Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5521295 times)

sevenday

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #24990 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
In my own case, reversing is only a temporary solution because it would then have me pointing the wrong direction when leaving and needing the swing space in either case.  I'm not gonna go straight for a tow truck - the manager should be on top of this.  This is especially annoying for me because about a year after we moved in, I moved my car out front of my house (semi on my grass, semi on the road) for 30 minutes so a tow truck could get the 2nd car out of the driveway.  Before the tow truck got there, a note appeared on my windshield, labeled from the park, and cited the rule in the lease that says NO PARKING.  And yet, the neighbor across the way had been leaving his car parked in the same spot on the road, further out into it than my own car was, for at least six hours at a time, and he never got a note that I saw besides my own.  So the manager doesn't get to pick and choose who she scolds - if she doesn't do anything about the idjit blocking me in, then I will consider the tow. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24991 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
In my own case, reversing is only a temporary solution because it would then have me pointing the wrong direction when leaving and needing the swing space in either case.  I'm not gonna go straight for a tow truck - the manager should be on top of this.  This is especially annoying for me because about a year after we moved in, I moved my car out front of my house (semi on my grass, semi on the road) for 30 minutes so a tow truck could get the 2nd car out of the driveway.  Before the tow truck got there, a note appeared on my windshield, labeled from the park, and cited the rule in the lease that says NO PARKING.  And yet, the neighbor across the way had been leaving his car parked in the same spot on the road, further out into it than my own car was, for at least six hours at a time, and he never got a note that I saw besides my own.  So the manager doesn't get to pick and choose who she scolds - if she doesn't do anything about the idjit blocking me in, then I will consider the tow.
What do you want to bet that the idjit was the one who complained that you were parking in "their" spot?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

sevenday

« Reply #24992 on: January 08, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »
I would not be surprised. However, where I parked does not affect anyone else's ability to get in and out of the driveway. It's kind of an odd layout. It's laid out JUST wide enough to allow people to get in and out if someone parks in a certain way, but not the other.  This guy in question, if he really wants to park on the street, if he moved his car 5 feet down in one direction it would be actually closer to his front door and not block anyone.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #24993 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
In our mobile home park, there is street parking, one side only, so there is room for emergency vehicles. Your park sounds very narrow, which could be why there is no street parking.  I'm sure street parker would not be amused if a firetruck moved his car for him/her.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #24994 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
In the park where I used to live there was no street parking because the streets were very narrow.  My neighbors were usually very considerate; my neighbors across the street was part of a large extended family, and they often had cookouts in the summer.  Because there was so little guest parking I would be asked if I cared if someone parked in my (very long) driveway behind my car.  Normally it wasn't a problem, and if I was home they'd bring me some food.  However, I made it clear that they had to ask first, because I didn't feel I should have to hunt someone down to move their car if I needed to leave.  On only one occasion someone didn't ask first, and when I hunted them down I told them that if it happened again they'd lose their parking privileges.  It never happened again until I moved.

Aside from this, the only other time I got blocked trying to park was one day when I got home, and a police car was parked in front of my driveway.  If the officer had been there on business I'd have parked somewhere else, but he was standing not 10 feet away, chatting with the manager.  He tried to wave me past, but I told him it was my driveway he was blocking, and he immediately moved his vehicle. 

If someone parked on the street in this mobile home park and wasn't unloading groceries or furniture or something similar, they'd get an immediate warning.  Our managers were nice people, but because the streets were so narrow the park would be hit with a huge fine if an emergency vehicle couldn't get through (or so I was told when I moved in), so the no street parking rule was strictly enforced. 

MissRose

« Reply #24995 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »
In our mobile home park, there is street parking, one side only, so there is room for emergency vehicles. Your park sounds very narrow, which could be why there is no street parking.  I'm sure street parker would not be amused if a firetruck moved his car for him/her.

