Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5085440 times)

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25065 on: January 15, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
Regarding the escalator - I live on an island with no escalators.  I must admit to stopping at the top of the one in the Miami airport.  It had been 20 years since I had seen one and honestly had to take a minute to remember how to get on one.  Silly I know but it seemed so foreign.
You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25066 on: January 15, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

I've written two ads...

Do you have what it takes to be a professional bridal party member? We're looking for people of all shapes and sizes, as brides whims are quite dramatic. Must be able to put in long nights of crafts, reassure bride that she's beautiful, agree it's her magic special princess day, and cheerfully accept all abuse hurled at you. You also must agree to not get engaged, married, pregnant, or have any other life altering changes occur during the engagement and wedding. And most important, take her side in all disagreements, even if she obviously wrong/crazy because she's not see above about the magic special princess day.

Brides, we know it's your special day! It's your day to be a princess and have the world at your feet! But how do you deal with those who disagree? We say don't! We can provide you with a well trained bridal party whose appearances fit the theme and feel of your wedding! Hire and fire without worrying about hurt feelings and resentful friends! Guaranteed to never steal the spot light from you! Call for appointments!

Heck I say we expand the business, rent out guests, MOB and MOG, maybe even the groom! And finally, finally, you'll be able to actually cast your wedding so it's the wedding of your dreams!!!!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25067 on: January 15, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
 ;D  Perfect!

doodlemor

« Reply #25068 on: January 15, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

Agency based in Stepford, of course.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25069 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

I know, right? When I got married, I had my three best friends and my husband's sister as attendants. My MOH was (and is) a bigger girl and if I had to estimate, was probably 50 pounds heavier than she "should have been." Another attendant was chubby, I guess (I feel weird even talking about them this way), another was "normal," as am I, and my SIL was skinny as a rail.

We've been married 26 years, we're still close to everyone in the wedding party, people still talk about what a wonderful time they had, I still look at the pictures and think "that was a terrific day." This may, in fact, be the first time I ever thought about anyone in the bridal party's weight/appearance.

This whole thing just boggles my mind. What if Friend hadn't had surgery, but just went on a diet? I lost a lot of weight in the last year, and I was in a wedding. I ended up being lighter than the bride, who was having a lot of weight issues. She didn't care, she was proud of what I'd done. And she was gorgeous, no matter what the relative weights were!

Miss March

« Reply #25070 on: January 15, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Pippa was rocking that bridesmaid dress, but I didn't think that she detracted in any way how lovely Kate Middleton looked at her wedding!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

poundcake

« Reply #25071 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25072 on: January 15, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

MrTango

« Reply #25073 on: January 15, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
It boggles my mind, the way some brides react about their friends' appearances. If I were getting married, I'd be quite content to have friends to walk with me. Not thinner friends, fatter friends, more presentable friends. If you want to be the cynosure of all eyes, do away with the bridesmaids completely.

My MOH was 8 months pregnant and still smaller than me. I didn't care!

LadyTango's MOH was going to be 5 months along at the time of our wedding.  Apparently, it took some careful guesswork to determine how to make the alterations on her dress.  They did a great job, and in all the photos, it fit her just fine.

snowfire

« Reply #25074 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »

My MOH was 8 months pregnant and still smaller than me. I didn't care!

LadyTango's MOH was going to be 5 months along at the time of our wedding.  Apparently, it took some careful guesswork to determine how to make the alterations on her dress.  They did a great job, and in all the photos, it fit her just fine.

When we got married we didn't know if my MOH was going to be 9 months pregnant or with baby in arms.  We planned both ways. (I made the bridesmaids dresses and we waited till the last minute for hers.)  I didn't care if she was pregnant or not, she was still my cousin & I wanted her in the wedding.

Turns out she had the baby about two weeks before the wedding.  (Slight threadjack, we went to the wedding of that "baby" last year.  I'm feeling old.....)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #25075 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

Snarky Softly would use the bolded sentiments to turn it around on a Bridezilla:

Awful Zilla: "I need ugly/fat/short bridesmaids to help make me look good on my wedding day!"
Me: "Oh Honey, there aren't enough bridesmaids in the world." >:D

*gives Snarky a cookie and shoves her back in her kennel*

PS: Ugly is as ugly does.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25076 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
Do all of those junker cars have license and registration and insurance on them?  I think it's illegal to park an unregistered car on the road. 

It is in my jurisdiction.  It probably depends on where you live but definitely something to look into.

I got a bit spooked at our old apartment complex once when I came out to find practically every car parked around mine in a small area of the lot labeled with "tow" stickers - except for mine.  Then I looked more closely, and realized that, out of all of the cars in that area, mine was the only one with up to date registration.

Are you talking about state registration? Here in my state you wouldn't be able to get a ticket for non-registration unless you were actively driving the car. But you could be towed in my city if you didn't move a car in 48 hours in a public parking lot.

Most of the cars in the lot with mine had registrations that were way out of date.  The one next to my car was for 2006 (this was 2010, if I remember correctly). 

Zizi-K

« Reply #25077 on: January 15, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »

Snarky Softly would use the bolded sentiments to turn it around on a Bridezilla:

Awful Zilla: "I need ugly/fat/short bridesmaids to help make me look good on my wedding day!"

*snort* Snarky needs to be let out to play early and often.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25078 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

*snort* Snarky needs to be let out to play early and often.

Snarky VorFemme and Evil VorFemme have chocolate chip cookies made with M & M candies - so "rainbow" chocolate candies in them.  They'd be happy to have Snarky Softly over for a tea party!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25079 on: January 15, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »

I felt a little awkward about the fact that I was several inches taller than all of my bridesmaids, who were close in height.  My husband felt a little awkward about being close to the shortest of the guys (three of them much taller, his brother almost the same height).  But I wore ballet flats and let the bridesmaids pick a shoe together (they picked ones with slight heels), which minimized the difference, at least on our side.  In my ballet flats, I was about 1-2" shorter than my husband, which he appreciated for that day, at least.  :)