Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5417054 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25455 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Evil me would've taken a page from one of George Lopez's skits: "Sabes que, that's mine. I hid that cheese in the back of the bin just for me *licks slice of cheese* You wanna take it ? Didn't think so"  >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25456 on: February 11, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
There is a meeting I attend that involves people of different levels from all our locations. Some of the people who attend like to have a chair to sit their purses in. It becomes a problem when we do not have enough space in the room for the people and the purses to sit side by side.

Today, as usual, there was some sighing and rearranging every time someone came in. Someone even used one of the conference table chairs (rolling) to place their bags in, then pushed it against the wall, instead of using a side chair (fixed) that was behind them. We had someone with no chair because of that.

I find the purse chair proclivity SS when there is obviously not enough space for every single person to have an accessory chair. What do you think?

Coralreef

« Reply #25457 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
There is a meeting I attend that involves people of different levels from all our locations. Some of the people who attend like to have a chair to sit their purses in. It becomes a problem when we do not have enough space in the room for the people and the purses to sit side by side.

Today, as usual, there was some sighing and rearranging every time someone came in. Someone even used one of the conference table chairs (rolling) to place their bags in, then pushed it against the wall, instead of using a side chair (fixed) that was behind them. We had someone with no chair because of that.

I find the purse chair proclivity SS when there is obviously not enough space for every single person to have an accessory chair. What do you think?

If there are extra chairs, purses and coats can be stored on it.  Not enough chairs means purses and coats are hanged on the back of the chair I'm using.  People have priority over objects, unless it's a cooler with an organ for transplant.

[/right

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25458 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »

Today, as usual, there was some sighing and rearranging every time someone came in.

It was behavior like that made me stop attending a particular local church years ago. Especially when two girls trotted over to me one day and said snottily "Those are our seats. We had our purses under them earlier." Said purses were under their arms, btw, not actually under the chair.

melicious

« Reply #25459 on: February 11, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »

Totally SS. I hate when this happens on public transportation, particularly when people act all put out because their need to set their baggage on the seat beside them trumps your right to sit down.

Iris

« Reply #25460 on: February 11, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
At the grocery store:

B/g - my grocery chain has recognized that the deli counter is a real source of delay in the shopping experience, and has taken some great steps to alleviate it.  The first is pre-ordering on-line; another option that they have is the wandering staffer with an Ipad, taking orders from people wandering the aisles and giving them a pickup number and time so they can continue shopping.   Important note:  you don't pay when you pre-order, you pay at the same time you go through checkout with all your other grocery items.  end b/g

I used the on-line pre-order from my house on Sunday.  I chose and ordered my meat & cheese, sliced, and picked the time to come collect it at the bin next to the deli counter.  I threaded my way through the six-deep mass of humans crowded around the deli counter, all politely yet impatiently clutching their little number slips.  I reached the pre-order bin, and started checking the five packages in the leftmost slot, all of which had my name on it.  One woman came charging up to me, and said "WHAT? are you DOING!?"  Completely startled, I said "picking up my order?"  "How do YOU know it's YOURS?" - this was said while taking a step closer to me.  "Well, my name is on there," I said, waving the cheddar cheese, extra sharp, 1/3 lb, sliced medium (because cheddar is brittle and it breaks at the "thin" setting.)

"HOW DO WE" (accompanied by a wave toward the throng at the deli) "know that's YOU?"  Generally, I'm not at a loss for words, but...this time I was.

"Um....you don't."  I tossed the packages in my basket, waved at the "throng" that she'd gestured toward, and headed over to the fish counter.

I....still don't know what happened.  But I was forced to buy three boxes of Girl Scout cookies to calm myself.

Wow. Just wow. I would have been speechless too.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

magicdomino

« Reply #25461 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
At the grocery store:

I used the on-line pre-order from my house on Sunday.  I chose and ordered my meat & cheese, sliced, and picked the time to come collect it at the bin next to the deli counter.  I threaded my way through the six-deep mass of humans crowded around the deli counter, all politely yet impatiently clutching their little number slips.  I reached the pre-order bin, and started checking the five packages in the leftmost slot, all of which had my name on it.  One woman came charging up to me, and said "WHAT? are you DOING!?"  Completely startled, I said "picking up my order?"  "How do YOU know it's YOURS?" - this was said while taking a step closer to me.  "Well, my name is on there," I said, waving the cheddar cheese, extra sharp, 1/3 lb, sliced medium (because cheddar is brittle and it breaks at the "thin" setting.)

"HOW DO WE" (accompanied by a wave toward the throng at the deli) "know that's YOU?"  Generally, I'm not at a loss for words, but...this time I was.

"Um....you don't."  I tossed the packages in my basket, waved at the "throng" that she'd gestured toward, and headed over to the fish counter.

I....still don't know what happened.  But I was forced to buy three boxes of Girl Scout cookies to calm myself.

I wonder if the store has had problems with people taking the packages, figuring "The line is too long.  I'll just take this package of ham."  Not that it excuses the counterperson's rudeness at all.

