Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5285980 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25005 on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
One of my pet peeves when there's a lot of snow is when the plows pile it high in parking lots, making it hard to see around them to tell if there's any traffic coming before you pull out into the main lane/road.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #25006 on: January 10, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
Driving to the craft store today, I think I encountered one.  There's a small diner-type restaurant right at the turn I take to get on the highway, and getting in and out of there is pretty hard.  You have to back out of your parking spot at an angle, turn your car to face outward, and then go either right or left.  Frequently, you have to wait for someone to let you in if the roads are busy. 

I stopped behind a car that was half-way out of the parking lot and half-way in the road (this wasn't the Special Snowflake, it's just a tight squeeze!), and I kept about a car length between us because when the light turned green and he came all the way out, his back bumper would have clipped my front one.

Here's where the Special Snowflake comes in.  The light was still red, and another car was backing out of its parking space.  The woman at the wheel looked at me, looked at the car-length space between us, then looked at the car in front of me.  She angled herself to follow the car in front of me, and she was still 'okay' at this point.  She might have just intended to wait until it was safe to go without cutting someone (namely me) off.  I sort of edged forward a bit, hoping she'd get the hint.  She frowned and lurched forward about a foot, then looked at me again.  I had to stop, or I would have bumped either her or the guy in front of both of us.  I shook my head in annoyance, and she had to have seen it.  I had gotten there well before she even began to back out of her space (that red light is notoriously long), and while I do let people in a lot of the time, I had gotten there first and was stalled, waiting next in line.

So, yeah.  I had no choice, and I figured, "Oh well...", but the thing that really ticked me off was, when the woman very decisively pulled in front of me she waved as if I had just let her go.  Struck me as being a bit presumptuous.

Or maybe I'm the Special Snowflake here, but I don't think so.  Maybe I was just in a bad mood.  She got her own way, at any rate (whether she deserved to or not).

I think she misinterpreted your actions. I don't think she interpreted hanging back a car length as you giving the other driver room to make his turn. I think she interpreted it as you leaving enough space for her to get out (which is why she waved at you). I don't think she caught her head shake in the way you intended. Instead, if it was me, I would have honked the horn very loudly at her when she made her first move, and then vigorously shook my head "no". She still could have insisted on getting in front, but that would put her firmly in the SS camp.

Probably was a misunderstanding.  It just didn't seem like it at the time.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #25007 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
One of my pet peeves when there's a lot of snow is when the plows pile it high in parking lots, making it hard to see around them to tell if there's any traffic coming before you pull out into the main lane/road.

Agreed! Of course it feels like right now that we're running out of places to put it.  ;D

Also, I'd like to call Mother Nature a Special Snowflake for the freezing rain, sub-arctic temperatures, and feet of snow, all in a few weeks' time. I know she's reminding us that she's the boss, but, well, now I have 'snow shoveler's elbow.'  ;)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25008 on: January 11, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
Last night while leaving a restaurant, I came across three SS's.  They were walking three abreast down the sidewalk, taking up all available space, and refused to make room for my DH and I until the very last minute, with much grumbling about "people who won't move out of the way". 

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25009 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »
This is part special snowflake, part incredibly entitled, absolutely flabbergasting *long string of profanities here*...

Background: parents and I moved several states away from the house we'd lived in for 20-odd years due to a job opportunity. For a while, a very unsavory friend of my sister's was living there who trashed the house, stole 95% of our things to either keep for herself or pawn off for what was most likely drug money, and Did Not Want To Get Out. She finally did get out, and now my sister and her new husband are living there. There is also a handicapped parking spot on the curb in front of the house, which we had put in back in the 90s.

Well, sister just called mom with a piece of horrifying news. The next door neighbor (who has also lived there for eHell only knows how long, sister and neighbor grew up together, as did I and neighbor's younger brother), who owns somewhere in the neighborhood of seven to twelve completely junked cars that barely run - or in some cases, not at all - has officially run out of parking spaces for his rustbuckets. (This after parking three in the driveway/garage and several in the back yard, which the city does not take very kindly to!) Therefore, he has somehow guilted, blackmailed, threatened, or otherwise coerced his father, who is very ill with cancer and somehow forced to pay rent to his son in order to live in his own house, into helping him remove the handicapped parking signs at the curb so he can have that spot for another junkheap.

Yes. You read that right. He's trying to remove our handicapped parking signs, which is very illegal, so he can park some unsightly bucket of bolts in the space that sister's disabled husband needs to use.

Sister is now going to be keeping a camera on her at all times so she can get proof of this, because the city is not going to look kindly on these antics At All.

The fallout will be hideous, I'm sure.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

NyaChan

« Reply #25010 on: January 11, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »
This is part special snowflake, part incredibly entitled, absolutely flabbergasting *long string of profanities here*...

Background: parents and I moved several states away from the house we'd lived in for 20-odd years due to a job opportunity. For a while, a very unsavory friend of my sister's was living there who trashed the house, stole 95% of our things to either keep for herself or pawn off for what was most likely drug money, and Did Not Want To Get Out. She finally did get out, and now my sister and her new husband are living there. There is also a handicapped parking spot on the curb in front of the house, which we had put in back in the 90s.

