5 minute grace period) will be considered abandoned and the authorities will be contacted. Parents who are running late for pick-up can always phone ahead, as many do and always have done. This is not a daycare, and we will not teach or supervise your child for free.

It's sad that we have to put up this kind of sign at all, really.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24858 on: December 17, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
Sad, but reality.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24859 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
A whole blizzard of snowflakes at my grandson's Winter Concert this year.  We got there late and could find seats only at the back.  Heard less than half of it, because the people around us all talked constantly.  When did the rule become "I'm not interested in this part, because my kid isn't in it.  So that means I can talk with my neighbor in a normal conversational volume."?
I once had to "accidentally delete" a video of a recording - because a parent cursed at the music teacher through the entire thing.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24860 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »
Kind of off topic, but my son wore a flashing snowflake necklace to school today.  8)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24861 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »

Possible Trigger issue

The thread about the purple necklace reminded me of this.

My freshman suitemate was a SS and so was our RA
The obsession with pink and purple wasn't SS
The obsession with Prince and Amy Grant wasn't Ss, playing them on an infinite loop while people were trying to sleep was

What was
When her tape player/radio broke she told the RA I took hers and locked it in my room. This was after I had made NUMEROUS noise complaints so the RA thought I did it in revenge.

I told the RA she was NEVER to let pink and purple into my room and that the tape player was mine.

I was told RA was going to report me for theft.

I showed her that my Tape player had MY DL engraved on it. She said I stole Pink and Purples and engraved my DL on it.

Several people confirmed that it was mine and pointed out Pink and Purple's broken one in her room. I was told that since Pink and Purple's roommate had attempted suicide and left school I should give her my tape player.

RA also accused me of being addicted to drugs. I had a 90 day supply of my allergy meds. This had been found in a search of our suite during the whited out incident. She also believed I was "shooting up", because I had an old style epi kit. (Current at the time) that had a syringe in it.  I have different levels of allergy meds  and my doctor, family, and I were not sure how I would react to the airborn type stuff around Austin. I had the Epi because of the peanut allergy.

At this point I took it up the chain. I had already filed a complaint because I went to her blue around the lips having a peanut reaction, and was told she had a party to go to. Fortunately others standing nearby jumped in and got me to the ER.  At this point the Dean ordered that she wasn't allowed to go into my room. If there was a problem the RA from the other end of the hall would open my door. That RA was the older sister of a good friend* and had known me since I was 5.  At the time she was a Junior. It was almost unheard of for a someone who was an RA as a Junior not to be hired as an RA as a Senior. She wasn't and of course it was all my fault.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MissRose

« Reply #24862 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:02 AM »
Yesterday, as I was getting waited on mailing off a few last packages and cards: the post office lady was telling me that the day before a man came in with about 25 packages and letters to be mailed off.   Most of them needed 1 stamp or 2, he bought them.  Normally, people are asked to step aside and place the stamps then the post office person will be happy to take your stuff from you.  But he was insistent that she also help him place the stamps on each one.  She said she would have done so if: #1 it was not 5 minutes before closing time and she had been there since opening at 8am and the office closes at 6:30pm - they had to close up, #2 he had been polite and nice about it because he was far from being that way plus would not leave until ALL of his stuff was done.  She said a nice man in line behind the post office SS did not accept the treatment of the post office employee and let the SS know that his behavior was not acceptable and to take his stuff, get out of the line, etc.  The SS relented then moved as the woman said the man who did the telling off was much taller and bigger than the SS.

I let her know this time of year there are a few people that should NOT be annoyed: retail workers when we are shopping and the postal service/post office people as they work a lot of hours and they often have to deal with the worst in people & not often allowed to call out SS's on their behavior.   She appreciated me being ready and nice as it was getting to the end of yet another long day for them. 

medowynd

« Reply #24863 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
This happened years ago.  I was shopping at a grocery store and couple of ss young teenaged males were walking around bumping into people and messing up displays.  They had their heads down and bumped into a customer.  They started swearing and told the customer to watch it, until they looked up and up.  The customer, about 6'6" and large, asked them what they were saying.  I never saw two boys back pedal so quickly.  They apologized and excused themselves, then practically ran from the store.  I did not hide my laughter and thanked the customer for sending them on their way. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24864 on: December 19, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »
This happened years ago.  I was shopping at a grocery store and couple of ss young teenaged males were walking around bumping into people and messing up displays.  They had their heads down and bumped into a customer.  They started swearing and told the customer to watch it, until they looked up and up.  The customer, about 6'6" and large, asked them what they were saying.  I never saw two boys back pedal so quickly.  They apologized and excused themselves, then practically ran from the store.  I did not hide my laughter and thanked the customer for sending them on their way.

