Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5396343 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25500 on: February 12, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
I'm getting sick of the SS fellow train travellers who use the wide gates because they're too lazy to get out their ticket (or they are travelling illegally without a ticket).    To be clear, the wide gate is clearly marked as being for people with disabilities, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with strollers, bicycles, or suitcases.    Basically anybody who can't safely get through the regular width turnstiles.   The staff do attempt to enforce this, however at certain times it's really hard for them to do so without seriously impeding the flow of commuters or having an unsustainable number of staff on duty. 

Back when I was a regular commuter it amused me a little, because having my ticket ready I could quite quickly get through the turnstile and on my way, while a crowd of people pushed their way through the wide gate.   (Basically, due to the nature of the people who need to use the gate, it doesn't shut as fast as the normal turnstiles.  What that means is if a crowd keep pushing through it won't shut for safety reasons, so they can all keep pushing through without needing a ticket).   Then when I was heavily pregnant it became unsafe for me to use the regular turnstile as it would close too fast and hit my belly - one close call and I stopped. And then I discovered that having to wait and queue in a big crowd to get through the 1 big turnstile gate, just because people don't want to go through the 8 other turnstiles, really sucks.   

I know all about invisible disabilities - my best friend is in her 20s, very slim and very pretty.  I tell you this because nobody at a glance would ever think there was something wrong with her.  But she has very complicated health issues including a rare spinal cyst that leaves her in constant pain, walks very slowly, and means climbing even 1 stair is agonising.  When I'm with her I'm great at coming up with creative routes to get places!  So I know a certain number of people do need the gate and we have no way of knowing which they are. However, there is no way this many people all have invisible disabilities.   No way.   If there were this many people with invisible disabilities in the world, we would be in serious crisis.     Today my stroller was kicked (accidentally) by a guy pushing his way ahead of me through the wide gate.  He was wearing a personal trainers uniform (labelled), carrying a sports bag and a sports drink, and playing with his mobile phone.    A small part of me wanted to call out "Idiocy is not a disability", but of course I did not.  Unfortunately my son is just too big now to carry in a baby carrier, so I have to use the stroller.   I'm also annoyed when I have to wait for the elevators or can't get a seat on the entrance area of the train (there are stairs up and down to the main seating sections, but some people just prefer to sit in the entrance area because it's nearer the doors).   However, those places are technically still for everybody so I get that I can't complain.  It is frustrating when you've spent years leaving the special accommodations for those who need them, and when you need them temporarily yourself others don't show the same courtesy!

I work with people with disabilities and I know how frustrating this type of situation is for them.  I'm of course very grateful that this is a short-term frustration for me and that most of the time I don't have to contend with this type of thing!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25501 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
My coworkers are being kinda SS at the moment, and it's really ticking me off.  >:(

We work on slightly different schedules - when we're not busy enough to have overtime, my coworkers (including our supervisor) work 6am-2pm, and I work 9am-5pm. Right at the moment we're really slow, to the point of sometimes running out of things to do. Slow enough, in fact, that my coworkers (yes, still including our supervisor) have taken to spending at least an hour every morning sitting outside chatting before anyone else (like the boss!) gets in to see them.

Why does this bother me? Because they're also being oh-so-careful to leave plenty of stuff for ME to do, so that after they've gone home I won't run out of work and 'have to' sit around. Not that I would - I've been finding things I can help another area with - but oh no, Deity forbid I might be forced to do the exact same thing they CHOOSE to do every day! >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PeterM

« Reply #25502 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?
Me: Um...(Well, you're driving a car so I'd assume yes but clearly...no?)
SS: Screw it, I'm just gonna call triple A.
Me: Ok great, sounds like you have a plan, have a nice day!

How'd you like to be the AAA operator taking that call?

"So you say you're at Bob's Gas Station... Parked in front of one of the pumps... "

Margo

« Reply #25503 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:08 AM »
On one occasion I was queueing with a bunch of cars to turn, but didn't make it through the green.   Three cars ahead of me went through on yellow/red.   I stopped at the red light (the most definitely red, no question about it, red light!)  The vehicle behind me sat on his horn in fury because I hadn't run the red light....  because apparently he wanted to run it too.    When the light went green he then tailgated me down the side street until I turned off into my driveway (and yes I considered going to a fake location just in case, but I think he was just in a hurry and impatient, not dangerous).  I still find it hard to believe somebody had the audacity to be angry at me for not breaking the law and endangering my safety and that of the other drivers.

I'm ot sure if I have mentioned this on this thread before, but I had a situation a little while back where I stopped at a red light for some roadworks. It was red well before I got there, so not just changing . The roadworks were on a winding country road and the lights were just before a huge bend, so there was no way to see the traffic coming the other way.
Guy behind me decided that the thing to do was to overtake me in order to go through on red...!

