Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5627720 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25380 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
Today I watched a woman who had to be 8 months pregnant step out from between parked cars and stroll to the turn lane, walk down that for a while then oh so slowly walk to the other side of the street, stopping traffic in both directions for a few minutes.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25381 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Today I watched a woman who had to be 8 months pregnant step out from between parked cars and stroll to the turn lane, walk down that for a while then oh so slowly walk to the other side of the street, stopping traffic in both directions for a few minutes.

Why?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #25382 on: February 05, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
In my very first "real"job, in the early 1970s, I was informed by my boss, in no uncertain terms, that I could not wear jeans, because it "did not look professional."

My duties? Inspecting farms.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25383 on: February 05, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
In my very first "real"job, in the early 1970s, I was informed by my boss, in no uncertain terms, that I could not wear jeans, because it "did not look professional."

My duties? Inspecting farms.

Jeans too fancy?  Maybe he was thinking more along the line of bib overalls and muck boots.

misha412

« Reply #25384 on: February 05, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »
I have a friend who was laid off from his I.T. job.  A couple of days later, he got a call from the computer operator, because one of the systems my friend used to manage had died.  (To be fair, I'm not sure if the operator was told that Friend had been laid off.)  Friend said "The good news is, I'm going to help you - THIS time.  The bad news is, if you call me again, my consultant rate starts at $100/hour."  He didn't get any more calls.  :)

Kinda related. I worked in IT for about 14 years. One of my employers decided to outsource part of its IT function. Some people were kept in the company while the rest of us became employees of a consultant company. Each IT work group had an in-house team and a consultant team.

I was part of a consultant team that supported IT systems that ran major manufacturing production lines for the company I used to work for. We had a team of four people who had to go on a 24/7 beeper rotation, each taking one week on a rotating basis. That was on top of doing the work we had to do during the day supporting/adding new functionality, etc. I was the senior member of the team with the most experience and knowledge of the systems at that point.

The consultant company wanted to cut its expenses and decided I was no longer needed. So, I got a month's notice but quit a week later after getting another job.

I got a message left on my home answering machine less than two weeks after quitting asking me to come back with a significant raise. Apparently, when I walked out, they started having problems with some of their systems and the rest of the team was struggling to keep up. They found that a team of three could not handle the work of four plus doing all the 24/7 support work needed.

I never returned the call.

Dr. F.

« Reply #25385 on: February 05, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
I'm afraid I was an SS associate the other day.

I didn't want to be an SS, and I was trying to reduce the SSness of the situation, but couldn't.

I was checking out at the grocery store. I didn't have too many items, so it shouldn't have taken that long. Rather unfortunately, the checker noticed that I was buying some dog treats. The checker jumped on this and decided that she needed to show me photos of her son's dog on her phone, only her phone was taking forever to come up and she wasn't checking items while she was fussing at her phone.

It took probably 10 minutes more to check me out than it should, because the checker was DETERMINED to show me photos of her son's dog. It was insane. I kept trying to push things along and say that I'd see it some other time, but she would NOT drop it. There were probably four people behind me in line by the time I got done. I felt horrible, but I don't know what more I could have done.

This same checker gave me heck for buying a container of cleaned shallots when they were out of normal shallots. She said something like, "Hey! The delay is all your fault for buying these shallots instead of the normal ones! I have to have someone go find the price of these rather than just looking up the price per pound!" I mentioned that they were out of normal shallots, but she didn't really listen to me.

I think I will avoid this checker in the future.

HorseFreak

« Reply #25386 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
My employer got upset that I took my regular scheduled day off today despite "a week off and two days off last week!" The week off was for a work-related conference that actually involved longer hours each day that my job generally does plus I was deathly ill for most of it. I was in Florida so it she seems to think it counts as "time off."

Last week my work truck got stuck in a ditch during the Atlanta Snowpocalypse and I walked 8 miles until being picked up by an off-duty police officer for the last 4 miles back to my car at our office. With bronchitis that I was taking antibiotics for. They think I'm the SS for not being enthusiastic about going out in the ice during a state of emergency to fetch the truck that had already been looted via a broken window. I slept nearly 16 hours out of 24 after my trek, only waking to cough up a lung.

I'm pretty sure the Z-pack was the only thing that prevented me from getting pneumonia as I went to the doctor only when I felt my upper respiratory infection moving into my chest after a week. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25387 on: February 05, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »

I didn't want to be an SS, and I was trying to reduce the SSness of the situation, but couldn't.

I was checking out at the grocery store. I didn't have too many items, so it shouldn't have taken that long. Rather unfortunately, the checker noticed that I was buying some dog treats. The checker jumped on this and decided that she needed to show me photos of her son's dog on her phone, only her phone was taking forever to come up and she wasn't checking items while she was fussing at her phone.

It took probably 10 minutes more to check me out than it should, because the checker was DETERMINED to show me photos of her son's dog. It was insane. I kept trying to push things along and say that I'd see it some other time, but she would NOT drop it. There were probably four people behind me in line by the time I got done. I felt horrible, but I don't know what more I could have done.

This same checker gave me heck for buying a container of cleaned shallots when they were out of normal shallots. She said something like, "Hey! The delay is all your fault for buying these shallots instead of the normal ones! I have to have someone go find the price of these rather than just looking up the price per pound!" I mentioned that they were out of normal shallots, but she didn't really listen to me.

I vote not SS.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25388 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Stay at home moms have no dress code...although I have been known to joke that "in Texas, denim or jeans are never the worst choice".

Then I saw somebody wearing some worn, ripped jeans that made me change my mind....

At least they had a leotard & dance tights (or something similar) under them....the only thing that was holding those jeans up were the zipper, the waistband, and the pockets - because the keys were in one pocket and their cell phone in the other....

I was amazed that there wasn't a hole in the pockets that the phone could fall through....

In my area it's not uncommon to see women show up in pjs to collect their kids from school at the end of the day, and women who are well endowed clearly not wearing any *ahem* support.  Or dads showing up in t-shirts with offensive slogans and pants with waistbands that are at least a foot from their hips, let alone the natural waistline. 

I don't see that anymore but only because my eldest is in middle school so he gets bussed, my middle son walks on his own and the littlest one isn't even in prek but man when I did go I felt dressed up wearing jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #25389 on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »

Why?

No clue. The sad part is that she started a whopping 10 feet from an official cross walk that has a very short wait.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25390 on: February 06, 2014, 12:20:02 AM »
Stay at home moms have no dress code...although I have been known to joke that "in Texas, denim or jeans are never the worst choice".

Then I saw somebody wearing some worn, ripped jeans that made me change my mind....

At least they had a leotard & dance tights (or something similar) under them....the only thing that was holding those jeans up were the zipper, the waistband, and the pockets - because the keys were in one pocket and their cell phone in the other....

I was amazed that there wasn't a hole in the pockets that the phone could fall through....

In my area it's not uncommon to see women show up in pjs to collect their kids from school at the end of the day, and women who are well endowed clearly not wearing any *ahem* support.  Or dads showing up in t-shirts with offensive slogans and pants with waistbands that are at least a foot from their hips, let alone the natural waistline. 

I don't see that anymore but only because my eldest is in middle school so he gets bussed, my middle son walks on his own and the littlest one isn't even in prek but man when I did go I felt dressed up wearing jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.

There's a homeschool comic strip, and one week it showed the dad coming home from work to see the kids in pjs.  He asked the kids why they were in pjs, and they said, "Mom likes to call these our school uniforms."  Heh.  (For the record, the kids and I always get dressed.)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #25391 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:33 AM »

What could you have done? If you wanted to go extreme, pick up your groceries and leave for another line, then report her to management. Most places do not allow cashiers to have a phone at all while they are working, let alone hold up the line while they are fiddling with it.

You could also take the phone out of her hand, put it on the counter and say a very stern NO. But I'm not sure about getting into a possible tug-of-war with her and her phone. Better to just leave.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25392 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:30 AM »
I'd avoid her too, and report her to management.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midge

« Reply #25393 on: February 06, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »
I just remembered this one:  We took our little one to see the Santa Clause parade back in December.  In-laws, and DH found a spot where it was *only* 3 people deep.  :P  So they're standing there, and a family (several adults) wends their way through the crowd. 

The family didn't say "excuse me", just used their hands to gently move people out of the way.  The in-laws thought the family wanted to cross the street, so they moved back half a step to make room. Since we're in this thread, you know what happened.  The family stopped right in front of my family.  They just wanted to get as close to the front of the crowd as possible, and didn't even notice/care that they stopped in front of other people and blocked the view.  My in-laws were not impressed, and neither was my DH, who had to boost our little one onto his shoulders for the length of the parade just so she could see the floats.

Years ago my hubby and I took my mom to our town's holiday parade. She was about 70 then, and about four and half feet tall (no joke). We got there early, and got a spot on the curb for all of us. Two women with three or four kids between them came and took the spot right next to us. Right before the parade starts, three grown women push all the way through and stand right in front of my mom and the kids. One of the women who was already there tapped one of the newcomers/blockers on the shoulder and said "Don't you feel bad about blocking the view of a bunch of little kids and an old lady? I would."

Not particularly etiquette approved, but it did get them to move. We thanked the woman and we all bonded in a "Really, who DOES that?" moment.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25394 on: February 06, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
A pet peeve of mine are the parade SS people. 

Friends are in the parade so you arrive early with a camera to get a place right behind the police barricades. 

A couple with several small children arrive.  Would I mind if the kid's sat on the curb in front of me?  Of course not. 

Another couple of the same family show up with another child or two.    They have Grandma and a lawn chair for her.  She gets set up outside the barricade to watch the children while the parents go back to get the coolers and the rest of the clan.  Although the crowd is thin elsewhere, this particular spot is getting a bit crowded. Well, I picked it because it offered a good view. 

Enter the balloon vendor. Soon my view is almost completely blocked by Dora the Explorer, Batman, a Disney Princess and a dolphin or two. I start to feel like I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. 

The parade is coming.  Drums can be heard in the distance.  It's time for the police to clean things up.  Because the first unit of the parade is a mounted color guard, everyone must get behind the barricades.  Time for the other members of the SS family to ooze forward. 

I'm now about four rows back. And my hopes of getting any decent photos are between slim and nil.

Time to go home and get a beer.