It sounds to me like they were trying to steal from the store/people around them, when someone (especially someone large enough to be physically intimidating) let them know they were being watched, the hightailed it out of there.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24865 on: December 19, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »
Parents who try to get free teaching for their kids at the cost of the teacher and other kids >:(

I'm a teacher at a tuition centre. I typically arrive 15-20 minutes early before class starts, so I can get the room set up and photocopy worksheets and all the rest of it at my leisure. I gather the woman who was here before I came tended to arrive right on the dot. So over the last two weeks, a few parents have cottoned on to the fact that I arrive slightly early, and have started taking advantage of it. They'd just arrive 10 minutes early and I'd be there, so they'd get 10 free minutes of teaching for their kid. Once or twice I can understand--it's hard to time arrivals with traffic and weather and so on. But once it happens consistently, I have to arrive earlier and earlier so that I have enough time to properly prepare for the class. If I'm there 20 minutes early and a parent drops their kid off and vamooses without a word, then I'm hardly going to let the kid (some only 3 years old) stand outside unattended while I photocopy. It ends up being a stressful bit of juggling to get everything ready. I was starting to arrive almost an hour early (it's a 90 minute class) just to have enough time to do 5 minutes of photocopying before kids started arriving.

There were only a few main culprits. One parent actually dropped his daughter off for her class, knowing that there was a second class after hers ended, and then "forget" to pick her up until the second class was scheduled to end. Coincidence, my foot. He was actually quite unhappy when he asked what she covered that day, and I told him what she had done in the first class, and that she had not worked but merely been kept busy with colouring in the second. I can't believe he had the nerve to complain!

After that, I spoke with a few other people in our organisation, and we ended up putting up signs which stated that there is no admittance into the classroom until, at the earliest, 5 minutes before their class is scheduled to begin, and that any children left unattended outside their class time (again, with a 5 minute grace period) will be considered abandoned and the authorities will be contacted. Parents who are running late for pick-up can always phone ahead, as many do and always have done. This is not a daycare, and we will not teach or supervise your child for free.

I worked at an after-school program run out of a large elementary school. It started as soon as school ended and the kids were supposed to be picked up by 5:30pm at the latest, the fee was paid on a monthly basis. The lady who was training me explained that a "perk" of the job was that the parents got a grace period of 5 minutes and then the late fee was $5 plus $1 for each additional minute, paid directly to the closing caregiver, in cash. Failure to pay meant you had to make other arrangements for your child the next day (and each day thereafter until you paid, I suppose, though it never went that far.) I was shocked at first because it seemed really strict but then she explained how they used to be routinely kept an hour late every single evening because a handful of parents took advantage (understatement!). Ever since initiating the late fee everyone was right on time and if not, hey, at least you'd get a nice tip.  ;)

I'll add, though, that there was a time or two when an otherwise punctual parent would truly be running late for a legit reason and we'd always waive the fee. It was really just a formality set in place to melt the snowflakes.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24866 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
Yesterday, as I was getting waited on mailing off a few last packages and cards: the post office lady was telling me that the day before a man came in with about 25 packages and letters to be mailed off.   Most of them needed 1 stamp or 2, he bought them.  Normally, people are asked to step aside and place the stamps then the post office person will be happy to take your stuff from you.  But he was insistent that she also help him place the stamps on each one.  She said she would have done so if: #1 it was not 5 minutes before closing time and she had been there since opening at 8am and the office closes at 6:30pm - they had to close up, #2 he had been polite and nice about it because he was far from being that way plus would not leave until ALL of his stuff was done.  She said a nice man in line behind the post office SS did not accept the treatment of the post office employee and let the SS know that his behavior was not acceptable and to take his stuff, get out of the line, etc.  The SS relented then moved as the woman said the man who did the telling off was much taller and bigger than the SS.

