Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5081890 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25140 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
Man, it's hard to think like a Bridezilla.

Just remember, it's all about you, it's your special day, you have never had a special day before, you will never have a special day again, and this is about you.

But yeah, I've gotten conflicting information. My bridesmaids should be heavier/uglier (these two things are the same at all) then me I look thin/pretty by comparison (I look pretty all by myself thankyouverymuch). But they should also be pretty/thin (again, not the same thing), so that the pictures look good. Then I tell people some of them are dudes and almost all of visible tattoos and well my wedding is just going to be a terrible time where everyone feels welcomed and accepted and we have a good old time and don't give a hoot and a half what the pictures end up looking like because I happen to think my friends are gorgeous because they're them. I'm terrible at making this all about me too and I'm pretty convinced I'm gonna have a lot of really special days, I've already had a lot, this will be just another one.

Glitter, you are almost frighteningly awesome!

We seriously need a blush smiley! It was actually my mom who inadvertently gave me the lesson about special days. I was a teenager, maybe 15-ish, and we were watching TV, something with brides, and one of them goes on the "My super special day" rant and my mom goes "That's sad", when I ask what she's talking about she explains "That she thinks she's never had any other special days or she'll never have anymore. I've never even gotten married and I've had plenty. Having you, getting my driver's license, getting my GED, starting college...yeah...lots of special days...and more to come", a little lesson that stuck with me. I've had tons of special days, and the best part is that some of the most special ones (meeting Partner for example) started off ordinary and boring. So yeah, the wedding will be a special day, but not my one and only.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25141 on: January 24, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
I have seen that commercial and it is terrible. You met the guy, became a couple, decided to marry and went through all that effort because of a garment?  ???

Maybe they do not know that bridal shops don't bother to check if you're actually engaged? I mean, you can just go out and buy a wedding dress if you want one that bad. My grandma has bought several, to fix up and resell but still she's bought several without having to get married. And Liz did it on 30 Rock.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25142 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
It was actually my mom who inadvertently gave me the lesson about special days. I was a teenager, maybe 15-ish, and we were watching TV, something with brides, and one of them goes on the "My super special day" rant and my mom goes "That's sad", when I ask what she's talking about she explains "That she thinks she's never had any other special days or she'll never have anymore. I've never even gotten married and I've had plenty. Having you, getting my driver's license, getting my GED, starting college...yeah...lots of special days...and more to come", a little lesson that stuck with me. I've had tons of special days, and the best part is that some of the most special ones (meeting Partner for example) started off ordinary and boring. So yeah, the wedding will be a special day, but not my one and only.

This reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago.  It was prom season at a high school and all the girls were talking about nothing but.  A teacher stood in front of the class and told them all that she hoped their prom was wonderful but that it was NOT the most wonderful night of their lives.  A girl questioned her as to why she'd say such a mean thing and she told them to think about it....  if prom night was the most wonderful night of their lives, wouldn't that be just terribly sad?  To know that at their young ages, that for the rest of their lives, there'd be no more "wonderful"? 

I never forgot that story.  Glitter, your mom was awesome to teach you that lesson! It puts a lot of things into perspective.  And it makes me just want to slap every single bride that says "this will be the most wonderful day of my life."  Wow.  May as well just up and die after the guests go home because what else is there to look forward to.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25143 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
We seriously need a blush smiley!

:-[  Like this one but with a smile instead of a frown. 
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25144 on: January 24, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
We seriously need a blush smiley!

:-[  Like this one but with a smile instead of a frown.

Exactly! Cause...not a frowney moment.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #25145 on: January 24, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
I have seen that commercial and it is terrible. You met the guy, became a couple, decided to marry and went through all that effort because of a garment?  ???

Maybe they do not know that bridal shops don't bother to check if you're actually engaged? I mean, you can just go out and buy a wedding dress if you want one that bad. My grandma has bought several, to fix up and resell but still she's bought several without having to get married. And Liz did it on 30 Rock.

In my area, you have to tell the salesperson your wedding date before they will let you try on dresses.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25146 on: January 24, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »

In my area, you have to tell the salesperson your wedding date before they will let you try on dresses.

Well...you could make one up...or buy one online. Or in a thrift store! Thrift stores get a ton!

