Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4396787 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24945 on: January 02, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
I can't decide if I was the SS or the woman in the store today was.  We'd finished our food shopping and as we turned to leave I heard DH mutter "Oh you are kidding" and saw a woman setting up a potty for a child to use in the area beyond the checkouts, the area everyone with their full cart of shopping walks down.  As we walked past she picked up the child and said to him "Do you need to go for a wee?", without stopping I said to her "They've got toilets here, they're just over there" and pointed to where the toilets were.  DH thinks I was rude, I think she was disgusting for setting up a potty in the food store.  I dread to think what she was going to do with the contents because she'd need to go past the loose fruit and vegetables to get it to a toilet.  She didn't seem to be in a hurry and she wasn't on her own (there was another adult with the child) so getting him to the toilet shouldn't have been a problem.
You were fine
The woman was horrid
The store management should have at least kicked her out and banned her from the store

Honestly you should write a complaint to corporate and report this to the health department.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24946 on: January 02, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Oh that's just disgusting. And correct me if I'm wrong, although I know sometimes you can't help it, and there isn't always time to prevent an accident, but isn't part of the potty training teaching your kids where its APPROPRIATE to go, i.e. IN the bathroom? And not peeing on carpet in the mall, or bringing a potty along with you on a shopping trip? To me, that seems like your're sending the message its ok to just do your business anywhere you like, anytime.

Margo

« Reply #24947 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
In a previous job, we once had a client squat down and wee on the carpeted floor of our reception area. In front of a large plate glass window onto the street, and in front of 2 or 3 other clients. had she asked, she could have used our WC.

I cannot understand, now or then, how anyone would think that was remotely acceptable.

In your situation, I think you were absolutely fine, and I hope you also alerted a ember of staff.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24948 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
And if your husband won't apologise, you should. While you were misled by him into thinking your dog had been invited, the two of you attended as a social unit so as far as the host is concerned, you were each equally rude by bringing the uninvited dog. TBH, I think one of you should have apologised and taken her straight home as soon as you realised she wasn't supposed to be there.
I did apologize; I just didn't include that in my long narrative.  I apologized to our host, who greeted us, when I realized he had not invited the dog.  My husband had already left me (gr-r-r-r >:().  I felt it would be rude to leave then because our host was playing with the dog, saying she was very cute and welcome to stay.

I apologized to our hostess also: Once when I greeted her and realized that she did not invite the dog either and again when we were leaving, although by then I was apologizing for the barking dog, leaving abruptly (& not staying to meet the person she wanted me to meet), and bringing the dog in the first place.  I told our hostess that the dog would have been happier at home with her cat, Buddy, and would be staying there in the future.  We discussed meeting soon for dinner, which will be my treat.

I planned all along to keep the dog outside because the white carpet made me nervous.  The party is held in the back yard, inside, and on the front patio.  When we arrived, after the host played with the dog, I took her into the back yard for awhile.  I thought DH would at least take responsibility for the dog he wanted to bring long enough for me to put food on my plate, but I misjudged.  I thought he would take responsibility for this fiasco, but he is blaming the dog.

"Encouraging" my husband to apologize is guaranteed to backfire.  Trust me.  After 24 years, I know this about him.  I have yet to hear a sincere apology from him for anything, nor have I heard him take responsibility for the unpleasant consequences of his actions.  His opinion, which I do not share, is that he is only responsible for intentional consequences, not stuff that happened because of his actions, but which he did not plan. :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24949 on: January 02, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
Oh that's just disgusting. And correct me if I'm wrong, although I know sometimes you can't help it, and there isn't always time to prevent an accident, but isn't part of the potty training teaching your kids where its APPROPRIATE to go, i.e. IN the bathroom? And not peeing on carpet in the mall, or bringing a potty along with you on a shopping trip? To me, that seems like your're sending the message its ok to just do your business anywhere you like, anytime.
That's the part that gobsmacked me: Isn't it inconvenient to carry a potty around?  Isn't that why public restrooms are provided?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24950 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
In a previous job, we once had a client squat down and wee on the carpeted floor of our reception area. In front of a large plate glass window onto the street, and in front of 2 or 3 other clients. had she asked, she could have used our WC.

I cannot understand, now or then, how anyone would think that was remotely acceptable.
I was waiting at the bus stop when a woman lifted her long skirts and peed on the sidewalk in front of the bus stop.  I don't think the concept of "acceptable" existed in her mind; She seemed addled.

Marcus Aurelius

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #24951 on: January 02, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
That's the part that gobsmacked me: Isn't it inconvenient to carry a potty around?  Isn't that why public restrooms are provided?

Or, if you're in that potty training stage, you get one of those fold-up potty lids you can stick in the diaper bag or a large purse.  Portable, doesn't get gross, and helps little bottoms sit on those big commercial toilet seats.

(We got stuck on the highway for several hours once when Babybartfast was potty training.  Power was out in the city for a week and we - along with everyone else - were evacuating the tornadoes.  Babybartfast had to go, and the floodwater was literally up to about ten feet from the edge of the highway, so couldn't go down among the trees . . . DH ended up having to hold the potty seat up while she sat on it, in full view of a zillion other people.  And then she wouldn't go because there was grass tickling her bottom   ::)  It was memorable, at least . . .) 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24952 on: January 02, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
And if your husband won't apologise, you should. While you were misled by him into thinking your dog had been invited, the two of you attended as a social unit so as far as the host is concerned, you were each equally rude by bringing the uninvited dog. TBH, I think one of you should have apologised and taken her straight home as soon as you realised she wasn't supposed to be there.
I did apologize; I just didn't include that in my long narrative.  I apologized to our host, who greeted us, when I realized he had not invited the dog.  My husband had already left me (gr-r-r-r >:().  I felt it would be rude to leave then because our host was playing with the dog, saying she was very cute and welcome to stay.