I let her know this time of year there are a few people that should NOT be annoyed: retail workers when we are shopping and the postal service/post office people as they work a lot of hours and they often have to deal with the worst in people & not often allowed to call out SS's on their behavior.   She appreciated me being ready and nice as it was getting to the end of yet another long day for them.

Post Office SS's proliferate at this time of year!  I've been able to avoid them this year due to mailing my packages at off hours (the lady in front of me was super annoying this morning, but not quite an SS.  Not knowing how to use the APC is not SS'y, although perhaps the time to figure out how to use one isn't when you have five packages and three people in line behind you). 

Last year was a different story.  I took a half day from work specifically to mail my packages.  I arrive at the post office and see that the APC is available, so I go over there instead of standing in line for the counter.  Yay!  I get one package set up and start on the second one, only to have a guy try and shove me out of the way claiming it was his turn.  I pointed out that I wasn't done, only to be told "You get to do one package per time at the machine.  It's my turn now!".  He starts trying to cancel my transaction.  I get the attention of an employee who was making sure the line for the counter went where it needed to, and she finally convinced the guy that if I had four packages, that meant I got to mail four packages when it was my turn.  He then stood thisclose to me the entire rest of the time I was printing out labels and made annoyed noises at "how long" I was taking.  When I was finished, I "accidentally" turned a full 180 and walked straight into him, knocking him back a few steps.  I said sorry about that; normally people aren't quite so close! and walked off.  Some people.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24867 on: December 19, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

I worked at an after-school program run out of a large elementary school. It started as soon as school ended and the kids were supposed to be picked up by 5:30pm at the latest, the fee was paid on a monthly basis. The lady who was training me explained that a "perk" of the job was that the parents got a grace period of 5 minutes and then the late fee was $5 plus $1 for each additional minute, paid directly to the closing caregiver, in cash. Failure to pay meant you had to make other arrangements for your child the next day (and each day thereafter until you paid, I suppose, though it never went that far.) I was shocked at first because it seemed really strict but then she explained how they used to be routinely kept an hour late every single evening because a handful of parents took advantage (understatement!). Ever since initiating the late fee everyone was right on time and if not, hey, at least you'd get a nice tip.  ;)

I'll add, though, that there was a time or two when an otherwise punctual parent would truly be running late for a legit reason and we'd always waive the fee. It was really just a formality set in place to melt the snowflakes.

I remember reading once about a daycare or preschool in Israel (I think?) that had a problem with chronic lateness, so they instituted a fee.  I think it was $3 for every 5 minutes?  And then people started being *more* late!  There was a study where they were trying to figure out why, exactly, this was the case.  It turned out that the reason was two things.  One was, instituting a fee rather than a penalty told people that it was okay to be late... as long as you were willing to pay the fee.  So people who before felt that being late was morally wrong, or that a calamity would occur, and who thus hurried to get their kids on time, now relaxed, figuring that at the worst, they'd have to pay a free.  The other was that the fee was too low.  Because it was too low, people saw it as being just a service offered, rather than a penalty.  They made the fee much higher (no idea what, sorry), and the lateness went way down.  It was an interesting study in how disincentives work, and how if a penalty for wrong behavior isn't high enough, it can make people think that the wrong behavior is okay since they'll pay the fee, and so they no longer think of the wrong behavior as being wrong.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24868 on: December 19, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
Hm-m-m, sounds like a company for which I used to work.  They had a problem with employees coming in late and arriving late for meetings.  Promptness was not optional according to the 4 partners.  They took a large clear plastic jar and labeled it as "late fine."  If you were late for work or a meeting, you had to put $1 in the jar.  At the time, I was barely making ends meet and resented every penny I had to spend for everything, so I was especially careful to be early.  Other employees, not so much.  One guy said he liked the new system because he was late all the time and they gave him no end of grief for his tardiness, but now all he had to do was put a dollar bill in the jar and he was home free.

The partners realized they needed to take disciplinary action against transgressors if they wanted anyone to change their habits.  Putting the dollar in the jar was an acceptable cost for not stressing out getting to work on time.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24869 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
found two special snowflakes on my way home!

I was walking in the store parking lot when i saw two cars... in the lane people use to drive in. and they were quite near the enterance/exit of the parking lot. They were parked there, talking to each other. In order to exit the parking lot from that entrance/exit, they had to swerve around the two snowflake drivers in the lanes!