Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5234903 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25485 on: February 12, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
I miss full service stations, you rarely see them now. There used to be one went to where they cleaned the windscreen while they filled you up and then gave us kids minties.

They also checked your oil and your tire pressure too.  I admit that I miss them and would be more than willing to pay a little bit more for my gas for a full service station!

Library Dragon

« Reply #25486 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
I grew up in a state that has all self serve stations so it always takes me a minute when I go up to visit family in NJ to remember I'm not supposed to pump it myself.

I always forget. When we were stationed at Ft. Dix, NJ, the on post gas station was self service. I was always getting yelled at by attendants off post. They didn't clean the windows though.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

nuit93

« Reply #25487 on: February 12, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
I grew up in a state that has all self serve stations so it always takes me a minute when I go up to visit family in NJ to remember I'm not supposed to pump it myself.

I'm in WA state, I have to remember that in OR they aren't self serve either.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25488 on: February 12, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Nominating my director again.  Tomorrow the New England area is expecting a huge ice and snow storm.  Our Mayor is already telling us to STAY HOME.  The Governor is getting ready to declare a state of emergency.

Stonecold has told everyone they answer to her and not to the Mayor.  We are not, repeat NOT city employees.  (Never mind that our checks are signed by the comptroller and are paid for with taxpayer dollars.)  She expects everyone to be in or they will be docked.  Not being able to get out of the driveway or catch the buses that won't be running is no excuse. 

She isn't coming in HERSELF you understand.

Yup, more union action.  Maybe this time the mayor will even make good on his threat to fire her. 

And since I am talking blizzard snowflakes, I will also nominate the patrons who called last year when the city was shut down for four days and complained that they weren't able to get into the library to "get movies".  As in "We had to watch our old movies because you wasn't open!"  How did they get here?  Well, they WALKED through the three foot drifts, of course. 

While I understand the horror of being trapped in a house with only your family to entertain you, I do think you can find ways of keeping yourself going that don't entail hiking through unplowed streets to get a couple of DVDs.

eltf177

« Reply #25489 on: February 12, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

Isn't that nice? Yeah, maybe the mayor and union will finally do something.

Of course, if they do no more Stonecold stories! ::)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25490 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »

I would LOVE to have a reason to stop telling the stories.  Then I would not need (and my coworkers would not need) therapeutic and chemical help to keep going.  ^_^

The director of another library system told me that she had had a talk with the president of our board and asked him if he realized that we were the laughing stock of the state because of Stonecold's "policies".  He let on that they were going to stand behind her 300% and that they had stopped the mayor from getting rid of her "last time." (I'm going ahead and guessing that was the time she threw a clipboard across the room because all the people attending the meeting were required to sign their names and she announced that she wasn't forced to put up with that *bleep* and walked out.)  All of this used to surprise me, then I remembered how hard it was to get rid of the elected officials who were caught on camera sleeping on the job, going home to watch television all day and taking their kids to Chuck E. Cheese on the taxpayer dollar,  the election official who proudly admitted she didn't send enough ballots to the parts of the city that conformed to a different political party because "they had so many left over last year" and so forth.  We may not be the MOST corrupt in the U.S. or even on the east coast, but we are running someone a close second! 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25491 on: February 12, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »

I am sure that Yarnspinner has at least a few untold stories to add to the archives...but would have to heavily edit them to avoid identifying details.  Sort of like the ending of the old Dragnet television series.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25492 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
And people wonder why so many have a lack of faith in government and public servants... ::)

Amara

« Reply #25493 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
Yarnspinner, I used to be amused at your stories about Stonecold but no more. I truly, deeply feel for you and your co-workers. It sounds so far beyond awful that Jupiter would be closer.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25494 on: February 12, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

I would LOVE to have a reason to stop telling the stories.  Then I would not need (and my coworkers would not need) therapeutic and chemical help to keep going.  ^_^

The director of another library system told me that she had had a talk with the president of our board and asked him if he realized that we were the laughing stock of the state because of Stonecold's "policies".  He let on that they were going to stand behind her 300% and that they had stopped the mayor from getting rid of her "last time." (I'm going ahead and guessing that was the time she threw a clipboard across the room because all the people attending the meeting were required to sign their names and she announced that she wasn't forced to put up with that *bleep* and walked out.)  All of this used to surprise me, then I remembered how hard it was to get rid of the elected officials who were caught on camera sleeping on the job, going home to watch television all day and taking their kids to Chuck E. Cheese on the taxpayer dollar,  the election official who proudly admitted she didn't send enough ballots to the parts of the city that conformed to a different political party because "they had so many left over last year" and so forth.  We may not be the MOST corrupt in the U.S. or even on the east coast, but we are running someone a close second! 

So is there any way to get rid of the board..or at least reassign them to other boards?

Shea

« Reply #25495 on: February 12, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
I got a gas station SS this afternoon!

I'd gone to a local gas station with my mom, while she was filling up the car I went inside and got us some drinks, when I'm coming out a lady across the little lane waves me on over and asks if I can help her. So being a nice person like I am I head over and ask her what she needs. She asks me if I saw the attendant inside and if he was coming out. I told her there were several employees but no actual attendant. She says "I mean to pump the gas", at which point I figured out she was thinking of a full service station and thought she might be from out of state so I told her that this was not a full service station, it was self service, all smiles, very nice me, I promise. But apparently I said the magic words to unleash her inner SS.

SS: What do you mean self service?
Me: Well, you have to pump the gas yourself.
SS: What?! That's just...god, are you *bleeping* serious?
Me: Yeah, most gas stations here are self service. I don't think I've seen a full service one in 15 years or so...
SS: *Bleep* Well what the hell am I supposed do?
Me: Not to pry, but if you're physically unable to pump the gas they will send someone out....(they have a sign up about helping people with disabilities, not exactly sure how you get their attention for it, never paid close attention)
SS: What?! You think I'm *bleeping* handicapped?! Do I look handicapped?
Me: I don't know ma'ma.
SS: *Bleep*, this is the worst. Do you know where a full service station is?
Me: No, I'm sorry I don't, I'm not sure we have any around here. (I said so earlier...never mind)
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?
Me: Um...(Well, you're driving a car so I'd assume yes but clearly...no?)
SS: Screw it, I'm just gonna call triple A.
Me: Ok great, sounds like you have a plan, have a nice day!

And I escaped to the safety of my mom's car. Who was hysterically laughing because my "Helping people is nice" attitude gets me in situations like these. She's more of the "sorry I can't help you" attitude. Before she even knows the problem. Oh and I checked as I was walking away...in state plates. I mean, still could've just moved here I guess...

The heck? I'm from Oregon, one of (I believe) two states in the Union where pumping your own gas is illegal, and the first time I drove out of state by myself it took me all of 2 minutes to figure out how to pump my own gas, despite never having done it before. It's not rocket science.

Although now, living in the frozen Great White North, I miss having a guy come over to fill up my tank for me while I wait in the toasty warm car.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #25496 on: February 12, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
Snow flake failure to merge.

This afternoon I was attempting to merge on to the interstate (I live a rural area, the interstate had a fair amount of traffic, but usually plenty of room to move over when someone is trying to merge on). As I turned on to the entrance ramp, I looked down/over and saw that there were no vehicles on the road, so I sped up to the speed limit on the interstate and looked over again 5 seconds later to merge on and I'm glad I did. There was a big pick up truck in the lane next to the ramp. He was going the same speed as I was at that point, and I couldn't move over, so I had to slam on my breaks to avoid going off the road and to be able to move over before the merge lane ended.

The part that makes that person a snowflake (at least in my book) is that there was no one else around on the interstate, he could have moved over without much effort. :(

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25497 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
Snow flake failure to merge.

This afternoon I was attempting to merge on to the interstate (I live a rural area, the interstate had a fair amount of traffic, but usually plenty of room to move over when someone is trying to merge on). As I turned on to the entrance ramp, I looked down/over and saw that there were no vehicles on the road, so I sped up to the speed limit on the interstate and looked over again 5 seconds later to merge on and I'm glad I did. There was a big pick up truck in the lane next to the ramp. He was going the same speed as I was at that point, and I couldn't move over, so I had to slam on my breaks to avoid going off the road and to be able to move over before the merge lane ended.

The part that makes that person a snowflake (at least in my book) is that there was no one else around on the interstate, he could have moved over without much effort. :(

Well the truck on the interstate has the right of way.  It's up to traffic entering the highway to modulate their speed to merge into traffic.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #25498 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
I know that, but the fact that the road was wide open and he could have moved...and well, that's what I would do, I guess I the SS in this one, eh?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25499 on: February 12, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »

So is there any way to get rid of the board..or at least reassign them to other boards?

Ah, more than one of us has asked that over the years.  I was told the board can only be dissolved by the mayor.  Sadly, they are also a self perpetuating board which means when one of their members leaves they invite someone to be on the board...there are no elections.  Almost three years ago, they won a legal point against the city and promised that when legal point about finances became official, they would step down and hold board elections.  Yeah, that hasn't happened, either.  In private, one or two of them will admit that Stonecold is the most incompetent creature on earth.  However, they all like having power over the $$$$$ which they didn't have before.  TBH, we very much doubt that it isn't Stonecold who makes policy anymore...we suspect the board does it because she doesn't know how to or won't.  I've been to board meetings and had others described to me where the board members try to get any kind of answer out of Stoney regarding policies and budgets and....she sits and plays with her smartphone.  Another coworker/union steward told me about a meeting with state officials where a board member had to reach over and take the phone away from her because she wasn't listening to what the officials were saying. And of course, there was the classic meeting where Stonecold got bored, got up from, called someone and left the meeting....and the board didn't realize she was gone for almost forty five minutes.  We'd make a great sitcom.  So basically, a lot of library policy MIGHT be made by a judge with no judgement, an accountant without accountability, a teacher who is unable to learn and several other ethically challenged individuals.....

Anyway, let's not derail the other snowflakes.  If anything happens to Stonecold, I promise to make an entry about it here somewhere.