I apologized to our hostess also: Once when I greeted her and realized that she did not invite the dog either and again when we were leaving, although by then I was apologizing for the barking dog, leaving abruptly (& not staying to meet the person she wanted me to meet), and bringing the dog in the first place.  I told our hostess that the dog would have been happier at home with her cat, Buddy, and would be staying there in the future.  We discussed meeting soon for dinner, which will be my treat.

I planned all along to keep the dog outside because the white carpet made me nervous.  The party is held in the back yard, inside, and on the front patio.  When we arrived, after the host played with the dog, I took her into the back yard for awhile.  I thought DH would at least take responsibility for the dog he wanted to bring long enough for me to put food on my plate, but I misjudged.  I thought he would take responsibility for this fiasco, but he is blaming the dog.

"Encouraging" my husband to apologize is guaranteed to backfire.  Trust me.  After 24 years, I know this about him.  I have yet to hear a sincere apology from him for anything, nor have I heard him take responsibility for the unpleasant consequences of his actions.  His opinion, which I do not share, is that he is only responsible for intentional consequences, not stuff that happened because of his actions, but which he did not plan. :-\

Midknight, may I ask what prompted you and your DH to bring the dog to the party? It would just seem so odd to me to take a dog to a party at a home.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24953 on: January 02, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »

Or, if you're in that potty training stage, you get one of those fold-up potty lids you can stick in the diaper bag or a large purse.  Portable, doesn't get gross, and helps little bottoms sit on those big commercial toilet seats.

(We got stuck on the highway for several hours once when Babybartfast was potty training.  Power was out in the city for a week and we - along with everyone else - were evacuating the tornadoes.  Babybartfast had to go, and the floodwater was literally up to about ten feet from the edge of the highway, so couldn't go down among the trees . . . DH ended up having to hold the potty seat up while she sat on it, in full view of a zillion other people.  And then she wouldn't go because there was grass tickling her bottom   ::)  It was memorable, at least . . .)

I had one of these when the kids were little (without artwork) and I loved it. This was early 90's so lots of places didn't have paper toilet seat liners and even once the kids didn't need it I still took it in my backpack when we traveled or went to themeparks, zoos, or other places that might not have the cleanest restrooms.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24954 on: January 02, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
Midnight, may I ask what prompted you and your DH to bring the dog to the party? It would just seem so odd to me to take a dog to a party at a home.
I was not part of the decision to bring the dog.  My husband told me that Honey Girl was invited to the party and we were expected to bring her.  I was skeptical.  I remember saying, "Really? I don't think that's a good idea."  DH was dismissive of my concerns, saying "it'll be fine."  He said I worry too much about nothing.  They are his friends and he RSVP'd.

I don't know what prompted him to want to bring her.  He didn't spend any time with her at the party. ::)

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24955 on: January 02, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »
Midnight, may I ask what prompted you and your DH to bring the dog to the party? It would just seem so odd to me to take a dog to a party at a home.
I was not part of the decision to bring the dog.  My husband told me that Honey Girl was invited to the party and we were expected to bring her.  I was skeptical.  I remember saying, "Really? I don't think that's a good idea."  DH was dismissive of my concerns, saying "it'll be fine."  He said I worry too much about nothing.  They are his friends and he RSVP'd.

I don't know what prompted him to want to bring her.  He didn't spend any time with her at the party. ::)
Admittedly, I don't know anything about you or him, but could it be a power thing?  "I want to bring the dog, so that's what matters.  And I want Midnight to take care of the dog, so that's what matters"?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #24956 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »

Admittedly, I don't know anything about you or him, but could it be a power thing?  "I want to bring the dog, so that's what matters.  And I want Midnight to take care of the dog, so that's what matters"?
It's good to hear it from a totally impartial third party, but that's what it felt like to me.  :'(

Marcus Aurelius

Carotte

« Reply #24957 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »

Somewhere hidden (and I do hope it does stay hidden!) in the middle of "when they were kids" story is one with a traffic jam, serious winter conditions, 6 y/old (girl) me and a pressing urge. And an empty soda cup... I'm pretty sure that was not the easiest thing to do considering the car was small so my mother couldn't even help me or get out of her seat, we probably couldn't park or stop the car even if it was going snail pace...

dawbs

« Reply #24958 on: January 02, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »

I have one of those foldy ones and I do also have an 'extra' seat (the super-cheap ones from Ikea!) in each car--because she is scared of the 'big' potty and we're in the "I have to pee--whoops, to late!" stage.  But it has never occurred to me to put it on the floor in a lobby :)

KB

« Reply #24959 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
It's good to hear it from a totally impartial third party, but that's what it felt like to me.  :'(

I don't want to open any potentially painful wounds, but the way you described him earlier sent up some red flags. Is his behaviour only like this about the dog or does it extend to other aspects of your life? Because it sounds very dark and negative.