Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5044067 times)

Friday

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25110 on: January 17, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
I'm 5'8", my hubby is 5'4".  I always wear heels.  3-5 inches generally.

My FIL ordered me... yes, ordered, to wear flats at my wedding and to slouch.  I did indeed wear flats because ballet slippers looked wonderful and were comfy with my black dress (not first wedding!) but I did not slouch.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25111 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)

And I thank you too! I'm totally putting this in a fanfic.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #25112 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.

There was a situation in which I felt I had to choose a friend (who was having an emergency) over my family.  The family member who was negatively affected by my choice actually used the "Blood is thicker than water" line on me.  I replied "Exactly," as I left her home.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25113 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »

There was a situation in which I felt I had to choose a friend (who was having an emergency) over my family.  The family member who was negatively affected by my choice actually used the "Blood is thicker than water" line on me.  I replied "Exactly," as I left her home.
"That's why it makes that satisfying 'plop plop plop' as it drips off the kitchen table." So sayeth Heather Rose Jones.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LEMon

« Reply #25114 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
I'm 5'8", my hubby is 5'4".  I always wear heels.  3-5 inches generally.

My FIL ordered me... yes, ordered, to wear flats at my wedding and to slouch.  I did indeed wear flats because ballet slippers looked wonderful and were comfy with my black dress (not first wedding!) but I did not slouch.
Our photographer asked DH to slouch in the wedding photos.  Such a bad suggestion leads to sad (sorry they look that way) photos.

Bluenomi

« Reply #25115 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Thank goodness she planned her pregnancy around your wedding so you would look good! Or shame on her for stealing some of your spotlight by being pregnant at your wedding!

Man, it's hard to think like a Bridezilla.

She did actually plan it around my wedding but only so she wasn't due on my wedding day. She carries small so a lot of people didn't even notice she was pregnant!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25116 on: January 18, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Thank goodness she planned her pregnancy around your wedding so you would look good! Or shame on her for stealing some of your spotlight by being pregnant at your wedding!

She did actually plan it around my wedding but only so she wasn't due on my wedding day. She carries small so a lot of people didn't even notice she was pregnant!

Nobody plans their pregnancies.

They take a wild stab at it, and sometimes they get lucky. That's all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25117 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »
My mum is being a PA snowflake it seems (not that this is a news flash to me, but this time its very underhanded).

I share a house with my parents (it's my house, they are retired and live with me). I have repeatedly told my mum I don't like those plug-in mosquito vapour thingies. Maybe I'm being a snowflake myself about this, but I don't know what's in them, but I don't want to be breathing in unknown repellant chemicals for hours on end.

I had to drive home in the middle of the morning today because I had a warddrobe malfunction at work (my trouser button wasn't as firmly sewn on as I had hoped and it popped off). My parents are out and I dive into my room to change and notice that there is one of those mosquito repellant thingies plugged into the plug in my room.

Which means that my mum (knowing I really don't like those things), waits until I go to work, plugs one in and leaves it in all day and then unplugs it before I come home. Which means I've been breathing in those repellant chemicals I don't like while I sleep at nights. Thanks mum, thanks a bunch.

Wow, that would tick me off too and would have me contemplating a lock on my door and taking the only key to work with me!
If someone did that in my house - they would find the outer locks changed and their belongings outside.

It would explain why the inside of my mouth and nose were blistered, why I had been having breathing problems, and why my skin was raw and fissured, because I would have been having a massive reaction to that poison in the air. It would even have to be the ones Wolfways is talking about the air fresheners will cause the same reaction. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25118 on: January 19, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
I have a move SS to submit here.  We (being the hubby, myself and 3 boys) went to see Frozen today and sat in the back row.  In front of us was SSfamily.  Parents, a 3 year old (guessing by size) and what I am guessing was a girl about 13-14.  She was the best behaved of the four of them and I will cut the 3 year old some slack because she was 3.

The mother would talk to the 3 year old in whisper and then when the three year old responded, she'd hush her.   ::) Really, how do you expect a kid to learn to be quiet during a movie when you're talking to them the whole time?  The worst part though was when the girl started saying "I GATTA GO POTTY!!!!!!" and the mother kept telling her "Shush!" and the girl kept insisting "Gatta go potty! Gatta go potty!" each time being told to hush and wait.  It was finally the teenage sister who got up to take the little one and finally the mother got up and left. 

They came back though and the child started getting whiny but again no move was taken to minimize the disruption for anyone else.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #25119 on: January 19, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)

And I thank you too! I'm totally putting this in a fanfic.  >:D

same here.

AnnaT

« Reply #25120 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
I just want to congratulate everyone - 4,000,000 views and counting!

<cue fireworks gif> and <party hat img>

I love reading this thread - it is my absolute favourite on the forum.  :)

o_gal

« Reply #25121 on: January 21, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »

But you can plan a pregnancy, using IVF. You know exactly the day you get pregnant. It's the other end that's still mostly a crapshoot, but even then you can plan a C-section. And then see if the lil' one stays put long enough for it! :-)

MissRose

« Reply #25122 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »
I just want to congratulate everyone - 4,000,000 views and counting!

<cue fireworks gif> and <party hat img>

I love reading this thread - it is my absolute favourite on the forum.  :)

Yes it is one of my favorites as well!!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #25123 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »

In this case, it is actually quite easy to plan. She wanted to deliver after the wedding (not before) so it was quite a simple matter of not trying until only 8 months or so before the date.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25124 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

In this case, it is actually quite easy to plan. She wanted to deliver after the wedding (not before) so it was quite a simple matter of not trying until only 8 months or so before the date.

I have a son, a grandson, & a nephew who came along at 8 months (son was natural childbirth - not scheduled at all and the grandson & nephew were C-sections).  Even if IVF determines when you got pregnant (implant date), the little buggers will still throw curve balls as to when they think that they are "done".  Or sometimes, it is the doctor's decision that the baby needs to be delivered for other reasons than being "done" (I have some cousins who are short - some of the women have had the delivery scheduled based on when the baby will still fit through the mother's bone structure - 5 foot tall women with 8 pound babies don't always work out for natural delivery....some of them have the wider hips, some don't.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?