Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5081123 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25365 on: February 05, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
I have a friend who was laid off from his I.T. job.  A couple of days later, he got a call from the computer operator, because one of the systems my friend used to manage had died.  (To be fair, I'm not sure if the operator was told that Friend had been laid off.)  Friend said "The good news is, I'm going to help you - THIS time.  The bad news is, if you call me again, my consultant rate starts at $100/hour."  He didn't get any more calls.  :)

Speaking of SS's in the workplace, my husband "Greg's" ex-boss might qualify.  Greg, who works in I.T., was put on a team that required him to be on call 24x7.  When he expressed unhappiness about being on call so much, his boss said "I know it's not great, but you'll get lots of really nice perks."  "Like what?"  "You'll be allowed to wear jeans to work if you got a late-night call."  When Greg indicated that wearing jeans wasn't the awesome perk his boss thought it was, Boss huffed "Fine - you'll only need to be on call for six months, then someone will take over for you."  Six months later, there was no relief in sight.  Boss said "Oh yeah - we tried to get someone to take over the on call duties, but no-one wanted to do it."  Gee, really?  Even with that sweet jeans-wearing offer?  Say it ain't so!

The kicker was when Greg quit his job - his boss was stunned, claiming that he had no idea my husband was unhappy.  So, all those times that Greg said "Take me off this team, I hate being on call this much, I'm stressed out of my mind" didn't sink in, apparently.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25366 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
But he could wear JEANS! What a perk!

I always love when I hear "you can wear jeans" as a perk of a job. Ok, sure, I like wearing jeans way better then office clothes but I don't really think of it as a huge perk. Kind of a small perk.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25367 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
Reminds me on my old job.  Every quarter, if an employee accomplished "xyz" we get a small gift.  Sometimes an actual thing, many times a gift card (mostly a $25 gas card because gas prices were through the roof).  One time, our reward was that we could wear jeans for one whole week.  The VP looked so proud when she made the announcement.  We all looked at each other in dismay.  Many of us are, well, heavyset and don't even own jeans, but most of us could use the help with filling our car tanks.

I don't want to make it sound like we are greedy.  We never ask for the reward program in the first place and would understand if it went away.  But if you give a reward, give us a real reward.  Nobody cares about jeans.  We all wear comfortable clothes anyway since we don't see "outsiders" in our secure building.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25368 on: February 05, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Count me in with those who don't really get the "you can wear jeans to work" thing as a perk.

I work at a job now where we're able to wear jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts anytime we want....  one girl comes to work in her exercise gear.  That's a bit excessive to me, but hey...  Nobody seems to care.

I almost never wear jeans to work.  Before coming here, I had worked for a company where not only did we dress up, but the women seemed to be in competition to see who could be the best-dressed.  I don't have enough jeans to get me through a week of work, but I do have a lot of dress pants that I am perfectly comfortable in.  And given that I had been laid off from my last job, the expense of buying new jeans (and the stress of finding jeans that actually fit me) seemed a little ridiculous given that I could put that money to much better use!

And at that last job, we COULD wear jeans....  IF we paid $5. 

I know it was a way to raise money for the company's pet charity, but seriously????

Shalamar

« Reply #25369 on: February 05, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
Ooh, and speaking of SS's and dress codes - at my old job, the dress code was pretty formal.  Shirt and ties and dress slacks for the guys; dresses or skirts or dress slacks and nice blouses for the women. 

One day, the air conditioning broke down (it was an old building) on one of the hottest days of summer.  The temperature in our office rose to 32 degrees Celsius, and we were all hot and miserable.  The Big Boss announced that the air conditioning probably wouldn't be fixed for at least a couple of days, but not to worry - until it was fixed, the male employees would be allowed to remove their ties.  :o

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25370 on: February 05, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
Ooh, and speaking of SS's and dress codes - at my old job, the dress code was pretty formal.  Shirt and ties and dress slacks for the guys; dresses or skirts or dress slacks and nice blouses for the women. 

One day, the air conditioning broke down (it was an old building) on one of the hottest days of summer.  The temperature in our office rose to 32 degrees Celsius, and we were all hot and miserable.  The Big Boss announced that the air conditioning probably wouldn't be fixed for at least a couple of days, but not to worry - until it was fixed, the male employees would be allowed to remove their ties.  :o

Because ties are very insulating. This is why with all the snowstorms back east, we've seen such a huge rise in tie sales.

Jloreli

« Reply #25371 on: February 05, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
Not sure if this is quite a SS, but related.

I interviewed for a job at another charity and didn't get it, but got a nice phone call from the interviewer saying I'd been great, their 2nd choice, very close run thing. Disappointing but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Went to a specific-for-our-type-of-charity event a couple of weeks later and bumped into interviewer. Said a friendly hello and she then introduced me to the person who had been appointed to the role. Ok, my best friendly hello.

Interviewer then said she was glad I was there as she'd been going to call me to ask me something. New person had lots of experience but NOT in charities, and she was sure I could be a big help. Would it be ok for new person to call me if they had any queries and could I sort of mentor them and help them settle in to working in this field? (to her credit new person looked mortified!) Said something along the lines of 'that will not be possible'.

What? You don't give me the job but you want to use all my knowledge and experience and contacts anyway? Not going to happen.

I work for a non-profit which I adore but sadly I can seem my Executive Director making that same request of someone. Then being gobsmacked and completely put out that they declined the honor.  ::)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #25372 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
I DID do the, "please help out the new person that we chose over you!"

So, I taught hymn studies for chapel, and accompanied for free, and even wrote a proposal to save money on a program (which I found out they ARE using) and got ZERO thanks from the higher ups.  When I politely declined to do the same the next year, they changed some curriculum and used another faculty person. 

Another nominee for special snowflake-
my DS.

last night was DD's last time to perform with her troupe during the half times at men's and women's basketball games at their HS.  She had to be there super early so we were buzzing around the house getting a grab-and-go dinner for her and grabbing camera equipment and the mono-pod. 

As we are heading out the door, DS says, "oh, can I go to the soccer game, also on campus?  Wait while I gather my stuff."

So, we waited just a bit, and DD was still on time. 

The soccer games ended about 30 mins before the basketball games, so when DS came into the gym, he asked for a ride home.

"um, no.  We came as a family, in one car."

"But, I did not realize we were leaving so early and I forgot to grab my calculator do to calculus.  I NEED to get home, now."

He fussed for about 10 minutes. 

Geesh!

He might have gotten a ride from a friend, or maybe borrowed a calculator, or done other homework, but none of that was in his plan,

and, it was all MY fault,

because I did not give him time to get ready.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25373 on: February 05, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Count me in with those who don't really get the "you can wear jeans to work" thing as a perk.

I'm a writer.  It's pretty well established that ANY pants are an optional part of the uniform for my job  :P  (I was happy to discover yoga pants, though, because I'm bad at watching the clock so I can go from "in the zone" to "eep gotta pick up the kids at school!" without having to change . . .)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25374 on: February 05, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »

I'm a writer.  It's pretty well established that ANY pants are an optional part of the uniform for my job  :P  (I was happy to discover yoga pants, though, because I'm bad at watching the clock so I can go from "in the zone" to "eep gotta pick up the kids at school!" without having to change . . .)

Here here!! I take the occasional temp job so I can, um, uh...well see what I'm missing out, realize I've got it good and leave after a few weeks. So I get to see the office culture but think "Boy I do love yoga pants". I put them on in the mornings when I walk the dogs and have often times left them on all day. Hey a pair of sneakers and maybe I've been at the gym all day!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25375 on: February 05, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
The ability to wear jeans at work isn't a perk... it's merely the lack of (one) annoying restriction. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25376 on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
And you notice the jeans were going to be "if he got a late-night call."

MyFamily

« Reply #25377 on: February 05, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
I'm sorry to say there is more than one parent who stops their vehicle directly in front of the no stopping here sign to send their kids across the road to school in the morning. The reason the signs are there? So that kids don't cross the road there in the morning and get hit by vehicles. Distance to the crosswalk? Twenty metres.

We had that at our local school.  A few of us who were affected by this called the police - they started coming out and issuing tickets.  Still happens, but for a time afterwards, it isn't as bad.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Jocelyn

« Reply #25378 on: February 05, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
But he could wear JEANS! What a perk!

I always love when I hear "you can wear jeans" as a perk of a job. Ok, sure, I like wearing jeans way better then office clothes but I don't really think of it as a huge perk. Kind of a small perk.
I can buy work pants that are even more comfy than jeans, and are cheaper. Why would I want to wear thick, hot pants that bunch up at my joints, and pay extra for the privilege?
I had a boss who would come up with 'rewards', and be shocked that none of his employees thought they were desirable. But of course, it never occurred to him to ASK what we'd consider rewarding. He finally stumbled onto Dairy Queen ice cream cakes. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25379 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »
The ability to wear jeans at work isn't a perk... it's merely the lack of (one) annoying restriction. :P

Perfectly put!