Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5384926 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25215 on: January 28, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »
I don't use Yelp at all.  I think the potential for abuse is just too high and there's no system with checks and balances.  Irate customers can be nasty and not always completely truthful.

There's also the problem of reviews that might be artificially high (e.g., left by friends of the owner).
Our riding instructor asked us if we would please post a review.  I wrote an honest review, no exaggeration, but Yelp didn't post it because it was the only review I had written.  I saw an incident at my auto repair shop where the customer definitely was not right (her precious doggy bit my favorite service associate) and she posted a skewed review on Yelp.  She claimed he kicked her dog among other lies.  I saw the incident and posted another point of view.  My review was not left on the site, but hers was.  That's when I decided not to waste any more time on that silly game. ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #25216 on: January 28, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Today was a  :o :o :o Snowflake.

I was filling my car with gas when another car pulled up on the other side of the pump.

The driver got out and started to pump his gas.
No problem.

Then he pulled out his key fob...

...and started his engine.  :o
While we were pumping our gas.  :o :o

Which was when the guards in the armoured car behind me decided he was an imminent threat.
One covered him from the truck while the other two grabbed him and arrested him

Okay, that last part only happened in my head. :P
I just cringed inside knowing there were two sources of gasoline vapour next to an ignition source -while we we stood on a buried tank of fuel.
I finished up as quickly as I possibly could and got out of there.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25217 on: January 28, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »

I was filling my car with gas when another car pulled up on the other side of the pump.

No problem.

Which was when the guards in the armoured car behind me decided he was an imminent threat.

I just cringed inside knowing there were two sources of gasoline vapour next to an ignition source -while we we stood on a buried tank of fuel.

I have done this by mistake.  I literally was going through the motions and just turned my car on.  And then after I put the hose back realized that I had my car on he whole time.  ::)

norrina

« Reply #25218 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »

No problem.

I have done this by mistake.  I literally was going through the motions and just turned my car on.  And then after I put the hose back realized that I had my car on he whole time.  ::)

I had a situation a couple months ago where I ran my card, pumped my gas, replaced the nozzle, and only when I got back into my car to drive away realized that I had left the engine running the whole time. D'oh!

KB

« Reply #25219 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
Perhaps there should be something on a review site where you can only leave a review if you use (for instance) a code printed on the receipt as a password. That way the company being reviewed could also check back on the transaction and see if it's justified. This could extend to restaurants, hotels, airlines - anything, really!

I suspect many people would be reluctant to trust the reviews from such a site, as it gives the impression (at the least) of giving the business too much control over the reviews - if the dry cleaner ruined your best dress or the restaurant messed up every order at the table twice, well, maybe they just don't give you the part of the receipt with the code. Or they deny it as a valid code. Weed out all the bad reviews.

True, but perhaps the customers could have the option for the code to be hidden, which would still ensure that they at least were a customer, unlike the current situation where you can ruin a business's reputation while living on the other side of the world just because the news has reported some outrageous action on the part of the owner or waiter or something.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #25220 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »

Prefacing my comments with: Yes, having your car running while filling is a bad idea.

That said: It's much harder to blow a car up than people think. Also, for the vapours to ignite while filling a tank you would need a localised ignition source. Literally something right at the fill point. Fuel these days has a very high ethanol content and that vapourises very quickly. An engine block is between 2-3 feet away and 1-2 feet up from said entry point, well away and safe.

However, and to say it again: Having your car running while filling is a bad idea!
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #25221 on: January 28, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »
I don't use Yelp at all.  I think the potential for abuse is just too high and there's no system with checks and balances.  Irate customers can be nasty and not always completely truthful.

There's also the problem of reviews that might be artificially high (e.g., left by friends of the owner).
Our riding instructor asked us if we would please post a review.  I wrote an honest review, no exaggeration, but Yelp didn't post it because it was the only review I had written.  I saw an incident at my auto repair shop where the customer definitely was not right (her precious doggy bit my favorite service associate) and she posted a skewed review on Yelp.  She claimed he kicked her dog among other lies.  I saw the incident and posted another point of view.  My review was not left on the site, but hers was.  That's when I decided not to waste any more time on that silly game. ::)

That's weird.