Carotte

« Reply #25147 on: January 24, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »

Well...you could make one up...or buy one online. Or in a thrift store! Thrift stores get a ton!

Or just invent one. I guess they ask future brides so that they know they're not waisting time on someone who will not buy a dress and maybe also so they know they have to point out that some of the dresses would have to be ordered in and that would take too long considering the wedding date.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25148 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »
How about that appalling ad for a chain of Bridal salons?

'it's all about your dress'.

Yeah, now that I'm actively looking for one, I signed up on their webpage.  I saw that ad and thought, "Pffft, it's all about marrying DF."  I then found a beautiful dress for $160 at a different sight.  Yeah, it's all about my dress so much I'm spending more on my bridesmaids' dresses than I am on my own.

If it's all about my dress...I'm really doing it wrong! Though I did care a lot about my dress because I really wanted to wear the one my grandma wore to marry my bio-grandpa (mom's dad), her second wedding. And if not that dress (we couldn't find it at first) then one in a similar style. But if it didn't happen, I'd still get married! We did find the dress, and grandma had one for partner, so now we both have our dresses and they cost nothing. The wedding industry is sooo mad at me...

They didn't like me either.  I made my own to get what I wanted.

BB-VA

« Reply #25149 on: January 24, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
That phrase, "The most wonderful day of my life" might be true with the addition of two words - "so far".
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25150 on: January 24, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
I agree. And I hate the emphasis on the dress. I wanted to get my dress for under $1000 and ended up getting it for under $500. :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25151 on: January 24, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

Yeah, now that I'm actively looking for one, I signed up on their webpage.  I saw that ad and thought, "Pffft, it's all about marrying DF."  I then found a beautiful dress for $160 at a different sight.  Yeah, it's all about my dress so much I'm spending more on my bridesmaids' dresses than I am on my own.

If it's all about my dress...I'm really doing it wrong! Though I did care a lot about my dress because I really wanted to wear the one my grandma wore to marry my bio-grandpa (mom's dad), her second wedding. And if not that dress (we couldn't find it at first) then one in a similar style. But if it didn't happen, I'd still get married! We did find the dress, and grandma had one for partner, so now we both have our dresses and they cost nothing. The wedding industry is sooo mad at me...
But what about the poor bridesguys?  Are you going to make them wear tuxes with big butt-bows?

So did I. The styling of the ready-made dresses available when I got married (1973) were either GWTW hoopskirt HUGE, or made you look pregnant.  Or both.  Yes, even when you are most emphatically not pregnant, and only weigh 100 pounds wringing wet!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:16:12 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #25152 on: January 24, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
A year ago a good friend and I were looking for a costume for her daughter for HS marching band matching trick or treat out fits for her DD's instrument group. 

We came across a wonderful wedding gown, absolutely simple yet beautiful, and under 50 bucks, great condition.  We talked ourselves out of it, since our DD's are only 16, and neither really dating.  But, over a year, we still mention that dress on occasion.  It was just so lovely!

And we might have been snowflake moms to hold onto that dress for several years, keeping it away from a "real" bride with a real date set and a groom, but...I kinda wish one of us had bought it. 

But then, who is to say either of our DD's would want it, and we would not force a dress on them. Still, it was...so lovely!

(we did find a costume for friend's DD, and she has some great group photos of her sectional music group.)  :)

I hope whoever did buy it used it for a real wedding (not a Halloween costume) and is very happy with all her special days. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25153 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
I agree. And I hate the emphasis on the dress. I wanted to get my dress for under $1000 and ended up getting it for under $500. :)

I got mine for less than $100 and I loved it! I got it from a department store. It was silver and had shamrocks embroidered on it. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25154 on: January 25, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »

But what about the poor bridesguys?  Are you going to make them wear tuxes with big butt-bows?

So did I. The styling of the ready-made dresses available when I got married (1973) were either GWTW hoopskirt HUGE, or made you look pregnant.  Or both.  Yes, even when you are most emphatically not pregnant, and only weigh 100 pounds wringing wet!

They're not much better now. I had to ditch the crinoline they gave me during my 1st shopping excursion, as it made every dress look like I should have been an extra in an updated version of GWTW.

Also, instead of big poofy sleeves now, they're all NO sleeves. You're lucky if you can get straps that aren't add-on spaghetti straps on a dress under $1000.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture