Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5295531 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25020 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
I don't know if this would be considered a special snowflake, but it certainly irritated me! Today I was stopped at a regular stop sign (not a 4-way) and I had my blinker on to turn left. The car stopped across from me was going straight. He tried to wave me on through the intersection! I just shook my head and waited until he went across. I know people think they are being nice, but that is incredibly dangerous. Just because I got there first, does not mean it's my "turn". It's not a 4-way stop, people! This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

We had the opposite, we were at a stop sign going straight, and the person across from us was turning left.  When it was clear we started to go and almost hit her as she rushed a left.  She was at the intersection first, but the law says that you lose right of way if turning left, she should have deferred to us.  Oh well, the cursing and finger waving she did at us for having the audacity of almost hitting her will make her feel better I'm sure.

Actually, in my state the same right-of-way rules apply to a two-way stop for the cars with the stop signs (obviously, vehicles without the sign have the right-of-way first). So that person turning left would have had the right-of-way over you, by virtue of being there first. Otherwise, that poor person turning left could be stuck there all day if there was heavy traffic coming from the opposite direction, if they had to wait until there were no cars at all.

In my state, the driver who's there first also goes first: "Always yield to any driver already at or in an intersection," from the official state site. I live in a high-density state (NJ), and if left-turners went last it would be a lot of traffic back-up!

Elisabunny

« Reply #25021 on: January 12, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
I don't know if this would be considered a special snowflake, but it certainly irritated me! Today I was stopped at a regular stop sign (not a 4-way) and I had my blinker on to turn left. The car stopped across from me was going straight. He tried to wave me on through the intersection! I just shook my head and waited until he went across. I know people think they are being nice, but that is incredibly dangerous. Just because I got there first, does not mean it's my "turn". It's not a 4-way stop, people! This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

We had the opposite, we were at a stop sign going straight, and the person across from us was turning left.  When it was clear we started to go and almost hit her as she rushed a left.  She was at the intersection first, but the law says that you lose right of way if turning left, she should have deferred to us.  Oh well, the cursing and finger waving she did at us for having the audacity of almost hitting her will make her feel better I'm sure.

Actually, in my state the same right-of-way rules apply to a two-way stop for the cars with the stop signs (obviously, vehicles without the sign have the right-of-way first). So that person turning left would have had the right-of-way over you, by virtue of being there first. Otherwise, that poor person turning left could be stuck there all day if there was heavy traffic coming from the opposite direction, if they had to wait until there were no cars at all.

In my state, the driver who's there first also goes first: "Always yield to any driver already at or in an intersection," from the official state site. I live in a high-density state (NJ), and if left-turners went last it would be a lot of traffic back-up!

That's how it is in my state too: the car that gets there first has right of way.  If two cars arrive at the same time, THEN the one going straight has right of way.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25022 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »

That's how it is in my state too: the car that gets there first has right of way.  If two cars arrive at the same time, THEN the one going straight has right of way.

I thought it was that way everywhere.  I guess when I drive in other states, I may be disobeying the local laws! 

o_gal

« Reply #25023 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »

Mine too! I had one of the most frightening "near miss" accidents when I was much younger, and much less assertive. Someone insistently waved me ahead, even though it wasn't my turn. I couldn't see around him, either, but he kept frantically gesturing for me to go. So I did, and almost collided with the car on his other side that I didn't see, making a right-of-way turn that would have been perfectly safe and legal had the regular rules of the road been in play. Now, I don't care how "nice" someone's being or how frantically they wave. If I can't see, I'm not going to just trust you that it's clear. And if it's not my turn, I'm not going FOR A REASON.

Definitely a good policy to have. I had just bought my new car 4 months earlier when I drove it to a event at the local high school. There are 2 lanes going east on the road toward the school, and 1 lane going west, away from it. Very popular event at the school, so traffic was backed up solid in the right lane. I was going past all that traffic in the left lane, because I was going to go past the school and then park in the far parking lot.

Since there was no one going the opposite direction at the time, a driver in the right lane waved a young girl out so she could make a left turn. Right in front of me - bam! Nothing I could do, and I think I left maybe 10 feet of skidmarks from trying to brake. I nailed her front driver's side quarter panel and left her car undrivable, now blocking both lanes and part of the opposite direction lane. Police were called, but the young girl actually left the scene of the accident, to go down the street to get her dad. She's lucky she got back by the time the police made it to our location.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25024 on: January 12, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »

My too ( first car has right of way) you are suppose to stop fully for 3 full seconds so a person who arrived first should be either done turning or well into the intersection before you are actually suppose to start to move.    IF 2 people arrive less then a second apart I'm a little more leery  turning left even if its is my right of way.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25025 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »
This may not be true everywhere - depending on local laws.

