Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5278843 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25515 on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »
I don't remember anyone ever teaching me.  Maybe my dad did when I was too little to remember, or I just watched him and my mom.  I did make sure my girls learned by filling up the car once or twice when they were grade schoolers.

Why anyone would want a woman to be so helpless in this day and age is beyond me.  It's a scary world out there and being stranded on the road due to not being able to put gas in your car is ludicrous.

Come to think of it, teaching them how to put on a spare tire would be a good idea too.  Hmmm...

My dad taught me to change a tire as a condition of learning to drive.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

MrTango

« Reply #25516 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:32 AM »
I don't remember anyone ever teaching me.  Maybe my dad did when I was too little to remember, or I just watched him and my mom.  I did make sure my girls learned by filling up the car once or twice when they were grade schoolers.

Why anyone would want a woman to be so helpless in this day and age is beyond me.  It's a scary world out there and being stranded on the road due to not being able to put gas in your car is ludicrous.

Come to think of it, teaching them how to put on a spare tire would be a good idea too.  Hmmm...

As soon as I got my learner's permit, my parents would insist that if I was with them when they had to fill up, I would be the one to pump gas & check the tire pressure.  I was never actually taught to change a tire, but the instructions in the owners' manual were clear enough to follow when I had a blowout one day.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25517 on: February 13, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
I know how to change a tire, and with the owner's manual, I'm sure I could manage if I had to.  But that's why I have CAA - I pay almost $100/yr for membership and rarely use it.  I'm getting my money's worth, dang it!

I don't remember being shown how to pump gas but I must have learned somewhere.  The law here is that you have to be 16 to pump gas.  I was with my Mom one day and we pulled in somewhere to fill up her car.  I had to show her how to pump gas!  I guess either my father had always done it for her or she'd used a full service station.  There were more then and there are still a few kicking around so I can see how she didn't need to learn but I was surprised that my very capable, self sufficient mother didn't know how to pump gas.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SCMagnolia

« Reply #25518 on: February 13, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »

I had to do this too, as a condition of getting my license.   Along with learning to check all the fluids, change the oil, rotate the tires, and other basic maintenance things.   Dad's a mechanic.  He taught my sister and I this stuff for two reasons:  One, he won't always be around and he didn't want some less-than-honest person taking advantage of us when we needed our cars worked on, and two, he wanted very self-sufficient daughters. 

I think he succeeded.   Sissy and I now do most all our basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tire rotations, etc.) ourselves.  Dad will help, just because he likes working on cars with his girls, and because he has all the really good tools!

He also taught both of us that when we did rotate tires, to hand-tighten the lug nuts.  If the lug nuts are tightened all the way with an air wrench, they are next to impossible to break loose with just that tire-iron tool they give you with your spare.  It's not much good knowing how to change a tire if you can't get the lug nuts loose to get the tire off in the first place!

And as a hint, on most new cars, if you look at the gas gauge on the dash, there is a little arrow or triangle next to it pointing either left or right.   That tells you which side of the car the tank is on.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #25519 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
I've got an epic traffic SS that my coworker (Kathy) shared with me.

Kathy, who is a very calm, cautious driver, leaves work and is driving down main road. This is a 3-lane in either direction road which has a lot of bus traffic. She always stays in the middle lane until a certain point because the bus always waits at the corner of side street. Once she passes side street, she pulls into the right lane to make her turn.

Once she makes the right turn, she realizes that there is another car, driven by some big guy, tailgating  her so closely that she can only see part of its hood. She's starting to get nervous being followed so closely, but keeps going at a steady speed.

Then all of a sudden, the car behind her bumps her! Then it does it again! Clearly very deliberately :o. Now she's terrified and doesn't know what to do. She's in a residential area, so she's pulls off to the side of the road and the guy passes her at. She follows along enough to read the plate number and make of car and then heads home.

She gets home shaking and calls the police to report what had happened and gives them the plate, car make, etc....

Well, an officer went to see the guy and reported back to Kathy. Mr. SS admitted to the police officer that, yes, he had bumped her car deliberately, but it was her fault, she cut him off. Apparently, Mr.SS was mad because he was stuck sitting behind that bus on main street and wanted to go around it, but no one was letting him in (I don't know if he had his turn signal on or not), including Kathy (who hadn't even noticed him), so to him, she "cut him off" ::). So once he got around the bus, tailgating and bumping was his way of expressing his displeasure.

The officer asked Kathy if she wanted to press charges, but she said no. She was so rattled by the whole thing, she just couldn't bear seeing the idiot again. It makes me mad even thinking about it >:(!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25520 on: February 13, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

...   And as a hint, on most new cars, if you look at the gas gauge on the dash, there is a little arrow or triangle next to it pointing either left or right.   That tells you which side of the car the tank is on.

Or sometimes there is no arrow, but there is a little picture of a gas tank and the nozzle will be pointing to whichever side opens for gas.

bloo

« Reply #25521 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
The officer asked Kathy if she wanted to press charges, but she said no. She was so rattled by the whole thing, she just couldn't bear seeing the idiot again. It makes me mad even thinking about it >:(!

How horrible for her!  >:( :o

I understand her reasoning but it's a shame Kathy didn't press charges. Having to face consequences for his actions might have helped him. If he decides to get unreasonably infuriated enough to do that to someone who was looking for trouble, the results could be disastrous.

MissRose

« Reply #25522 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »

When I was a teenager, my parents taught me how to change a tire and check fluids and pump gas among other things.  Its rare to find a full service gas station in Michigan.  I have AAA for towing etc as my current car tires are hard to change so it is best to leave it in the hands of pros instead.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25523 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Here's what NYC has done for me:

SS: What do you mean self service?
Me: Well, you have to pump the gas yourself.
SS: What?! That's just...god, are you *bleeping* serious?
Me: Yeah, most gas stations here are self service. I don't think I've seen a full service one in 15 years or so...
SS: *Bleep* Well what the hell am I supposed do?
[
s]Me: Not to pry, but if you're physically unable to pump the gas they will send someone out....(they have a sign up about helping people with disabilities, not exactly sure how you get their attention for it, never paid close attention)
SS: What?! You think I'm *bleeping* handicapped?! Do I look handicapped?
Me: I don't know ma'ma.
SS: *Bleep*, this is the worst. Do you know where a full service station is?
Me: No, I'm sorry I don't, I'm not sure we have any around here. (I said so earlier...never mind)
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?
Me: Um...(Well, you're driving a car so I'd assume yes but clearly...no?)
SS: Screw it, I'm just gonna call triple A.
Me: Ok great, sounds like you have a plan, have a nice day![/s]

Me: Well, good luck.

And I escaped to the safety of my mom's car.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25524 on: February 13, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
I find it very hard to believe that woman has been driving for even a SHORT amount of time and hasn't encountered a self-serve gas station before! 

My parents used to own a garage/gas station/convenience store and I started working there when I was about 13.  Pumping gas is NOT difficult. 

However, figuring out what side your gas tank is on.....  that's a whole other story.

Our local gas station is set up with quite narrow lanes which I first observed at Costco, and now are popping up all over the place. You are only supposed to enter from one end, and exit on the other. Each gas lane has two pumps - forward and rear, and several HUGE yellow arrows indicating the direction, and which way you turn when you pull forward to "EXIT==>" per the big huge sign and arrow. The single exit lane is a narrow drive which is hard to pass two cars through, and also has another gigantic arrow and "EXIT" on the pavement. I'm pulling up to a "front" pump when some huge minivan comes squealing around the blind side of the pumps to try to go the wrong-way down my gas lane.

I can't tell you how many people I saw driving around the pump islands because they got out and realized their tank was on the OTHER side....  They'd then come around to the next island, get out, and OOPS!  Other side again!!!  We'd get quite a chuckle out of the folks who did this quite a few times before just driving off....  Apparently our pumps didn't work with their cars.   I can only imagine how this one-ways thing will mess with more than a few minds out there!

I didn't learn how to pump gas until I was 21 (started driving at 17) I'm from NJ, land of full-serve only, and although I went to school out of state, I didn't have my own car until then. And if I was with my parents, which I was, on plenty of out of state trips, my dad always filled up the car.

But, knowing I didn't have a clue, when I got to school, I asked a friend who did know how to go with me, and show me how to do it. so that when I had to, I wouldn't stand there going, duh, duh, what do I do?  even now, 30+ years later, when I travel out of state, I still have a moment of "how does THIS pump work?"

As for the gas tank side, I bought a new car last spring, with the gas on the opposite side of every other car I've owned. I can't tell you how many times as I drive up to the gas station, I'm telling myself "driver side, driver side"

So it is possible to go through life not knowing how to pump gas, but, its easy enough to learn, if you choose to.

I live in NJ, too, and love the full-service stations! However, I grew up elsewhere, so I learned how to pump gas at a very young age. What's funny is when you see an out-of-state car at a NJ pump, and the driver gets out and starts doing it himself/herself.  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25525 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »

I understand her reasoning but it's a shame Kathy didn't press charges. Having to face consequences for his actions might have helped him. If he decides to get unreasonably infuriated enough to do that to someone who was looking for trouble, the results could be disastrous.

I'd press charges, too. A driver who's mad enough to do that is a menace on the road!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25526 on: February 13, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »

I had to learn as part of Driver's Ed.  Never actually did it, though.  I've always just called AAA or some gallant gentleman pulled in behind me to assist.  Last time it was a South Carolina State Trooper.  Guess he thought a chubby middle-aged woman and an 11 year old boy might need a spot of help.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #25527 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »

I'd press charges, too. A driver who's mad enough to do that is a menace on the road!

I wish she had pressed charges; I would have! She was really rattled by it - even talking about it got her upset! The guy is a menace and he thought he was completely justified! Classic Snowflake!

Hillia

« Reply #25528 on: February 13, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »

I wish she had pressed charges; I would have! She was really rattled by it - even talking about it got her upset! The guy is a menace and he thought he was completely justified! Classic Snowflake!

I had a good one a few years ago.  I had just dropped my DS at school and was headed to work, going north on a major street with 3 lanes each direction and a left turn lane.  I had the green light going north.  There was another car in the southbound left turn lane, waiting for a break in traffic so she could turn.  She had a green light (go if traffic allows), not a green arrow (left turn has the right of way).  She was creeping pretty aggressively into the intersection, so I had no faith that she wasn't going to run the light and possibly hit me.  I hesitated, and this outraged her for some reason - I could see her yelling and gesticulating in her car.  I kept on going, and in my rear view mirror saw her make a (highly illegal and unsafe) U turn in the intersection and come after me.  I was able to stay ahead of her in traffic, but I got caught at a stop light.  She actually left her car and came over to mine and started banging on my driver's side window.  I ignored her, and moved on as soon as I could.  She was wearing some kind of employee badge; I wish I'd been able to read her name and employer because I would have reported her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MindsEye

« Reply #25529 on: February 13, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »

I would have pressed charges.  And not just because I would have wanted to punish Mr road-rage SS.

I would have seen pressing charges as a way of trying to save Mr road-rage SS from himself... because if he tries the angry fender-bump with the wrong person (or in Florida) then he might not live to long enough to try it on anyone else...