Or was this one of the other customers?  In that case, I'd be hitting the Thin Mints myself.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #25462 on: February 11, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
At the grocery store:

I wonder if the store has had problems with people taking the packages, figuring "The line is too long.  I'll just take this package of ham."  Not that it excuses the counterperson's rudeness at all.

Or was this one of the other customers?  In that case, I'd be hitting the Thin Mints myself.

It was, indeed, another customer.  And the Girl Scouts only had one box of Thin Mints left, so I was forced to purchase two boxes of Samoas as well as the last box of Thin Mints.  Furtively.  Because, you know, if I snitch random deli, I'm clearly suspect at the cookie booth.
"We ate the pies."

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25463 on: February 11, 2014, 06:15:52 PM »

It was, indeed, another customer.  And the Girl Scouts only had one box of Thin Mints left, so I was forced to purchase two boxes of Samoas as well as the last box of Thin Mints.  Furtively.  Because, you know, if I snitch random deli, I'm clearly suspect at the cookie booth.
[/quote]

Crazy Deli Lady to girl scout: What you mean you don't have any thin mints left?!
Innocent Girl Scout: Well someone bought the last box, I'm sorry.
Crazy Deli Lady: WHO! WHO BOUGHT THE LAST BOX!!?!?!
IGS: That person over there
CDL: WHAT!!! YOU!!! FIRST YOU CUT IN LINE AND STEAL FOOD AND NOW YOU TAKE THE LAST OF THE COOKIES!!!!!!!!

Yeah...that'd end badly.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #25464 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »

Totally SS. I hate when this happens on public transportation, particularly when people act all put out because their need to set their baggage on the seat beside them trumps your right to sit down.

A long time ago, a guy was sitting in front of me on a bus.  Next to him was a shopping bag from Nordstrom.

A woman got on the bus and there were no empty seats.  She saw the Nordstrom bag and asked the man (very nicely) if she could have that seat.

The man acted incredibly put out and told her that he had just bought something very expensive, and he needed the seat for his bag.

So she asked him if he paid a fare for the bag, and he said no, and she told him that one fare meant one seat.  He tried to argue that his bag needed the seat, and she told him that if it was true, he could get up and let the bag have his seat, but she was not going to stand so his bag could sit.

The guy let her have the seat.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25465 on: February 11, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
My philosophy is that the seats at the table are for the meeting participants and any spare seat is fair game for stashing your personal items, but it is rare for there to be a spare seat. There are other chairs against the wall.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #25466 on: February 11, 2014, 07:31:46 PM »

Crazy Deli Lady to girl scout: What you mean you don't have any thin mints left?!
Innocent Girl Scout: Well someone bought the last box, I'm sorry.
Crazy Deli Lady: WHO! WHO BOUGHT THE LAST BOX!!?!?!
IGS: That person over there
CDL: WHAT!!! YOU!!! FIRST YOU CUT IN LINE AND STEAL FOOD AND NOW YOU TAKE THE LAST OF THE COOKIES!!!!!!!!

Yeah...that'd end badly.

LOL!

Heck, yeah, I'd be likely to end up on an episode of some cut-rate detective show....complete with my face in a black blur and altered voice.
"We ate the pies."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25467 on: February 11, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
At the grocery store:

B/g - my grocery chain has recognized that the deli counter is a real source of delay in the shopping experience, and has taken some great steps to alleviate it.  The first is pre-ordering on-line; another option that they have is the wandering staffer with an Ipad, taking orders from people wandering the aisles and giving them a pickup number and time so they can continue shopping.   Important note:  you don't pay when you pre-order, you pay at the same time you go through checkout with all your other grocery items.  end b/g

They have a kiosk at my grocery store where I can order my deli stuff, then return in 15 min to pick it up. Most of the time I walk up they hand me my order. One time someone got upset because I was "cutting" in line. The manager shut the customer down pretty fast. Saying that  I had preordered so that put me at the beginning of the line.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25468 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »

It drives my teammates crazy that I put my purse on the ground. They are all from the same culture - and there is a superstion that if you put your bag on the ground the money will drain out. They know it isn't true - but putting your bag on the floor just isn't done.

My view - I usually have 1 laptop, 1 Ipad, and a phone in my bag. That is a lot of money that is going to get broken if the bag falls from that little hook thing, or gets knocked off a chair - or if it gets stolen. (THe strap is always rapped around one leg and bag between my feet.)

But they always either keep their bag in their lap, on the backs of their chairs or hanging off one of those hook things that you put on the edge of the table.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25469 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »

A long time ago, a guy was sitting in front of me on a bus.  Next to him was a shopping bag from Nordstrom.

A woman got on the bus and there were no empty seats.  She saw the Nordstrom bag and asked the man (very nicely) if she could have that seat.

The man acted incredibly put out and told her that he had just bought something very expensive, and he needed the seat for his bag.

So she asked him if he paid a fare for the bag, and he said no, and she told him that one fare meant one seat.  He tried to argue that his bag needed the seat, and she told him that if it was true, he could get up and let the bag have his seat, but she was not going to stand so his bag could sit.

The guy let her have the seat.

Good for her!  I like her style.