My sister's past mobile home park had wide enough streets to allow for on the street parking and for traffic to pass.   If there were issues with the way people parked, I was not aware of them nor did my sister say there were any as she said she didn't talk to all of her neighbors.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24996 on: January 09, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »
The undergrads are back in town and fail to remember that you can't walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk, you have to look both ways before crossing a street, you have to cross with the light, you can't meander slowly across the diagonal of an intersection, at a busy street you really should walk down 20 feet and cross in the crosswalk, cyclists have to follow traffic rules, you shouldn't ride a bike on a sidewalk, and the list goes on and on. All of this was in the space of about 10 minutes as I attempted to run an errand on main campus, but I gave up before I became a crazy ranting person.

Don't forget the whole "bicyclists must stop at 4-way stops, just like cars do" thing. I swear we had a girl with a death-wish last year who would FLY through the busiest 4-way stop on campus. She never slowed even a bit.

A friend of mine ranted on Facebook recently about how she couldn't believe she got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. After all, she was on a bicycle! Fortunately, everyone else quickly pointed out that bikes have to follow traffic laws too, thus restoring my face in my friend's list. :)

She isn't by any chance the one who wrote this article, is she? http://www.xojane.com/fun/im-terminally-nice-except-when-im-on-my-bike. Real special snowflake, that one ::) (warning: potential non-Ehell-appropriate language, particularly in the comments).

At least the commentors are ripping her a new one.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

goldilocks

« Reply #24997 on: January 09, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
The undergrads are back in town and fail to remember that you can't walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk, you have to look both ways before crossing a street, you have to cross with the light, you can't meander slowly across the diagonal of an intersection, at a busy street you really should walk down 20 feet and cross in the crosswalk, cyclists have to follow traffic rules, you shouldn't ride a bike on a sidewalk, and the list goes on and on. All of this was in the space of about 10 minutes as I attempted to run an errand on main campus, but I gave up before I became a crazy ranting person.

Don't forget the whole "bicyclists must stop at 4-way stops, just like cars do" thing. I swear we had a girl with a death-wish last year who would FLY through the busiest 4-way stop on campus. She never slowed even a bit.

A friend of mine ranted on Facebook recently about how she couldn't believe she got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. After all, she was on a bicycle! Fortunately, everyone else quickly pointed out that bikes have to follow traffic laws too, thus restoring my face in my friend's list. :)

She isn't by any chance the one who wrote this article, is she? http://www.xojane.com/fun/im-terminally-nice-except-when-im-on-my-bike. Real special snowflake, that one ::) (warning: potential non-Ehell-appropriate language, particularly in the comments).

That is more than just SS - it's dangerous.   Wasn't it in San fran last year when an elderly man died after being plowed over by a bicylist?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #24998 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
Driving to the craft store today, I think I encountered one.  There's a small diner-type restaurant right at the turn I take to get on the highway, and getting in and out of there is pretty hard.  You have to back out of your parking spot at an angle, turn your car to face outward, and then go either right or left.  Frequently, you have to wait for someone to let you in if the roads are busy. 

I stopped behind a car that was half-way out of the parking lot and half-way in the road (this wasn't the Special Snowflake, it's just a tight squeeze!), and I kept about a car length between us because when the light turned green and he came all the way out, his back bumper would have clipped my front one.

Here's where the Special Snowflake comes in.  The light was still red, and another car was backing out of its parking space.  The woman at the wheel looked at me, looked at the car-length space between us, then looked at the car in front of me.  She angled herself to follow the car in front of me, and she was still 'okay' at this point.  She might have just intended to wait until it was safe to go without cutting someone (namely me) off.  I sort of edged forward a bit, hoping she'd get the hint.  She frowned and lurched forward about a foot, then looked at me again.  I had to stop, or I would have bumped either her or the guy in front of both of us.  I shook my head in annoyance, and she had to have seen it.  I had gotten there well before she even began to back out of her space (that red light is notoriously long), and while I do let people in a lot of the time, I had gotten there first and was stalled, waiting next in line.

So, yeah.  I had no choice, and I figured, "Oh well...", but the thing that really ticked me off was, when the woman very decisively pulled in front of me she waved as if I had just let her go.  Struck me as being a bit presumptuous.