But in training as an insurance adjuster in the USA, we were firmly told that whoever waved someone into the road could be held legally responsible for any ensuing accident, if they could be tracked down.

I've heard of one guy who was asked by the police at the scene of an accident about why he waved someone in front of him when traffic was NOT clear - he said that he was trying to get fresher air in front of his face after a "gas leak" (the kind some people try to blame on the dog)...he hadn't been waving at anyone!

I've also been an adjuster where someone claimed to have been waved into traffic while they were trying to make a left turn at a similar situation.  But since I had driven by that high school before moving to the place where I got the job as an adjuster, I knew that the left turn lane had been cemented in with a raised "hump", the hump painted yellow, and "No Left Turn" signs posted on the hump and the exit from the parking lot to the highway - because it just wasn't safe to try to make left turns out of the high school.  The name of that road was "the Dieway" - so making right turns wasn't much safer.  There was a LOT of traffic there....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:40:58 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25026 on: January 12, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
This may not be true everywhere - depending on local laws.

But in training as an insurance adjuster in the USA, we were firmly told that whoever waved someone into the road could be held legally responsible for any ensuing accident, if they could be tracked down.

I've heard of one guy who was asked by the police at the scene of an accident about why he waved someone in front of him when traffic was NOT clear - he said that he was trying to get fresher air in front of his face after a "gas leak" (the kind some people try to blame on the dog)...he hadn't been waving at anyone!

I've also been an adjuster where someone claimed to have been waved into traffic while they were trying to make a left turn at a similar situation.  But since I had driven by that high school before moving to the place where I got the job as an adjuster, I knew that the left turn lane had been cemented in with a raised "hump", the hump painted yellow, and "No Left Turn" signs posted on the hump and the exit from the parking lot to the highway - because it just wasn't safe to try to make left turns out of the high school.  The name of that road was "the Dieway" - so making right turns wasn't much safer.  There was a LOT of traffic there....

I shouldn't laugh at that, but I couldn't help it. My late MIL once had an accident like that. She was turning left and swore the other driver "waved" to her to go. Thing is, it was a busy road, and I find it very difficult to believe that. Also, she was a horrible driver. They used to live in the panhandle of FL (AKA, "Floribama"). Once she took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of Alabama! And the worst: she drove straight through a construction zone, through traffic cones and those flashing lights, and the workers dove in all directions to avoid being hit. Yeah, she was a menace on the road!  :o

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #25027 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
I've been reading ehell for years but never ran across a movie theater SS--until yesterday.

I took DD to Frozen for the second time. The theater was surprisingly busy, considering how long the film has been out. Anyhow, it was pretty packed. A couple with three kids sat behind us. The mom bickered with the two older kids about passing popcorn, getting situated, etc., which was a little annoying as they'd arrived right as the previews started to roll. Then she and the husband discussed some of the movie previews, loud enough for me to hear them. But ok, the movie hadn't started yet.

Their youngest was older than a baby, but not quite a toddler--probably 18 months or so. He sat on Dad's knee for the first half of the movie, and was kind of noisy. Again, ok, it's a kid's movie, and happy baby noises are fine. But both his parents started asking him questions that they expected him to respond to, and cooed at him when he did..."What noise do horsies make?" "Oooh, isn't her dress pretty?" "Can you say snow? Yes, snow! Aww, so cute!"

So about 2/3 of the way through the movie, I heard the mom say, "Someone has poopy pants!" My first thought was, "Great! I'll get a few minutes of quiet." Then I heard velcro ripping, and look over to see the baby standing with his face 5 inches from my DD's head. This made him extra excited, and he started squealing and shouting. Yup. Mom is changing his diaper in the middle of the packed movie theater.  :o

When the movie ended, the mom burst in to song during the credits. I couldn't help but think of the poster with the tap-dancing MIL.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25028 on: January 12, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Last night while leaving a restaurant, I came across three SS's.  They were walking three abreast down the sidewalk, taking up all available space, and refused to make room for my DH and I until the very last minute, with much grumbling about "people who won't move out of the way".

It bothers me greatly when people come up out of the Subway and stop dead right at the head of the stairs.  There's plenty to move aside and let others get past.  Do it!
Or stop right In front of escalators

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25029 on: January 12, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
Last night while leaving a restaurant, I came across three SS's.  They were walking three abreast down the sidewalk, taking up all available space, and refused to make room for my DH and I until the very last minute, with much grumbling about "people who won't move out of the way".

It bothers me greatly when people come up out of the Subway and stop dead right at the head of the stairs.  There's plenty to move aside and let others get past.  Do it!

