Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5051460 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25170 on: January 25, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #25171 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
A short one: Ma'am, please don't get huffy with me when I tell you that you'll have to stay with your kids during an R rated movie. It's the law, and I'm not going to become a felon just because you don't want to see Devil's Due.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25172 on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
Today there was a utility truck from the electric company parked in the road fixing a downed power line. They had part of one lane blocked (two lane rural highway). I was in the opposing lane, no one behind me for miles, when a pickup truck that had been sitting behind the utility truck decided that they would go around the truck RIGHT NOW. In my lane. I had to slam on my brakes and the pickup truck barely made it back into their own lane, fishtailing the whole way.

Had he waited just 10 more seconds I would've been safely past him and he could have easily gone around the truck without risking an accident.

Cherry91

« Reply #25173 on: January 26, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
A short one: Ma'am, please don't get huffy with me when I tell you that you'll have to stay with your kids during an R rated movie. It's the law, and I'm not going to become a felon just because you don't want to see Devil's Due.

I was working at a cinema when Bridesmaids came out in the UK, and the amount of  parents who tried to help their kids sneak into it was incredible. Apparently, because it was a "chick flick", they'd decided that it would be fine for their little froo froos, in spite of it being a 15.

I took to looking parents in the eyes and declaring "It starts with an explicit sex scene and doesn't get better from there." Most of them would grab their little "angels" and run out, scandalised.

(Interestingly, the other largest group going to see the film while I was working was Seniors! I'd always check they knew it was pretty rude and crude, and they were perfectly happy with that!)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25174 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:44 AM »

I was working at a cinema when Bridesmaids came out in the UK, and the amount of  parents who tried to help their kids sneak into it was incredible. Apparently, because it was a "chick flick", they'd decided that it would be fine for their little froo froos, in spite of it being a 15.

I took to looking parents in the eyes and declaring "It starts with an explicit sex scene and doesn't get better from there." Most of them would grab their little "angels" and run out, scandalised.

(Interestingly, the other largest group going to see the film while I was working was Seniors! I'd always check they knew it was pretty rude and crude, and they were perfectly happy with that!)

I once attended a scrabble toy party and to my great amusement, the ones having the most fun with it were the 90some year old women! :)  They were hilarious!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #25175 on: January 26, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »

And in some stores, if they feel your wedding date is too far away they won't let you try on dresses, either.
Considering the number of brides who change sizes before the wedding, I can see that as a practical consideration. They don't want to alter the dress when ordering a different size would have been an option.

Jocelyn

« Reply #25176 on: January 26, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »

As I ask my students, 'When are YOU planning on giving up sex?'  >:D
And I was stunned when one student said, '40. Older than that, it's just gross.' I refrained from suggesting that perhaps she was doing it wrong. ::)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25177 on: January 26, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
Snowflakeus-This-Is-My-Dream-eus

The library is open on Sundays from 1 - 5.   Stonecold thinks this is a perfect time to let "new artists" debut their sound styles.  Ai, Caramba.

Downstairs, at this very moment, a man is singing.  Well, HE thinks he is singing.  It is also clear he fancies himself a cross between Rueben Stoddard, Luciano Pavarotti and James Ingram...with some Ray Charles and James Brown thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately, his voice breaks and creaks on the high notes, he is tone deaf and the tunes are mangled by his lack of ability to hear himself....mostly all he has going for him is volume. 

Patrons have asked us to shut him up (sorry, we can't--he's a friend of the boss), have asked for aspirin and one man described it as "a dying bull having illicit relations with a goat."  My grandmother would say "If I heard that coming over the back fence, I would throw shoes at it.  He sounds like ten days of bad weather dragged through a knothole backwards."  Seriously, this is nails on the blackboard bad. 

I don't want to destroy his dream, but his dream is interfering with other people's ability to hear themselves think!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #25178 on: January 26, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

And I was stunned when one student said, '40. Older than that, it's just gross.' I refrained from suggesting that perhaps she was doing it wrong. ::)

As I was told by an 88 year old woman (while her 91 year old husband was out of their room):

"Oh Honey, you don't even know... around the 30th anniversary he just KNOWS how to set you off like a firework!"

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #25179 on: January 26, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
I'm nominating two women in the same coffee shop where I'm studying. This place is in a college town, right by campus, and I'd say about half the clientele are studying (myself included) and half are chatting quietly. Two women have each taken over a four-top table several tables apart from each other and are clearly studying. What's the special snowflake part of this? When they want to discuss a question or chat they just shout over the tables between them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25180 on: January 26, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
Snowflakeus-This-Is-My-Dream-eus

The library is open on Sundays from 1 - 5.   Stonecold thinks this is a perfect time to let "new artists" debut their sound styles.  Ai, Caramba.

Downstairs, at this very moment, a man is singing.  Well, HE thinks he is singing.  It is also clear he fancies himself a cross between Rueben Stoddard, Luciano Pavarotti and James Ingram...with some Ray Charles and James Brown thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately, his voice breaks and creaks on the high notes, he is tone deaf and the tunes are mangled by his lack of ability to hear himself....mostly all he has going for him is volume. 

Patrons have asked us to shut him up (sorry, we can't--he's a friend of the boss), have asked for aspirin and one man described it as "a dying bull having illicit relations with a goat."  My grandmother would say "If I heard that coming over the back fence, I would throw shoes at it.  He sounds like ten days of bad weather dragged through a knothole backwards."  Seriously, this is nails on the blackboard bad. 

I don't want to destroy his dream, but his dream is interfering with other people's ability to hear themselves think!

I love those expressions!  Your grandmother's expression reminds me of that of my friend's dad, who has so many great sayings I once took to writing them down.  One of them was that he felt like he was pulled through a knothole backwards or "I feel like 10 lbs of excrement shoved into a 5lb gunnysack."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25181 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
I agree. And I hate the emphasis on the dress. I wanted to get my dress for under $1000 and ended up getting it for under $500. :)

I got mine for less than $100 and I loved it! I got it from a department store. It was silver and had shamrocks embroidered on it. :)

Mine was at $100 at the JC Penney outlet in Atlanta. I loved it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25182 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
The SS drivers in the early morning (very dark) and in the driving rain with no headlights/tail lights! I sincerely hope they don't get hit, but other drivers can't see you until they are close to you!

Also, we are having issues with three people in our complex with racing motorcycles that like to peel out at 3 AM. The complex is asking them to leave, since this has been going on for over a month.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25183 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
The SS drivers in the early morning (very dark) and in the driving rain with no headlights/tail lights! I sincerely hope they don't get hit, but other drivers can't see you until they are close to you!

I had the same thing the other day, going to work at noon, while it wsa snowing. Poor visibility, and snow, and half the car had no lights on. Very difficult to see!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25184 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »

Actually, it's a common idea among people who believe that while sex is the single most important thing in life, it can only involve those who are physically perfect.

I suspect the student's opinion will change when she hits, oh, 39.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."