Or maybe I'm the Special Snowflake here, but I don't think so.  Maybe I was just in a bad mood.  She got her own way, at any rate (whether she deserved to or not).

eltf177

« Reply #24999 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »

At least the commentors are ripping her a new one.

I'm glad to see other cyclists are all over this, she's exactly the sort of clown that gives all cyclists a bad name!

MissRose

« Reply #25000 on: January 10, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
I know where I am we are cleaning up after the snow but at the same time some people have forgotten how to drive.  I know the drifts are piled high in spots causing issues with people being able to see.  I was going from my bible study class and stopping to get some supper when I got close to the place I wanted to go to.  The person had the front nose of their car partly out in the right lane about 5 feet or so.  Good thing there was no one behind me and I had to motion to the SS to turn one way or the other.   Some people might have simply clipped off the front of the car instead of making him move.

o_gal

« Reply #25001 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »
Driving to the craft store today, I think I encountered one.  There's a small diner-type restaurant right at the turn I take to get on the highway, and getting in and out of there is pretty hard.  You have to back out of your parking spot at an angle, turn your car to face outward, and then go either right or left.  Frequently, you have to wait for someone to let you in if the roads are busy. 

I stopped behind a car that was half-way out of the parking lot and half-way in the road (this wasn't the Special Snowflake, it's just a tight squeeze!), and I kept about a car length between us because when the light turned green and he came all the way out, his back bumper would have clipped my front one.

Here's where the Special Snowflake comes in.  The light was still red, and another car was backing out of its parking space.  The woman at the wheel looked at me, looked at the car-length space between us, then looked at the car in front of me.  She angled herself to follow the car in front of me, and she was still 'okay' at this point.  She might have just intended to wait until it was safe to go without cutting someone (namely me) off.  I sort of edged forward a bit, hoping she'd get the hint.  She frowned and lurched forward about a foot, then looked at me again.  I had to stop, or I would have bumped either her or the guy in front of both of us.  I shook my head in annoyance, and she had to have seen it.  I had gotten there well before she even began to back out of her space (that red light is notoriously long), and while I do let people in a lot of the time, I had gotten there first and was stalled, waiting next in line.

So, yeah.  I had no choice, and I figured, "Oh well...", but the thing that really ticked me off was, when the woman very decisively pulled in front of me she waved as if I had just let her go.  Struck me as being a bit presumptuous.

Or maybe I'm the Special Snowflake here, but I don't think so.  Maybe I was just in a bad mood.  She got her own way, at any rate (whether she deserved to or not).

I think she misinterpreted your actions. I don't think she interpreted hanging back a car length as you giving the other driver room to make his turn. I think she interpreted it as you leaving enough space for her to get out (which is why she waved at you). I don't think she caught her head shake in the way you intended. Instead, if it was me, I would have honked the horn very loudly at her when she made her first move, and then vigorously shook my head "no". She still could have insisted on getting in front, but that would put her firmly in the SS camp.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25002 on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
One of my pet peeves when there's a lot of snow is when the plows pile it high in parking lots, making it hard to see around them to tell if there's any traffic coming before you pull out into the main lane/road.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #25003 on: January 10, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

I think she misinterpreted your actions. I don't think she interpreted hanging back a car length as you giving the other driver room to make his turn. I think she interpreted it as you leaving enough space for her to get out (which is why she waved at you). I don't think she caught her head shake in the way you intended. Instead, if it was me, I would have honked the horn very loudly at her when she made her first move, and then vigorously shook my head "no". She still could have insisted on getting in front, but that would put her firmly in the SS camp.

Probably was a misunderstanding.  It just didn't seem like it at the time.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #25004 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
One of my pet peeves when there's a lot of snow is when the plows pile it high in parking lots, making it hard to see around them to tell if there's any traffic coming before you pull out into the main lane/road.

Agreed! Of course it feels like right now that we're running out of places to put it.  ;D

Also, I'd like to call Mother Nature a Special Snowflake for the freezing rain, sub-arctic temperatures, and feet of snow, all in a few weeks' time. I know she's reminding us that she's the boss, but, well, now I have 'snow shoveler's elbow.'  ;)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.