Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5536987 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25035 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »
I'm going to nominate a recent patron at my library. A large percentage of our patrons are coughing and sniffling these days, which is fine. People have to live their lives even when they're sick. This woman took it to a new level, though. She was coughing and sneezing as she came up to the desk, and told my colleague, unasked, that the entire senior living facility where she resides has been quarantined because of the flu.

My colleague, after a moment, asked, "Then why are you here?"

"Oh, they had to let me out for a doctor's appointment."

Apparently she thought that was the perfect time to do some errands, including a trip to a public building where an extremely large percentage of the patrons fit into the "high risk" category for flu by being very old or very young.

I would have absolutely lost it at that lady.  My LO is barely 6 months old (aka, has only been eligible to get a flu shot for a few days, and her next appointment isn't until next week), and my local library has a program that I could have started taking her to at just 1 month.  I know that every time we leave the house there's a risk of one or both of us catching something, but I do what I can do minimize the risks while staying sane and not locked up in the house.  Finding out that someone was essentially deliberately trying to make people sick by being somewhere that she didn't have to be when she had the flu would have sent me over the edge.

MindsEye

« Reply #25036 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
And the sign saga gets worse...

My sister (let's call her Nell, for simplicity's sake) woke up this morning to find that the neighbor (who we'll call, oh, Jerk) has been at the sign he was trying to remove again while she was sleeping. Now it's completely lying on the ground, the metal pole - one of those perforated ones that resembles a sort of sideways U-shape, like you generally see stop signs and the like on - either having been uprooted or broken off, I'm not entirely sure which but most likely the latter. It was sticking out a good ways into the road, but Nell managed to get the rather heavy sign completely onto the sidewalk and then promptly called the police again to give them an update.

The police are Very Not Happy, as might be expected, and as Jerk managed to completely knock down the sign, I believe they can now go after him for actually removing it, rather than just having the intent to.

It also turns out that Nell is not the only person Jerk is inconveniencing by trying to find new places for his junkers. The neighbor on Jerk's other side, who we'll call May, has no place to park her own vehicle because Jerk has taken up all the curb space in front of her house, and her driveway on the side is quite frankly not even worthy of being called a driveway, being perhaps only large enough for two bicycles side by side. May, unlike Nell, does not shy away from telling people exactly what she thinks of them, and she has repeatedly confronted Jerk about taking her parking spaces. The last time she did, Jerk laughed in her face and then got his younger brother (Grump) to threaten May every time she dared leave her house for a few weeks. May did call the police on Grump, but basically all they did was come out, tell him "stop that" and then left again, at which point May decided it just wasn't worth it and stopped trying to confront Jerk.

Now Nell's new husband (Jules) has offered to try and talk Jerk over in an attempt to get him to at least leave the signs alone. I don't think this will end well. :-\

Whoah.

You know what?  Based on what happened to May, I wouldn't bother trying to talk to Jerk at all.  Report him to the police and let them handle it.

And may I say I sincerely hope that Jerk is fined and/or arrested?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #25037 on: January 13, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
And the sign saga gets worse...

My sister (let's call her Nell, for simplicity's sake) woke up this morning to find that the neighbor (who we'll call, oh, Jerk) has been at the sign he was trying to remove again while she was sleeping. Now it's completely lying on the ground, the metal pole - one of those perforated ones that resembles a sort of sideways U-shape, like you generally see stop signs and the like on - either having been uprooted or broken off, I'm not entirely sure which but most likely the latter. It was sticking out a good ways into the road, but Nell managed to get the rather heavy sign completely onto the sidewalk and then promptly called the police again to give them an update.

The police are Very Not Happy, as might be expected, and as Jerk managed to completely knock down the sign, I believe they can now go after him for actually removing it, rather than just having the intent to.

It also turns out that Nell is not the only person Jerk is inconveniencing by trying to find new places for his junkers. The neighbor on Jerk's other side, who we'll call May, has no place to park her own vehicle because Jerk has taken up all the curb space in front of her house, and her driveway on the side is quite frankly not even worthy of being called a driveway, being perhaps only large enough for two bicycles side by side. May, unlike Nell, does not shy away from telling people exactly what she thinks of them, and she has repeatedly confronted Jerk about taking her parking spaces. The last time she did, Jerk laughed in her face and then got his younger brother (Grump) to threaten May every time she dared leave her house for a few weeks. May did call the police on Grump, but basically all they did was come out, tell him "stop that" and then left again, at which point May decided it just wasn't worth it and stopped trying to confront Jerk.

