Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5040354 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25230 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
I don't know about the mainland, but here on this island, I notice a static shock when I slide out of my seat and touch the car door.  There are signs in front of the pumps saying to be sure to touch the door and discharge the static charge before pumping.  Since I can't seem to exit my car without discharging that static charge, I don't worry, but I could definitely see that as a danger if one were pumping the gas and touched the gas cap cover (which is metal on my car).  I guess worse would be if you had a fiberglass chassis which doesn't discharge the static.  Then you better touch something metal before you pump gas.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25231 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I don't know about the mainland, but here on this island, I notice a static shock when I slide out of my seat and touch the car door.  There are signs in front of the pumps saying to be sure to touch the door and discharge the static charge before pumping.  Since I can't seem to exit my car without discharging that static charge, I don't worry, but I could definitely see that as a danger if one were pumping the gas and touched the gas cap cover (which is metal on my car).  I guess worse would be if you had a fiberglass chassis which doesn't discharge the static.  Then you better touch something metal before you pump gas.

When you really look at the science of it, it comes down to this:

1) Most days in most places it's not dry enough to be a concern at all.

2) Even when it is dry, there aren't a lot of things you can do which would actually create enough of a spark to be dangerous.

3) Even if there were a spark, gas pumps and cars are designed pretty darn well, so the chances of a spark actually catching anything on fire are low.

4) Even if something did catch on fire, it would be unlikely to actually do much damage.

5) BUTBUTBUT - "low" chance is not the same as "no" chance, so it's stupid to do blatantly dangerous things like smoking while filling up your car!

redcat

« Reply #25232 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
I used to work in a hospital, and we had to go to fire safety lectures.  One showed photos from a burnt out ward caused by a man smoking a cigarette with one hand and holding his oxygen mask in the other.  The cigarette lit the curtain around his bed.  These are actually made to be flame retardant.  And it was.  Just not in an oxygen enriched environment, such as the one caused by the oxygen mask being waved around.  Then the oxygen lines in the walls ignited.  Because the SS had to have his gag.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #25233 on: January 29, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »

When you really look at the science of it, it comes down to this:

1) Most days in most places it's not dry enough to be a concern at all.

2) Even when it is dry, there aren't a lot of things you can do which would actually create enough of a spark to be dangerous.

3) Even if there were a spark, gas pumps and cars are designed pretty darn well, so the chances of a spark actually catching anything on fire are low.

4) Even if something did catch on fire, it would be unlikely to actually do much damage.

5) BUTBUTBUT - "low" chance is not the same as "no" chance, so it's stupid to do blatantly dangerous things like smoking while filling up your car!

Good points, all.

In this case, it was -17C outside, so the air was very dry.
At that temp, I'm pretty sure that any gas vapours would sink and pool at ground level, which puts them not far from the engine and the hot exhaust system.

Mr. Car Starter did not look like anyone I wanted to approach (although I did try to think up something to say), so I just got out of there as quickly as I could.

Bobbie

« Reply #25234 on: January 29, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »
Years ago, my parents owned a gas station/garage.  If anyone tried starting a car at the pumps or smoking a cigarette while pumping gas, we'd hit the "emergency off" button and all the pumps would instantly be shut off.  Of course, it was the SS with the lit cigarette in hand that screamed the loudest, so it was a pleasure to confront the fool with "None of these people, yourself included, can pump a single drop of gas until you put out that cigarette."    Maybe it was the idea of a bunch of angry people who were on the verge of being late for work staging a riot and rolling SS's head out of town, but the SS would usually cooperate....  Usually.  There are those certain people, ya know....

I once pulled into a gas station were a man had his car running and smoking a cig and pumping gas.  I pulled in and just drove through.

Bobbie

« Reply #25235 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »
I worked in a fast food restaurant in a gas station.  I have seen 4 people drive away with the nozzle in their tanks.  The worst incident I witnessed was a woman had left her small kids in her SUV and one of them put it into neutral.  The SUV rolled back into a pump knocked it over.  Lucky for her, the pump was not in service as it was being installed was not even bolted to the ground.  Unlucky for her, she had no insurance and a suspended license.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25236 on: January 29, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »

Exactly.  "Risk" is the chance that something will happen, times the consequences:

Low probabilty x very very serious consequence = high risk
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #25237 on: January 29, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
I used to work in a hospital, and we had to go to fire safety lectures.  One showed photos from a burnt out ward caused by a man smoking a cigarette with one hand and holding his oxygen mask in the other.  The cigarette lit the curtain around his bed.  These are actually made to be flame retardant.  And it was.  Just not in an oxygen enriched environment, such as the one caused by the oxygen mask being waved around.  Then the oxygen lines in the walls ignited.  Because the SS had to have his gag.

I attended the same lecture, back when I worked for a hospital.

On Yelp, I was reading reviews of the Vet Clinic where I took my cat.  Now I understand that not everyone will have a positive experience, but this one woman's review was just out there.  Her main complaint had to do with the address: the address says that they are located in Bloomfield Hills (upscale suburb), but they are really in Pontiac (working class image!)  The way she went on about it, she was accusing the clinic of pretending to be somewhere they weren't.

