Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535612 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25350 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
I would have honked after three.  And then since I'm stopped, might as well call the police and tell them to come tow these dingdangety cars... Those are some hefty tickets for obstructing traffic.

Depending on weather conditions, the police may have declined to write tickets.

English1

« Reply #25351 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
Not sure if this is quite a SS, but related.

I interviewed for a job at another charity and didn't get it, but got a nice phone call from the interviewer saying I'd been great, their 2nd choice, very close run thing. Disappointing but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Went to a specific-for-our-type-of-charity event a couple of weeks later and bumped into interviewer. Said a friendly hello and she then introduced me to the person who had been appointed to the role. Ok, my best friendly hello.

Interviewer then said she was glad I was there as she'd been going to call me to ask me something. New person had lots of experience but NOT in charities, and she was sure I could be a big help. Would it be ok for new person to call me if they had any queries and could I sort of mentor them and help them settle in to working in this field? (to her credit new person looked mortified!) Said something along the lines of 'that will not be possible'.

What? You don't give me the job but you want to use all my knowledge and experience and contacts anyway? Not going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:51:43 AM by English1 »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #25352 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »

I interviewed for a job at another charity and didn't get it, but got a nice phone call from the interviewer saying I'd been great, their 2nd choice, very close run thing. Disappointing but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Went to a specific-for-our-type-of-charity event a couple of weeks later and bumped into interviewer. Said a friendly hello and she then introduced me to the person who had been appointed to the role. Ok, my best friendly hello.

Interviewer then said she was glad I was there as she'd been going to call me to ask me something. New person had lots of experience but NOT in charities, and she was sure I could be a big help. Would it be ok for new person to call me if they had any queries and could I sort of mentor them and help them settle in to working in this field? (to her credit new person looked mortified!) Said something along the lines of 'that will not be possible'.

What? You don't give me the job but you want to use all my knowledge and experience and contacts anyway? Not going to happen.

Woooooow.  You may have dodged a bullet by not being hired by them...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

deadbody

« Reply #25353 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »

My assumption would be that the other person agreed to work significantly cheaper, and they hoped since you are such a charitable person, you wouldn't mind volunteering your time and talents to help them out.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25354 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »
My assumption would be that the other person agreed to work significantly cheaper, and they hoped since you are such a charitable person, you wouldn't mind volunteering your time and talents to help them out.

Either that, or the other person was someone's relative, and it was decided that it was far more important to hire them based on WHO they know as opposed to WHAT they know.

POD to Magpie -- I think you dodged a bullet, too.

nayberry

« Reply #25355 on: February 05, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »

i had sthg similar a few years ago, i was being let go and the boss introduced the new "junior (yeah right!!).

he said "so i told suzy she'll be able to call you to get all the info you have.." at that point i had started laughung and made a comment like "yeah right, good joke!" and as i knew he was serious, i followed up with, "oh you were being serious?? no thats not going to happen". 

he huffed and walked off, luckily i wasn't using him for a reference ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25356 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »
I think that's a good time to metion your consultant rates.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #25357 on: February 05, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

Hence reinforcing the stereotype that people who work for nonprofits shouldn't make a living wage.  You dodged a bullet, English1.

darling

« Reply #25358 on: February 05, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
Not sure if SS or just basically rude.  I'm taking classes at the University and one student is always late.  He will come in from the left door, walk in front of the teacher while she's lecturing and go sit on the right side of the room.  There are available sitting spaces on the left side or he could use the right door. It really annoys me, but unless the teacher says something, I don't think I can comment.
Comment to the instructor. I had this happen last semester, and I debated about saying anything to the student, because I didn't want it coming off as being petty on my part. It would have been nice to know if it were bothering other students; in that case, I would have felt like it wasn't just my issue, but a class management issue. I may tolerate things that feel rude to ME, but if they're interfering with the learning environment, I'll say something.

It could be that the student has a hearing impairment in one ear, thus the need to sit on a specific side of the room (my son has hearing loss in his left ear). Doesn't really excuse the coming in late, but then again, the student may have already talked with the instructor about having to be late for a specific reason, and the need for sitting in a specific area.