Stupid and dangerous at any time, but given that the roadworks were to replace a retaining wall and the half of the carriageway which it supported, so there was literally nowhere to go if he'd met someone in the single file traffic - 7' high stone cliff on one side, long plummet on the other..

MissRose

« Reply #25504 on: February 13, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »
Had to deal with a few SS yesterday in the office.  We had some issues that caused call volume to spike a great deal then the issue was resolved within a hour.  Of course that did not stop some people from:

*Talking to their fellow co-workers around them instead of taking calls to help clear the queues faster

*One person who just had to walk to the large window facing the parking lot to remote start his car 15 minutes before the end of his shift.  There was no reason why he could not have waited till 5 minutes before (like it would make much difference anyways for his car).

*A few whining that they could not go to lunch immediately or work their special projects as the higher manager said none of those until the queues were under control.  Most people I work with I believe can wait an extra 30 minutes to eat lunch unless they are on a special diet or have a doctor's note on record that they must eat at an exact time every day (my opinion only)

Then there were the SS customers:

*I waited 30 minutes+ to talk to someone.  If I was calling in and the wait time was at least 10 minutes or more, I would think that was most likely an indication of an issue going on then call back when the wait time was less to ask about it as it is rare to be short handed staff wise.  I understand if some people are told by their bosses to sit and wait for someone but I am sure the people calling in would have wanted to do other things besides wait up to an hour to be told "yes there is an issue, we don't have details on it yet..." I could not say "do not yell or complain to the agents about things they cannot control like the issue that happened or the wait times, they are doing their best to answer calls & log them.."

*Customers who were asked to try to see if  the issue was resolved when we got emails the issue was resolved & to ask customers to re-test.  Of course some of them had fits when asked to test things after they made the complaint about wait time.  100% of my customers I spoke with who did the requested test noticed things were working again.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25505 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
Amazingly, Stonecold CAVED.  After telling the supervisor staff that we would remain open no matter what the mayor or the governor said regarding the snow....her mini-me just called to tell us we are closed.  My bull headed immediate supervisor is determined to drive in anyway (despite the piles of snow and the fact that the roads are icy) because he senses a trick.  I wished him luck and said I would be going back to bed. 

*sigh*  I am not sure who is the more special flake now...Stoney for insisting she doesn't have to do what HER boss says or my supervisor for trying to prove Stonecold is crazy.  We all love the supervisor, but agree he needs an increase in his medication.  (Also we have all the proof we need about Stonecold.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:57:35 AM by Yarnspinner »

Hillia

« Reply #25506 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?

"So you say you're at Bob's Gas Station... Parked in front of one of the pumps... "

How on earth has she made it through the last 20 years or so of self service only gas stations?  Unless she just (as in last week) moved to your area from NJ or OR, she must have had to pump gas at some point.  She doesn't sound like someone who would have people volunteering to ride with her to do her bidding.  :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25507 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »

At least after they hang up they'll have a good story.

"So...guess what I just got a call for?" of course explaining to the service person where you're sending them and why without laughing might be another problem.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25508 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

How on earth has she made it through the last 20 years or so of self service only gas stations?  Unless she just (as in last week) moved to your area from NJ or OR, she must have had to pump gas at some point.  She doesn't sound like someone who would have people volunteering to ride with her to do her bidding.  :-)

I have a friend of a friend who is the same age as me, she's been driving since she was 16, and lived in our state her entire life. So no self service stations. She has no idea how to pump gas. Because her dad has always done that for her. She'd tell him when she was running low and he'd take her car and go fill it up. She didn't usually drive on road trips but when she did she'd just have one of her friends do it for her. So, a few years back, one day I'm hanging out with my BFF (whose friends with her) and she gets a call that this friend is having car problems and is stranded near us, can we come help? I'm not particularly fond of this girl, but I'm not gonna leave anyone stranded. Her crisis? She's out of gas. Or well, nearly out of gas but too scared to keep on driving and doesn't know what to do. Since I was called to help, I decided to apply the adage about teaching a man to fish and taught her to pump her own dang gas. She still prefers someone to do it for her and her dad still takes her car to fill it up once a week, but at least she knows how to now.

So I know it is possible to somehow never learn to pump gas. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want that knowledge, I mean, it's pretty basic stuff, but it is possible to avoid ever learning it.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25509 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
I find it very hard to believe that woman has been driving for even a SHORT amount of time and hasn't encountered a self-serve gas station before! 

My parents used to own a garage/gas station/convenience store and I started working there when I was about 13.  Pumping gas is NOT difficult. 

However, figuring out what side your gas tank is on.....  that's a whole other story.