Except, I live in the area.  The clinic is in Bloomfield Hills.  And it always has been that city since I was a child.  She also complained that since she thought it was in Bloomfield Hills, she didn't realize how long of a drive it would be for her (she lives south of BH).  Except if she had done the slightest research: Google maps, or Yahoo, or even pick up the phone and call, she would have learned that the cross street is the northern border of BH.

So that was her 5 paragraph complaint: the address misled her.  No complaint about the service, but one star because she doesn't know how to look things up.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25238 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
I was at a gas station once when one of those big lifted trucks came speeding in and parked right behind me. Like, I had to jump out of the way or get hit, it was coming that fast and that close. Guy gets out, truck still running and starts to pump his gas. I'm saying nothing, as he has that look that says, I'm looking for a fight, and I'm finishing up as is. Well another lady on the other side of the pump does say something along the lines of "You need to turn off your car, that isn't safe", to which he proceeds to calmly agree and ceases pumping the gasoline while he turns off his.

Just kidding, this is the SS thread, he looses his freaking mind and starts screaming about how he needs to keep his A/C running because he's not getting back into a hot car. She counters that fire is a heck of a lot hotter (well she isn't wrong), and it pretty much goes down hill from there. They were getting in each others faces and yelling when I hopped in my car and got the heck up out of there.

On the discussion of Yelp: I had a company I had done some work for in the past try to hire me to write a positive review of their company. On yelp and any other online media. They figured I could create a few different accounts using different email address and make the company look good. I refused the job, reported them to the BBB, and have turned down any work from them since.

eltf177

« Reply #25239 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »
Unlucky for her, she had no insurance and a suspended license.

I think that probably cost her...

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #25240 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »

And just to throw this in the argument; diesel engines can be safely run while filling up. In fact, the Oz army manuals used to say this was the proper way to do it. Park up in the truck bays, put on idle, and then fill as normal. Diesel is a different fuel base though. There's a good trick you can do with it . . . but I'll leave it to your imagination.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25241 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »

I attended the same lecture, back when I worked for a hospital.

On Yelp, I was reading reviews of the Vet Clinic where I took my cat.  Now I understand that not everyone will have a positive experience, but this one woman's review was just out there.  Her main complaint had to do with the address: the address says that they are located in Bloomfield Hills (upscale suburb), but they are really in Pontiac (working class image!)  The way she went on about it, she was accusing the clinic of pretending to be somewhere they weren't.

Except, I live in the area.  The clinic is in Bloomfield Hills.  And it always has been that city since I was a child.  She also complained that since she thought it was in Bloomfield Hills, she didn't realize how long of a drive it would be for her (she lives south of BH).  Except if she had done the slightest research: Google maps, or Yahoo, or even pick up the phone and call, she would have learned that the cross street is the northern border of BH.

So that was her 5 paragraph complaint: the address misled her.  No complaint about the service, but one star because she doesn't know how to look things up.

To be fair I wouldn't call Pontiac working class its has some pretty bad high crime areas but since it wasn't actually in Pontiac thats sort of a mute point.

snowfire

« Reply #25242 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
A few years ago we were setting up a professional fireworks show in a local park for the 4th of July.  We had the perimeter roped off with caution tape and no one who did not work for the fireworks company was allowed inside the perimeter.  On top of that, there was ABSOLUTELY  *NO* SMOKING past the tape.  I was taking a turn at patrolling the edge when a couple of women ducked under the tape and were strolling right toward our mortars...with lit cigarettes in hand!  I ran over to them and tried to herd them out but they were having none of it.  I explained that this was a no smoking zone because of about 500 pounds of fireworks.  One of the women got rather snotty with me and said that it was okay for them to be there, she was the wife of the fire marshal.  :o :o :o  I was rather blunt in stating that I didn't care who she was married to, there was no smoking allowed, and that if she really was the wife of the fire marshal she should know that.  We finally got her chased out, but it wasn't easy.
Fireworks don't stop to ask questions about who you are...Flame + black powder = BOOM!

magician5

« Reply #25243 on: January 29, 2014, 11:55:54 PM »
I don't use Yelp at all.  I think the potential for abuse is just too high and there's no system with checks and balances.  Irate customers can be nasty and not always completely truthful.
What you say is true, but I still find Yelp a useful tool. It's usually not that hard to sort out the fairly reliable reviews from the "outlying" oddballs. And then, of course, a user must "take all of the reviews with a grain of salt", and come up with an approximation of the quality of the business, plus a few telling details.

It's all a part of the new skills involved in using the internet ... overlooking flame wars, posts from the business's owners, complete lunatics, and so on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:19:38 AM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

magician5

« Reply #25244 on: January 30, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »

One of my friends used to be responsible for assuring the quality of government-purchased aviation fuel. He told me that just the friction involved in flowing fuel into a tank can build up a sizeable static charge, so it was mandatory to ground each aircraft (usually with a steel chain that touched the ground) while fueling. I'm guessing this might apply to cars, too.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.