MrTango

« Reply #25359 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
I think that's a good time to metion your consultant rates.

I did that once.  It was a company that had laid me off when they deemed that my project was complete.  They neglected to give me the time to train their employees on how to use the database software I set up for them (even though I told them that their employees would need to be trained).  My rates were pretty exhorbitant (they started with a $1,500 signing fee). Needless to say, they didn't call me again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:38:32 AM by MrTango »

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25360 on: February 05, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
Not sure if SS or just basically rude.  I'm taking classes at the University and one student is always late.  He will come in from the left door, walk in front of the teacher while she's lecturing and go sit on the right side of the room.  There are available sitting spaces on the left side or he could use the right door. It really annoys me, but unless the teacher says something, I don't think I can comment.
Comment to the instructor. I had this happen last semester, and I debated about saying anything to the student, because I didn't want it coming off as being petty on my part. It would have been nice to know if it were bothering other students; in that case, I would have felt like it wasn't just my issue, but a class management issue. I may tolerate things that feel rude to ME, but if they're interfering with the learning environment, I'll say something.

It could be that the student has a hearing impairment in one ear, thus the need to sit on a specific side of the room (my son has hearing loss in his left ear). Doesn't really excuse the coming in late, but then again, the student may have already talked with the instructor about having to be late for a specific reason, and the need for sitting in a specific area.

That doesn't explain why he can't use the door on the right side of the room.

Coralreef

« Reply #25361 on: February 05, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »

No hearing problems, he sits in the back of the room and his comments/replies to general class discussions are in context and to the point.

[/right

Shalamar

« Reply #25362 on: February 05, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
I have a friend who was laid off from his I.T. job.  A couple of days later, he got a call from the computer operator, because one of the systems my friend used to manage had died.  (To be fair, I'm not sure if the operator was told that Friend had been laid off.)  Friend said "The good news is, I'm going to help you - THIS time.  The bad news is, if you call me again, my consultant rate starts at $100/hour."  He didn't get any more calls.  :)

Speaking of SS's in the workplace, my husband "Greg's" ex-boss might qualify.  Greg, who works in I.T., was put on a team that required him to be on call 24x7.  When he expressed unhappiness about being on call so much, his boss said "I know it's not great, but you'll get lots of really nice perks."  "Like what?"  "You'll be allowed to wear jeans to work if you got a late-night call."  When Greg indicated that wearing jeans wasn't the awesome perk his boss thought it was, Boss huffed "Fine - you'll only need to be on call for six months, then someone will take over for you."  Six months later, there was no relief in sight.  Boss said "Oh yeah - we tried to get someone to take over the on call duties, but no-one wanted to do it."  Gee, really?  Even with that sweet jeans-wearing offer?  Say it ain't so!

The kicker was when Greg quit his job - his boss was stunned, claiming that he had no idea my husband was unhappy.  So, all those times that Greg said "Take me off this team, I hate being on call this much, I'm stressed out of my mind" didn't sink in, apparently.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25363 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
But he could wear JEANS! What a perk!

I always love when I hear "you can wear jeans" as a perk of a job. Ok, sure, I like wearing jeans way better then office clothes but I don't really think of it as a huge perk. Kind of a small perk.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25364 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
Reminds me on my old job.  Every quarter, if an employee accomplished "xyz" we get a small gift.  Sometimes an actual thing, many times a gift card (mostly a $25 gas card because gas prices were through the roof).  One time, our reward was that we could wear jeans for one whole week.  The VP looked so proud when she made the announcement.  We all looked at each other in dismay.  Many of us are, well, heavyset and don't even own jeans, but most of us could use the help with filling our car tanks.

I don't want to make it sound like we are greedy.  We never ask for the reward program in the first place and would understand if it went away.  But if you give a reward, give us a real reward.  Nobody cares about jeans.  We all wear comfortable clothes anyway since we don't see "outsiders" in our secure building.