Well, sister just called mom with a piece of horrifying news. The next door neighbor (who has also lived there for eHell only knows how long, sister and neighbor grew up together, as did I and neighbor's younger brother), who owns somewhere in the neighborhood of seven to twelve completely junked cars that barely run - or in some cases, not at all - has officially run out of parking spaces for his rustbuckets. (This after parking three in the driveway/garage and several in the back yard, which the city does not take very kindly to!) Therefore, he has somehow guilted, blackmailed, threatened, or otherwise coerced his father, who is very ill with cancer and somehow forced to pay rent to his son in order to live in his own house, into helping him remove the handicapped parking signs at the curb so he can have that spot for another junkheap.

Yes. You read that right. He's trying to remove our handicapped parking signs, which is very illegal, so he can park some unsightly bucket of bolts in the space that sister's disabled husband needs to use.

Sister is now going to be keeping a camera on her at all times so she can get proof of this, because the city is not going to look kindly on these antics At All.

That is infuriating.  Did he already try to do it - is that how she knows?

kajunchick

« Reply #25011 on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
I don't know if this would be considered a special snowflake, but it certainly irritated me! Today I was stopped at a regular stop sign (not a 4-way) and I had my blinker on to turn left. The car stopped across from me was going straight. He tried to wave me on through the intersection! I just shook my head and waited until he went across. I know people think they are being nice, but that is incredibly dangerous. Just because I got there first, does not mean it's my "turn". It's not a 4-way stop, people! This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25012 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »

That is infuriating.  Did he already try to do it - is that how she knows?

Yes, she caught them at it. She did call the police - they were Very Displeased, they're going to have someone from the city come out and fix the sign that was damaged and neighbor is going to be in very deep excrement. Serves him right.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

deadbody

« Reply #25013 on: January 11, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
I don't know if this would be considered a special snowflake, but it certainly irritated me! Today I was stopped at a regular stop sign (not a 4-way) and I had my blinker on to turn left. The car stopped across from me was going straight. He tried to wave me on through the intersection! I just shook my head and waited until he went across. I know people think they are being nice, but that is incredibly dangerous. Just because I got there first, does not mean it's my "turn". It's not a 4-way stop, people! This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

We had the opposite, we were at a stop sign going straight, and the person across from us was turning left.  When it was clear we started to go and almost hit her as she rushed a left.  She was at the intersection first, but the law says that you lose right of way if turning left, she should have deferred to us.  Oh well, the cursing and finger waving she did at us for having the audacity of almost hitting her will make her feel better I'm sure.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #25014 on: January 11, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »
I get irritated by people not following right of way rules.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25015 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »
I get irritated by people not following right of way rules.

Me too especially when not following rules can cause accidents and back traffic up. 

Cherry91

« Reply #25016 on: January 12, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
Last night while leaving a restaurant, I came across three SS's.  They were walking three abreast down the sidewalk, taking up all available space, and refused to make room for my DH and I until the very last minute, with much grumbling about "people who won't move out of the way".

Ugh, people who completely block a path are infuriating. And when you try and get past, they "accidentally" manage to move so they're still blocking you, and if you ask them to move, they "mysteriously" develop the inability to hear you, in spite of the fact that you're right behind them. And somehow you're the rude one for not being willing to get stuck behind them for hours.

Another one that drives me batty is people who stop, either suddenly or for great lengths of time in doorways, and then get irritated when people need to get through. It's a door. There's a clue that it's a bad place to stop. MOVE.

poundcake

« Reply #25017 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »

Mine too! I had one of the most frightening "near miss" accidents when I was much younger, and much less assertive. Someone insistently waved me ahead, even though it wasn't my turn. I couldn't see around him, either, but he kept frantically gesturing for me to go. So I did, and almost collided with the car on his other side that I didn't see, making a right-of-way turn that would have been perfectly safe and legal had the regular rules of the road been in play. Now, I don't care how "nice" someone's being or how frantically they wave. If I can't see, I'm not going to just trust you that it's clear. And if it's not my turn, I'm not going FOR A REASON.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25018 on: January 12, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

It bothers me greatly when people come up out of the Subway and stop dead right at the head of the stairs.  There's plenty to move aside and let others get past.  Do it! 

daisy1679

« Reply #25019 on: January 12, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »

We had the opposite, we were at a stop sign going straight, and the person across from us was turning left.  When it was clear we started to go and almost hit her as she rushed a left.  She was at the intersection first, but the law says that you lose right of way if turning left, she should have deferred to us.  Oh well, the cursing and finger waving she did at us for having the audacity of almost hitting her will make her feel better I'm sure.

Actually, in my state the same right-of-way rules apply to a two-way stop for the cars with the stop signs (obviously, vehicles without the sign have the right-of-way first). So that person turning left would have had the right-of-way over you, by virtue of being there first. Otherwise, that poor person turning left could be stuck there all day if there was heavy traffic coming from the opposite direction, if they had to wait until there were no cars at all.