Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5294561 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25470 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »
There is a meeting I attend that involves people of different levels from all our locations. Some of the people who attend like to have a chair to sit their purses in. It becomes a problem when we do not have enough space in the room for the people and the purses to sit side by side.

Today, as usual, there was some sighing and rearranging every time someone came in. Someone even used one of the conference table chairs (rolling) to place their bags in, then pushed it against the wall, instead of using a side chair (fixed) that was behind them. We had someone with no chair because of that.

I find the purse chair proclivity SS when there is obviously not enough space for every single person to have an accessory chair. What do you think?

It drives my teammates crazy that I put my purse on the ground. They are all from the same culture - and there is a superstion that if you put your bag on the ground the money will drain out. They know it isn't true - but putting your bag on the floor just isn't done.

My view - I usually have 1 laptop, 1 Ipad, and a phone in my bag. That is a lot of money that is going to get broken if the bag falls from that little hook thing, or gets knocked off a chair - or if it gets stolen. (THe strap is always rapped around one leg and bag between my feet.)

But they always either keep their bag in their lap, on the backs of their chairs or hanging off one of those hook things that you put on the edge of the table.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25471 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
There is a meeting I attend that involves people of different levels from all our locations. Some of the people who attend like to have a chair to sit their purses in. It becomes a problem when we do not have enough space in the room for the people and the purses to sit side by side.

Today, as usual, there was some sighing and rearranging every time someone came in. Someone even used one of the conference table chairs (rolling) to place their bags in, then pushed it against the wall, instead of using a side chair (fixed) that was behind them. We had someone with no chair because of that.

I find the purse chair proclivity SS when there is obviously not enough space for every single person to have an accessory chair. What do you think?

Totally SS. I hate when this happens on public transportation, particularly when people act all put out because their need to set their baggage on the seat beside them trumps your right to sit down.

A long time ago, a guy was sitting in front of me on a bus.  Next to him was a shopping bag from Nordstrom.

A woman got on the bus and there were no empty seats.  She saw the Nordstrom bag and asked the man (very nicely) if she could have that seat.

The man acted incredibly put out and told her that he had just bought something very expensive, and he needed the seat for his bag.

So she asked him if he paid a fare for the bag, and he said no, and she told him that one fare meant one seat.  He tried to argue that his bag needed the seat, and she told him that if it was true, he could get up and let the bag have his seat, but she was not going to stand so his bag could sit.

The guy let her have the seat.

Good for her!  I like her style.

melicious

« Reply #25472 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »

Totally SS. I hate when this happens on public transportation, particularly when people act all put out because their need to set their baggage on the seat beside them trumps your right to sit down.

A long time ago, a guy was sitting in front of me on a bus.  Next to him was a shopping bag from Nordstrom.

A woman got on the bus and there were no empty seats.  She saw the Nordstrom bag and asked the man (very nicely) if she could have that seat.

The man acted incredibly put out and told her that he had just bought something very expensive, and he needed the seat for his bag.

So she asked him if he paid a fare for the bag, and he said no, and she told him that one fare meant one seat.  He tried to argue that his bag needed the seat, and she told him that if it was true, he could get up and let the bag have his seat, but she was not going to stand so his bag could sit.

The guy let her have the seat.

Good for her!  I like her style.

Yes, she handled the situation with class.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25473 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »

It drives my teammates crazy that I put my purse on the ground. They are all from the same culture - and there is a superstion that if you put your bag on the ground the money will drain out. They know it isn't true - but putting your bag on the floor just isn't done.

My view - I usually have 1 laptop, 1 Ipad, and a phone in my bag. That is a lot of money that is going to get broken if the bag falls from that little hook thing, or gets knocked off a chair - or if it gets stolen. (THe strap is always rapped around one leg and bag between my feet.)

But they always either keep their bag in their lap, on the backs of their chairs or hanging off one of those hook things that you put on the edge of the table.
I once left my purse on a plane because I put my bag on the floor and it fell out. I was sick on that plane, so didn't have the presence of mind to check through my bag as I normally do. And the bag isn't completely closeable, so stuff does just fall out, and in.

KarenK

« Reply #25474 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
I saw one yesterday - the "Oh, well! I guess I'll actually pump my gas after all" snowflake.

The DH and I stopped in at our local Sam's Club to get gas last night, and as we pulled up to the pump, we noticed a woman sitting in her car at the front pump talking on her phone. After a bit of discussion about whether she was going to leave or get gas, we decided to stay at the rear pump and do our business.

While I'm fueling my car, she finally gets out of the car, goes through all the steps to buy gas, and begins pumping. She sets the auto thingy on the nozzle, gets back in her car, and continues her phone conversation. We finished filling and left.

Meanwhile, there is a car behind us waiting, so, although she did not delay us, she did delay them. We have no idea how long she sat there before finally getting out to get gas.

I hope she grounded herself when she got back out of the car. I'm thinking that she must have, as there were no news reports about a massive gasoline fire at the local Sam's Club.

snowfire

« Reply #25475 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
I don't know what it is about one intersection near my house but it seems to bring out the SS behavior.  Yesterday was one of the worst.  I had stopped at the red light.  The left turn lane beside me also had a red light.  Two cars pulled into that lane and BOTH of them just blew through a left turn, against traffic, on a red.  The cars coming from the other direction had to slam on their brakes.  Then both cars turned in to the grocery store parking lot right past the corner. Don't know if they were together, but both were guilty of felony stupid in public.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25476 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
Today, I had to drive to another site in order to conduct training.

On the way there, I had SS minivanus who wouldn't actually pass anyone, just tailgated them. At one point she was so close to me I thought she was going to hit the state car with the bright yellow license plate I was driving. I was so relieved when I turned off and she went straight.  ???

On the way back, local 2-lane road. I get drive-in-the-middle SS. I thought the car was trying to pass, although it was a no pass zone and there was oncoming traffic, but every time there was not a car right there, this car was straddling the double yellow lines in the middle. Finally, I could see a left turn lane ahead, and SS drove past me over the striped yellow section, through the turn lane and then over the median to get to the part where the lanes widen. I still have no idea how this helped them, since they had to turn right like I did.  ::)

Arila

« Reply #25477 on: February 12, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
Another gas station SS:
Our local gas station is set up with quite narrow lanes which I first observed at Costco, and now are popping up all over the place. You are only supposed to enter from one end, and exit on the other. Each gas lane has two pumps - forward and rear, and several HUGE yellow arrows indicating the direction, and which way you turn when you pull forward to "EXIT==>" per the big huge sign and arrow. The single exit lane is a narrow drive which is hard to pass two cars through, and also has another gigantic arrow and "EXIT" on the pavement. I'm pulling up to a "front" pump when some huge minivan comes squealing around the blind side of the pumps to try to go the wrong-way down my gas lane.

What had happened was that since no one was using the rear pump in my lane, she had aborted waiting in line for wherever she was, and done a U-turn to pump that much sooner.  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25478 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
Our Sam's Club is set up like that. There is an attendant at all times and they do tell people to leave if they go in the wrong way to avoid the line.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25479 on: February 12, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Our Sam's Club is set up like that. There is an attendant at all times and they do tell people to leave if they go in the wrong way to avoid the line.

My Costco just got gas a year or so ago, and I've been pleasantly surprised that there have been NO SSs. Its set up off to the side of the parking lot, and has narrow lanes, wiht maybe 8-10 pumps. so you go in, and wherever you choose to go, get in line and wait. Each side can take two cars, lengthwise. And since NJ is full serve only, even if you are the second car getting gas, you have to wait for the one in front of you to go, and you both pull out, and the next two up. There simply isn't any room to go around and manuver to the front pump.

I totally expected a lot of SS behavior because of this, but haven't seen any, and I go pretty much every week. I guess people have realised they move fast, so even if you are done, and the car in front of you isn't, unless its giant and taking in a lot of gas, you only have to wait a couple of minutes to get out.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #25480 on: February 12, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
Another gas station SS:
Our local gas station is set up with quite narrow lanes which I first observed at Costco, and now are popping up all over the place. You are only supposed to enter from one end, and exit on the other. Each gas lane has two pumps - forward and rear, and several HUGE yellow arrows indicating the direction, and which way you turn when you pull forward to "EXIT==>" per the big huge sign and arrow. The single exit lane is a narrow drive which is hard to pass two cars through, and also has another gigantic arrow and "EXIT" on the pavement. I'm pulling up to a "front" pump when some huge minivan comes squealing around the blind side of the pumps to try to go the wrong-way down my gas lane.

What had happened was that since no one was using the rear pump in my lane, she had aborted waiting in line for wherever she was, and done a U-turn to pump that much sooner.  ::)

Being that the gas station attendants have the power to turn the pumps on and off, her wait could have ended up long and with a call to he local law enforcement.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25481 on: February 12, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
I got a gas station SS this afternoon!

I'd gone to a local gas station with my mom, while she was filling up the car I went inside and got us some drinks, when I'm coming out a lady across the little lane waves me on over and asks if I can help her. So being a nice person like I am I head over and ask her what she needs. She asks me if I saw the attendant inside and if he was coming out. I told her there were several employees but no actual attendant. She says "I mean to pump the gas", at which point I figured out she was thinking of a full service station and thought she might be from out of state so I told her that this was not a full service station, it was self service, all smiles, very nice me, I promise. But apparently I said the magic words to unleash her inner SS.

SS: What do you mean self service?
Me: Well, you have to pump the gas yourself.
SS: What?! That's just...god, are you *bleeping* serious?
Me: Yeah, most gas stations here are self service. I don't think I've seen a full service one in 15 years or so...
SS: *Bleep* Well what the hell am I supposed do?
Me: Not to pry, but if you're physically unable to pump the gas they will send someone out....(they have a sign up about helping people with disabilities, not exactly sure how you get their attention for it, never paid close attention)
SS: What?! You think I'm *bleeping* handicapped?! Do I look handicapped?
Me: I don't know ma'ma.
SS: *Bleep*, this is the worst. Do you know where a full service station is?
Me: No, I'm sorry I don't, I'm not sure we have any around here. (I said so earlier...never mind)
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?
Me: Um...(Well, you're driving a car so I'd assume yes but clearly...no?)
SS: Screw it, I'm just gonna call triple A.
Me: Ok great, sounds like you have a plan, have a nice day!

And I escaped to the safety of my mom's car. Who was hysterically laughing because my "Helping people is nice" attitude gets me in situations like these. She's more of the "sorry I can't help you" attitude. Before she even knows the problem. Oh and I checked as I was walking away...in state plates. I mean, still could've just moved here I guess...

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #25482 on: February 12, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
My late great-aunt, who, even while older, was perfectly capable of pumping her own gas and knew how, would go to gas stations and lay on the horn until someone came out to help her. She was definitely an SS, in that and many other ways.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25483 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
I grew up in a state that has all self serve stations so it always takes me a minute when I go up to visit family in NJ to remember I'm not supposed to pump it myself. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25484 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
I miss full service stations, you rarely see them now. There used to be one went to where they cleaned the windscreen while they filled you up and then gave us kids minties.