When we thanked the very helpful real estate agent who helped us find our apartment and asked if it would help to tell either her boss or my husband's employer (which arranged the move) how good a job she'd done, she asked for a Yelp review. I set up an account and, because I figured single reviews might look odd, took the time to also post quick, honest reviews of a couple of restaurants I went to regularly. But it hadn't occurred to me that the site would simply throw away your first review because it was the first--though the bit about the auto repair shop is fishy on a deeper level.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #25222 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
I don't know if I've posted this before, but I once saw someone try to jump-start a car on a petrol station forecourt.  The cashier went running out yelling at them to stop, and the jump-starter called him an "f-ing jobsworth".  I am so glad the cashier was on the ball and realised what was happening!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25223 on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

No problem.

I had a situation a couple months ago where I ran my card, pumped my gas, replaced the nozzle, and only when I got back into my car to drive away realized that I had left the engine running the whole time. D'oh!

I would think leaving the car running the whole time would be less hazardous than starting it halfway through.  I would think the ignition spark would be the most hazardous part.  But this is coming from someone who doesn't know a whole lot about cars.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #25224 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »
I remember Mythbusters did a lot of tests with what was and what wasn't dangerous to do at a gas station, and their conclusion was that it was a lot more difficult to get gasoline to ignite than the warnings indicated. But better safe than sorry, so to heed the warnings anyway ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25225 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »
My least favorite SS and the one that always gets reported to the management is the one who smokes a real cigarette next to the gas pump.  >:(

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25226 on: January 29, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Years ago, my parents owned a gas station/garage.  If anyone tried starting a car at the pumps or smoking a cigarette while pumping gas, we'd hit the "emergency off" button and all the pumps would instantly be shut off.  Of course, it was the SS with the lit cigarette in hand that screamed the loudest, so it was a pleasure to confront the fool with "None of these people, yourself included, can pump a single drop of gas until you put out that cigarette."    Maybe it was the idea of a bunch of angry people who were on the verge of being late for work staging a riot and rolling SS's head out of town, but the SS would usually cooperate....  Usually.  There are those certain people, ya know....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25227 on: January 29, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Years ago, my parents owned a gas station/garage.  If anyone tried starting a car at the pumps or smoking a cigarette while pumping gas, we'd hit the "emergency off" button and all the pumps would instantly be shut off.  Of course, it was the SS with the lit cigarette in hand that screamed the loudest, so it was a pleasure to confront the fool with "None of these people, yourself included, can pump a single drop of gas until you put out that cigarette."    Maybe it was the idea of a bunch of angry people who were on the verge of being late for work staging a riot and rolling SS's head out of town, but the SS would usually cooperate....  Usually.  There are those certain people, ya know....

There are people so addicted to smoking that they'd light their next cigarette off their own sleeve, if it was burning.  THEN they'd try to put the sleeve out without putting out the cigarette.

I might be exaggerating slightly - but having heard stories of people smoking while on oxygen for emphysema caused by smoking...I might not be exaggerating much.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #25228 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
I don't know about the mainland, but here on this island, I notice a static shock when I slide out of my seat and touch the car door.  There are signs in front of the pumps saying to be sure to touch the door and discharge the static charge before pumping.  Since I can't seem to exit my car without discharging that static charge, I don't worry, but I could definitely see that as a danger if one were pumping the gas and touched the gas cap cover (which is metal on my car).  I guess worse would be if you had a fiberglass chassis which doesn't discharge the static.  Then you better touch something metal before you pump gas.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25229 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I don't know about the mainland, but here on this island, I notice a static shock when I slide out of my seat and touch the car door.  There are signs in front of the pumps saying to be sure to touch the door and discharge the static charge before pumping.  Since I can't seem to exit my car without discharging that static charge, I don't worry, but I could definitely see that as a danger if one were pumping the gas and touched the gas cap cover (which is metal on my car).  I guess worse would be if you had a fiberglass chassis which doesn't discharge the static.  Then you better touch something metal before you pump gas.

When you really look at the science of it, it comes down to this:

1) Most days in most places it's not dry enough to be a concern at all.

2) Even when it is dry, there aren't a lot of things you can do which would actually create enough of a spark to be dangerous.

3) Even if there were a spark, gas pumps and cars are designed pretty darn well, so the chances of a spark actually catching anything on fire are low.

4) Even if something did catch on fire, it would be unlikely to actually do much damage.

5) BUTBUTBUT - "low" chance is not the same as "no" chance, so it's stupid to do blatantly dangerous things like smoking while filling up your car!