Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5047657 times)

Chip2

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25200 on: January 28, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »

I saw one where an SS gave a pizza restaurant a one star review on Yelp because they had run out of their regular pizza boxes and had to use a "ugly generic" pizza box.

I'm reading a lovely book about the American heiresses who went to England in the 1870s and later, to marry into the nobility. I'd heard of some of them, but I was unaware there were so many!
The SS part? The number of reviews on Amazon giving this book 1 star because 'I thought it was going to be a romance story.' The product description page clearly states that it's a work of nonfiction, and not a romance novel. But anyway, why give a book a poor review because you thought it should be of a totally different genre? I want to post a sarcastic response, 'I thought this was going to be a cookbook, but there are no recipes in in! It's a terrible cookbook!'

Ooh, sounds really good . . . title please?

"To Marry An English Lord" by Gail MacColl

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25201 on: January 28, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »

I saw one where an SS gave a pizza restaurant a one star review on Yelp because they had run out of their regular pizza boxes and had to use a "ugly generic" pizza box.

I'm reading a lovely book about the American heiresses who went to England in the 1870s and later, to marry into the nobility. I'd heard of some of them, but I was unaware there were so many!
The SS part? The number of reviews on Amazon giving this book 1 star because 'I thought it was going to be a romance story.' The product description page clearly states that it's a work of nonfiction, and not a romance novel. But anyway, why give a book a poor review because you thought it should be of a totally different genre? I want to post a sarcastic response, 'I thought this was going to be a cookbook, but there are no recipes in in! It's a terrible cookbook!'

Which was also the "basis" for Downtown Abbey. I have this but havne't read it yet. I hadn't realized it was non-fiction, which makes me like it better, I think.

MyFamily

« Reply #25202 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

An author I really like has a series I'm not as fond of, but someone gave her two one-star reviews for two of her books because they allude to the fact that an unmarried couple played scrabble together (doesn't get into much more detail than that, I think, since they are cozy mysteries and most readers of cozy mysteries don't want a lot of scrabble playing details in their mysteries), and she'd downloaded the books onto her kindle and didn't want her pre-teen son reading that type of thing.  The fans of the author basically responded as you considered doing.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25203 on: January 28, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
Spending $5000(or whatever amount) on a dress if the couple and/or family has that kind of money to spend doesn't mean the bride cares any more about the dress than the marriage and future spouse.  I'm glad everyone got such good deals but it's starting to sound pretty judgemental in here.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking.

I have the guy, and the relationship. Now I have *the luxury* to care about the dress, because the important part is pretty blissfully arranged. It's not like it's suddenly work to be in that relationship.

Also, I spent less than $90 on my dress, but I sure spent a heck of a lot of time! and energy, and creative input.

It is the dress that I will look at for the rest of my life (bcs it's in the wedding pictures), and it's the only garment I've ever worn that tons of people actually focused on.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #25204 on: January 28, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
on SS reviews:

I read a review of a mailbox/shipping business.  One of those places that has mailboxes and you can bring things in to have them packed and shipped for you. 
They went into the business, which they had never been in before,  and asked for some envelopes for free.  The business owner told them he could give them one instead of the larger amount they wanted.

So they gave them a one star review because "the customer is always right".  They weren't a customer.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25205 on: January 28, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
on SS reviews:

I read a review of a mailbox/shipping business.  One of those places that has mailboxes and you can bring things in to have them packed and shipped for you. 
They went into the business, which they had never been in before,  and asked for some envelopes for free.  The business owner told them he could give them one instead of the larger amount they wanted.

So they gave them a one star review because "the customer is always right".  They weren't a customer.

You know I think I'll stop by a car lot on the way home and see if they'll give me a free car. Because the customer is always right.

melicious

« Reply #25206 on: January 28, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »
on SS reviews:

You know I think I'll stop by a car lot on the way home and see if they'll give me a free car. Because the customer is always right.

I hate that "customer is always right" phrase - particularly because it is somewhat taken out of context and used to give some consumers an undeserved sense of entitlement. (Here's the supposed origins of it: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/106700.html)

With such a mentality, then the customer should just get away with anything because they've decided to patronize a business or service. I don't work customer service any more, but I did for several years and have lost count of the amount of times I was treated poorly because some people automatically assumed that as a customer, it was their right to do so.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25207 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »

You might also enjoy "In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess" by Marion Fowler. Five American heiresses became British Duchesses between 1870 and 1914. This is a group biography of those ladies (poor things. Except May Goelet, who picked a decent one.)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #25208 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
There is an extremely nice restaurant near us.  Fine dining, locavore, and yet casual.  There is a review in Yelp, where someone gave them the lowest score possible.  Why?  Reviewer had family visiting from out of town, and they decided to try the place.  Twenty people show up on a Friday night, no reservations, and although reviewer admitted that they were seated in the bar and given free appetizers while the staff tried to get a table big enough for them, they had to leave after 45 minutes because there was still no table.  The stupid restaurant lost out on their 20 person tab!

I was so glad to see comments pointing out that showing up with a huge party at a busy restaurant on the biggest night of the week is a guarantee that you will wait.  Was the restaurant supposed to kick other customers (customers who had made reservations, I might add) out because you are just so SS?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

KB

« Reply #25209 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
Perhaps there should be something on a review site where you can only leave a review if you use (for instance) a code printed on the receipt as a password. That way the company being reviewed could also check back on the transaction and see if it's justified. This could extend to restaurants, hotels, airlines - anything, really!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25210 on: January 28, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
Perhaps there should be something on a review site where you can only leave a review if you use (for instance) a code printed on the receipt as a password. That way the company being reviewed could also check back on the transaction and see if it's justified. This could extend to restaurants, hotels, airlines - anything, really!

I suspect many people would be reluctant to trust the reviews from such a site, as it gives the impression (at the least) of giving the business too much control over the reviews - if the dry cleaner ruined your best dress or the restaurant messed up every order at the table twice, well, maybe they just don't give you the part of the receipt with the code. Or they deny it as a valid code. Weed out all the bad reviews.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

otterwoman

« Reply #25211 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
A business in Virginia has sued in court to get the names of people who left bad reviews. The business believes the reviews are not from real customers.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/court-rules-yelp-website-must-identify-seven-negat/?utm_source=Daily+Skimm&utm_campaign=7a50982d57-daily_skimm&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74efee6205-7a50982d57-23992121

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #25212 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
I don't use Yelp at all.  I think the potential for abuse is just too high and there's no system with checks and balances.  Irate customers can be nasty and not always completely truthful.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Tia2

« Reply #25213 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
I saw a similar review on trip advisor for a very basic (Travellodge for anyone who knows the UK) hotel in London.  They were complaining about nowhere to store their luggage, no one to take luggage to the rooms and no amenities in the room.

The bizarre thing is that Travellodges advertise the lack of such things as a way of keeping prices down.  You can get a room in the West End for under £100 a night, so what do they expect?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25214 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
I don't use Yelp at all.  I think the potential for abuse is just too high and there's no system with checks and balances.  Irate customers can be nasty and not always completely truthful.

There's also the problem of reviews that might be artificially high (e.g., left by friends of the owner).