Now Nell's new husband (Jules) has offered to try and talk Jerk over in an attempt to get him to at least leave the signs alone. I don't think this will end well. :-\

Whoah.

You know what?  Based on what happened to May, I wouldn't bother trying to talk to Jerk at all.  Report him to the police and let them handle it.

And may I say I sincerely hope that Jerk is fined and/or arrested?

Do all of those junker cars have license and registration and insurance on them?  I think it's illegal to park an unregistered car on the road.   
I could be wrong, though. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25038 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »
Do all of those junker cars have license and registration and insurance on them?  I think it's illegal to park an unregistered car on the road. 

It is in my jurisdiction.  It probably depends on where you live but definitely something to look into.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25039 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »

It is in my jurisdiction.  It probably depends on where you live but definitely something to look into.

And possibly how long they've been sitting there.

Just make sure the cops know ALL about that, and let them handle the details.

Good luck!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #25040 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
Just about saw a car accident today a la a Snowflake. My drive to and from work is a 55 mph 30 mile stretch of almost one lane, but there's about a 2 mile gap where it becomes a 2 lane. There was a slower truck in front of me, and he moved to the right lane when the road opened up. The car behind me revved his engine and super tailgated me. I knew he wanted me to move over, but I saw the truck had just put on his right turn blinker to turn into a driveway on the right. I planned to change lanes after I had passed him.

I guess this ticked off Mr. Snowflake, who angrily revved his car and moved to the right lane. I guess he didn't see the truck, or care. I saw there wasn't going to be enough time for him to pass me and get back in the left lane before the truck turned, so I slowed down a little to allow him space to do so. Again, either he didn't notice or care, because he didn't change lanes at all, and barely missed the truck as he passed--there had to be less than a foot between the ladder that was hanging out the back of the truck and this guy. I almost wish he had hit the ladder--probably wouldn't have done huuuge damage, and it would have tought him a lesson.  >:(

I don't know what the hurry was, he slowed back down to slightly over the speed limit shortly after the road became 1 lane again, and didn't pass any of the slower cars in front of him.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25041 on: January 13, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »

I doubt they do, Jerk isn't too concerned about legalities (as may be obvious.) Thing is, the cops there...are not exactly the best. They've been out to yell at Jerk before, but haven't actually DONE anything, or even planned to do anything until now. Apparently going after the handicapped signs was just enough to make even the most awful cop go "well, time to do something about this guy."

I'm hoping too that he gets at least fined and hopefully arrested, MindsEye. A blind eye has been turned to the jerk for far too long.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25042 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
I like that "forearm barrier" trick, kherbert!

Part of the reason I put my arm out was that I was going to be pushed into the guy, full body, w/ contact on the upper body first. Which would probably have made him (and me) lean, thereby putting us at risk to being literally knocked over.

That single point of contact lower on his torso got him to move while he still had his balance (and I still had mine).

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25043 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »
We had a SS snowbird on the news tonight. Mr Snowbird has a first floor condo on the backside of a beachfront building. So his sliding patio door and his neighbors' patio doors are right at the top of a sand dune, with a small patch of cement patio in between. He wants more sand on the dunes, to protect his condo from hurricanes. He said he doesn't expect protection from a 28 foot swell, but at least from a 5 to 10 foot swell. And he is worried his condo won't be protected from a category 4 or 5 hurricane if the dune isn't built up with more sand. The Army Corp of Engineers regularly builds the dunes back up with more sand, but they can only do so much.  It's just a fact of life here that 1st floor beach view = you will eventually deal with a hurricane evacuation & come home to a mess, no matter how much sand gets piled up.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25044 on: January 13, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »

I got a bit spooked at our old apartment complex once when I came out to find practically every car parked around mine in a small area of the lot labeled with "tow" stickers - except for mine.  Then I looked more closely, and realized that, out of all of the cars in that area, mine was the only one with up to date registration.

poundcake

« Reply #25045 on: January 14, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »
Last night while leaving a restaurant, I came across three SS's.  They were walking three abreast down the sidewalk, taking up all available space, and refused to make room for my DH and I until the very last minute, with much grumbling about "people who won't move out of the way".

It bothers me greatly when people come up out of the Subway and stop dead right at the head of the stairs.  There's plenty to move aside and let others get past.  Do it!
Or stop right In front of escalators

I confess: I gently pushed someone who did that once. <snip>

I confess, I do that regularly. I (depending on the time of year) live in/visit an escalator-heavy city with a lot of tourists. You simply cannot stop at the top of the escalators/underground and pull out your iPhone map, or start taking pictures, or even just bumble around going "Wow, look at this!" So if they are blocking the escalators, I do the "gentle push" to one side, sometimes adding a "You need to move out of the way, there are other people here." I'm baffled that people are this completely oblivious!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25046 on: January 14, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »

I got a bit spooked at our old apartment complex once when I came out to find practically every car parked around mine in a small area of the lot labeled with "tow" stickers - except for mine.  Then I looked more closely, and realized that, out of all of the cars in that area, mine was the only one with up to date registration.

Are you talking about state registration? Here in my state you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for non-registration unless you were actively driving the car. But you could be towed in my city if you didn't move a car in 48 hours in a public parking lot.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25047 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »

Are you talking about state registration? Here in my state you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for non-registration unless you were actively driving the car. But you could be towed in my city if you didn't move a car in 48 hours in a public parking lot.

I know in my last apartment complex as part of your lease, you had to keep up to date state registration on any vehicle parked on the property. If it wasn't up to date, they could tow you. It wasn't a ticket, but since it was private property they were free to have it towed away if you don't follow the parking rules they lined out.

I got a tow sticker one day and I went to find out why, they told me it was because of my out of date registration. My registration was up to date, but my sticker hadn't come in the mail yet. I had to fight with them about not towing my car, since technically I followed the rules.

laughtermed

« Reply #25048 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Someone posted earlier they never lend their Kindle to anyone. Well, I used to work with a group of people who prided themselves on owning the latest and greatest electronic devices. However, they would see me reading the paper at lunch I would bring with me each day. Some would say, oh, I got rid of my subscription, I  get all the news I need to know on the Internet...and then would request to borrow my paper! I should have said you can have my paper as long as I can borrow your Kindle or I-phone. I really just fibbed and said my kid needed it for school assignments so I had to take it home.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25049 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »
Update the third on the sign saga: it's gotten WORSE!!

The par officer Nell's been in contact with came out to have a look at the sign today (it was in fact broken off - so there's a very sharp bit of metal pole sticking out the sidewalk now.) Nell and Jules had taped a plastic drink cup over the top of the pole so any kids walking by wouldn't hurt themselves if they arsed around and fell on it, but Jerk had removed the cup. (Really...seven houses down from a middle school...is he TRYING to get people hurt??) Jerk is also insisting, despite the one remaining sign and the full knowledge that what he's doing is very, very illegal, that the space is, in fact, not a PRIVATE space but a PUBLIC one, so he has full rights to use it.

Yeah, my head just about hit the desk at that one too. ???

Par officer reassured Nell that she and Jules are doing exactly the right thing trying to keep that broken pole capped off, and presumably laid into Jerk at some point about his junktastic cars - he's been forced to move at least two of them, including the one blocking the curb right in front of May's house. So it sounds like things are starting to get a little better, right?

Well, the par officer also told Nell something VERY interesting, after Nell mentioned she, Jules, and my six-year-old niece (who we'll call Asha) are living there right now - I'm not entirely sure how it came up, I think it had something to do with Nell being unable to get her car out of the driveway to take Asha to school.

One of the people living in Jerk's house is a registered s*x offender.

(I rather suspect it's Jerk himself, from some passes he's made at me in the past and the way he used to treat Nell when she briefly dated him.)

If it can get worse than this, I really don't want to find out how. *buries face in hands*
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~