Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5526391 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25185 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
But what about the poor bridesguys?  Are you going to make them wear tuxes with big butt-bows?

Well someone has to and the bridegals are much more likely to harm us if we put bows on their butts.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25186 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »
A short one: Ma'am, please don't get huffy with me when I tell you that you'll have to stay with your kids during an R rated movie. It's the law, and I'm not going to become a felon just because you don't want to see Devil's Due.

I was working at a cinema when Bridesmaids came out in the UK, and the amount of  parents who tried to help their kids sneak into it was incredible. Apparently, because it was a "chick flick", they'd decided that it would be fine for their little froo froos, in spite of it being a 15.

I took to looking parents in the eyes and declaring "It starts with an explicit sex scene and doesn't get better from there." Most of them would grab their little "angels" and run out, scandalised.

(Interestingly, the other largest group going to see the film while I was working was Seniors! I'd always check they knew it was pretty rude and crude, and they were perfectly happy with that!)

This is another misconception I've noticed in popular culture - that today's seniors, and children, are the same as seniors and children from several generations back.

Today's seniors are have had fifty years of "modern" ideas about sex, and bad language, and rock-and-roll. They don't rant about long hair, they tell stories about being hassled for their own long hair. They're not delicate sensibilities from 1910.

Similarly, children today probably know there's something called "sex", and likely a lot about it, by the time they hit Grade 3. If they don't, their parents must have banned TV on them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25187 on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
I suspect the student's opinion will change when she hits, oh, 39.

I used to work with someone who thought that anyone over 30 was a candidate for the old folks' home.  I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when SHE turned 30.

I went back to college at 25 and had a girl thought I was really old (not unkindly, she was just young).  She must be in her late 30's-early 40's now and I wonder what she thinks about that.  Bet her tune has changed.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25188 on: January 27, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

And in some stores, if they feel your wedding date is too far away they won't let you try on dresses, either.
Considering the number of brides who change sizes before the wedding, I can see that as a practical consideration. They don't want to alter the dress when ordering a different size would have been an option.

I can see not wanting to order anything super early.  I don't get why I wasn't allowed to even look at anything.

daen

« Reply #25189 on: January 27, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »

And in some stores, if they feel your wedding date is too far away they won't let you try on dresses, either.
Considering the number of brides who change sizes before the wedding, I can see that as a practical consideration. They don't want to alter the dress when ordering a different size would have been an option.

I can see not wanting to order anything super early.  I don't get why I wasn't allowed to even look at anything.

The salons I've been to don't want to spend time with clients who have so much time when they have customers who are on a shorter time line. Or so I'm told.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25190 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »
Guys, there's a wedding dress thread. Can it all go there?

Recently DH saw a negative review on a restaurant where the reviewer complained that their margarita pizza didn't have seafood.

???

Last I checked, margarita pizza had very little on it besides cheese, sauce and basil. Maybe they were mistaking it for marinara.

z_squared82

« Reply #25191 on: January 27, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
I had a SS yell at me on the way home for not turning right in front of on-coming traffic. I about got out and told him he was welcome to pass me illegally to commit suicide, but decided I didn't feel like waiting for the wrecker to come move everything out of my way to get home.

Instead I turned when I could and let him stew.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25192 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »
Guys, there's a wedding dress thread. Can it all go there?

Recently DH saw a negative review on a restaurant where the reviewer complained that their margarita pizza didn't have seafood.

???

Last I checked, margarita pizza had very little on it besides cheese, sauce and basil. Maybe they were mistaking it for marinara.

Maybe they were thinking Marina pizza? :D

Ginger G

« Reply #25193 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:31 AM »

I saw one where an SS gave a pizza restaurant a one star review on Yelp because they had run out of their regular pizza boxes and had to use a "ugly generic" pizza box. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #25194 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »

I saw one where an SS gave a pizza restaurant a one star review on Yelp because they had run out of their regular pizza boxes and had to use a "ugly generic" pizza box.

I'm reading a lovely book about the American heiresses who went to England in the 1870s and later, to marry into the nobility. I'd heard of some of them, but I was unaware there were so many!
The SS part? The number of reviews on Amazon giving this book 1 star because 'I thought it was going to be a romance story.' The product description page clearly states that it's a work of nonfiction, and not a romance novel. But anyway, why give a book a poor review because you thought it should be of a totally different genre? I want to post a sarcastic response, 'I thought this was going to be a cookbook, but there are no recipes in in! It's a terrible cookbook!'

GratefulMaria

« Reply #25195 on: January 28, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

I'm reading a lovely book about the American heiresses who went to England in the 1870s and later, to marry into the nobility. I'd heard of some of them, but I was unaware there were so many!
The SS part? The number of reviews on Amazon giving this book 1 star because 'I thought it was going to be a romance story.' The product description page clearly states that it's a work of nonfiction, and not a romance novel. But anyway, why give a book a poor review because you thought it should be of a totally different genre? I want to post a sarcastic response, 'I thought this was going to be a cookbook, but there are no recipes in in! It's a terrible cookbook!'

Ooh, sounds really good . . . title please?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25196 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »

They were called buccaneers.   

Chip2

« Reply #25197 on: January 28, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »

"To Marry An English Lord" by Gail MacColl

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25198 on: January 28, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »

"To Marry An English Lord" by Gail MacColl

Which was also the "basis" for Downtown Abbey. I have this but havne't read it yet. I hadn't realized it was non-fiction, which makes me like it better, I think.

MyFamily

« Reply #25199 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

An author I really like has a series I'm not as fond of, but someone gave her two one-star reviews for two of her books because they allude to the fact that an unmarried couple played scrabble together (doesn't get into much more detail than that, I think, since they are cozy mysteries and most readers of cozy mysteries don't want a lot of scrabble playing details in their mysteries), and she'd downloaded the books onto her kindle and didn't want her pre-teen son reading that type of thing.  The fans of the author basically responded as you considered doing.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol