Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5619822 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24930 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
SS Driver:

There was a fresh accident on US1 while I was heading home earlier today.  This chunk of the road is three lanes on either side.  The accident took up the middle and left hand lanes.  Most people are carefully merging (and allowing others to merge) into the right lane.  Then SS driver pulls into the far left from WAY back in the line and tries to merge over at the last possible second.  In a show of solidarity, at least 7-8 drivers (that I could tell) refused to let him in.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24931 on: January 01, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
Doctor's office Tuesday, there are four slots in front of the building, a square two parking spaces wide or one deep where you aren't supposed to park, then five or six more slots parallel to the base of the square (90 degree angle to the other parking spaces). It's an L shape with the square where the two legs of the L come together. 

When I get there, some has parked on the inside of the square, meaning NO ONE can park on the two slots behind them or they will be unable to leave....nobody was SS or dumb enough to park next to them....so basically one car in the wrong place taking up four parking spaces (one actual space and two behind it so that they could get out and the fourth empty one where they would need to go back & forth to work their way gradually out to a point where they could leave.

There was a hedge keeping them from driving off the end of the building....or it might have been slightly easier....

It might be time to get the parking space lines repainted....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #24932 on: January 01, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
I took the kiddos to the science museum today, and met the SS group that never ends. One of the cool things to do is lie on a bed of nails. You lie down and then push the buttons and the nails rise up under you until you're fully lying on a bed of nails. It blew my 5yo's mind :) As I said, it's very cool, and so it's very popular. When we walked up there was a family ahead of us, and a woman with 2 girls were using the bed. Both girls took their turns, but instead of letting someone else go, they called over some more kids. 2 more kids showed up. Children 3 and 4 took their turns, then girls 1 and 2 went again. Then another adult showed up and took a turn. He was calling over Boy 5 when another adult in their group finally walked up and pointed out the rest of us waiting. Baby kept running off, so I was chasing him, that's why I didn't say anything earlier.

Then there was the precious boy who "was in line." At several different stations this boy cut in front of the line. The adult with him would wander up behind and ask him, "were you here first, or were these other kids here before you?" Every time he claimed to have been there first. Every time the adult with him just kind of shrugged and asked if he was sure. Twice I piped up, "actually these guys were first. The end of the line is right there." Then I got a nasty look and "he said he was here first" from his adult.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24933 on: January 02, 2014, 03:53:46 AM »
I nominate my DH for my New Year's first SS sighting.  We were invited again this year to a lovely party at some friends' townhouse.  They have no children & no pets - and white carpets.  DH told me that our little (13 pound) dog was invited, too.  I know this party has excellent food (it's pot luck) and a lot of people.  I said I thought it might be a bit much for Honey Girl so I would be prepared to take her outside.  I took her for a nice long walk before we left so she piddled and pooped.

It was immediately clear that our hosts had not invited Honey Girl.  They were both gracious, but a bit taken aback.  DH sat down to chat with someone.  I asked him to take HG so I could fill my plate.  He took the leash, but must have let it go as soon as I turned my back because, out of the corner of my eye, I saw HG going for someone's plate of food which they had put down on the carpet.  I grabbed her leash and was temporarily at a loss for what to do next.  Then the wife said she would be more comfortable if HG went out on the patio.  I agreed with her and said I thought HG would be more comfortable there since it wasn't as crowded and I would be more comfortable with her off the white carpet.

HG has not been around that many people (30+) since we rescued her just before Memorial Day 2013.  She wanted to eat the food on the coffee tables.  She was bored sitting while I ate.  I gave her a few dog treats which I brought along for her - chicken jerky is her favorite and that refocused her away from all the food.

DH finally realizes that I'm not in the house, but am out on the patio, and he joins me.  I ask him to hold on to HG so I can get dessert.  The neighborhood cats (both more than 15 pounds each) casually strolled up to the patio entrance which set HG off barking and trying to get loose to chase the cats.  By the time I get back out to the patio, DH is walking to the car with HG.  I run after him and he says HG is being bad, so we have to leave - right now!

I run back inside, make my apologies to the host & hostess (who was hoping I would stay longer as she wanted to introduce me to someone), grab all my stuff & all HG's stuff and my plate of desserts, still untouched.  When I get to the car, DH is frustrated and taking it out on HG who is getting more distraught.  I told him (gently) to take a couple deep breaths and he snaps at me.  I said, "You know you can't calm her down until you calm down."  Eventually he got it and the rest of the ride home was uneventful.  He's still frustrated and says HG embarrassed him.  I just shrugged and said the party was too much for her and the cats were final straw (I swear one wiggled his ears and stuck his tongue out at HG).

I suspect DH knows he shouldn't have brought Honey Girl.  He shouldn't have lied to me and said she was invited when neither of our hosts had invited her.  That really disappoints me.  But the worst SS trait of all - he wanted to do what he wanted.  I guess he thought it would be easier to ask forgiveness than permission, but he didn't apologize to our hosts - or to me.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

kckgirl

« Reply #24934 on: January 02, 2014, 04:18:29 AM »
You might want to find a way to let your gracious hosts know that it won't happen again.  Can you encourage your husband to give them the apology that he owes them?
Maryland

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24935 on: January 02, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
You might want to find a way to let your gracious hosts know that it won't happen again.  Can you encourage your husband to give them the apology that he owes them?

Yeah, I'd encourage the husband to apologize. If I were the hosts, bringing a dog along to my party would put you on the "do not invite over again" list pretty quick, and if no explanation and apology were given for bringing the dog along it'd make things even worse.