When Loren and Brett were little but big enough to get on and off escalators by themselves, I would pick a target past the end of the escalators and tell them to get off and walk to that thing. Well I had had them during the day for the better part of a week and we had been to a bunch of places with escalators. Then BIL took them some place that weekend with escalators they hit the landing area and walked several feet to the nearest large object (A fountain I think he said). He wasn't expecting it - and thought they were just taking off. Loren told something to the effect of but Aunt Kimbie said to walk away from escalators so the people behind you don't trip over you. He was find with it after he realized they weren't just taking off - but said "You teach my kids the craziest things" (Said in good humor). (Sis recongized it when he told her because our dad did the same thing)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25030 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »

I confess: I gently pushed someone who did that once. It was Macy's Herald Square, in the holiday rush. And the escalators were PACKED. And this party of people (whom I suspect were tourists, or near-tourists, by their gawking and indecision) stopped right--I mean RIGHT--off the escalators. The man was directly in front of me, and the step was pushing me onto the floor.

There wasn't time for me to say, "Excuse me," and have him (1) realize someone was talking to him; (2) stop his sentence to his companion; (3) turn around and say, "yes?"; and then for me to say (4) "could you keep going? Someone's going to get hurt."

I put my hand out into the small of his back and just kept moving forward at the escalator's pace, pressing gently. He responded to that immediately by moving, and then turned, and THEN I smiled and said, "I'm sorry, it's crowded," and kept moving out of the way.

Rude, yes, but safety trumps etiquette. We could have had a lot of injured people, because that elevator was totally packed, and there were *three* of them, and there was no way for me to get around them at all.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25031 on: January 12, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
The SS woman who kept a cigarette in her mouth the entire time she shopped at local warehouse club. Smoking is not allowed inside any business but a bar in my state. I had a few double takes as I passed by her.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25032 on: January 12, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »

I confess: I gently pushed someone who did that once. It was Macy's Herald Square, in the holiday rush. And the escalators were PACKED. And this party of people (whom I suspect were tourists, or near-tourists, by their gawking and indecision) stopped right--I mean RIGHT--off the escalators. The man was directly in front of me, and the step was pushing me onto the floor.

There wasn't time for me to say, "Excuse me," and have him (1) realize someone was talking to him; (2) stop his sentence to his companion; (3) turn around and say, "yes?"; and then for me to say (4) "could you keep going? Someone's going to get hurt."

I put my hand out into the small of his back and just kept moving forward at the escalator's pace, pressing gently. He responded to that immediately by moving, and then turned, and THEN I smiled and said, "I'm sorry, it's crowded," and kept moving out of the way.

Rude, yes, but safety trumps etiquette. We could have had a lot of injured people, because that elevator was totally packed, and there were *three* of them, and there was no way for me to get around them at all.
I've done the same. I also use a similar tactic to protect my feet. I always wear pretty solid shoes, but even with that protection getting stepped on can cause painful fissuring because of my skin condition. My parents taught me to put my forearm in front of me palm towards me in crowded situations. If someone "gets in my box" I use that arm to define my space. Usually it is someone backing up, and technically I don't touch/push them the pressure is caused by them backing into me.  I just apologize saying I that I have a "problem with my feet". I can't remember anyone getting upset. I think the key is using the back of my hand not the palm. Back of hand = they ran into me. Palm = me touching them in most people's minds.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PeterM

« Reply #25033 on: January 12, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
I'm going to nominate a recent patron at my library. A large percentage of our patrons are coughing and sniffling these days, which is fine. People have to live their lives even when they're sick. This woman took it to a new level, though. She was coughing and sneezing as she came up to the desk, and told my colleague, unasked, that the entire senior living facility where she resides has been quarantined because of the flu.

My colleague, after a moment, asked, "Then why are you here?"

"Oh, they had to let me out for a doctor's appointment."

Apparently she thought that was the perfect time to do some errands, including a trip to a public building where an extremely large percentage of the patrons fit into the "high risk" category for flu by being very old or very young.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25034 on: January 13, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
Reminds me of when I worked at the library and we had a little boy come in and ask to use the computers--during the school day.  We'll call the truant officer over non-homeschoolers who are at the library during school hours, plus this boy was very young to be at the library by himself.  The librarian asked him why he was there, and he said that his father had dropped him off after they'd been to the doctor's office.  The father was not in the library.  So she asked the boy for his father's cell phone number and called the father.  Turns out that the father had taken the boy to the doctor's, and the doctor had said that the boy was contagious and should not go back to school.  The father, however, had to go to work and couldn't take the boy, so he figured the boy could stay at the library until he was off work.  The disease?  Ringworm.  And, of course, he'd been using the computer.