Our local gas station is set up with quite narrow lanes which I first observed at Costco, and now are popping up all over the place. You are only supposed to enter from one end, and exit on the other. Each gas lane has two pumps - forward and rear, and several HUGE yellow arrows indicating the direction, and which way you turn when you pull forward to "EXIT==>" per the big huge sign and arrow. The single exit lane is a narrow drive which is hard to pass two cars through, and also has another gigantic arrow and "EXIT" on the pavement. I'm pulling up to a "front" pump when some huge minivan comes squealing around the blind side of the pumps to try to go the wrong-way down my gas lane.

I can't tell you how many people I saw driving around the pump islands because they got out and realized their tank was on the OTHER side....  They'd then come around to the next island, get out, and OOPS!  Other side again!!!  We'd get quite a chuckle out of the folks who did this quite a few times before just driving off....  Apparently our pumps didn't work with their cars.   I can only imagine how this one-ways thing will mess with more than a few minds out there!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25510 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
I find it very hard to believe that woman has been driving for even a SHORT amount of time and hasn't encountered a self-serve gas station before! 

My parents used to own a garage/gas station/convenience store and I started working there when I was about 13.  Pumping gas is NOT difficult. 

However, figuring out what side your gas tank is on.....  that's a whole other story.

Our local gas station is set up with quite narrow lanes which I first observed at Costco, and now are popping up all over the place. You are only supposed to enter from one end, and exit on the other. Each gas lane has two pumps - forward and rear, and several HUGE yellow arrows indicating the direction, and which way you turn when you pull forward to "EXIT==>" per the big huge sign and arrow. The single exit lane is a narrow drive which is hard to pass two cars through, and also has another gigantic arrow and "EXIT" on the pavement. I'm pulling up to a "front" pump when some huge minivan comes squealing around the blind side of the pumps to try to go the wrong-way down my gas lane.

I can't tell you how many people I saw driving around the pump islands because they got out and realized their tank was on the OTHER side....  They'd then come around to the next island, get out, and OOPS!  Other side again!!!  We'd get quite a chuckle out of the folks who did this quite a few times before just driving off....  Apparently our pumps didn't work with their cars.   I can only imagine how this one-ways thing will mess with more than a few minds out there!

I didn't learn how to pump gas until I was 21 (started driving at 17) I'm from NJ, land of full-serve only, and although I went to school out of state, I didn't have my own car until then. And if I was with my parents, which I was, on plenty of out of state trips, my dad always filled up the car.

But, knowing I didn't have a clue, when I got to school, I asked a friend who did know how to go with me, and show me how to do it. so that when I had to, I wouldn't stand there going, duh, duh, what do I do?  even now, 30+ years later, when I travel out of state, I still have a moment of "how does THIS pump work?"

As for the gas tank side, I bought a new car last spring, with the gas on the opposite side of every other car I've owned. I can't tell you how many times as I drive up to the gas station, I'm telling myself "driver side, driver side"

So it is possible to go through life not knowing how to pump gas, but, its easy enough to learn, if you choose to.

GreenHall

« Reply #25511 on: February 13, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

So I know it is possible to somehow never learn to pump gas. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want that knowledge, I mean, it's pretty basic stuff, but it is possible to avoid ever learning it.

Hopefully my quote trim worked.

In late high school, right at the start of (US) driving age, a friend got a car.  I was riding with her when she needed gas.  (I did not drive yet).  We were prepared for the process.  We could not get the dingity-dangity lid off the tank.  We had to ask for help.  I'm sure we provided amusement that day.  Later, with my first car, I realized why it was so tight- the car throws a warning light if the gas lid isn't tight enough.

Otterpop

« Reply #25512 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
I don't remember anyone ever teaching me.  Maybe my dad did when I was too little to remember, or I just watched him and my mom.  I did make sure my girls learned by filling up the car once or twice when they were grade schoolers.

Why anyone would want a woman to be so helpless in this day and age is beyond me.  It's a scary world out there and being stranded on the road due to not being able to put gas in your car is ludicrous.

Come to think of it, teaching them how to put on a spare tire would be a good idea too.  Hmmm...

(Now, not knowing how to open the lid...I've done that while driving someone else's car.  Station manager helped me find a button under the dash).

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25513 on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »
I don't remember anyone ever teaching me.  Maybe my dad did when I was too little to remember, or I just watched him and my mom.  I did make sure my girls learned by filling up the car once or twice when they were grade schoolers.

Why anyone would want a woman to be so helpless in this day and age is beyond me.  It's a scary world out there and being stranded on the road due to not being able to put gas in your car is ludicrous.

Come to think of it, teaching them how to put on a spare tire would be a good idea too.  Hmmm...

My dad taught me to change a tire as a condition of learning to drive.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

MrTango

« Reply #25514 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:32 AM »

My dad taught me to change a tire as a condition of learning to drive.

As soon as I got my learner's permit, my parents would insist that if I was with them when they had to fill up, I would be the one to pump gas & check the tire pressure.  I was never actually taught to change a tire, but the instructions in the owners' manual were clear enough to follow when I had a blowout one day.