Margo

« Reply #24936 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
And if your husband won't apologise, you should. While you were misled by him into thinking your dog had been invited, the two of you attended as a social unit so as far as the host is concerned, you were each equally rude by bringing the uninvited dog. TBH, I think one of you should have apologised and taken her straight home as soon as you realised she wasn't supposed to be there.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24937 on: January 02, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
And if your husband won't apologise, you should. While you were misled by him into thinking your dog had been invited, the two of you attended as a social unit so as far as the host is concerned, you were each equally rude by bringing the uninvited dog. TBH, I think one of you should have apologised and taken her straight home as soon as you realised she wasn't supposed to be there.

Agreed. I'd have left with the dog as soon as I realized the hosts had not actually said it was OK to bring her.

Snooks

« Reply #24938 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
I can't decide if I was the SS or the woman in the store today was.  We'd finished our food shopping and as we turned to leave I heard DH mutter "Oh you are kidding" and saw a woman setting up a potty for a child to use in the area beyond the checkouts, the area everyone with their full cart of shopping walks down.  As we walked past she picked up the child and said to him "Do you need to go for a wee?", without stopping I said to her "They've got toilets here, they're just over there" and pointed to where the toilets were.  DH thinks I was rude, I think she was disgusting for setting up a potty in the food store.  I dread to think what she was going to do with the contents because she'd need to go past the loose fruit and vegetables to get it to a toilet.  She didn't seem to be in a hurry and she wasn't on her own (there was another adult with the child) so getting him to the toilet shouldn't have been a problem.

Carotte

« Reply #24939 on: January 02, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
I can't decide if I was the SS or the woman in the store today was.  We'd finished our food shopping and as we turned to leave I heard DH mutter "Oh you are kidding" and saw a woman setting up a potty for a child to use in the area beyond the checkouts, the area everyone with their full cart of shopping walks down.  As we walked past she picked up the child and said to him "Do you need to go for a wee?", without stopping I said to her "They've got toilets here, they're just over there" and pointed to where the toilets were.  DH thinks I was rude, I think she was disgusting for setting up a potty in the food store.  I dread to think what she was going to do with the contents because she'd need to go past the loose fruit and vegetables to get it to a toilet.  She didn't seem to be in a hurry and she wasn't on her own (there was another adult with the child) so getting him to the toilet shouldn't have been a problem.

:o
Accidents happen and with little kid you have to be prepared at all times (at least I guess so much without having kids myself) but if the kid wasn't even asking for it?  :o
Even if she was doing it inside the bathroom but not in a stall I would find it weird (unless the stalls were really small and not at all convenient).
I once saw a woman helping her young son (he was walking/standing but under 3 y/old I guess) go wee on the side of a pillar in the mall, on carpet!
(you know, the place where it's the most convenient to put your bags down if you have to tie your shoe, take a break, get your cellphone out..)
As I said, accidents happen, but when there is a non-carpeted area just 5 feets to your right the right course of action is to: 1) quickly get the kid to the less crowded and easy to clean area and 2) quickly tell anyone (a shopper, a security agent, the closest store worker) to call for clean-up - you created a slipping risk, it's best to stay so that you can alert people to be carefull and not leave a big puddle unattended.
I didn't stay, but someone letting a kid wee on carpet doesn't sound to be the best person to follow up and give notice to the cleaning crew...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24940 on: January 02, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

You were fine.  She?  Not so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24941 on: January 02, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
You were fine
The woman was horrid
The store management should have at least kicked her out and banned her from the store

Honestly you should write a complaint to corporate and report this to the health department.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24942 on: January 02, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Oh that's just disgusting. And correct me if I'm wrong, although I know sometimes you can't help it, and there isn't always time to prevent an accident, but isn't part of the potty training teaching your kids where its APPROPRIATE to go, i.e. IN the bathroom? And not peeing on carpet in the mall, or bringing a potty along with you on a shopping trip? To me, that seems like your're sending the message its ok to just do your business anywhere you like, anytime.

Margo

« Reply #24943 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
In a previous job, we once had a client squat down and wee on the carpeted floor of our reception area. In front of a large plate glass window onto the street, and in front of 2 or 3 other clients. had she asked, she could have used our WC.

I cannot understand, now or then, how anyone would think that was remotely acceptable.

In your situation, I think you were absolutely fine, and I hope you also alerted a ember of staff.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24944 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
I did apologize; I just didn't include that in my long narrative.  I apologized to our host, who greeted us, when I realized he had not invited the dog.  My husband had already left me (gr-r-r-r >:().  I felt it would be rude to leave then because our host was playing with the dog, saying she was very cute and welcome to stay.

I apologized to our hostess also: Once when I greeted her and realized that she did not invite the dog either and again when we were leaving, although by then I was apologizing for the barking dog, leaving abruptly (& not staying to meet the person she wanted me to meet), and bringing the dog in the first place.  I told our hostess that the dog would have been happier at home with her cat, Buddy, and would be staying there in the future.  We discussed meeting soon for dinner, which will be my treat.

I planned all along to keep the dog outside because the white carpet made me nervous.  The party is held in the back yard, inside, and on the front patio.  When we arrived, after the host played with the dog, I took her into the back yard for awhile.  I thought DH would at least take responsibility for the dog he wanted to bring long enough for me to put food on my plate, but I misjudged.  I thought he would take responsibility for this fiasco, but he is blaming the dog.

"Encouraging" my husband to apologize is guaranteed to backfire.  Trust me.  After 24 years, I know this about him.  I have yet to hear a sincere apology from him for anything, nor have I heard him take responsibility for the unpleasant consequences of his actions.  His opinion, which I do not share, is that he is only responsible for intentional consequences, not stuff that happened because of his actions, but which he did not plan. :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius