Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5105786 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25380 on: February 05, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »
One place that I worked would let you wear jeans on Casual Friday if you'd made a charitable donation through the United Way (didn't matter which charity and it could be the minimum - I think $24 a year - $2 a month or $1 a pay period, as we got paid the first & 15th of the month). 

I would have had to BUY jeans to wear to Casual Friday - I think that I did have a denim skirt (you couldn't wear denim to work except on Casual Friday and *if* you'd donated through the United Way, period).  But I rather liked "dressing well" for work instead of wearing jeans & a t-shirt - I wore those at home to clean house or do yard work (when I couldn't get someone else to do the yard work - I'm so allergic to air born pollen that I really hate being outside around plants and have ever since I was about eight).

But there were people who WANTED to wear jeans and a t-shirt (company logo or plain with a pocket - the dress code was spelled out but so many of the co-workers apparently couldn't tell what the words longer than four letters meant).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25381 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
One place that I worked would let you wear jeans on Casual Friday if you'd made a charitable donation through the United Way (didn't matter which charity and it could be the minimum - I think $24 a year - $2 a month or $1 a pay period, as we got paid the first & 15th of the month). 

I would have had to BUY jeans to wear to Casual Friday - I think that I did have a denim skirt (you couldn't wear denim to work except on Casual Friday and *if* you'd donated through the United Way, period).  But I rather liked "dressing well" for work instead of wearing jeans & a t-shirt - I wore those at home to clean house or do yard work (when I couldn't get someone else to do the yard work - I'm so allergic to air born pollen that I really hate being outside around plants and have ever since I was about eight).

But there were people who WANTED to wear jeans and a t-shirt (company logo or plain with a pocket - the dress code was spelled out but so many of the co-workers apparently couldn't tell what the words longer than four letters meant).

I probably would if I worked in an office and could afford it (there have been times my budget was tight enough that nope, that extra $2 a month just was out of my range). But then I also own..well lets just go with a lot of jeans. I could not do laundry for 2 weeks, wear jeans everyday, and I think I'd still have a few clean pairs, so over 14...but not quiet 20. But I only own a few dress slacks and skirts/dresses, because I don't work in an office and don't wear them until I have too.

Partner's boss just got HR to ok her department to wear jeans at all times. They'd been asking for years so he told them if they got a project done early he'd make the push to HR, they did so he made the push. But he didn't seem to consider it a reward, they don't work with the public and he could never understand why they couldn't just wear jeans if they wanted too. Partner seems to think he wasn't so sure they could pull it off, and has praised and rewarded them in other ways since they did. Partner is happy because like me she also owns a good amount of jeans but exactly 5 pairs of dress slacks.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25382 on: February 05, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
Stay at home moms have no dress code...although I have been known to joke that "in Texas, denim or jeans are never the worst choice".

Then I saw somebody wearing some worn, ripped jeans that made me change my mind....

At least they had a leotard & dance tights (or something similar) under them....the only thing that was holding those jeans up were the zipper, the waistband, and the pockets - because the keys were in one pocket and their cell phone in the other....

I was amazed that there wasn't a hole in the pockets that the phone could fall through....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:33:32 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #25383 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
Today I watched a woman who had to be 8 months pregnant step out from between parked cars and stroll to the turn lane, walk down that for a while then oh so slowly walk to the other side of the street, stopping traffic in both directions for a few minutes.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25384 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Today I watched a woman who had to be 8 months pregnant step out from between parked cars and stroll to the turn lane, walk down that for a while then oh so slowly walk to the other side of the street, stopping traffic in both directions for a few minutes.

Why?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #25385 on: February 05, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
In my very first "real"job, in the early 1970s, I was informed by my boss, in no uncertain terms, that I could not wear jeans, because it "did not look professional."

My duties? Inspecting farms.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25386 on: February 05, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
In my very first "real"job, in the early 1970s, I was informed by my boss, in no uncertain terms, that I could not wear jeans, because it "did not look professional."

My duties? Inspecting farms.

Jeans too fancy?  Maybe he was thinking more along the line of bib overalls and muck boots.

misha412

« Reply #25387 on: February 05, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »
I have a friend who was laid off from his I.T. job.  A couple of days later, he got a call from the computer operator, because one of the systems my friend used to manage had died.  (To be fair, I'm not sure if the operator was told that Friend had been laid off.)  Friend said "The good news is, I'm going to help you - THIS time.  The bad news is, if you call me again, my consultant rate starts at $100/hour."  He didn't get any more calls.  :)

Kinda related. I worked in IT for about 14 years. One of my employers decided to outsource part of its IT function. Some people were kept in the company while the rest of us became employees of a consultant company. Each IT work group had an in-house team and a consultant team.

I was part of a consultant team that supported IT systems that ran major manufacturing production lines for the company I used to work for. We had a team of four people who had to go on a 24/7 beeper rotation, each taking one week on a rotating basis. That was on top of doing the work we had to do during the day supporting/adding new functionality, etc. I was the senior member of the team with the most experience and knowledge of the systems at that point.

The consultant company wanted to cut its expenses and decided I was no longer needed. So, I got a month's notice but quit a week later after getting another job.

I got a message left on my home answering machine less than two weeks after quitting asking me to come back with a significant raise. Apparently, when I walked out, they started having problems with some of their systems and the rest of the team was struggling to keep up. They found that a team of three could not handle the work of four plus doing all the 24/7 support work needed.

I never returned the call.

Dr. F.

« Reply #25388 on: February 05, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
I'm afraid I was an SS associate the other day.

I didn't want to be an SS, and I was trying to reduce the SSness of the situation, but couldn't.

I was checking out at the grocery store. I didn't have too many items, so it shouldn't have taken that long. Rather unfortunately, the checker noticed that I was buying some dog treats. The checker jumped on this and decided that she needed to show me photos of her son's dog on her phone, only her phone was taking forever to come up and she wasn't checking items while she was fussing at her phone.

It took probably 10 minutes more to check me out than it should, because the checker was DETERMINED to show me photos of her son's dog. It was insane. I kept trying to push things along and say that I'd see it some other time, but she would NOT drop it. There were probably four people behind me in line by the time I got done. I felt horrible, but I don't know what more I could have done.

This same checker gave me heck for buying a container of cleaned shallots when they were out of normal shallots. She said something like, "Hey! The delay is all your fault for buying these shallots instead of the normal ones! I have to have someone go find the price of these rather than just looking up the price per pound!" I mentioned that they were out of normal shallots, but she didn't really listen to me.

I think I will avoid this checker in the future.

HorseFreak

« Reply #25389 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
My employer got upset that I took my regular scheduled day off today despite "a week off and two days off last week!" The week off was for a work-related conference that actually involved longer hours each day that my job generally does plus I was deathly ill for most of it. I was in Florida so it she seems to think it counts as "time off."

Last week my work truck got stuck in a ditch during the Atlanta Snowpocalypse and I walked 8 miles until being picked up by an off-duty police officer for the last 4 miles back to my car at our office. With bronchitis that I was taking antibiotics for. They think I'm the SS for not being enthusiastic about going out in the ice during a state of emergency to fetch the truck that had already been looted via a broken window. I slept nearly 16 hours out of 24 after my trek, only waking to cough up a lung.

I'm pretty sure the Z-pack was the only thing that prevented me from getting pneumonia as I went to the doctor only when I felt my upper respiratory infection moving into my chest after a week. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25390 on: February 05, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »

I didn't want to be an SS, and I was trying to reduce the SSness of the situation, but couldn't.

I was checking out at the grocery store. I didn't have too many items, so it shouldn't have taken that long. Rather unfortunately, the checker noticed that I was buying some dog treats. The checker jumped on this and decided that she needed to show me photos of her son's dog on her phone, only her phone was taking forever to come up and she wasn't checking items while she was fussing at her phone.

It took probably 10 minutes more to check me out than it should, because the checker was DETERMINED to show me photos of her son's dog. It was insane. I kept trying to push things along and say that I'd see it some other time, but she would NOT drop it. There were probably four people behind me in line by the time I got done. I felt horrible, but I don't know what more I could have done.

This same checker gave me heck for buying a container of cleaned shallots when they were out of normal shallots. She said something like, "Hey! The delay is all your fault for buying these shallots instead of the normal ones! I have to have someone go find the price of these rather than just looking up the price per pound!" I mentioned that they were out of normal shallots, but she didn't really listen to me.

I vote not SS.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25391 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Stay at home moms have no dress code...although I have been known to joke that "in Texas, denim or jeans are never the worst choice".

Then I saw somebody wearing some worn, ripped jeans that made me change my mind....

At least they had a leotard & dance tights (or something similar) under them....the only thing that was holding those jeans up were the zipper, the waistband, and the pockets - because the keys were in one pocket and their cell phone in the other....

I was amazed that there wasn't a hole in the pockets that the phone could fall through....

In my area it's not uncommon to see women show up in pjs to collect their kids from school at the end of the day, and women who are well endowed clearly not wearing any *ahem* support.  Or dads showing up in t-shirts with offensive slogans and pants with waistbands that are at least a foot from their hips, let alone the natural waistline. 

I don't see that anymore but only because my eldest is in middle school so he gets bussed, my middle son walks on his own and the littlest one isn't even in prek but man when I did go I felt dressed up wearing jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #25392 on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »

Why?

No clue. The sad part is that she started a whopping 10 feet from an official cross walk that has a very short wait.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25393 on: February 06, 2014, 12:20:02 AM »

In my area it's not uncommon to see women show up in pjs to collect their kids from school at the end of the day, and women who are well endowed clearly not wearing any *ahem* support.  Or dads showing up in t-shirts with offensive slogans and pants with waistbands that are at least a foot from their hips, let alone the natural waistline. 

I don't see that anymore but only because my eldest is in middle school so he gets bussed, my middle son walks on his own and the littlest one isn't even in prek but man when I did go I felt dressed up wearing jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.

There's a homeschool comic strip, and one week it showed the dad coming home from work to see the kids in pjs.  He asked the kids why they were in pjs, and they said, "Mom likes to call these our school uniforms."  Heh.  (For the record, the kids and I always get dressed.)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #25394 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:33 AM »

What could you have done? If you wanted to go extreme, pick up your groceries and leave for another line, then report her to management. Most places do not allow cashiers to have a phone at all while they are working, let alone hold up the line while they are fiddling with it.

You could also take the phone out of her hand, put it on the counter and say a very stern NO. But I'm not sure about getting into a possible tug-of-war with her and her phone. Better to just leave.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.